Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda above 100K Miles

pcherianpcherian Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Mazda
I am considering buying a used Mazda MPV 2002 MY which has about 100K miles. What have other owners experienced at such high miles..

Comments

• reverend_mikeyreverend_mikey Member Posts: 2
    My MPV is a 93 with over 180k on the clock and still runs fine (once I figure out my fuel pump problem) with only basic maintaince and tune ups done to it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have a 2002 MPV LX with only 67k miles. I bought it used (in excellent condition, one owner) a little over 2 years ago with about 45k miles. I got a bumper-to-bumper, zero deductible warranty good for up to 100k miles or five years when I bought the van. It cost me approximately $1000 (hard to tell exactly how much it cost because at the end, I was haggling for a one-price deal including the warranty).

I am very glad I got the warranty. Over the past two years, I've had the ignition coils on the 3 back cylinders fail (covered), the fuel sending module fail (covered), and just last week the winch for the spare tire failed (covered). I've also had some normal maintenance, e.g. I had the 60k service including a tranny flush, and I had to replace the front brake pads. Plus oil changes, filters etc. I have already recouped my cost on the warranty. And I still have nearly 3 years to go! With what I've read about tranny failures on the 2002+ MPVs with the 5AT, I am really glad I have the warranty. I plan on selling the van just before the warranty expires. I won't need a van any more then--will have only one child at home then.

So my advice is, try to get the repair and maintenance history on the van, and (especially if a part hasn't been replaced already), expect that any part can fail at any time on a van with 100k miles.

P.S. I've also noticed rust starting at the inside lower edges of the front doors, where a lot of salt gets thrown up by the wheels in winter (I live in MN). Something to check for on a van with so many miles. Check that the spare tire winch works, also! The part cost nearly $500!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Did you have to replace your back coils on 3 seperate occasions?

I had to replace #5 (front) coil recently, still under warranty. If one back coil had failed I would have had all back 3 replaced as there is a lot of labor involved (1.5 hours book time), and it would have been cheaper to have them replaced all at once, than individually as they broke down.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I replaced the coils on the 3 back cylinders once, about a year ago. Actually I am not sure now that all 3 failed at that time (probably not), but the dealer recommended replacing all 3 at the same time because of the issue you mentioned regarding labor.
  • sun001sun001 Member Posts: 2
    Hi ,

I wanted to know more on the details on the extended warranty. i am shopping for one as my MPV is 2003.

let me know

thanks
    Sun
    Sorry, I can't help you because the warranty I got in April 2006 was from Ultimate Warranty, which went out of business. (Lucky for me, someone must have bought them and they are still honoring warranty claims!) So that is a cautionary tale about buying an extended warranty from someone other than the manufacturer.
  • ira8ira8 Member Posts: 2
    About three months ago I was travelling with my Mazda MPV 2003 at 60 MPH on the highway and the van just turn off. This just happen again last week. Pull over to side of the road and MPV will start up. Went to the local Mazda Dealer and their computer hook up can not find the problem. Can this be fuel filter problem? Can this be electrical problem?
  • darren7darren7 Member Posts: 3
  • darren7darren7 Member Posts: 3
    hi.
    so i bought a mazda 323 couple of weeks ago....evenntually it has a problem!!!
    it doesnt start so easily and sometimes doent start at ol.....i got it checked ....checked out evrithing,plugs,,fuel pump,injecter....it doesnt work....i need this car to go to work but if it doesnt start at the ryt tym i would b in one hell of trouble......its a mazda astina 1989....sometyms it starts easily....kind of has a mind of it own......

can nyone out there help me out......
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I'd love to help, but from your message it's very difficult to determine the symptoms of the problem. Could you please post in English?
  • FaroesFaroes Member Posts: 6
    Hello ira8
    did you find out of the problem. I have just the same problem.
    Have been 3 time to the local Mazda Dealer and their computer hook up can not find the problem. Have change air and oil filter. He still turn off very often the first 30 min.
    after starting. My Mazda MPV is diesel.
    Did Mazda MPV diesel have 2 oil filter, maybe 1 back on the thank?
  • tcc21tcc21 Member Posts: 69
    Has anyone had to replace a Catalytic Converter on their MPV yet? I have a check engine light that comes on peridocally and the error is a misfire/catalyst message. I've gont to AUTOZONE for the free diagnostics. I went to the friend Polar Bear and they said I need to by a new coverter for a cool $1K...not!

Also; oil leaks - anyone have problems with leading oil on the back side of the engine? I can't pin point it to where it is coming from.

I love the basics of the vehicle but besides the tranny issues early on - why there is no on off overall interior light switch I'll never know. You can turn on the little ones by the mirror or the little one on the tailgate, but no main switch to turn them on after the timer shuts them off!! Annoying! Heat is always another issue. Takes forever to heat up - always has since new and they could never fix it.

Thanks for listening and do reply with ideas or experiences. :confuse:
  • dougmgdougmg Member Posts: 13
    Quite a few years ago I had a Jetta GLX that would do that. Nothing ever showed up on the tests. Finally, after many dangerous stalls the mechanic had it happened to him. It was the RPM Sensor. It failed, so the engine comp can't sense the RPMs, so the engine shut down.

Not sure if that is your problem. Good Luck
  • dougmgdougmg Member Posts: 13
    I have an 03 with 116K. Bought it 5 years ago with 34K. It has been a great van. The tranny is a bit balky in the winter. The engine has had some work done a few years ago which cost about $1000. Overall, its been a great van. I'm trying to decide whether to replace it. Going on a 1200 mile trip to Georgia this summer with two toddlers. A bit worried about reliability with 116K on it. Has been great thus far.
  • mpvlovermpvlover Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 allsport with 115k miles on it and i havent had to even change the factory brake pads yet!! This is with out a doubt the most dependable vehicle we have ever owned. Kudos to mazda! :)
  • jmommyjmommy Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have a 97 Mazda MPV purchased it used and it too leaks oil and trouble with the catalytic converter. I am due for inspection soon and don't went to put a lot of money into the car. My husband wants to put a hole in and try and drain or something crazy like that. Please help if you have any ideas. My engine light is on with the same code (catalytic converter) I tried some gas treatment - didn't work.
    Anyway - thanks for your help

Mary
    Mazda must have a common problem with catalytic converters. Mine is a 2003 with 140K on it. The check engine light has come on periodically for years. I changed two of the sparkplug coils on it and that seemed to take care of the problem. I know that there are many others that have posted on here over the years about it. I know your's is the older model...but still the same problem persists. The function of my vehicle never changed when the light was on. Mileage and power maintained just fine. A new converter is not cheap so I have danced around that issue for years. Good luck.
  • scapjmscapjm Member Posts: 1
    Hi ,
    I found your post because I just purchased a very nicely kept 2002 MPV with only 53000 miles but have read so much about the transmission problems. So, I am considering buying an extended warranty - either the one from the dealer or go on my own. But , I've also read stories about these warranties not being worth it for the big stuff. Please tell me, if you remember or have the info - what is the name of the company and the name of the policy coverage that you bought.
    thank you very much.
    Also, if anyone out there has had a good experience with having to utilize an extended warranty, please tell me your companies.
  • katiuska1120katiuska1120 Member Posts: 1
    I just got this 2000 MVP LX used for $4000.00 and the engine comes on and of but what bugs me is that at 55MPH I hear noises as though the engine is over working and the tachometer goes to 5000. Please help I bought it as is with a 1 year warranty I have no clue I saved forever to purchase and to think the worse is to come really scares me. Have any of you had a similar problem? If so, What should I do I spoke to warranty co. and they say that if the problem is long standing and was there bef. I bought it then it may be on me to pay for repairs HELP!!!!!!
    I had an extended warranty on my 2003 MPV thru Mazda. It was worth every penny! They fixed a tie rod, numerous bushings. Rotted real antifreeze lines and much more. Make sure that the people with the warranty are reputable and will cover the items. Check Angie's List on them. Get references. Good luck. I'm living on the edge now with my MPV having 146K on it. Holding it together with TLC right now.
    I have a 2003 MPV with 146K miles on it. My check engine light comes on due to a catalytic sensor that kicks it on. They check it clear it and it has not affected the running of the engine....yet. Mazda wants me to replace the converter! That is a 1500 proposition. The issue has been off and on for a couple years now!
    Sounds like you may have at true catalytic issue with loss of power or you have the coil issues that can be from water getting into the spark plug wells and shorting out. New coils/caps do not have the pooling problem of water on the top as the originals had. They can crack and water seeps into the plug wells. Good luck! They are a problem riddled unit and have been for most the 2000-2004 years. Things improved from 2004-06.
    Is it a diesel engine.
    I has had a problem with my Mazda MPV 2002 diesel, that the engine stopped when I was driving, I have change the "magnet ventil" on the oil pump, and now
    it is OK. It is easy to change, you can do it self.
  • nutdrivernutdriver Member Posts: 5
    Maybe you are not in overdrive, click the button on the very tip of the shift lever to go in & out of overdrive. Nutdriver.
This discussion has been closed.