Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• parkway2parkway2 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 98 sr5 that has developed on buzz in the gear shift area. (74,000mi) i noticed that the gear shift handle moves slightly. any advice on how the fix the noise? this is driving me crazy!

parkway2
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    You might have a bearing going out. Systems you are having a very similiar. Might want to get it checked out before transmission goes. Been there, done that.
    My old toy truck was out of warranty when it happened, but Toyota new they had a problem with that transmission and replaced the bearings for free.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    So that's where he's been hiding! (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

Bob
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    For the feedback. If anyone has any ideas about the 03 please feel free to post.

Thanks again...
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    First, I don't work for ANY auto manufacturer. I'm just an interested consumer. I have been and driven all over the world and the one thing that never changes is the fact that you can find a Toyota vehicle of some kind there. From the trails of the Rubicon, to the desert southwest, the Baja peninsula, the swamps of the southeast, the snows of New England, the vast wastelands of the mid-east........ no matter how far away you are you can always find a Toyota truck/SUV. As such, I am anticipating the next generation of the 4-runner w/baited breath, like everyone else here. I hope it lives up to it's billing, and here's the ",but" if it doesn't then I may be forced to look else where. I gotta say the latest Pathfinder is some stiff competition. To my mind the new runner would have to equal or beat the PF's price, performance (0-60 8.9 sec), mileage (15/18 mpg), and equipment like available side air bags. I'd also like to see them bring back the locking rear diff, and put in a third row, that dissappears when not in use. I wanna wait till the new model is revealed, but time is getting short. I know the speculation has been getting out of hand, but does ANYONE (reputable) have insight about these particular features? It might keep me from giving Nissan my money. Thanks, in advance for any info and for tolerating such along post.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    i also wanted to get new 02 but it was nothing different than my 96. also told new model was not coming till sept 03. knowing the hassle i went through when 96 came out, i started looking elsewhere, explorer, trailblazer pathfinder. bought loaded pathfinder sticker $35k. not worried about off roading, just quality, good ride,some decent power. pulled 2000# mc trailer with truck loaded 900 mi and could not beleave the difference. going up a hill 65mph with someone on your tail, just step on it and your doing 85, toy would just stall at 65. 4k mi and not one problem. just a guess, but to get comp 03 toy will be well over $40k and hard to get.
  • parkway2parkway2 Member Posts: 2
    thanks dmetzger for the info. any specifics regarding toyota replacing the bearings? ie: service bulletin. i would like all the ammo i can get when i visit the dealer!
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    Appreciate your input. One Pathfinder feature I failed to directly mention, is the 240hp V-6. Unless Toyota puts a whole new engine in the new runner I don't see how this is gonna be beat. The V-6 in the RX-300/Highlander is 220hp; the Landcruiser/Seqoia/Tundra/GX-470/LX-470 V-8 gets 230-245 hp, but the mileage is hurt. Again does anybody w/reliable info have any insight about the possibility of a new engine? If not new what about adapting an existing engine from another platform?
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    As it has been mentioned again and again in this board, the 4runner replacement is probably Toyota's version of the Lexus GX470.
    Regarding Nissan Pathfinder's 240 horse power engine, after 30,000 plus miles, I would say that it has decent power, but not spectacular. You still have to strain the engine when you go uphill with 4 adults and to maintain 70 mph on a interstate. In my opinion, a V8 is definitely needed for a 4,200-pound SUV like Pathfinder.
    And horsepower alone does not necessarily translates exactly into how the car will perform. For example, the Acura MDX also has 240 hp, but its 0 to 60 is almost HALF SECOND shorter than Patherfinder. As someone mentioned in a Nissan SUV board, the horse power ratings of Nissan no longer make much sense any more.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is a new V6 engine coming out soon. It is a 3.8 liter but I don't know the HP ratings. The last I heard, it will be available on the 2003 Runner, in addition to the optional 4.7 liter V8. As the owner of the 4.7 in a Tundra, I can tell you that if they can stuff that motor into the Runner, nothing will touch it.
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    Corporate has confirmed! The 2003 4 Runner has started production and will be at dealerships by June!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, lay your bets gentlemen....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Let's hope your right!
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    Cliffy: As a business manager for a dealership, can you explain to me how the residual value
    or buyout is arrived at? Is it based on pure depreciation? A blend of depreciation and profit? I am not contemplating leasing at this time but I have always been curious about how the final lease-end value is arrived at. How is it higher than figuring out a straight loan using the same term and payments? ( I realize that at the end of a car payments schedule you own something and at the end of a lease you own nothing) I was trying to figure this out using a schedule of
    lease payments multiplied by the term of the lease and found that the cost of the lease was
    about 40% more expensive than simply using the difference between the residual value
    subtracted from the selling price using some known interest factor. Please enlighten me.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    The bearings on my Toy's tranny were on an 82. No info on the newer ones. Thats been 7 vehicles ago for me. Just check it out. May not be the bearings.
    Your question is a bit confusing to me. Your question seems to be going in two different directions. The residual is the amount that you can buy the car for at the end of the term. If you lease through Toyota, there is no easy way to calculate it because Toyota goes off a formula, rather than a straight percentage of the MSRP like most leasing companies.

The residual is always fixed at the beginning of the lease. It is in writing on your contract. It is the amount you can pay for the car at the end of the term. Profit is not built into this figure.

You seem to be asking more about how payments are calculated. Payments are a simple A+B calculation. You take the gross capitalized cost (sales price plus taxes, fees and added product minus any down payment) minus residual and divide by the number of months in the term. That is the "A" portion of the payment and represents pure depreciation.

The "B" portion of the payment is the gross cap cost plus residual, multiplied by the money factor. Money factor varies greatly from company to company and varies by credit situation. At the moment, money factors can go from a low of .0028 to .0048.

Add "A" and "B" together and you have your monthly payment.
  • jbweiss1jbweiss1 Member Posts: 1
    I was shopping for a used 4Runner this weekend and was surprised when the 99 Limited I looked at had the push-button for 4WD Hi for dry pavement and the 99 SR5 did not. I thought the 4WD Hi dry mode was standard in 99? Was it an option on the SR5 and standard on the Limited? Any information anyone has on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    From '96 until '00, the Limited was the only one that had a mode for 4WD on dry pavement. In 2001, the Active-Trac system came on line for both the Limted and SR5.
    You are right about being confused. I guess what I was trying to figure out was the "B" part
    of the equation. I looked at the Toyota Canada Web site under "Price Your Toyota". For
    illustration purposes, say I was to lease a 2002 4-Runner Ltd. Price excluding Taxes is
    $50,830 CDN. The residual is $21,765 on a 48 month lease at 6.9%. The difference is
    $29,065. Monthly Lease Payments (excluding taxes) are $815 for a total paid of $39,125. On a
    straightforward loan of $29,065 over 48 months at 6.9%, monthly payments would be
    appox. $695 for a total paid of approx. $33, 360. This represents a difference of about $5765.
    What is included in this figure?? Thanks, I am counting on you to enlighten me!
    You don't calculate the interest on the depreciated difference. This is because you are using all of the $50,830 worth of vehicle for 48 months. I know this is a hard one to visualize, but think of it this way. Toyota Financial Services buys the Runner from your dealer for $50K. They are out that money until the end of the lease at which point, they get back an asset worth 20K.

If Toyota of Canada is using an interest rate, rather than a money factor, I can't help you calculate the exact payment. Money factors and interest rates are not figured the same way, but as a rule of thumb, if you multiply a money factor by 2400, you get the approximate interest rate. Therefore, your 6.9% rate translates roughly into a .0029 money factor. Plug that one into your figures and see how it comes out.
    Thank you! I am almost there as far as getting a clear picture. This "money factor" then is
    only partially related to a certain rate of interest but contains a component of "lost opportunity
    costs" which is a way of saying what the leasing company (TCCC) believes it could have made if it had invested in ventures other than leasing. Pegging it to an APR is not a true representation of the cost of the lease to the customer. Please correct me if this is not the
    case. Thanks!
    You've pretty much got it. The only caveat here is that some companies actually do use an interest rate. Ford does. Even the ones who do don't figure the interest on the depreciation, but on the entire cost of the vehicle. I don't have a good formula for figuring those.

By the way, there is one advantage to the money factor method of calculation. With an interest rate, you pay more interest during the first half of the loan term. On a lease with a money factor, you pay equal amounts of depreciation and cost of money with each payment. It makes it very easy to figure out your payoff at any given time. Just take your residual plus the depreciation portion of your remaining payments.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    MIA at NY auto show. :( I was there yesterday, and did see the new Lexus GX470, however.

Bob
  • silverhawksilverhawk Member Posts: 3
    Hi, thanks to all who have posted regarding the faulty gas tank and fuel gauge problems. I was having the same problem and didn't know what to do about it until I read your posts.

I went to my dealer and they acted like I was crazy to suggest such a problem, but they ordered the parts and fixed it (under warranty). Now when I drive a couple of miles after filling up my gauge doesn't go to 1/4 tank.

I'm having another problem with my driver's side mirror being distorted. It's been this way since I bought my truck in May '00. The dealer replaced it twice and they are aware of this problem, but they're all defective. They said it's a manufacturer's problem (not a Toyota part) and basically they can keep changing the mirror but they're all be defective and then they say "most people are just living with it". I can't "live with it" because it is highly distracting and dangerous. It takes away from my driving pleasure. I joked that if I got into an accident, I would sue Toyota because it's their defect. Seriously, I am sick of this problem and want them to take a good mirror off another truck or something. Or give me a truck that doesn't have this defect. Isn't this a safety issue? Don't I have a recourse other than "living with it"?

Every time I talk to their corporate offices, they tell me they are working on it. "It's the manufacturer, not Toyota". Well, last time I checked it said Toyota on my truck, not some other manufacturer. It's going on two years now and I want a distortion free mirror. Any suggestions. Please help. Thanks.
  • jt_runnerjt_runner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 4Runner. With the AC on full and the recirculation on, the vent temperature varies between 45 - 50 deg F. I checked our '98 Camry and the vent temperature was between 34 and 38 deg F.

I live in Phoenix and that 10 Deg makes a big difference. Is there any way to adjust when the compressor turns on and off?

Thanks
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    More rumors about the 2003. This is from "OutdoorWire", a good site with 4Runner enthusiasts. Take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=010199

• sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    just got recall on 96 runner, something about faulty rear suspension causing handling problems. most prevelant on 2 wheel drives. forwarded to dealer where i traded.
    This rear suspension problem has been around for a while. I knew my springs were bad last
    summer and came across a Toyota Service Bulletin while looking at a book called "Lemonade"
    in our local library. I talked to my service advisor who was more than happy to replace them
    under warranty (which was due to run out in 4 months). I must also add that I replaced all
    four of factory shocks with Bilsteins less than a week later. What an improvement in
    handling and general ride although it is much "harder". Toyota must have been aware of the
    problem for some time before they issued a general recall.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Anyone ever install the Toyota front mud flaps on a 01 or 02 SR5 with fender flares? My SR5 only came with rear muds, but I want to install Toyota fronts. I have the overfenders. Can it be done? Do you have to remove the overfenders 1st to install the muds.

I haven't seen one with the flaps installed.

Thanks..
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    They don't make mudflaps for the runners with the fender flares. I've seen where some people have jury rigged some Tacoma flaps to work. Here's what one person did http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/rdu/e/_/e_dan/section_mud_flaps.html.

Gary

#9 Toyota 4Runner

Steve
    Host
  • mikeg444mikeg444 Member Posts: 17
    My wife is going to start driving my 97 4Runner 4x4. She has always been reluctant to drive it in the rain as it is "rear-wheel" drive. Question is: if it is raining can she put the truck in 4H and drive as normal without hurting the system? I assume she should turn it off if she gets on the highway. What about if she exceeds 50 with 4H engaged, will that cause problems?
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Steve (cliffy1) and others....

I'm eager to see what the 2003 4runners will be like but I'm also looking at getting a 1999 4Runner. I was looking seriously at 1997 Land Cruisers but, in the end, the gas costs would be a problem with the amount of driving I do. Being 6' with a tall trunk, I can't fit into a 4runner with a factory sunroof. I want to have the center differential (and locking rear differential) which I think limits me to a 1999 or 2000 Limited (SR5's didn't have the center differential, correct?). Can those be found without sunroofs? So far as I can tell, a sunroof is not part of the limited package although I'm sure its common. Without the sunroof, I have about 1.5" between my head and the headliner. A good quality aftermarket topslider sunroof will only take 3/4" of headroom so I should still fit. Is it possible to find a center-diff model w/o sunroof? I beleive the center-diff began in 1999 but if not, please let me know what year it was first available.

Thanks,

Sean Reid
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    You can drive the 4Runner in 4hi in the rain as normal, even on the freeway since the 4wd system will not limit your speed.
  • tenittenit Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had any problems with windshields cracking for no apparent reason on their 4Runner? I have a 98 4Runner and have had 2 crack without any impact from rocks etc.
    You'll have a VERY hard time finding a Limited of any model year without a roof. I've never seen one. You may be able to find a 2001 SR5 with no roof although those are rare as well but at least I've seen those. The 2001 was the first year of the Active-Trac system.
    I was afraid of that. Having owned various AWD and 4WD vehicles, I really prefer to have a system with a center differential so that it can be used on pavement in mixed winter conditions (I live in VT). So, if I can't find a 1999 Limited, I should probably think seriously about a new one or a 2001. That kind of spending might bring me into the price range of a 2003 so maybe I should hold off this summer and wait to see what the new vehicle is like. If it's a non-luxury version of the Lexus GX, I'm very interested. I've done a lot of research and test driving and my ideal vehicle now would be a 4runner with a 2" taller roof and a better suspension. Odds are, something fitting that bill is coming this fall. It seems to me that the new 4runner might be a bit of a baby Landcruiser which would be wonderful - many of the cruiser advantages without the fuel cost penalty.

As for the current generation of 4runners, do you see any downside to the new AWD system (2001 and forward). You've explained it well and I've read a few random comments from people about losing speed suddenly in a corner when one tire slides a bit, etc.. Any cons in your experience? You're a real asset to the list; thanks for your help.

Sean Reid
    Understood properly, there really is no down side to the Active-Trac system. In fact, I am delaying my next truck purchase in the hopes that the 2003 Tundra will have it. Yes, you can get into trouble from a standing start on loose gravel, particularly if you need to turn at the same time, but this is a matter of understanding the system.

Take my current Tundra as an example. With the V8 engine and little weight over the drive wheels, I frequently must modulate the gas pedal when pulling out of gravel driveways. I loose power because the tires have no traction. If I had the A-Trac system, the throttle would be reduced for me. Neither option is really ideal though, so I would just make sure I was in 4WD either all the time or at least when approaching slippery intersections.

With the Runner, you have less problems with this anyway. Only having a V6 and a fairly heavy back end, the wheels are far less likely to slip in the first place.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Sean, Cliffy helped me get my current 2001 SR5. I like the active trac system. I drive lots of curves and dirt and feel very secure on those rare moments when I hear that rattlesnake sound and see the icon for the system come on. I feel that my car is looking out for me. I also like the fact that I can switch into 4WD with the push of a button and to the best of my knowledge I have three different positons for the locking differential. My gas mileage has been great, 19-22MPG on an average. I thought about waiting for 2003, but I am so happy with the one I chose. It was cheap and looks and rides wonderfully. If you aren't going to wait for the new model, then at least get a 2001.

PS. Have you read Cliffy's, 'Toyota System's Explained'? It's at the top of the SUV menu. Good luck!!!
    I'm glad to hear that the new system works so well. It's too bad I don't fit in a 4runner with sunroof. Since I need a 99 - 2000 Limited to get AWD and since a Limited w/o sunroof may be unobtainable, I'm really looking at a 2001 or 2002. 2001s don't seem to hold much of a price advantage so it's 2002...or the new 2003 model (perhaps with more headroom!). I'm also going to look at Pathfinders for comparison but I'm in the home stretch now. Thanks for the input.

Sean
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    With a part time system you should be careful about driving it in the rain. Even with wet streets there is often enough traction to cause binding in the transfer case which will damage it. If it feels more difficult to steer the truck you should not be in 4WD.
    You are very correct about "normal" part-time systems. The current Runner is technically part time but can be used in 4WD on dry or wet pavement. Older Runners, Tacomas, Tundras and most other part time systems will bind if there is too much traction available.
  • newgradnewgrad Member Posts: 25
    Hi everybody! I was at the gas station on Sunday filling up my tank when the pump "burped" and spilt gasoline all down the side of my poor 4Runner. (I was NOT topping off either.) I immediately told the attendant who sprayed some neutralizer on the area. When I got home I hosed down the paint with water and washed it twice with car wash. The area still reeks of gasoline, but it has been polished several times before with Zaino. Is it protected? Did the gas permanently damage the paint? Thanks....
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Nah, you probably did not do anything to the paint. If you have a clear coat, then the clear coat should have stopped the gas. Gasoline can remove waxes, but if you cleaned it up promptly, it should not have gotten through all of the layers of wax.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Some of the gas may have dripped and run underneath the fender or body. Maybe that's what you're still smelling.
  • mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    I'm considering purchasing a 1996 4runner for my 16 year old daughter. I am leaning that way due to good reliability, good crash test results from the IIHS, and heavy weight.

However, I'm concerned about the higher than average rating for death rates. That's a measure of the likelihood of a driver being killed or seriously injured once a crash has occurred, and is derived from actual on the road data.

http://www.crashtest.com/toyota_truck/ie.htm

This is odd, given the high IIHS front offset crash results.

I'd appreciate any input on these results.

Duplicate posts usually result from refreshing the page - try going elsewhere in Town Hall first.

You can always go back and delete your posts at any time too with the Delete Button.

And please lose the signature on your messages - it's bad enough that us hosts are required to stick our tag line at the end of our messages. Your sig file looks like spam, and soliciting is a no-no here. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Moving seats around is risky business, especially if you ever sell it. If the person you sell it to has an accident and the seat attachment fails, you will be liable. I hate to say that because I know you want this thing. If you plan on keeping it long term, you may want to start by talking to a conversion van shop. Many of them will take on projects like this, but just beware of the liability issues.

The other thing I can suggest isn't so much of a fix but rather a way to get around it. I have had many tall customers looking at Runners. About the only way they can fit is to recline farther back. To ensure that your arms still reach, this will mean moving the seat forward a bit which means bent knees. See if you can take an extended test drive like this and see if you can be comfortable in this position.
    Steve_Host

As I mentioned in my reply to your off-list message, my signature is normally part of all my e-mail messages and postings and isn't intended as spam. In fact, I participate in several motorcycle lists as well as a Land Cruiser list and my sig has never even been mentioned. But I will make sure it isn't used here.

Back to the topic.

Steve/cliffy1, thanks very much for the reply. You're quite right about the liability issues. I do realize the risks of modifying a seat bracket and also your position (as a Toyota dealer employee) which would wisely point you towards discouraging such a modification.

Within the BMW motorcycle community, virtual and otherwise, modifications like this (and far more drastic) are done routinely. In my mind it's a matter of how well thought out and executed the modification is. We'd like to think that the manufacturer's designs for seat positioning with respect to steering wheels, airbags, etc. is precise and intentional. To be sure, Toyota is no doubt always looking for the design compromise that benefits the greatest number of potential drivers. Naturally, test dummies have to be standardized, etc. and as a result very tall or very short drivers can inavoidably be left with less than ideal designs.

I feel fairly sure that a competent machinist can create new rear brackets for the drivers seat which match or exceed the strength of the OEM versions. If I sell the truck, I'll make sure the OEM brackets are reinstalled. Or...maybe this can all be done with seat foam mods.

Since I really like this vehicle, my only other options are to buy a 2001/2002 SR5 and have a top-slider sunroof installed or wait for the 2003 model (which creates some logistical challenges). Given the choice between altered seat brackets/seat foam and an aftermarket sunroof I'd rather look at the less drastic option first. Thanks for the van-conversion shop tip; I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks also for the suggestion about the driving position change. I drive long distances often and can only recline so far while still staying alert and comfortable. I appreciate the idea though.

Any other tall or tall-trunked 4runner owners out there? This board seems mighty quiet right now.

Best,

just plain Sean, headed out soon for a ride in the evening sun
  • 4xblade_runner4xblade_runner Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get a "Fan bracket sub assembly" ???? Its a bracket that is located on top of the water pump and just spends the fan. The dealers are trying to sell the part at $575 with extra parts that I dont need. If anyone has an blown 6cyl engine name your price for the bracket. Read the title for the truck specs.