Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    Seanreid, I'm 6' tall and have a 01 SR5 w/o the sunroof. I have plenty of head room and have never even thought of it as an issue. I bought my Runner w/o the sunroof because it was the only one that had the color and options I wanted in my area. I must say, that I haven't missed the sunroof a bit. All of my other cars have had one. I guess it is just a matter of preference. Also, ask yourself how often you really use a sunroof, unless you smoke or have frequent problems with flatulence, probably not very often:) (or live in the south where it is warm more than 4 months out of the year)
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I'm 6'4" and I also have a 01 SR5 without a sunroof. To be honest I have never owned a sunroof because of my height. I wrote a year ago saying the headroom was great. Now after a year of living with it, it is still good, but not exactly great. I have about 2" of headroom which would be missing if I had a sunroof. At a stop light I tend to peak down to see the light if I am the first in line. Getting in and out at 6'4" is a special art only to be learned over time. Unlike Cliffy's suggestion, I don't have to adjust the seat recliner, I can sit up normal. So if your tall, either recline the seat, skip the sunroof or get another SUV, like maybe the 03 4Runner which is coming out in ????? :)
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Thanks brian124 and peter78. My trunk is tall enough that I have about 1.5" headroom in the 4runner w/o the sunroof. Initially I ruled out the 4runner because of this but as I researched and drove different vehicles, the 4runner kept looking better and better. Here's a list of what it offers that I don't think any other vehicle can match:

1. Bulletproof reliability long term
    2. 19 - 20 mpg on the highway using regular gas
    3. A center differential (certain models/years)
    4. Towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
    5. A reasonably powerful engine
    6. A body on frame design with a good ground clearance for driving off road (which I do)
    7. A power rear window which, in combination with a sunroof, creates a quasi-convertible
    8. A small enough body to be maneuverable in tight quarters
    9. Seating for 4/5

We've owned several Toyotas as well as a couple of GMC trucks, Subarus, etc. and the Toyotas have been the best built and most reliable. The natural competitor is the Nissan Pathfinder but the current generation has even less headroom than the 4runner (despite what the the headroom specs suggest). The older Pathfinders are underpowered. I fit in the Grand Cherokee (with sunroof) but its reliability track record isn't good. I do a lot of long distance driving on back roads so gas mileage really becomes an issue. So...crazy as it may sound...I think modifying a 4runner seat to fit me is my best route. I'm one of those people who open the sunroof all the time and I'd often be driving the runner with all windows down and the roof open. I almost bought a 1997 Land Cruiser but I don't think I can live with the gas mileage driving as much as I do. The 2003 4runner is very appealing but waiting until fall creates some logistical problems for the summer. I'll bet the new model has more headroom. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Sean
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    Two concerns:
    1) First, since there is now a preview of this SUV on the Edmund's review page, what happened to the Lexus GX-470 townhall topic group? It had some interesting links to more pics and info. Specifically it confirmed that this is a copy of Toyota's Land Cruiser Prado sold in Japan.

2) Someone please tell me there is still hope, that the new 4runner won't be based on this truck. IMHO, it's ugly, and poorly thought out (curb side opening tailgate, old school third row seats that don't hide when folded, etc...). I'm hanging my hat on the fact that in Japan, the current 4runner (called a "Hilux surfer" or something) and the GX-470 are sold side by side. Anyone know how long they have co-existed as stable mates? Maybe, just maybe, they're importing the Prado (as the GX-470) for the hi-end Lexus mark, and bringing an entirely new 4-runner to the rest of us. I hope so. Unless they signficantly alter the GX-470 for Toyota badging or bring in a completely different truck, I doubt I'll be able to give Toyota my money.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It was "lost" for a while, but it's back:

Lexus GX 470

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Wow, talk about quick service! Nice to have the link again, but I was incorrect. The posts I referring to are actually on this topic (posts #1406, #1407) from "hiluxsurf".

To hiluxsurf:
    Can you can answer my question about how long the LC Prado and HiluxSurf have been sold side by side in Japan? If it's been a while, then Toyota must see a need for two similarly sized SUV's in Japan and may see the same need here. I will admit that styling of the LC Prado is slightly more palatable than the GX-470, but it is far from inspiring and probably still not enough to pry 30K out of my wallet.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Cliffy,

Sorry to hear about your boating accident. I have been out of action for a while. Recently I was at the dealer getting the wifes Solara servied and my sales rep told me they are heading to a ride and drive for the 03 4RUNNER soon. They didn't have an exact date or location yet, but it was soon. They indicated fall and such.

Buzz, Cliffy has been posting here longer than me and then some. He has always provided accurate (based on information available at press time) to everyone, you as I can see have never substantiated anything you posted. I can do the same as you have. Someone high up said it will rain tomorrow. Guess that weather guy was wrong.
    To those who posted a ways back about the 4RUNNER seats hurting their backs due to poor lumbar adjustment. Well I am glad someone else has or had that problem besides me. I purchased a new '00 4Runner and about a month into it (wanted one for years) I found myself unable to drive it. The seat was too uncomfortable. I tried aftermarket seats, couldn't find one I liked. I almost (maybe should have) had the seat taken apart, the lumbar cushion removed, an inflatable lumbar put in that that would go flat when desired. But I had put $1k into the car for upgraded shocks, interior trim etc and did't need to spend more to get the same.

My only option at the time. Sell it and buy back my old SUV. While it cost me money, time and pain it was the only option at the time. Knowing what I know now, and based on current lumbar set ups I will buy what I want, have the lumbar remmoved and a more adjustable one installed. I will not lose my long sought after dream.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    I'm with you on the GX-470 being an ugly critter, and I sure hope the new 4Runner isn't going in that direction. I've been holding on to my 1995 4Runner (bought new) w/currently 248,000 mi. This vehicle hasn't really "given" me a reason to get a new one as its been a flawless SUV since the day I got it. But that said, miles are miles, and it's getting time for a new one. I've checked out the 2002's and they are really nice, but I miss the tailgate and would like a little more power under the hood. I may have to compromise, or move up to my dream SUV..the Land Cruiser if I can find more justification in spending the 50K+ on transportation.
    I hope they make the 4RUNNER more evolutionary, bigger, more updated, but not what the GX470 is going to be. The side opening rear door is too Mitsubishi for me.

On the flip side I have been hoping for a nice TLC, maybe a 2000 or 2001 in the next 12-18 months. There are some good deals on pre-owned and just get a CPO and not a classified ad one.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Not wanting to start up another round of discussions about what it does or doesn't look like, but the video of the 2003 that I saw (I work at Toyota) looked nothing like the GX470, although they will share things like a V-8 engine and downhill braking assist transmission.

The '03 model I saw was definitely a 4Runner. It wouldn't be mistaken for anything else. The front resembled the Sequoia, especially around the hood and headlights, but the grill was all Runner.

Sides looked the same, but the rear was smooth, kind of like a blazer. It didn't appear to open from the side like the GX470. Not sure if it is a split door (roll down window) or solid (like a Sienna). Tail lights were higher and thinner than the '02.

Interior was completely changed; much sportier and more luxurious. There was a 3-circle instrument cluster like the Matrix has. I was told that the Runner will be wider, but I don't have any dimensions, options or cost information.

Delivery dates are August for the dealerships and September for the general public.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Any shots of the 3rd row seats? Tell me they don't fold up to the side like the shots of the GX470 I saw. I hope they fold into the floor like the Explorer.
    "rward99" says the new Runner will have "a 3-circle instrument cluster like the Matrix has". Here is a picture of the Matrix instruments, to give you a idea of what he/she is talking about.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaMatrix/Images/Cluster.jpg

My eyes light up everytime I spot one of those new Cruisers on the highway. As for the new 4Runner, I guess I'll just keep my ears to track on anything that leaks out of Toyota HQ. I'm also a bit leary of buying ANY first year production model, but that's just my opinion.

As far as third row seats go on a mid-sized SUV, I'd probably take them out. The only thing that will fit back there are dwarves, munchkins, or small dogs. The seats eat up too much cargo space for my needs, even when folded up.

Thanks for the tip on buying a used Cruiser. this may be the option I need. A guy at my local dealership recently told me about the Owner's wife returning her Cruiser in the next few months. I wonder if the vehicle was even titled...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Does it still have live axle out back, or IRS?

Bob
    I know what you mean about TLC. I know of a doctor who TLC is off lease in January, very detailed and clean enough to each off of it. But I just don't know if the bank of me will fund that purchase. Building a new house this summer and planning to move in Sept/Oct. time frame. SO it will depend on the deal.

The only thing I have going is my dealer owes me big time. I lost a bit when I had to get out of my 4RUNNER do to back problems and the bad (for me) seat design. They sold it in one day when I traded it back, and they KNOW they OWE me big time.

So in six months it will either be a TLC (or Highlander) or in 12 months a TLC or 4RUNNER (or highlander).

I agree about first year runs. Even with Toyota I am leary about it. More because they tweak a few extras the second year. Look at the highlander, the console is much nicer now.
    I checked out the Highlander awhile back, and although a great vehicle in its class, it doesn't quite fit all the requirements I need. I now require towing capacity for a boat and a utility trailer from time to time. My experiences with the V-6 proved that my next vehicle purchase needs the larger V-8 to accomplish these things adequately. Continued towing also requires a truck-like frame. When I heard the new 2003 4Runner was moving up to a V-8, I said to myself "FINALLY, MORE HORSEPOWER!!". The V-6 is an extremely reliable and economical engine, but the lack of adequate horsepower limited the options on towing, etc. Now, the 4Runner will have a total package, and will probably sell around the mid-30K range. BUT, if this new rig takes on a bad case of the uglies, then I'm back to dreaming about Cruisers...which is where I may end up anyway.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I read somewhere (can't remember though) that the '03 will be 3'' wider & 2'' longer in size.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    The relationship between the Lexus GX470 and the new '03 4Runner is supposed to be similar to that of the RX300 and the Highlander: different bodies but sharing the same drive train, engine, etc. I've looked on the Internet for info on the GX470 and found these sites. This first one says "solid axle" in the specs:
    http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2003/v2kmdl3040spec.html
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020107na-9.htm
    This one says "Independent front suspension, rear air suspension with self-leveling and standard Adaptive Variable Suspension damping.."

If you compare the wheelbase of the '02 Runner with the GX470, there is a 4.5" (longer) difference; almost 5" longer in the body.

It's been a while since I saw the video, but I don't think that it had a 3rd seat in it, although it's supposed to be an option. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on that one. It's one of my interests too. That and the V-8 are my reasons for waiting for the '03.

Again, I don't have any detail information on the new model of 4Runner. I wish I could, but it was hard enough to get what I got. I don't work directly with production and it's hard for me to get details. They are very tight lipped about pre-production vehicles, and since it's made in Japan it's even harder.

I certainly hope the price of the 4Runner is better than that of the GX470.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I saw, in person, the GX470 earlier this month at the NY Auto Show. It's impressive, but extremely pricey.

I also assumed the new 4Runnner would be based on this vehicle (or is it vice-versa?). And... I assumed that an IRS would be a long shot, at best. But you never know...

Bob
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    Late Thursday night, I was shopping at 24hr grocery store and I happened to go down the magazine aisle, which is something I rarely do. I picked up a magazine by the name of "Trucking" and while glancing through it, I came across a picture of the 2003 4Runner. It was a spy shot that was taken. The truck had black coverings over it to conceal it's identity but you could see what the whole truck looked like. It looked like a cross between a Sequoia, the current Runner and the Highlander all in one. It had a Sequoia grill with the shape of the highlander as well and the body looked much bigger and wider than the current runner. The article talked about the Sequoias V8 engine that would most likely be in the new truck as well as the infamous third row seating speculation. Check out the magazine and see what you think. I'm in the market for a 4Runner and hope to have one by the fall. Would anyone happen to know the difference between the 2000, 2001 and 2002 4Runner Limiteds because I like these years of the truck the best. The rims on the 2001 and 2002 Limiteds are different from the rims on the 2000 Limiteds. The 2000's have the sharp 5 star designed rims and that's what I like. The 2001 and 02 Limiteds have a more rounded 5 star design. Exterior wise, they look very similar but there are some differences in the grille and rear I believe but I just can't pinpoint them. Can anyone help?
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    I've got a 2000 Limited. In addition to having different wheel designs, the front grill of the 1999, 2000 models have a single bar; the 2001 and 2002 have a double bar on the front grill. Other than that (and different paint color options) there aren't any other cosmetic differences between the two that I'm aware of.

As for mechanical differences, the 2001 model 4runners were the first to get the TRACs system. Previous to that, the 99 and 2000 Limiteds got a "multimode" system that allowed you to select 2-wheel high; 4-wheel high (with the center diff open so that you can drive on dry pavement at any speed); 4-wheel high with center diff locked (i.e. part-time 4-wheel drive) and 4-wheel low with center diff locked. Prior to 99, the Limited simply had a part-time system.

A locking rear diff was also available on the 99 and 2000 Limiteds, which was not offered once TRACS became standard on all 2001 4runners.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    There will be no 3rd row seat for 2003
    What's your source about no third row seating? You sound pretty certain of that. Do you have anymore info? Would like to hear any and all, thanks.
  • wally27wally27 Member Posts: 6
    First I want to thank all of you who post on Edmunds. This forum helped me get my '99 Grand Cherokee turned in under lemon law because of all the postings from people with the same ten issues I kept having. This forum also help me decide on a 4Runner because of the lack of customer compliants in the forum! However I must add the Grand Cherokee with V8 and QuadraDrive was a much better off road and on road vehicle than the 4Runner, sorry to say. The dealer liked all the money the service dept made off the auto as well!

My point with this post is to find out if anyone is interested in a few 4Runner circuit mods. I have the $250 shop manuals and can, disable the daytime running lights (with a better method than disconnecting pin 2...), shut off the key reminder chime, and turn the power outlets on the dash to full time (not switched) so your cell phone charges full time.

If there are any interested parties I'll post how I did those functions.

Jack.
    First thing out of my mouth...you'll be sorryeeee...To compare ANY Jeep product to a Toyota is big mistake...but hey, it's your money. Have fun...
    I stopped into Barnes & Nobles today and found the Trucking Magazine mentioned a few posts back. They do in fact have a spy photo of the '03 4RUNNER. I have to agree it looks allot like Toyota dropped a Highlander and a Sequoia into a blender and poured it into a mold.

It looks pretty good from what you see, but the not so good part is their comment that it may become a bare bones back to basics since the Highlander is there for the "leather seat crowd". If the 4RUNNER does become bigger, it should be sacrificed, I would buy it for the additional size.

Then again a CPO TLC is in my cards too.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    md2002: excuse my ignorance, but what does CPO signify?
    Cheers
    Pat
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Certified Pre-Owned.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Can somebody take a digital photo of the '03 4Runner in that Trucking magazine and post it? Thanks!!! Loved the Highlander/Sequoia smoothie comment!!!!
    but, there will not be a 3rd row seat.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Not doubting you but based on what?

A salesman I talked to at the Minneapolis auto show said it would be a late availability item, depending on demand.

Your info seems to jive with his, but you are the only two people I have heard say that.
    Did you all know that the '96 was supposed to come with one? It was a rear facing type. In fact, if you own a '96, take a look at your owners manual and you'll see instructions on how to install it. It never ended up making it to these shores, but they had planned on it.
    Simply, I trust the person that told me- it isn't based off of anything I have seen or been privy to in any back room "X" files meeting.
    I was looking at some old car magazines and I saw a write up on 96 SUV's. The 4Runner had 3rd row seats. Even had a picture of it. I was curious about why it was in a magazine, but not here in the States. It must of been slated for the States but never made it. Thanks for the info, Cliffy.
    Well, it looks like I have a solution to fitting my tall trunk into a 4Runner with sunroof. A shop in MA that specializes in custom upholstery for one-off cars and the like can reduce the thickness of the lower seat cushion and replace part of the foam with a gel pad which should keep the seat very comfortable. This might be a useful thing for tall 4Runner owners to know about.

I'd like some opinions on the following, for whoever has time to reply. I've previously owned both AWD (Subaru Legacy, Toyota Previa, Toyota RAV4) and 4WD (Subaru GL, GMC Suburban, GMC Jimmy) vehicles. For rain and snow and ice I've always preferred the AWD because I don't need to worry about whether or not the road is providing enough slip to prevent binding in the transfer case. So, my 4Runner search has been focused on 99-00 Limiteds and the 2001+ models (so that I can have a center differential). Meanwhile there are lots of nice used 4Runners around w/o the center diff.

So my question is: how many of you have been using the truck in 4WD in rain, mixed road conditions, etc. for tens of thousands of miles with no problem? I know what the official recommendations are but I'm curious about what people's experiences have been. It's my sense that grippy pavement, even when wet, really isn't allowing enough slip to protect the drivetrain.
    What's your take?

Thanks,

Sean Reid
    Rockingham, VT
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    For the 99-00 Limiteds, you can just leave it in the multimode 4wd mode and forget it. In that mode, you don't have to worry about whether the pavement is too dry.

I've got a 2000 Limited with 30,000 miles and no problems. I drive mostly in Massachusetts and Southern VT (North Pownal). I just leave it in the multimode 4wd, rain or shine, wet or dry. The multimode 4wd does not lock the center differential, so that you don't have to worry about axle binding on dry pavement. In fact, I've done this towing a trailer through a snowstorm from Wisconsin to Boston, MA, and towing a trailer from Boston to Bennington, VT.

If, however, snow gets deep or the going gets rough, you can still lock the center diff (either in High or Low, which turns the system into a partime system, in which case you DO have to worry about not driving too much on dry pavement).

The 2001+ 4Runners are even better in this regard. Its much more of a set-it and forget it type system. The TRACS system gives the 2001+ 4Runners more flexibility in that the traction control system keeps wheels from spinning and losing despite the fact that all the differentials are open.

In the case of the 99-00 Runners, if one of the wheels does completely lose traction, then you need to lock the center diff to prevent slippage. However this has never happened to me driving on roads at regular speeds (including some nasty stuff the past couple of winters). However, it has happened once when slowly crawling up an icy steep driveway in VT during the big winter of 2000. However, in that case, I simply shifted and locked the center diff, no problem.
    Thanks for the reply jynewf. The advantages you describe are why I have been primarily looking at 99-00 Limiteds and 2001+ models. I am curious, however, to hear from owners of the older system (no center diff.) who've perhaps been using the 4WD mode for tens of thousands of miles in rain and other fairly grippy pavement conditions. For example, the manual in a 1999 SR5 states that 4WD drive can be used in the rain but that doesn't seem like enough of a slip condition to me. The reason I'm looking into this is that there several part-time 4WD drive Runners for sale around here that are appealing apart from lacking the center diff.

The two conditions I'm wondering about, primarily, are rain and mixed condition winter roads. It would be good to hear from people who've been using the old style runner system in these conditions. Thanks.

Sean
  • pondmanpondman Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone out there post a digital photo of the 2003' 4Runner, out of the current Trucking magazine ??? I believe 'akg' mentioned that earlier. I myself would love to see the pic as well !

Thanks,
    pondman
    Here are the pictures from the current Trucking magazine. Your guess is as good as mine about it being the real thing. Anyway here are the pictures you asked for.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/34361696/35728062aDWJdE

http://community.webshots.com/photo/34361696/35728170fbfhLL

I own a Tundra which is a part time system and I don't engage the 4WD unless there is slush on the roads. Beyond the issue of slipping, conventional part time systems but a real drag on the whole drive line. It is sluggish. It is very important to have good quality tires with lots of tread in wet conditions. This is more true of the Tundra (or older SR5) than other vehicles because you are dealing with a rear wheel drive.

My lease expires in November and I am really hoping the 2003 Tundra will have the Active Trac. I could have done an early termination this month and taken advantage of some great lease deals but didn't because I'm holding out for the '03. Even the new optional LSD in the Tundra is no substitute for the A-Trac.
  • pondmanpondman Member Posts: 3
    Hey peter78,

Thanks for providing the pics !

pondman
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    Cliffy: would you happen to know of any company that makes a 3rd row seat for the 4runner? Have you seen it done? BTW - I asked you a while back about installing an entertainment system with the flip down TV in the 4runner. I had it done and it came out fabulous - although it cost me. The kids have never been so quiet, so I think it was worth it. Thanx for the advice.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    they claim.

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newsearch2.asp?reflink=96741-0-0-0-0&sourceid=2&parttypeid=2096&itemid=8017&autoidsearch=YES

I had a friend that bought one for her Explorer. I will caution you that she found out after she got it that the mounting brackets are sold separately.

I haven't looked into it but it looks like others have.
    Cliffy1, was the locking diff available on both the SR5 and Limited 4Runners from 1996-2000? I realize that it's unecessary from 2001 forward.

Thanks,

Sean
  • fvkllrfvkllr Member Posts: 26
    Hi all. I have 2002 4runner and have a question. Maybe I'm being too protective (a nicer way of saying something that shouldn't be said in a public forum), but the one thing lacking is side door protection. I have the running boards which will prevent dings from passenger cars, but there is no molding of any sort to protect the door form trucks and other suvs. Any thoughts and advice on this issue? Thanks in advance.
    Cliffy1, was the locking diff available on both the SR5 and Limited 4Runners from 1996-2000? I realize that it's unecessary from 2001 forward.

Thanks,

Sean
    Actually, the locking diff is still there. There is a button to the left of the steering wheel for it. When engaged, it is a conventional part time system. The older Limited also had a locked mode.