Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cars with Heads Up Display

icechipsicechips Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Pontiac
I have a 2001 Grand Prix with Heads up Display. Sooner or later this car is going to conk out me, so I'm starting to gather info.

The one feature I dearly love is my heads up display. I will not own another car without one, because I think it's a wonderful safety feature. (No you don't notice it after the first day driving it).

Anyways, what I'm looking for is what cars out there today (2008-2009) models have the heads up feature? I thought maybe a G8 or CTS would have but didn't see it in the specs.

Comments

• repperrepper Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Grand Prix with a HUD and love it as well. Mine broke awhile back and I felt lost driving the car. Luckily it was just the cheap plastic mount and I found the time to remove the unit and repair it.

So far I've seen that the Cadillac STS with all the options will give you a HUD, if you can find an 08 Grand Prix GXP still in stock or a GMC Acadia has the option. G8 does not, wasn't part of the Aussie car it's based on. There is also a Corvette with the option.
  • icechipsicechips Member Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if the new CTS coupe will have it. That would just be lovely... otherwise I have to save up for a BMW (or some other fancy car). I'd rather stay with my GM, I've had such good luck with the car I have.
    :D
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Thats a great idea for a thread. I was a software and systems engineer on the HUD in the C-130J (tactical displays plus the usual aircraft HUD stuff). We always touted their safety in aircraft because of obvious reasons: You don't have to take your eyes off the sky (or road!) to check instruments!

After my experience designing the algorithms for and implementing the software for HUDs on aircraft, I wanted one in a car. I had other priorities when choosing a car in 2001, and got a BMW 525iAT instead. Still, I envied the cars with HUDs. I'm going to say it was only GM that put HUDs on some models.
    Go to http://www.google.com
    In the text box, type in:
    head up display
    The wikipedia article that shows up is probably helpful, among others there.

There are some dash mounted aftermarket HUD projection devices available.
  • ghloeb1ghloeb1 Member Posts: 2
    My BMW 6 series has HUD. One of the few high-end options I'll gladly pay for again when I get the next car. But I thought several mfrs were putting out HUD vehicles -- so far I am seeing only references to GM (and a discontinued GM brand at that).
  • byrdbarbyrdbar Member Posts: 1
    The new 2010 Buick Lacrosse has the HUD option available on the CXL and CXS models. It's similar to the 2004-2008 Grand Prix HUD, but with an ice-blue color tone and additional display options.
    Yep, I'd say if you're looking for a HUD, then Cadillac, Buick (GM) has them, and the BMW option I didn't know about.
This discussion has been closed.