Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    I was at a meeting yesterday on the new 4Runner.

Three trim levels: SR5, Sport, Limited

V6 - 245 hp & 283 ft/lbs torque

V8 - 232 hp & 320 ft/lbs torque

All will have 5 speed transmission

V6 will be multi-mode 4WD, V8 permanent system (similar to Land Cruiser)

First 3 months of production will be only V8.

National launch date: October 15th
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Steve:

Is Cliffy correct on the lack of a third row seat?

Is the multi-mode 4WD the current system in the 4Runner? I am not familiar with that specific term.

National launch date. Is that when dealers can expect them on their lots, or what is the significance of that date?

Thanks for any additional information.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The term "multi-mode 4WD" means selectable Active-Trac. It is the same thing we have now.

As for launch dates, the "National Launch" is the beginning of the advertising programs. We normally get the cars a month prior to the official launch.
    Cliffy beat me to the multi-mode question.

Correct, there will be no 3rd seat.

New Colors:
    Titanium Metallic
    Galactic Gray
    Impulse Red Pearl
    Pacific Blue Mica
    Stratsophere Mica
    Blizzard White Pearl
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    What kind of color is "Stratsophere"? Maybe light blue?

-------------------------
    One comment on the engines, both the V6 and V8 sound really nice. I wouldn't mind having either one.
    -------------------------
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    We currently ahve this color on the Sienna. It is a dark blue.
    Stratosphere Mica (8Q0) is a dark blue, currently on the Camry and Sienna. I think it will look sharp on the 4Runner. I'd imagine that the Pacific Blue will be a lighter blue.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    How bizarre that the V6 would have more HP than the V8. The torque figures on both are nice though.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Posts: 103
    Hey Steve - Was the price range mentioned in the meeting?
  • seanreidseanreid Posts: 152
    Thanks for the info. on the 2003 models. Do you know if the power rear window will remain and whether or not the new model has more headroom than the 2002? Much appreciated.

Sean
  • vicarouzavicarouza Posts: 18
    Hello Steve, I had heard the same thing on the horsepower of the V6 being more than the V8, however I was also told that if I wanted the Limited with all the "GOODIES" - whatever they might be - HIDs??, Heated Seats??, DVD-Navigation system??, JBL-Sound system??, etc. etc. - you get my drift, that I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH THE V8 as the Top-of-the-line Limited will be only so equipped. Can you confirm if this is true???....and I'm really excited that all of them will come with a 5-speed transmission - Yipee - (was keeping my fingers crossed on this one)- better highway fuel economy, quieter cruising and better spacing of ratios providing brisker acceleration!!!.....what I would really like to get is a Limited with all the goodies, but with the V6 for better highway passing power. IMHO, the 283lb ft of torque is plenty for me, considering the 4-runner's size/weight (I don't really tow that much)
    Thanks for the input!
    Vic
    I had really hoped that the 4Runner would have a third row. I consider that a must on my next vehicle. Too bad for Toyota. They screwed up and may have forced my into the Sequoia instead :).

I find the 5 speed intriguing. Anyone care to speculate on whether that will make it's way into the Sequoia since it also has the V8? Any inside info or rumors?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Why is that too bad for Toyota? It sounds like that's a good thing for them as far as you are concerned since it will push you to the Sequoia. It is a higher priced vehicle. I considered the Sequoia when I bought my QX4 but just could not afford the price. The 4Runner was #2 on my list but lost out because of it being underpowered.
    Sarcasm.

In theory I would prefer a 4Runner with a third row, even though I have not seen one yet. I really like the new Explorer but I've taken a financial bath on one already, not looking to do it again. The Sequoia is bigger than we need, but it seems like the best option at this point. I just need to save some more money because I don't believe in the 5+ year, $500+ payment.
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Posts: 65
    Man the wait has been killing me, I like what I'm reading so far, though I agree the lack of an optional third row is unfortunate. A few more questions......

Anyone know about the new engine source? Is it a modified (insert toyota product here) engine or is it totally new? Any mileage estimates for either the V6 or V8?

Any word on upgraded safety features? I was hoping to see side impact airbags and/or a headliner curtain airbag.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.
    Okay, I'll try to answer what I can. (Remember most info is still preliminary and may change)

Pricing - Very early, most likely will go up. But not too much as to crowd the Sequoia. We had a sheet with some info, but couldn't keep it.

Power Rear Window - unknown, hopefully won't go away.

Headroom - nothing specific, I'm sure it will be more. Check GX470 specs.

Limited V8 only - Yes

HID - was discussed, I think yes

Heated Seats - Std on Limited

JBL - all three upgrade stereos are JBL branded with 10 speakers. JBL engineers are involved in development of vehicle and speaker placement. All include rear seat audio with remote wireless headphone capability.

NAV - Included in top of line audio system, that system also has a back up camera.

Side Air Bags - Available on all models.

Hope that helps
  • vicarouzavicarouza Posts: 18
    I'm a little dissapointed that I can't get a Limited V6, but since you say that the DVD NAV (WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OPTION FOR ME) is included with all Top-of-the-Line Audio systems, maybe I can order a V6 SR5 or Sport?? with LEATHER, HEATED SEATS, JBL/NAV and SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS...... and HIDs would be nice (but if that's only a Limited model option, I can live without it).......but then again, I might just go ahead and opt for the Limited V8 (depending on what all other "goodies" it offers)....either way I'm REALLY EXCITED and can't wait for it to hit the showroom floor.

.......and as far as that 3rd row option goes, I COULD CARE LESS!!!!!!....I'm Toyota's typical 4Runner demograpic - currently own a 2001 SR5 4WD - (in other words: I'm single, can afford the 4Runner, DO NOT WANT ANOTHER SOCCER-MOM WAGON THAT IS 77 INCHES WIDE - Acura MDX??? - I dread to think that I almost bought that WIDE-BODY TRAILER because of the excellent DVD Nav system - Even though I do understand that the new 4Runner will be SLIGHTLY bigger externally, I'm really happy that Toyota has not OVERSIZED this vehicle to please the BIGGER-IS-BETTER crowd who already have a dozen choices......after all the 4Runner's relatively tidy dimensions are what make it such a "FUN" vehicle to drive, manuver, park and have a ball on THE TRAILS
    Where the heck have ya been? Would you care to share any additional brilliant insights?

I can hardly wait........
  • spfoteyspfotey Posts: 131
    Buzz,

as i recall, you were convinced (tho not very convincing) that the 4Runner would arrive by March --or was it april, could've been February. Oh well, i think we all knew you were making it up... what new humor?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    that it just happens to coincide with when the new model year comes out that the 4Runner is coming. Don't you just hate it when someone can't admit they were wrong?
    Buzz as I can re-call you said March for the 4Runner and it would not be based on the Lexus GX470, it would have it's on design and it will have a 3rd row seat. Looks like you totally got it wrong to me. Or am I missing something?
    Trouble with computers is that they leave records. Here is a copy of what "buzzlight" said about March, Lexus, 3rd seat and 4Runners.

-----------------------------
    "#1134 of 1614 Re: The New 4 Runner by buzzlight Jan 31, 2002 (05:28 pm)
    As I predicted, the next generation 4 Runner will not be based on the Lexus. The 2003 4 Runner WILL be release in March, as I have previously posted."
    ---------------------------

"#1245 of 1614 2003 4 Runner by buzzlight Feb 21, 2002 (06:53 pm)
    My sources confirm the late March delivery of the 2003 4 Runner. They have given me the impression that it will look significantly different. Third row seating is a definite option as is a V8"

-------------------------------

So what am I so wrong about? Hey, look at the bright side, at least you predicted a V8.
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Posts: 24
    (which apparently is 'Buzz is the anti-Christ'), but I have a question about the 4Runner: My 98 Limited is in great condition EXCEPT for a trashed console - specifically the black pieces which run between the front seats on up into the dash. Questions: Can these be replaced by me (decent skills with hand tools)? Any clue on parts cost and install costs from/by the dealer? Where can I order parts online? Many thanks -love the forum - and the truck.
    To Cliffy and Steve:
    Mucho thanks for all the info. As a non-car industry guy the inside info you provide has been timely, accurate (unlike some folks), and much appreciated. You make this forum worth checking out regularly.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Posts: 75
    That's a ditto from me too. You guys are a great asset to this msg. board. Cliffy, I'm still in my 1995 4-Runner w/over 250,000 mi. Only one unscheduled maintenance was last year...a drive shaft...fixed in an hour for about $480.

My last 4-Runner (1986 SR5-Turbo w/all the bells & whistles available) lasted for over 300,000 mi. and was a trade in for the 1995. You can tell I drive the hell out of these vehicles, but am a stickler for oil changes & maintanence schedules.

Cliffy, my dilemma is this new 2003 4-Runner w/V-8, etc. VS. the legendary Land Cruiser w/V-8, etc.

I thought I had this all figured out until the 4-Runner decided to go to the V-8. Now I'm at a crossroads because I need an SUV that will be able to tow a boat or my utility trailer thru all sorts of terrain from the flats of Florida to the Mountains in the Shennandoah.

I love the looks and feel of the Land Cruiser, but get a bad case of sticker shock every time I test drive one. The Sequoia is no option for me because I just plain don't like its looks, feel, and drive. Do you think the new 4-Runner w/V-8 will be able to handle all of my required towing? I wonder if this is what Toyota had in mind when they decided to go for a bigger engine in the 4-Runner?

Cliffy & Steve, please chime in and give me your opinions. I know the final choice will eventually be mine, but your imput would be greatly appreciated and informative. Thanks
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    JamesBass1, Is it not true that the 03 4 runner is the GX 470 with all the goodies? If so , then the data from that car should answer you question about size, power and appearance.
    Check out posts 1583 and 1591 on this board. There's been some new info added recently about the '03 4Runner.
  • yosshimurayosshimura Posts: 1
    I am in the market for an early 90's 4Runner, and am thinking of not concerning myself with a unit that is near or just above 100K miles, as long as it has the proper maintainance records (ie: timing belt changed, etc). Yesterday, I saw a 91 with 154K miles and it looked like new! The seats were not worn out like you see lower mileage American trucks all the time. The leather was barely stretched.

So, I figure if I buy a unit with 100K and it can look like this one at 154K, then I have a few years of driving pleasure and reliability(right?) for a relatively low cost.

What kind of mileage due these 4runners usually reach before dieing?

thanks
  • xpara504xpara504 Posts: 4
    The May 13, issue of AutoWeek has a brief article about the 2003 4Runner. It reads: "When the next Toyota 4Runner arrives this fall, it'll come with a V8 engine for the first time and a revised all-wheel-drive system that channels power diagonally to help provide maximum traction. Look for the 240-hp 4.7-liter V8 from the Tundra and Sequoia as the top engine option fo the 2003 4Runner."
    The story of "jamesbass1" getting 250,000 and 300,000 miles on a 4Runner should be music to your ears. I plan on keeping my 4Runner for a long time. "yosshimura" asked how long do 4Runners last. Here is a link to a discussion about this, it had over 54 responses. I found it very interesting.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=007384

(PS- For "jamesbass" the Lexus GX470 can tow 6,500 pounds according to Edmunds and I would guess the new 4Runner with a V8 will be the same.)