Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan

12346»

Comments

• Options
    kavzkavz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
  • Options
    mister880mister880 Member Posts: 13
    Good point, but my '09 is a late production vehicle which had the trans update done at the factory.
  • Options
    Is anyone having a problem re-activating their new Infiniti's XM service after the 3 mo promo ends? I've been trying for about a month now and still no service. XM "claims" the problem is with Nissan (or their dealers) because when the car is delivered to the dlr, the radio's ID# is registered to Nissan. When the car is sold, the ID# (for some reason) doesn't get switched to the new owner, something that XM says they can't do because of how Nissans system is set up. So far, Nissan cust. serv., Infiniti cust. serv., my dlr, and XM, can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas?
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I don't know why Sirius/XM wold care who the Radio's ID # is registered to. So long as they get a credit card number to use to bill to, why should they care?

FWIW, I am not planning on continuing my sat radio subscription when it expires.
  • Options
    01redz0601redz06 Member Posts: 21
    I share your experience with the sports seats, and there are similar comments on some of the G35/37 forums. My G35 is first generation with normal seats, but I have been shopping for a 2009 G37 6MT sedan. I should start out by saying that I am 6'-4 1/2 inches, 260 lbs. I work out and my butt is not large. I have recently test driven a 2008 G35 6MT sedan, a 2009 G35 Journey with sport package (incl sports seats), and finally a 2009 G35 6MT sedan.

The first two cars were fine in the seat back area but literally pinched my butt to the point of discomfort within a mile or two of driving. The last car seemed tolerable after a four mile drive. I do not understand why it was different from the other two.

I have seen other posts which claim that the sport seats are designed to fit a 5'-4" gentleman from the car's origin country (actually the other posters words were more direct than mine). I can believe it from the way I was pinched.

For the life of me, I do not understand why Infiniti can put the steering wheel and pedals on the left side, but cannot design the seat to fit American physiques.

I have seen reports of frustrated Infiniti G drivers removing the seat from the car and modifying the springs underneath. I would like to see some pictures, so I can understand the magnitude of the effort. Seems unreasonable for the customer to have to do this on a new car.
  • Options
    I would think a guy your size wouldn't find the sport seats too comfortable. My '07 G35 sedan didn't have the S pkg. and it was fine. My new '09 sedan has the S pkg and the sport seats are a bit tight, (i'm 6' and 215) but for me, not really a problem. Drive faster and you won't notice the seats! :)
  • Options
    That's like saying, "why should the DMV care whos name is on the reg/title so long as the plates are paid for". To leave the XM-radio under Nissan's name would make Nissan legally responsible for paying for the service after the promo is done, which is one of the reasons they shut it off. The other being they want to sign-up a paying customer/subscriber. Problem is, whenever you call XM, your call is switched to different countries all over the world, which is why their system is totally FUBAR!
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Is your problem that you can't resolve the billing / account for the radio or that you just can't seem to get an XM signal on your radio?

If the latter, I had a similar issue; to activate the radio with your new (personal) account, you need to park it somewhere OUTSIDE where it has a clear, unobstructed view of the southern skies, and leave it on channel 1 (PREVIEW) for at least 15-20 minutes. And, you must do this WITHIN THE HOUR of your calling XM customer service and asking them to send a "signal refresh" for your radio (and make sure you give them the right radio code).

This is key, since (1) in many cities, XM has ground-based repeaters which boost signal strength but DO NOT send the signal to authenticate your unit; you need the "real" satellite signal. (2) Leaving it on channel 0 (which I had accidentally done) does not work--it needs to be channel 1. (3) The refresh signal customer service sends only lasts for about an hour after you call.

After waiting the 15-20 (very long, boring) minutes, you should be able to scroll through the full channel lineup.

Good luck.
  • Options
    mazzmanmazzman Member Posts: 8
    Yesterday I installed snow tires (Blizzak LM-60s) on my G37 S, and
    pulled out the OEM jack to see just how it engages the car's jacking points (and this winter I'm gonna cobble up an adaptor for my floor jack.) Anyway, In the trunk, along with the jack, jack handle(s), and wheel lock key/socket, there was another "tool." It's a heavy-duty-looking steel shaft, about 6-8 inches long, threaded on one end, with a
    sturdy "loop" on the other end. It looks like it *might* be used to
    lift or pull something....if I had a crane, come-along, or chain fall handy, to do the actual lifting or pulling!! :-)

Does anyone know what this thing is?? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

---Mazz
  • Options
    gbt6146gbt6146 Member Posts: 6
    It is the vehicle recovery hook for freeing a stuck vehicle.
    See owner manual 6-15.
  • Options
    "It is the vehicle recovery hook for freeing a stuck vehicle.
    See owner manual 6-15." [GBT6146]

GBT6146;

Thanks for the response and the info regarding the G 37's "recovery device." I also see, (on manual page 6-14), that you probably can *not* use the recovery device to tow the car from the rear.... I wonder what you're supposed to do if a wrecker can't get to the front of a stuck G 37. (I bet most/all wrecker operators will use the tie-down hooks) .....or, why didn't Infiniti put a second "vehicle-recovery socket" somewhere at the [non-permissible content removed]-end of the car??

---Mazz
  • Options
    It was an account problem which XM blamed on Nissan's system of not transfering the ID# when the cars are sold. And i sat in my car for a total of 3 hrs (on 2 occasions) waiting for a signal on Ch. 1. Yesterday, i called XM again. (8th time in 3 weeks) I told the woman the problem and her response was, "gee, why is it taking so long to get your service back?" If i could've shot her through the phone i would have! She repeated all my info, then told me to go to my car and wait 20 minutes for the signal. (i had been told this by 3 other XM people) After sitting in the car for 10 minutes, on came the music! Don't ask me how or why, because i have no clue. But, i do have my music back. Thanks for your responses friends...
  • Options
    blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
    well i just came back from trying my new G37x on a big empty parking lot with 3 fresh inches of snow on it.

with the "snow" mode on, i proceeded to accelerate, brake, do donuts, figure 8s and everything in between.

it was a blast. the angle of lean as i did hard turns and donuts was minimal.

i noticed the "slip" light come on as i did hard, fast donuts and the wheels slipping underneath me. that's apparently normal for those conditions.

the car seemed stable and capable of handling a few inches of snow under it in AWD mode. the braking at 25 MPH on a snowy surface was good.

my G has the Goodyear RSAs on it, and they seemed to handle the snow just fine.
  • Options
    blitzebillblitzebill Member Posts: 25
    do you mind giving out what you paid for an XM contract for a year?

i have heard a wide variety of pricing and negotiating issues.

i've heard people getting as low as $75 and up to paying $185.
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Just got my renewal notice for XM, after the 3 month trial period expires. It's $164/yr for XM, $212/yr with NavTraffic.
  • Options
    savetheicesavetheice Member Posts: 10
    In the past (i.e. about 6 mo ago), to get a lower XM price I called a week before my sub ended. I told them I wanted to cancel. They asked why. I said I just don't use it too much since I have an MP3 player. They transfered me to customer retention. I told them the same thing. The came down to $120/yr and I said no then they came to $85/yr and I said ok. This had the effect of killing my online access and I had to pay it all at once.

Now that they are one with Sirius, I don't know what they will do.
  • Options
    redeemerredeemer Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a new G37S Sedan. Doing some upgrades/modifications in a few areas, including Stillen exhaust and cold air intake, window tint, and fog lights. I want to upgrade the rims but having a hard time finding 18" rims that will fit given the large size of the rotors and calipers on the S Sedan model.

Anyone out there having any success in finding a decent looking rim that will fit in the $200-400 price range?
  • Options
    ross57ross57 Member Posts: 6
    I'm 6'-3", 175 lbs; comfort of driver's seat is a high priority. It felt good during my two test drives, but I'd be grateful for any feedback from G37 sedan owners of similar height. I'm especially interested in knowing whether you adjust the seat to its highest position and whether you feel the head room is sufficient. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Options
    woj207woj207 Member Posts: 54
    I'm just over 6ft, but I have a tall upper body (I only wear 32inch inseam pants). I just purchased a 2010 G37 with moonroof, and I can feel the roof on my head on occasion. I've got the seats as low as they can go, and Its not like i"m rubbing on the ceiling, I just bump it every once in a while.
  • Options
    ross57ross57 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks--I just purchased a 2009 G37x with moonroof, and the top of my head barely misses the roof even with the seat in its highest position. But I have a 34" inseam, so clearly in this case it pays to have a stubby upper body. Very pleased with the purchase, and with the car, which I pick up on Monday. Enjoy your 2010!
  • Options
    rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    Are the standard wheels actually painted with metallic paint? I think mine have a couple of places where the paint is starting to chip away from the underlying metal or undercoat.
    Does anyone else have this problem or is my eyesight just bad and its not really a defective paint job but something else.
  • Options
    highspeedgmanhighspeedgman Member Posts: 5
    I'm with karsick to a point, if you have a G you are not really worried about the fuel price, at least i'm not. My 2005 has over 350hp with a few after market adds and a performance tune. The hype of a 7 speed vehicle doesn't even interest me; I can hardly get our of 4th gear, at 120mph before i start depending on my Jamming system to keep me turning into 5th gear for a little more speed at a top speed of 147mph to date, what in the world do i need another 3 gears to go through before you feel the need for speed? My question is, why not keep the one you have, build it, love it, keep it maintained and save yourself $50,000.00 dollars. Drive it like you own it, and goose it every chance you get.
  • Options
    highspeedgmanhighspeedgman Member Posts: 5
    I will admit that my G 35 Sedan is a toy to me and i have alot of fun driving it. In any thing you have you have to take care of it! It seems to me through reading the blogs, that everyone is having issues with their Car, do to, more than likely, lack of maintenance. Remember your car is a machine that needs to be inspected after long drives in the country, to a from trips to work, or in my case after a high speed extravaganza's. All i can say is don't think your car will not let you down if you let it down by neglect. Just a little word of wisdom. :shades:
  • Options
    billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Interesting comment about number of AT gears.

I have a 2010 G37S sedan with 6 MT. I generally use only 3 or 4 gears, although I could use a taller highest gear for better fuel efficiency on the road. So, it's not so much the number of gears, but rather driving conditions & style.

I like the acceleration and performance when I need it. At other times (e.g. in street traffic) I try to maximize fuel efficiency by following the LCD fuel meter. Getting 21 mpg around town and 26 on the road. Not bad for a street rocket.
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2010
    LOL. I concur. When I had my 6MT (a 3-series), oftentimes I went 1st, 2nd, and then straight to the 6th gear once I hit 45+ mph.

Now I have the 7AT G37S, the transmission has adapted (no kidding!) to my driving style. Depending on the amount the throttle you apply, it will either go silky smooth through all 7 gears (you hardly feel it shifts), or hold on to low gears to around 5000 RPM before up shifting and then settle at 6th or 7th gear once you loose up the gas pedal. It is a blast to drive this car. :)
  • Options
    sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    DS Mode

Nuff said.
  • Options
    pulp_fictionpulp_fiction Member Posts: 4
    I find my 7sp G37S tends to chirp 2nd quite often when I get on it. Not consistently but about 75% of the time. Traction control on and not in DS mode. Just giving it most of the go pedal.
    Anybody else experience this?
  • Options
    Does anyone have any opinions on Service (Shop) Manuals for the 2009 G37 sedan? I did a net surf, and got two hits, both CD versions. One was an/the
    "Official" Infiniti site, that wanted something like $250 for the (CD) manual. Another
    was some site called "tradebit.com" that offered a "downloaded" version of a manual for $7.99. Needless to say, at the moment the $7.99 version has my interest... Has anyone heard of this "tradebit.com" outfit?

---Mazzman
  • Options
    albostonalboston Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

A few thoughts on G37X 2009 after 8 mths. of driving. Love the car and service. However a few things come to mind:
    - software for transmission is subpar, they are not able to get it right, it's jerky around 30 m/h and no current update available;
    - paint self healing is awful, so soft that there is more damage from highways than on another car in 2 years, just a silly gimmick;
    - no more than 23 miles/gallon on highway driving with easy - low;
    - a need to slam trunk each time - a design defect with rubber supports;
    - no thermo insulation for cabin from engine, as a result it gets hot and radiate the heat inside the cabin - has to run a/c even when outside is nice;
    - tires already at 7/32 tread depth after just 7,000 miles;

This is just FYI, I addressed these issues to Infiniti and they were not interested whatsoever. It's difficult to understand that groups of professional engineers are not able to fix all this at try outs + always hire a lot of consultants from the side.

I am happy with the purchase due to $7,500 discount, but surprised by all these design mistakes.
  • Options
    albostonalboston Member Posts: 7
    Why do you even need it? You just need to change oil/filter every 4k, rotate tires every year and replace cabin and engine filter + brake fluid after 2 years. Nothing else needed for first 4 years, bogus expenses. Even oil could be replaced after 7K according to manual if highway driving mostly. But it is a silly theory as the oil compartment is rather small, it burns oil out and at 4K it is at low level.
    If you do what service people tell you - do 7K, 15K service and so on - you are wasting money that hard to get, and it would make sense just to give them to some needy or homeless people.
  • Options
    g37issuesg37issues Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    2009 Infinity G37x-Two weeks ago- had the VDC, slip and check engine light come on and it was hesitating and the gas pedal wouldnt work, like it had no power- stopped and turned the car off, still had the issues. Took it in they replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor. Unfortunately I still have this problem although since then the lights do not come on anymore. Also after that I notice when I brake the RPM's will go up about 500 and quickly go back down which causes the car to pull. There is also a slight rattling noise coming from under the car (cant hear it every time). I have also notices when going from
    3rd to 4th it hesitates, like it doesn't want to shift, will sit at 3000RPM for up to 2 min...

I have it at the shop now but they dont seem to know what to fix. I did see something online about a PCM Software update? Any ideas?! I just bought this car.
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited November 2012
    Hi, g37issues,

A lot of folks (including 2009 owners) say that the most recent software update took care of the transmission problems. Here's a link to more information:

Infiniti G37 Transmission Problems

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review