Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan

loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
The news is out. The G37 sedan will make its way here for 2009. Already in Europe. More hp(320), 7 speed trans, bigger brakes and redesigned side mirrors/interior controls. Will the MSRP be more than the 2007 and 2008's with all the new stuff?

Comments

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Hmmm, I will be surprise if they do it cuz it's kind of undervalue the all-new '09 Fx35 which has the same HP as the current G35 sedan.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    There is a big thread about this over at g35driver.com. Lots of dealers are on the thread, and say they got their order forms from infiniti.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Even if the MSRP is higher, the G37 is going to be the hottest car on the market (with more than 300+ hp). I cant wait to get mine, just bite the bullet and get it, you will not regret get. I might just end my 08 G35 lease prematurely to get into the G37 :)
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    On the topic of the G, I wonder, during this fuel crunch hype, how Infiniti's sales will hold up against both the new TSX and the is250 with their superior MPG's (which is top-of-mind in every segment of the car market).

As a former very happy owner of a G20t 5speed, I'd be VERY interested in an efficient & sport-oriented "G25s" if such a car existed.

Imagine a cloth-sport-seat, 6-speed manual, sport-suspended, 200lb lighter version of a RWD G35 sedan, but with a tuned 200hp QR25 4cyl in place of the V6.

Does Infiniti/Nissan care??? :confuse:
    Karsick, Infiniti will not have a cloth seat vehicle. The G is the altima. So, a 2.5 altima is what you are looking for. The only difference is the altima is FWD.

I will be looking at the g37x sedan, but in a couple years. I always wait for the kinks to be worked out. The engine has been used in the coupe, but the trans and braking system will be new. Also, dealers will be asking MSRP for the G37. SO a year after you will get the deals, like you get now.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I can assure the G's sales will not be impacted by the MPG. People who end up getting the G are seeking perfomance and understand that MPG is the price they pay for that perfomance. The G35 sedan already comes well appointed, add the additional 20+ horses, man, I am already drooling over this car. Hopefully with the 7 speed, the MPG will be better than the 5 speed and closer to the competition, the 335i & IS350.

The 07 Gs had a lot of issues, I too will get the 2010 model, cant wait.
  • sang1sang1 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any information about the gearing ratio of the 2009 G37 Sport Sedan with the 6 speed manual transmission? More specifically, will it be the same as the 2008 G35 Sport 6MT or will it be revised to better match the 2009 7 speed automatic which should get much better fuel economy?
    people are already placing orders for the 2009 G37 sedan. No price has been set. People are agreeing on how much over invoice they will pay.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Is it confirmed that a g37 sedan will come in 09?? -- the fx just upgraded to the current g engine along with the EX ..ex for 2008 and fx for 2009 why would infiniti go this route with the current G being only 2 years young and being at the top of the HP heap(for entry lux sedans)?? just doesnt add up for the us market..
    The changes mostly mechanical., except for new side markers and a redesigned side mirror. The G37 sedan will have around 15 more HP, but less torque. The 7 speed trans will mostly help at higher speeds with fuel economy. Oh ya, and bigger brakes. Infiniti I think redesigns every 4-5 years. So look for a total redesign for 2010 or 2011.
    There are even rumors about an optional V8 or G50. Now that would be sweet. If they do that, all the G37 buys will be upset.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    What are you saying? My 2006 6MT lease is over in October...Are you saying I can go to my local Infiniti dealer and order a 2009 G37 Sedan? I have not seen ANYTHING official yet anywhere (online and otherwise) that the G35 will be upgraded to a G37 for 2009. Any links/references CONFIRMING (Not assuming) will be appreciated.
    That is what I am saying. Go to g35driver.com. Under forums, choose sedan. It talks about all the links and the people that have already ordered them. It will be under 2009 G37 sedan model changes. Towards the end of one thread you get confirmations. The other is the orders put in.
    http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224448

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230878
    I see, but again these are simply threads by "unkowns" and no one knows if what they are saying is true. I am still not sure a G37 Sedan will exist in MY 2009.... I see no proof anywhere. I am waiting for some Media or preferably Infiniti announcement/confirmation...until then all seem to be rumors..
    Just go ask the dealership. Say you want to pre-order the g37 sedan coming out this fall. See what they say. Yes, they have not officially anounced the G37 sedan for the U.S., which is in europe right now. Google G37 sedan. You will see pictures of the car in europe. All they have to do is just up production, and ship them here.
    Some of those people on that forum own infiniti dealerships. They ordered them already. So, if they are lying that would suck, but I doubt it.
  • sang1sang1 Member Posts: 5
    I've visited 3 dealerships over the past 10 days here in Southern California. All 3 have confirmed the new 2009 G37 sedan with 7 speed auto transmission. The details of when they are to arrive are still unclear - September or October...
    Just hing up the phone with Infiniti of Ann Arbor here in MI. They are taking orders for August Production of G37 Sedans...he went through the specs with me already. They expect delivery in mid-late September.
    The only unanswered question is: How much more will the G37 sedan be, than the G35 sedan?? New engine, brakes , trans and etc.
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    Just talked to a valley dealer, accepting deposit of $500 for 2009 G37 Sedan. More horse power, 7 speed auto and better fuel economy is what he divulged.
    So, now that this baby is confimed...anyone has links to websites, etc. where the G37 Sedan has been tested and data is available? I know it has been out in Europe already
    The G37 sedan right now in europe has the same HP, but 10 less torque. People are already negotiating $500 above invoice for the car, but no one knows how much it will cost. We all know it has the 7 speed trans, bigger brakes, redesigned side mirrors, turn knob seat heat controls. But that is it. Infiniti in notorious for mid deisign changes. But they do their total redesigns every 4-5 years.
  • aamcaamc Member Posts: 15
    Just wondering if anyone else out there has ponied up and ordered the G37 sedan. I'm happy with my initial negotiation of $500 over invoice, but was wondering if anyone has been able to do better.
    I think $500 is the norm. Plus finance rate at the time of delivery. Look here. G35driver.com
  • aamcaamc Member Posts: 15
    I don't know if it could be said that $500 over invoice is the norm. I've been on several G35 sites and haven't seen anyone, other than myself and maybe perhaps an Infiniti sales person, who has placed an order.
  • sbebssbebs Member Posts: 3
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    yes, I do care about both.....

This G37 w/seven-speed automatic trans. might be of interest to me, depending on exactly what final drive they choose . . . Has anyone seen that information released? I do not see any detail on NissanNews.com ??

The G35 sedan w/five speed automatic has recorded fairly ‘sprightly’ acceleration times – most recent one I recall is the R&T test, comparison with the new Caddy CTS.
    0 – 60 = 5.3
    Quarter = 13.8 at 102.9

If they select a final drive ratio that both allows even better acceleration ( 5.0 to 60, & 13.6 ? 13.5 ? ) – ** AND ** improved highway fuel mileage, I might actually be interested . . .

I have driven a couple of G35s – and ( to me ) they have become very good Sport Sedans.

Seems to me that, with the much wider ratio spread ( in addition to the 2 additional gears ) Infiniti could use something like a 3.0 or 3.2 final drive.

First gear ratio in the five speed =
    3.84 times final drive of 3.69 = just over 14:1

First gear ratio in the new seven speed =
    4.92 times ( a hypothetical ) final drive ratio of
    3.0 = 14.7:1
    3.2 = 15.7:1

That 3.0 or 3.2 final drive, combined with the 0.77 seventh gear ratio ( vs 0.839 for fifth \ top gear in the G35’s five speed ) would reduce RPM at cruise substantially - by something like 20 or 25%. [ see below ]

I’d guess the result MIGHT be an increase in highway MPG of 10% to 15%? If the 3.7L motor is not materially thirstier than the 3.5L.

Meaning: Current G35’s, 2008 EPA highway estimate = 24 would become 26 or even 27 MPG ?

For context here, the BMW 3 series ( one strong competitor, in my mind ) posted EPA highway = 28 for the 328i and 26 for the 335i. And that BMW straight 6 is a pretty fuel-efficient motor, at least cruising.

Anyway – point is I think that I will watch for driving impressions & tests of the seven-speed version of the Gs, and may schedule a test drive to see for myself.

- Ray
    Would prefer an M50 with this seven-speed,
    but that appears unlikely for the 2009 model year - oh well . . .

3.69 * 0.839 = overall 3.096
    3.00 * 0.770 = overall 2.310 = approx. 25% less RPM
    3.20 * 0.770 = overall 2.460 = approx. 20% less RPM
    2022 X3 M40i
    I secong the M50 w/7 speed. Actually, I would like a M50XS. The only thing that I can't stand is the gas guzzler tax.
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Nice post (Love the math)....I couldn't agree more. They need to tune the programming also to not be so aggressive in reg D. DS mode...sure...thats why it's there. As I've posted before...I literally use my paddles for a quick override up-shift from time to time as it holds each gear way too long at very light throttle. Stab it to jump into traffic and forget it...it will stay in gear for an extra 3-5 count even without throttle. Makes you feel like a rookie stick shift driver. I always look down on the highway at my RPMs and cringe. There is def a miscalculation when an auto 5 speed Sports SEDAN revs VERY similarly to a 6 spd S2000 on the highway.
    I am not sure I’d term this a “miscalculation”, exactly – since Infiniti appears to have sold a bunch of G35s. . .

It is one significant factor in my decision to buy a different sedan, back in 2005.

And if the gearing of the G37 Sedan results in substantially reduced RPM at cruise ( my current ride shows less than 1,800 RPM at 80 MPH ) I would see that as a rather large improvement. And I’d expect that the MPG at cruise would improve as well, as I posed above. And assuming the same or better acceleration, I’d see this as sufficient upgrade to warrant including this Sedan on my ‘Short List’ . . .

I’d be pretty amazed if Infiniti does ** NOT ** seize this opportunity ( adding the seven speed trans. ) to improve the EPA rated ( and actual, ‘real world’ ) fuel efficiency.

- Ray
    Expecting that we will know for sure shortly . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I lump it in with the silly-skinny sport seats...stupid and impractical...but not a deal breaker. I LOVE my car....to the point where my S2000 sat 3-4X's as much as when I had my 04TL. I think infiniti got a little silly since they made a somewhat large V6 rev to 7600RPMS (Within 500 of the 04&up S2000 for reference) and ignored overall final drive. If it were a quick and easy fix and I owned Vs lease, I would drop a taller ring/pinion in there from Stillen. The car has so much midrange that 1st gear acceleration wouldn't be hurt very much. This car with a well-programmed 7 speed should be GREAT ! !
  • papsephuspapsephus Member Posts: 15
    I just went to the Infiniti Western Europe website and they have the Infiniti G37 sedan on there. The car is the same with the exception of the 7 speed automatic transmission. 7th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce RPMs. It does not give fuel economy numbers, but it says mpg is improved. Only visial difference is a standard set of 18 inch alloy wheels. You can still get the current 18 inch wheels along with the 18 inch wheels that come with the coupe. It does not mention any MSRP, but I do expect the price to go up. I will be in the market for a new car in about a year, so I'm waiting for this one to come out.
    It seems that this vehicle will arrive about 1 year after the new BMW 3 series. To me, there are a few reasons the G35 was less than attractive than the 3 series. The 335i is faster and is more refined. Plus, all of your maintenance is paid for except tires. I really think that is where the additional BMW cost comes in. No charge for oil changes, buttons wear out, light bulbs go out, etc; it doesn't matter, it is covered. The other factor is the gas mileage. I thought it was tough to purchase a car so small and get that low of gas mileage.

Now, with a little bigger engine and hopefully the gas mileage is significantly better I can now justify the sacrifice in refinement as long as the price increase in the G37 is not to much.

There is one other thing; I don't like that washi finish. I want to be able to get the wood trim with the sports package.

I'm pretty excited about the G37's potential.
    “the 7 speed automatic transmission. 7th gear is an overdrive gear to reduce RPMs”

Assuming the same gearing as used in the FX series, I expect that both sixth and seventh will be overdrives. Fifth is ‘direct’ \ 1:1.

http://www.nissannews.com/assets/specs/2009_FX_Specs_NNA_Final.pdf
    2022 X3 M40i
    “Now, with a little bigger engine and hopefully the gas mileage is significantly better I can now justify the sacrifice in refinement as long as the price increase in the G37 is not to much.”

Ever review I have read of the G37 Coupe mentions an increase in refinement
    of the 3.7 vs the 3.5.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    If you compare the gear ratio numbers of the 08 G35 Sedan and the 09 FX35 RWD, looking for the RPM savings going to the 7 speed transmission (presuming they also use the rear end ratio of the FX35), they will achieve a reduction in RPM of 0.836x. So if the highway RPM is 3000 now it will be 2508 in the 09. Not as low as the competition, but definately an improvement over 3000 RPM.
    The first gear ratio is very high (numerically) on the 7 speed, so initial acceleration should be even better than the 08 (if that is possible).
    Sounds like a DEFINATE improvement !!!

See:
    link title
    link title
    The 335i is faster and is more refined. Plus, all of your maintenance is paid for except tires. I really think that is where the additional BMW cost comes in.

A loaded G35 is $40K. A loaded 335i is $50K. I think one can get a LOT of maintenance for $10K !!!
    Agreed....I got my 07 with some negotiating for invoice price FLAT....back in april of 07. So I got a loaded Sport model for 14K more than the 335. The BMW dealers were SO proud that they actually had a non-M 3 series with more than 220 or so horsepower...they were not budging. I always get confused on the refinement comment....I think the G is very refined (Engine growl might turn some people off), and I've owned plenty of cars in my years. The BMW interior being sooooo plain jane just did not do it for me.
    15ish % reduction in RPM is a good start...I hope they drop the rear differential (Numerically) in light of the super low 1st gear and drop the applied RPMs even more. I drove my friends grand cherokee the other day and was annoying seeing the tach fall to 2,000ish at 70. I still come back to the auto programming (I have 13K of miles living with mine) as a source of wasteful RPMs....I hope they will be addressing that. I've got another 19 mos or so on my lease....if the new one is not much better....I'll just be buying this one since the resid was low so my buyout is like 20K on a 40K car.
    Johninnj - What RPM does your G35 turn on the highway (at 70 or at 80)? I have driven them as loaners many times and remember over 3000 on the highway. I bought a Lexus GS350 a few months ago (traded in 90 Q45) because of the high RPM on ALL new Infinitis (and better acceleration & MPG than M35). The GS turns 2300 RPM at 80. Gets 29 MPG on the highway. What does your G35 get? My son is very seriously thinking about the 09 G37 with the 7 speed in about 6 months.
    R&T says 2550 @ 60 ...
    So ( roughly ) 3000 @ 70
    and 3400 @ 80...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/1207_ct_CTSvsG35S.pdf
    2022 X3 M40i
    Wow !!!
    3400 at 80 - that is REALLY EXCESSIVE !!!
    My GS350 is 2300 in 6th, even 2800 in 5th.
    I dont think my daughter's 4 cylinder VW Beetle is more than that on the hwy.
    Even if the 7 speed brings it down 20% it will still be 2720 at 80.
    American cars like the G8 turn 2000.
    Only 1 MPG ???
    Was it really even worth the effort ???
    I would expect a larger improvement than that.
    Dont think Nissan would have spent the money for only 1 MPG.
    Before I bought my GS350, I looked at the G35 & M35.
    Asked about Infiniti putting in the 7 speed.
    The sales manager said they would never do it before a model redesign
    because they would have to pay to have the car recertified by the EPA.
    Apparently that is a major expense.
    We can just wait and see....
    I was surprised too, when I read that article. But only Nissan knows, and they haven't released any numbers yet. I think that article is just speculation. I personally don't think it will be as big of an increase as people want. But a few more MPG is better than nothing.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    1/20 = 5% ... depends on how it runs through the gears. I'll be it'll be much smoother than the 2008 6-speed.

Regards,
    OW
    Sounds right....maybe a TAD higher in real world..but my tires are now prob 50% tread (Affects applied RPMs). If fuel economy and nice easy low RPM cruising is the goal....stay away lol. I ha an 05 s2000 on lease (Turned in 2 mos ago) that would spin just a few hundred RPMs higher at any given speed...6 speed manual 2.2 liter V-tec sports car. Someone at Infiniti really messed up on this. If I buy this car after lease is over...a new ring and pinion will be going in....no question. I have enough torque (Even with the posi in the sport package) to kick in the traction control at 1/2 throttle...or sometimes in 2nd gear....so I can slack off a little on the gearing. It's wasteful...the car is beautiful and clean underneath (Including a nice bellypan for drag), and smooth on the top. They completely ruined highway mpg with the gearing.
    I got word that the G37 Sedan should be arriving sometime in October. This is sooner than I expected, but great for me. I won't be in the market for a new car until mid next year. That gives me time to hear the reviews.
    3100 @ 75MPH...so just under 2.5 MPH per 100 RPMS. 14K on the car...Sport Auto...tires look like 60ish %
    Excessive indeed.
  • trey101trey101 Member Posts: 15
    The reason to use a greater number of gears in newer autos is not necessarily ONLY to provide better fuel economy. The 7-speed in the new G37 allows for closer/shorter/more aggressive spacing between gears, which increases performance. The extra gears also allows the last couple to be long for low rpm cruising and better fuel economy.

Assuming that the G37 7-speed Auto has the same ratios and final drive as the new FX and using the tire size from the '08 G35, this new 7-speed will result in 1st gear ending at 32 mph, 2nd gear at 50 mph, 3rd at 79 mph. 80 mph in 7th gear will be just under 3,000 rpm (2,9xx). As you can see, performance will be greatly enhanced at lower mph, due to the greater torque multiplication compared to the old auto transmission. This will result in greater acceleration.

In terms of the comparisons to rpm at highway cruising, keep in mind that this new engine has a high 7,500 rpm redline - 1,000 rpm higher than the Lexus GS350 that is mentioned earlier. 3,000 rpm is 40% of redline which is close to what the Lexus is running. Even so, we all know that a Lexus is designed to have a different personality than a BMW or Infiniti (I own a Lexus and BMW, and owned a G35 coupe). I am not shocked that the Lexus cruises at 2,300 rpm at 80 mph - they are designed for customers that favor quiet cruising over sportiness (or at least place them higher on priority). The American V8s (like the vette or GTO) rev low for a few reasons - 1. They have lower redlines, 2. They have tons of low end torque and are happy lumping around at 2,000 rpm. 3. They need to have really long 6th gear in order to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Regarding fuel economy, do people really care about whether the sport sedan they are shopping for gets 25, 26, or 29 mpg? At 12,000 miles per year, the difference between 25 mpg and 29 mpg is about $270. Would anyone shopping for a sport sedan let that control their driving experience? I'd understand slighlty more if we were comparing 15 mpg to 30 mpg, but not at the insignificant differences mentioned here.
    It's all relative. And people's MPGs seem to vary....coming out of a TL with 270hp I expected better mpg. My s2000 got 29 and change on a NJ-DC round trip...a 2.2 spinning those RPMs is one thing...a 3.5 is completely different story. Just because the engine revs to 7500 (I could have sworn my tach said 7600 is redline), doesn't mean you use it in highway cruising. The 7 speed is not going to affect the 0-60 as much as you might think..despite the redline....this thing is a torque monster...and even with the Sport and it's LSD rear....I am banging the traction control light at even half-throttle sometimes. Using your own #'s....3rd will take you to 79MPH....so is there ANY reason for anything other than a high-overdrive 7th? Do you really need acceleration up in the 120 + range?
  • trey101trey101 Member Posts: 15
    3,000 rpm on the highway at 80 mph is not that high. That is only 2,250 rpm at 60 mph. The reason I related it to max rpm (7500 or 7600) is that cars with higher redlines often have torque curves that rise up as rpm rises. The G35 for instance has a nice relatively flat curve down low but it does rise during the midrange (it makes mroe torque at 3,000 rpm than it does at 1,500 rpm). The purpose of having more revs in 7th gear is so that you have enough power to move out quickly without dropping gears. If 7th gear on the G revved at 2,500 rpm at 80 mph, then that would mean it would be revving at 1,875 rpm at 60 mph. Below 2,000 rpm, the G35 engine is making much less torque than a few hundred rpm later. My BMW 335 revs at about 2800 at 80 mph, At that rpm, the car shoots out in 6th gear without me ever having to downshift. Of course, there is a fine line of compromise between performance and fuel economy. So, to respond to your statement - Yes, performance is important in 7th gear. You dont' cruise around on the highway at redline in 3rd gear, so good available power in 7th is important as well.

On your other point, 0-60 is becoming less of a good measure of performance. With cars making more and more power, traciton off the line is as much of a factor in 0-60 as anything else. That being said, the new car with the 7-speed is putting down much more force to the ground (Yes, I have calculated this) than the 6-speed manual at low mph. The torque multiplication offered by the shorter gears is appreciable. Of course, this short gearing works better on an auto than on a manual as shifting non-stop trying to accelerate from a light is annoying. I would bet that the 0-60 in the auto is better than the old car even though there is only a 22 HP bump in power (and more weight). The new 7-speed does have a longer 4th gear that goes to 114, so overall performance may be hampered at the higher mph. By the way, if you think the G35 is a torque monster now, wait until you drive the car with the new automatic. I compared the calculated force to the ground to my BMW 335 6-speed and at low mph, the numbers are very similar - and the 335 has alot of torque for a entry level luxury car. I think you will be very pleased.