Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• vicarouzavicarouza Member Posts: 18
    Hello Steve, I had heard the same thing on the horsepower of the V6 being more than the V8, however I was also told that if I wanted the Limited with all the "GOODIES" - whatever they might be - HIDs??, Heated Seats??, DVD-Navigation system??, JBL-Sound system??, etc. etc. - you get my drift, that I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH THE V8 as the Top-of-the-line Limited will be only so equipped. Can you confirm if this is true???....and I'm really excited that all of them will come with a 5-speed transmission - Yipee - (was keeping my fingers crossed on this one)- better highway fuel economy, quieter cruising and better spacing of ratios providing brisker acceleration!!!.....what I would really like to get is a Limited with all the goodies, but with the V6 for better highway passing power. IMHO, the 283lb ft of torque is plenty for me, considering the 4-runner's size/weight (I don't really tow that much)
    Thanks for the input!
    Vic
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I had really hoped that the 4Runner would have a third row. I consider that a must on my next vehicle. Too bad for Toyota. They screwed up and may have forced my into the Sequoia instead :).

I find the 5 speed intriguing. Anyone care to speculate on whether that will make it's way into the Sequoia since it also has the V8? Any inside info or rumors?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Why is that too bad for Toyota? It sounds like that's a good thing for them as far as you are concerned since it will push you to the Sequoia. It is a higher priced vehicle. I considered the Sequoia when I bought my QX4 but just could not afford the price. The 4Runner was #2 on my list but lost out because of it being underpowered.
    Sarcasm.

In theory I would prefer a 4Runner with a third row, even though I have not seen one yet. I really like the new Explorer but I've taken a financial bath on one already, not looking to do it again. The Sequoia is bigger than we need, but it seems like the best option at this point. I just need to save some more money because I don't believe in the 5+ year, $500+ payment.
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    Man the wait has been killing me, I like what I'm reading so far, though I agree the lack of an optional third row is unfortunate. A few more questions......

Anyone know about the new engine source? Is it a modified (insert toyota product here) engine or is it totally new? Any mileage estimates for either the V6 or V8?

Any word on upgraded safety features? I was hoping to see side impact airbags and/or a headliner curtain airbag.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    Okay, I'll try to answer what I can. (Remember most info is still preliminary and may change)

Pricing - Very early, most likely will go up. But not too much as to crowd the Sequoia. We had a sheet with some info, but couldn't keep it.

Power Rear Window - unknown, hopefully won't go away.

Headroom - nothing specific, I'm sure it will be more. Check GX470 specs.

Limited V8 only - Yes

HID - was discussed, I think yes

Heated Seats - Std on Limited

JBL - all three upgrade stereos are JBL branded with 10 speakers. JBL engineers are involved in development of vehicle and speaker placement. All include rear seat audio with remote wireless headphone capability.

NAV - Included in top of line audio system, that system also has a back up camera.

Side Air Bags - Available on all models.

Hope that helps
  • vicarouzavicarouza Member Posts: 18
    I'm a little dissapointed that I can't get a Limited V6, but since you say that the DVD NAV (WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OPTION FOR ME) is included with all Top-of-the-Line Audio systems, maybe I can order a V6 SR5 or Sport?? with LEATHER, HEATED SEATS, JBL/NAV and SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS...... and HIDs would be nice (but if that's only a Limited model option, I can live without it).......but then again, I might just go ahead and opt for the Limited V8 (depending on what all other "goodies" it offers)....either way I'm REALLY EXCITED and can't wait for it to hit the showroom floor.

.......and as far as that 3rd row option goes, I COULD CARE LESS!!!!!!....I'm Toyota's typical 4Runner demograpic - currently own a 2001 SR5 4WD - (in other words: I'm single, can afford the 4Runner, DO NOT WANT ANOTHER SOCCER-MOM WAGON THAT IS 77 INCHES WIDE - Acura MDX??? - I dread to think that I almost bought that WIDE-BODY TRAILER because of the excellent DVD Nav system - Even though I do understand that the new 4Runner will be SLIGHTLY bigger externally, I'm really happy that Toyota has not OVERSIZED this vehicle to please the BIGGER-IS-BETTER crowd who already have a dozen choices......after all the 4Runner's relatively tidy dimensions are what make it such a "FUN" vehicle to drive, manuver, park and have a ball on THE TRAILS
    Where the heck have ya been? Would you care to share any additional brilliant insights?

I can hardly wait........
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    Buzz,

as i recall, you were convinced (tho not very convincing) that the 4Runner would arrive by March --or was it april, could've been February. Oh well, i think we all knew you were making it up... what new humor?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    that it just happens to coincide with when the new model year comes out that the 4Runner is coming. Don't you just hate it when someone can't admit they were wrong?
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Buzz as I can re-call you said March for the 4Runner and it would not be based on the Lexus GX470, it would have it's on design and it will have a 3rd row seat. Looks like you totally got it wrong to me. Or am I missing something?
    Trouble with computers is that they leave records. Here is a copy of what "buzzlight" said about March, Lexus, 3rd seat and 4Runners.

-----------------------------
    "#1134 of 1614 Re: The New 4 Runner by buzzlight Jan 31, 2002 (05:28 pm)
    As I predicted, the next generation 4 Runner will not be based on the Lexus. The 2003 4 Runner WILL be release in March, as I have previously posted."
    ---------------------------

"#1245 of 1614 2003 4 Runner by buzzlight Feb 21, 2002 (06:53 pm)
    My sources confirm the late March delivery of the 2003 4 Runner. They have given me the impression that it will look significantly different. Third row seating is a definite option as is a V8"

-------------------------------

So what am I so wrong about? Hey, look at the bright side, at least you predicted a V8.
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Member Posts: 24
    (which apparently is 'Buzz is the anti-Christ'), but I have a question about the 4Runner: My 98 Limited is in great condition EXCEPT for a trashed console - specifically the black pieces which run between the front seats on up into the dash. Questions: Can these be replaced by me (decent skills with hand tools)? Any clue on parts cost and install costs from/by the dealer? Where can I order parts online? Many thanks -love the forum - and the truck.
    To Cliffy and Steve:
    Mucho thanks for all the info. As a non-car industry guy the inside info you provide has been timely, accurate (unlike some folks), and much appreciated. You make this forum worth checking out regularly.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    That's a ditto from me too. You guys are a great asset to this msg. board. Cliffy, I'm still in my 1995 4-Runner w/over 250,000 mi. Only one unscheduled maintenance was last year...a drive shaft...fixed in an hour for about $480.

My last 4-Runner (1986 SR5-Turbo w/all the bells & whistles available) lasted for over 300,000 mi. and was a trade in for the 1995. You can tell I drive the hell out of these vehicles, but am a stickler for oil changes & maintanence schedules.

Cliffy, my dilemma is this new 2003 4-Runner w/V-8, etc. VS. the legendary Land Cruiser w/V-8, etc.

I thought I had this all figured out until the 4-Runner decided to go to the V-8. Now I'm at a crossroads because I need an SUV that will be able to tow a boat or my utility trailer thru all sorts of terrain from the flats of Florida to the Mountains in the Shennandoah.

I love the looks and feel of the Land Cruiser, but get a bad case of sticker shock every time I test drive one. The Sequoia is no option for me because I just plain don't like its looks, feel, and drive. Do you think the new 4-Runner w/V-8 will be able to handle all of my required towing? I wonder if this is what Toyota had in mind when they decided to go for a bigger engine in the 4-Runner?

Cliffy & Steve, please chime in and give me your opinions. I know the final choice will eventually be mine, but your imput would be greatly appreciated and informative. Thanks
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    JamesBass1, Is it not true that the 03 4 runner is the GX 470 with all the goodies? If so , then the data from that car should answer you question about size, power and appearance.
    Check out posts 1583 and 1591 on this board. There's been some new info added recently about the '03 4Runner.
  • yosshimurayosshimura Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for an early 90's 4Runner, and am thinking of not concerning myself with a unit that is near or just above 100K miles, as long as it has the proper maintainance records (ie: timing belt changed, etc). Yesterday, I saw a 91 with 154K miles and it looked like new! The seats were not worn out like you see lower mileage American trucks all the time. The leather was barely stretched.

So, I figure if I buy a unit with 100K and it can look like this one at 154K, then I have a few years of driving pleasure and reliability(right?) for a relatively low cost.

What kind of mileage due these 4runners usually reach before dieing?

thanks
  • xpara504xpara504 Member Posts: 4
    The May 13, issue of AutoWeek has a brief article about the 2003 4Runner. It reads: "When the next Toyota 4Runner arrives this fall, it'll come with a V8 engine for the first time and a revised all-wheel-drive system that channels power diagonally to help provide maximum traction. Look for the 240-hp 4.7-liter V8 from the Tundra and Sequoia as the top engine option fo the 2003 4Runner."
    The story of "jamesbass1" getting 250,000 and 300,000 miles on a 4Runner should be music to your ears. I plan on keeping my 4Runner for a long time. "yosshimura" asked how long do 4Runners last. Here is a link to a discussion about this, it had over 54 responses. I found it very interesting.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=007384

(PS- For "jamesbass" the Lexus GX470 can tow 6,500 pounds according to Edmunds and I would guess the new 4Runner with a V8 will be the same.)

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    First of all, you know what a fan I am of the Cruiser. I also know that the price is extremely high. I know you'll make your own decision here but I will chime in on the towing issue. The Land Cruiser is larger but that is a two edged sword. The obvious plus to the larger size is stability. You will not be pushed around by winds and tractor trailer.

The down side is that you will use more energy to move the vehicle and therefore have less power to move the trailer. Given identical HP ratings, and identical weight trailers, the lighter weight tow vehicle will be faster and therefore, better in the hills. Its your call if the trade off is worth it.
  • alv2alv2 Member Posts: 1
    97 SR5 6cyl. auto. sunroof, 51000mi.
    To think that I looked at Jeep and Chevy SUVs and was very close to buying one. I thought that the Toyotas were too expensive. On a last minute whim I stopped by the Toyota dealership and found a good deal. This vehicle has to be the most solid and well built vehicle I have ever owned. I am very pleased with my 4runner, it could use more power but I also get 20mpg which is pretty good. I have always been a Chevy guy, my last truck had 207,000mi when it died and I still have a 3/4 ton beater for the heavy duty thrashing but I don't see myself ever going back to the Chevy/Ford/Dodge world of trucks. My girlfriend, parents and friends all have Toyota cars and trucks and I am glad to say that I have joined the ranks.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Cliffy, any truth to the rumor that the Land Cruiser (and LX470 too) may disappear from the North American market in a few years due to the fact that the frame is too rigid to meet future crash (crush) standards?

Bob
    Haven't heard that one. If it is discontinued, it will be for lack of sales. I have heard rumblings that the LC will reinvent itself as a "retro" style off-roader and the LX will retail the luxury badge.
    Ever since the Sequoia was introduced here I wondered how long the LC would continue in the US market. I know the LC's reputation/off road prowess is unparalleled and it's the only large Toyota SUV overseas, but lets be serious for a second. They are very similar in size/4wd systems/drivetrains/seating capacity etc. and the Seq wins the sticker price war. Really how much more "luxurious" is the LC than a Limited Sequoia? If lux is your focus then you'd be drawn to the LX-470 anyhow. Don't get me wrong, while I respect the LC (and think it looks better than the ugly Sequoia), a 4runner is better for my needs. If I needed a bigger truck, I'd have a hard time spending more $$$ for the LC w/ the Sequoia sitting right next to it. I suspect that's why the LC sales aren't what they used to be, but I could be wrong.

Cliffy, care to elaborate on the rumors you've heard?
    A friend of mine who sell's Toyota's said there will be a no price increase and even a reduction in price on the SR5. So far it's just a rumor.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I have also heard that the '03 Runner will be cheaper. Toyota is constantly reducing costs (tapping suppliers dry) without sacrificing quality.
    Sounds like more good news on top of the spec list.

Glzr2, do you mind revealing your source? Just wanna make sure it's not ol' Buzz.

I do have one concern; awhile back Cliffy referenced the '96 runner and the fact that it's pricing stayed at or above MSRP for a couple (or was it several) years. I hope this isn't the case this time around. I'm in the market now and I know this may be the price of admission to the 4-runner game, but I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to pay MSRP (certainly not over it).

How about it Cliffy? Care to venture a guess or give us your gut intuition?
  • jms333jms333 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought an '02 4 runner, but noticed a considerable lack of thigh support...my right leg gets quite fatigued after stop and go driving. I think this is because the seats are situated so low to the floor. Is there any way I can fix this problem? Are there any after-market firms that can elongate the seats to provide better thigh support? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I work for a company that supplies parts to TMS. I know first hand how Toyota will be able to sell the '03 cheaper. Then I read today that Toyota posted record earnings for the fiscal year. I wonder how?

If you can afford to buy the current Runner at MSRP or slightly below, and if the '03 is cheaper, you should be gold for buying the '03 at MSRP or slightly above MSRP. It's your mind set. Just think, you're getting more vehicle, paying less, even if it's at MSRP
    Honda/Acura has been selling several of there cars at sticker for some time now. I figure the 4runner will do the same for at least 3-6 months when introduced. The Prius, Matrix XRS, MR2 Spider are going close to sticker.
    I'll comment on both rumors that I was asked about. The first is about the next generation Cruiser. The person I heard that from was very unsure about how solid the information was. Information from this person has been VERY good in the past but I remain curiously skeptical at this point.

As to the '03 Runner pricing, my District Manager didn't have any specific price data, but said it should come in about the same or a little less than the current model. I assume he meant the new V6 but a premium on the V8.
  • bwjones1bwjones1 Member Posts: 10
    Cliffy and others,

I have a 2002 4runner that I am considering putting in the TRD supercharger. What do they typically cost? How much is the installation cost? Anybody here with the supercharger that can comment on pros, cons?

Bryan
    I know a couple of guys who have had it installed. Cost is between $3000 and $3500 installed. They're pretty awesome, but I want to warn you about something. When you first install it, you will notice very little boost. It takes some time for the computers to recognize the new realities of its air situation. I've heard of it taking up to two weeks to adapt. Once it does, hang on!
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for the reply and sorry about the delay in getting back to you...I've been burning pavement in my 4-Runner!...heh,heh.
    It was interesting to read about lighter vs. heavier vehicles w/identical horses.

Now that I've limited my choice down to two vehicles (Cruiser & 4Runner V8) the decision on which one suits all my needs comes down to a waiting game to see this new 2003 4runner. I'm just going to be chompin at the bit to test drive this baby and thoroughly check it out in a "severe" manner...sounds like fun!

My current 4Runner runs like a top and never misses a beat on my trips. It amazes me the reliability of these vehicles. I know the dilemma some of these guys are facing when hitting the showroom of all the various domestic dealerships. When brand new, all these vehicles look great. But you really need to see older models that have some miles on them to see how the overall perceived quality falls apart. Granted, quality in domestics have improved, but only after droves of people flocked to Toyota and other imports for quality and reliability reasons forced domestics in that direction. Toyota too, has improved, tweaked, and refined its already excellent vehicles. Toyota is a VERY competitive company.

If any of you gals & guys out there are sitting on fence post trying to decide which fantastic SUV to buy, I can give you a little experienced advice from a ordinary owner/driver...spend the few extra bucks and go Toyota. So far, I've converted two of my immediate family members and they are extremely satisfied. The other two members are still in domestics. One being my father who served aboard an aircraft carrier in WWII in the Pacific (saw plenty action) and just won't buy one for that reason alone...I understand.

Well, happy hour is over...looking forward to your posts.
    Later Aligator, JB
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    From everything I've read and seen about the GX 470, and by some of the information that's out there, the next generation 4Runner sounds like it will be my next vehicle. The GX 470 was one of the most stunning SUVs at the auto shows this year, not just because of it's bold look, but because of everything it offers, especially the new suspension system (which I hope finds its way onto the 4Runner as an option). The only thing that may bother me is the right-swinging back gate, as opposed to a lift gate, which is one of the things I don't like about the Montero. But everything else may outweigh that minor dislike.

I have been obsessing over the H2 since I first saw the concept 2 years ago, and still feel that's the ultimate SUV, but would feel pretty self-conscious driving it around. Then there's fitting it in my garage and the gas mileage... So, when I saw the GX and read about it, I thought, "here's the perfect all-around sport-utility, but it's too expensive." Then I found out the original rumors were false about this being the Lexus version of the Sequoia, and that this was actually the same platform as the new 4Runner! I have now been obsessing over finding spy pics of the redesign, but have only seen 2. Both were in Truckin', last month and now this month, although some bonehead is calling the latest shot the Toyota Prado, thinking this is yet another new SUV from Toyota. The editor over there needs to get on the stick, since they had an almost identical shot the month before, calling it the 2003 4Runner.

This latest spy shot is better, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything else yet, either on line or otherwise. I'm going nuts waiting to see what the 4Runner will look like, so someone please help an obsessive/compulsive nutcase!

Thanks for your help.
    -TB
    I'm with you 100% with respect to the rear hatch. The 4runner would be my first SUV so it is not a big deal for me . I have also been looking for the spy picks and came up with nothing. Next summer I will be buying a new car and the 4 runner will be it unless I buy another sedan.
  • pamopamo Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know when Toyota began using depowered airbags in the 4Runner. I am looking at purchasing a used one, but want the second generation airbags. Dealers around here seem clueless, and I am waiting for an e-mail response from Toyota. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    All I can find here is that 2000 and later 4Runners had depowered airbags. "Info is not available" for '97-'99, and they weren't around prior to '97. (I clicked on Used here and then went to the Specs and Safety page for each model year).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pamopamo Member Posts: 39
    Thanks Steve. Finally found a dealer who called techs in California (Chicago area didn't know either) who stated that 1998 was the first year for depowered airbags. I have a teenage daughter who sits very close to the steering wheel (and a nephew who is blind in one eye from an air bag) so this is important to me.
    Here's more information on the re-designed 4Runner from another forum:

The LandCruiser Prado (Lexus GX470 in America) and the new 4Runner have been developed as twin models on a new platform. The new 4Runner is the rounder vehicle, the Prado is a squarer version very much like the current Prado and already shown in the luxury trim Lexus GX470 version. From the spy shots it seems the new 4Runner has abandoned its pickup basis (just like the Explorer and GMT 360 SUVs) and will be very similar to the Prado in size and character, but with extensive sheet-metal differences (more than even the Trailblazer/Envoy). The new vehicles will be direct competitors with the Explorer/Aviator in North America and should be much bigger sellers than the 4Runner and LX470 (which remains for now, although no-one is buying it). The current Prado (the gen preceding the GX470) was developed from the current 4Runner, but is much more like the Isuzu Trooper or LandRover Discovery than the pickup-based 4Runner. This new generation seems to be slightly larger than the current Prado, and the hp figures quoted by Reliability may be accurate, similar to the 4.2l VVT I6 and 5.3l V8 in the GMT360 SUVs.

Thanks to Griffon for setting the record straight. I appreciate the info. The misinformation in Truckin' confused me, but I'm back on track and even more anxious to see what the new 4Runner will look like! New pics, anyone? Anyone...? -TB
    My birthday is 9.11, I know ;o( , but this comes just in time to make it a better month. This is exciting news! Thanks for the update, Musatang.
  • jafo2001jafo2001 Member Posts: 98
    Two questions about the 4runner to help me decide if it's worth test driving.

1) is the 4wd system full time or part time or automatic?

2) is the ride very bouncy and truckish?
    Thanks
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I'm looking at used 4Runners, probably 97 or 98. Does the V6 have a timing belt that needs to be changed at 60K miles? If so, how expensive a job is it?
    The current 4Runner has part-time 4wd, but if you wait until September, the all-new '03 will probably have the same system that the new GX 470 has. It's a true full-time 4wd system, with a locking center differential and 4-Lo.

The current 4Runner doesn't have leaf springs, so it does ride very nicely. I haven't taken one off-road, but from what I've read and the people I've talked to, I'm sure it handles great there as well. While that suspension is good, the '03 may also have a new adaptive height suspension like the GX, allowing for lowering for easy entry and exit, or raising when in 4Lo for off-roading, as well as load-leveling and dampening. You can read all about it at www.SUV.com, or at Lexus.com.

All indications are that the new 4Runner is well worth the wait!
    As you can tell, I'm very excited about the next generation 4Runner. So here's another treat for everyone. Check out these photos of the '03 4Runner/GX 470/Prado!

Since I couldn't post any word with over 115 characters (lame), each on of these links had to be split up. So, in each URL, between the = and 2003 there's a space. Close that up after you past it into your browser address line. If you just click on the hyper-link, it will keep taking you to the same picture. Sorry, I didn't know any other way to do it, but it'll be worth it!

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tbcreative67/vwp?.dir=/Automotive&.dnm= 2003_4RunnerPrado.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tbcreative67/vwp?.dir=/Automotive&.dnm= 2003_GX470.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tbcreative67/vwp?.dir=/Automotive&.dnm= 2003_4RunnerTSS.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Or, you can go to this forum, scroll down until you find my posting, and click on the links there:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000300

Enjoy!

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Before posting, hit "Check Spelling," that seems to eliminate that problem.

Bob
  • jafo2001jafo2001 Member Posts: 98
    Any ideas of the cost of the 2003 or when it will come out?
    Seems to me it will be a lot more expensive from the looks of it.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    From the pictures we've seen so far, what do you think of the next generation 4Runner if the pictures are in fact the next model? Personally, I would prefer the current generation body style because it just looks sharp as well as other factors that make it what it is. But, then of course, it would be best to put off buying one until the next model comes out just in case the pictures we have seen are something completely different. I'm looking into purchasing a 4Runner this fall so I can't wait until we have firm, correct and concrete information on the new 2003. What do you all think?