Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Headlights

dad12dad12 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2004 Santa Fe. I am having a problem with the headlights not coming on when I start the car. I have to wait 5 to 10 minutes sometimes before they suddenly come on. The headlight switch is completely on. I can turn them on and of but they still will not come on. I have had the car into the dealer and they have told me they have to have it do the same thing to them. However every time I take it to them the headlights always come for them. I am really frustrated can anyone help me out. Thanks

Comments

• somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    relay going bad or switch going bad - they won't fix until it completely fails - but by that time - your head lights probably won't be working at all
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    You should try to identify the circumstances when the headlights won't come on. I'm guessing it's when the car is cold - by the time you get to the dealer, it's warmed up and the problem won't recur. Is the car garaged? How often does the problem happen? Have you ever had it happen after the car is warmed up?
  • dad12dad12 Member Posts: 2
    The Car is garaged. The problem does not occur everyday I would say about two or three times a week. I took it to the dealer and left it overnight and they could not duplicate what it was doing. Yes it has happened numerous times after my wife has driven for about 20 minutes parked for about 1 and a 1/2 hours and when starting no lights until about 5 to 10 minutes later. Hope this helps
  • frntwhlrfrntwhlr Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 Santa Fe & need to replace the turn signal bulb & can not remove the headlight assembly. I have removed the two bolts on top & the one nut in the rear but the lens seems to still be attached at the corner where the turn signal bulb is located, outside edge towards fender. Any help would be appreciated since I would prefer not to break off a hidden tab.

thanx in advance
    No screws should need to be removed. Haven't had to do this yet - but I'm pretty sure you need to look on the inside where you see the black round covers for the head lights - 1 for headlight - 1 for high beam and last in the corner a little different looking cover you should be able to twist to remove the signal light...
  • frntwhlrfrntwhlr Member Posts: 3
    On the drivers side you can't even see the black cover for the turn signal and with the fuse box right behind the assembly I can't even get my hand in there. The manual and sites online talk about removal to replace the bulb but i'm missing something.
    disconnect neg battery wire. remove headlight cover. go in with your left bear claw
    :-) and see if you have enough room to turn with your thumb and pointer or middle finger... the cover is not like the headlight covers - think of how you would turn your key in the ignition but left to loosen.
  • dl98vfrdl98vfr Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Hello, a quick question- my '05's headlights just stopped working, I checked all the fuses (which are all good) and just realized that my high beams DO work although the headlights don't- did your high beams work? Just curious :confuse:
  • paul79ufpaul79uf Member Posts: 5
    If I were you, I'd shoot a video clip of the car every time you start it up in the morning so you can show them when it happens.

Good luck. :)
  • paul79ufpaul79uf Member Posts: 5
    I know what he means. I went to replace a headlight bulb and noticed that the turn signal bulb was all the way at the corner almost out of reach.

If you have small hands, you could probably reach in and rotate the base of the turn signal bulb socket 1/4 turn counter clockwise to remove it.

Here are some pictures that should help - Santa Fe Headlight Bulbs Replacement

The owner's manual says to "just" remove the 10mm bolts on top and pull out the assembly. That didn't work. I was able to replace the headlight bulbs from the rear but the turn signal bulb is tricky without pulling the assembly out.
  • hyundaisantefehyundaisantefe Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if there is a easy way to convert a 2003 sante fe to day time running lights without purchasing a drl kit?