Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    First of all, thanks to everybody for their opinion, this is one of the nicest board on Edmunds!

Anyway, here is my reasoning on buying an SUV.
    - I don't need one/ can't afford one until late this year (probably Nov-Dec time frame)
    - I want an SUV for the high seating position, to not have to put on chains going to Tahoe, and for the room (useful when remodeling my house).
    - Wife definitely wants a 7 passenger vehicle (2 of us, one kid, one on the way, and grand parents/family once in a while). Basically, the third row would not be used much, but would come in very handy when needed.
    - I hate minivans (not rational, but heck, it's my money).
    - I want full independent suspensions, some type of AWD for the comfort/handling/safety in everyday conditions.
    - a automatic 5 speed is a nice bonus when driving up hill

Based on those needs, the current crop of possible SUVs is:
    - Honda Pilot, so far on top of my list, but afraid of the potential in dealer gouging, especially in SF bay area.
    - ML 320 and Acura MDX, but getting out my price range
    - Ford Explorer, but so so reviews and bad reputation make me want to stay away from it.
    - VW Touareg, not a 7 passenger apparently, and I have a VW Golf, my first and my LAST VW.
    - Envoy XL: looks too big and weird, no IRS, reliability issues.
    - 4Runner 03: not sure about 3 row seats, no IRS

Anyway, I think it's back to the Pilot, and maybe waiting out the rush on it.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Have you driven or considered the AWD highlander? They're fairly roomy & in the same price range.
    The highlander is nice, but it does not have the 3rd row seat, otherwise, it'd definitely be a contender in my list.
    Are you putting kids in the 3rd row. I don't think very many models are even close to being comfortable for adults unless you have an Excursion or similar cruise ship.

How about a used Sequoia?
    You can get a 2 year old used Discovery ll betwween 25k & 28k. They are roomy inside & ride very nice but they don't have independant suspension & a little heavy on gas consumption.

I hear there may also be a full size Nissan SUV coming out possibly next year.
    Toddlers will go in the 3rd row.

Land Rover is not my cup of tea (reliability, comfort, etc.). The Sequoia would be more of a fall back SUV, as it is more of a truck and less of car (I know it's heresy to a lot of ppl...), and a bit higher on the price scale. However, it is something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. Did not mean to hog the board like that. Hopefully, it is useful to others too.
    It's still amazing to me with all of the choices out there, it can still be a tough decision. I haven't decided on anything yet either.

3rd row would be perfect for young ones.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    After contemplating the previous remarks, I will speak from my experiences. I searched high and low for an SUV back in 1995 and came up with the same remark every time "I don't want someone else's headache" therefore, I bought Toyota, specifically, a 1995 SR5 4WD. I traded that in for a 1999 Toyota 4-Runner (SR5), I have currently 96,000 trouble free miles. It's a shame to purchase a $30,000+ SUV and have reliability issues. I searched Consumer Reports/Edmunds/etc... and the point being, don't even consider the vehicles that have been having moderate reliability issues, ie: Jeep Grand Cherokee, Durango, Explorer....That's it in a nutshell...Listen to the folks out there who have had trannys replaced at 30,000, interior integrity problems, and the dealerships that are failing to help you, the customer. I'm sure Toyota has a few issues here and there,but, not the magnitude that these domestics due??
  • davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    I too am cross shopping the 4Runner and others to the Pilot in the Bay Area (where gouging is rampant)...although I have the same 3rd row requirement (for occasionally throwing the two young ones in back, house remodeling and Tahoe)...anyway I have found a couple dealers 2-3 hours from my house that are straight MSRP...shoot me an email if you want.
    I would certainly have to agree with you. I've had 2 toyota 4WD vehicles with over 100k miles & no problems. One interesting thing though, I think the interior plastics are starting to get a little funky though. But most of the vehicles seem to be going that route.
  • davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    I too am cross shopping the 4Runner and others to the Pilot in the Bay Area (where gouging is rampant)...although I have the same 3rd row requirement (for occasionally throwing the two young ones in back, house remodeling and Tahoe)...anyway I have found a couple dealers 2-3 hours from my house that are straight MSRP...shoot me an email if you want.
    I have to agree, the interior in my 1995 seems less plasticy than my current 1999. But, nothing has broke, come loose or is making any noise,so, it must be working ok. I too am contemplating trading in my 1999 for a 2003 (only if a V-8 is an option),if not, I am pretty happy. I have been looking at the pictures that have been posted on how the 2003 might look. I think the back is ugly...Reminds me of a trailblazer, aghhhhh
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Why don't you give the new Explorer and Expedition a chance? The Explorer has only been out a short time, and, heck, the Expedition isn't even out yet—and you're jumping all over it!

Sorry, I don't buy your argument about IRS as not being able to tow...

And... to add further fuel to the fire, the next F-150 pickup is rumored to have IRS. Ford apparently has a lot of confidence that IRS can handle tough jobs.

Bob
    I personnally think that IRS is the only way to go, and if it's well built it should be as strong as a live axle for almost any application. Furthermore, it works better on and off road.

I believe that the reason that we've been having live axle trucks for all those years is simple: profits. Live axle is a technology that dates back to the very first cars, therefore it's super cheap to make. BTW, I believe that the first SUV with IRS was the ML 320. Basically, if it weren't for imports, all domestic SUV would still be sporting live axles front and rear.

My $0.02
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    While I agree you can get a better ride with independent suspension in most cases (it's hard to beat the Envoy, Yukon, and siblings), the argument for strength over a live axle is not really a good one. The physics behind both systems make a live axle naturally stronger, so it hasn't been a conspiracy amongst car manufacturers. In fact most die-hard SUV and truck owners who use their vehicles for off-roading and towing, have made such a stink over IFS/IRS for years that manufacturers have shied away from it for fear of losing that market. It wasn't until the event of cross-overs when it became easier for them to slowly get it into the market. Even Jeep talked about beefing up the components on the Liberty to be able to handle the rigors of off-roading and towing like a live axle would. Cherokee owners were out-raged, but I think it was a smart choice for DC, because they still gave it plenty of travel, and freedom to add a lift.
    Currently, a live rear axle set-up still rules the towing/load contest. As far as the Explorer, it's tow rating is only 5500 lbs compared to the Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada's at 6200 lbs. I don't know what the tow ratings are, but the new Expedition's load capacity is 1486 lbs. vs 1767 lbs. for the Yukon.
    This will change with time and technology, and I hope it happens soon, because it is a superior ride, but for now , it's not true that it's a better way to go for strength.
  • cfeldmancfeldman Member Posts: 14
    Drove the 4 runner again today. I think $27,313.00 is pretty fair for the SR5 with sport package,roof rack and hood deflector.
    The only thing I think I may miss is the AWD of the Subaru Forester I am driving. It sure does do well in the rain. Any comments?
    The Hummer has 4 wheel independent suspension. Granted it's a beefy vehicle, the military doesn't seem to have any problems towing & loading equipment in them.

Most SCORE & desert racing trucks have it as well. They're certainly strong enough & obtain excellent wheel travel.
    Mrwhipple, I completely understand what you're saying, but you're not comparing apples to apples. Of course there are vehicles that prove how sturdy 4WIS CAN be, and that's what I mean by changing with time. For the same reason auto manufacturers sponsor race car teams that test engine and suspension technology, they also learn to improve products through desert racing, the most practical of which eventually find their way into production vehicles. Those vehicles are the extreme and use heavy-duty components for the abuse they're made for, but you can't go to your local dealership and order a new Honda Pilot, or even a Jeep Liberty with the kind of hardware any of those you mention have. I may be wrong, but I think we're talking about production vehicles for a reasonable price, right? Yeah, the H1 has 4WIS, but they're really beefy components that were even too impractical for the new H2, which still has a live rear axle. GM decided not to compromise towing and off-roading for IRS that couldn't be as sturdy as the system used on the H1, because of the added weight and space needed. They said that they could have used an IRS system they developed for the Concept H2, but it was too expensive to produce, pushing the asking price closer to the H1.

Again, I'm right with you on the benefits of independent suspensions, but let's stick to the discussion of production vehicles. Because I could go slap all kinds of after-market components on anything and say it's better than something else. I would prefer everyone move to 4WIS, if they're made to stand up to what current solid rear axles can do. I think that day is just around the corner, but until then, there are SUVs out there that have an IFS, but solid rear axle, that have just as nice of a ride or better than others in their class. I think the new 4Runner with it's solid rear axle will be one of those class-leaders.

Please don't think I'm part of the group of fanatics who live and die by SRA, I'm not at all. I'm merely trying to help people make an educated decision about an expensive purchase, by not ruling vehicles out solely on the fact they don't have 4WIS. They should test drive everything that falls into their price range and has the basic features they require. The drive will let them know the facts about how good the suspension rides, not the perception. I have driven the Trailblazer with coils in the rear and the Envoy with the air bladders in the rear, and the Explorer with IRS, and was sure I'd prefer the Explorer, but I didn't. The Envoy has an amazing ride, although I'd prefer it have a little less roll. That's my opinion of my driving experience. I think everyone should do the same before they spend their hard-earned $.
    I agree that a person should look into everything in their price-range & criteria. You just never know until you try something. It just might surprise you.

Solid axles - I love 'em. Have had 2 Toyota 4WD's. Great machines & trouble free.

My description above wasn't a straight comparison. Just merely pointing out the fact that the technology is there wether it be for commercial use or custom. It's nothing new. It only takes one manufacturer to start it until they all jump in. Look what happened to SUV's in general. They've been around a while.

I just don't think anyone would really have a problem towing with an IRS system. They are pretty solid if built right.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Anyone plan on driving the new Pilot? Honda will have units in stores next week, it may be worth a spin when looking to lay down 30k+.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I think there is a big difference in storage between a Subaru Forester and a 4Runner. 32 cubic feet vs. 44.5 cubic feet in the trunk. I also have something called a "Hitch Packer" and it is basically a 20" by 60" platform that is attached to the trailer hitch. On some camping trips I use the "Hitch Packer" to carry more stuff.
    This is my first SUV and I was concerned about driving in the rain. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it handles. I thought with such big tires it would hydroplane, but it just plows through huge puddles. It is very hard to get into a skid and I feel it is the safest car I have for the rain.
    I think the price you quoted for the SR5 4Runner is very good. Changing a new car for another new car, you will take a financial hit, still it is not real bad.
    My biggest concern for you is the ride on the 4Runner. When I bought mine, after a few days I thought I made a mistake. Now I love it, still the ride can be stiff and a bit bouncey.
    --------------------------------
    (A side note: I got a flat yesterday, a nail in the tire. Changing a tire on the 4Runner is a LOT different than on my small Honda and Acura. After I got the spare out, it is amazing how much room is under the car. If you get the 4Runner, I would assume that changing the tire would be different that the Forester.)
  • danielldaniell Member Posts: 128
    Yep, that's true. But with seats folded the difference int terms of "percent more room" goes down (79.8 cu.ft. 4Runner, 63.1 Forester, 68.6 Legacy). Also, the Forester wins, compared to the 4Runner, in the following:

front legroom by .4"
    front headroom by .9" (significant)
    rear headroom by .9" (significant)
    front hiproom by 1.6" (significant)
    passenger volume (by 7 cu.ft.)

When you compare 4Runner and Legacy, the Legacy wins virtually everything, except rear legroom (Legacy loses by .6") and cargo room (Legacy loses by 10.3 cu.ft. with seats up, 11.2 with seats folded - and this is very significant indeed).

All numbers from carsdirect.com

I am in no way bashing the 4Runner, it's a great truck, and I am seriously thiking about buying the 2003 MY, but if you also need passenger room, in addition to cargo room, moving from Forester to 4Runner will actually set you back a bit. If you only need cargo room, the current 4Runner is a no-brainer.
    The '03 will be a little longer and wider, so the interior room should increase significantly.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    A question was brought up about buying an '02 versus waiting for the '03. Current rumor is that the '03 will be the same or a bit less than the current model. I have a few words of caution here. First, we really don't know what that statement means. It probably means that the MSRP of a typically equipped '02 will be the same as a similarly equipped '03. Similar equipment means a V6, but that engine will not be available in the first few months.

Next, you have to consider what they will actually sell for. Right now, an SR5 with a $34K sticker has roughly a $30K invoice. Most dealers will sell them pretty close to invoice and give you the $1500 rebate to boot. This places the transaction cost at $28500. If the '03 with a V8 has a sticker of $34K, it will not matter what the invoice is because you wont be able to get close to it for months (maybe even years). Some dealers may even mark them up. This means that while the sticker price will be the same, your transaction cost will be $5500 higher for the '03.

Just a thought.
    Mrwhipple nails it again! Everyone contemplating a new SUV should, if you can, wait until all the new models come out at the end of this summer, especially the new 4Runner. It will be longer, wider, and taller by about 2 to 5 inches in each direction. I think the next generation 4Runner is going to be the most significant new model for 2003, probably winning all the off-road magazine 4x4 of the year awards (unless price isn't a factor, allowing the H2 to win), as well as the coveted Motor Trend SUV of the year award, which does take price into consideration.

Again, while the current 4Runner is a great truck, with engine and interior short-comings, I would really encourage people to wait for the new model, especially since Toyota says they're keeping the price about the same, and lowering it for some model packages.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Thanks, Cliffy. Been busy, and it's getting busier :-(

tbcreative, as Cliffy said, I saw a video of the new 4Runner (and Matrix and new Sienna). We (employees) aren't allowed any photos, and I saw the video in either January or February, so it's starting to get a little fuzzy. But my impressions are still clear, and I disagree that the pics of the Prado are the new 4Runner. I very distinctly remember that the bar between the second door and rear window slanted forward, just like the '02 model, and not vertical like the new GX470 or Prado. The front headlights looked very similar to the Sequoia's along with its hood. But the grill looked like the '02 4Runner. I was with 2 other people, and we all agreed that if you saw this SUV coming at you down the road, there would be no mistaking it for anything but a 4Runner.

The video was designed for a presentation, so there was no sound. The presenter (in this case an EVP for Toyota Motor Sales) was to provide the information. He spoke mostly about the interior being "sportscar like" and a large improvement over the '02 model. From the video, I agree with him. He said it will have a new 4WD with downhill braking assist.

No 3rd seat was shown, and they didn't open the rear gate or window. The video started at the grill, zoomed back, then went down the left side and to the rear. It then went into the interior and showed the clustered IP, seats, and restyled doors.

I've checked with a port on the West coast, and they confirm an August delivery for dealers (no sales) and then general availability in September.

Believe me, I'm just as anxious as anyone. My last new vehicle was in '89 (which I still drive every day) and I'm more than ready. What I saw in the video is closer to the '02 in styling, and in my opinion, much nicer looking than the Prado; not as harsh looking, more stylish. I want the larger engine (6 or 8) and I would have liked the 3rd seat, even if it held only 2 people.

We're only a few months away. Hang in there!
    Thanks, rward99 for the update! I can't wait to find out more.

I just want to be sure I'm understanding you. In the pictures I posted I said that the only ones representing the new platform were the GX 470, the Prado illustration (not the old Prado pics), and the 2 black-out covered spy shots. My understanding is the 2 spy shots are the 4Runner. Is that not true? Are they actually the Prado? Because the split grill looks more like a 4Runner, and different from the grill on the Prado illustration. Also the "B" pillar bar slants back in the spy shots, like you describe. I know you're busy, and so am I, but I'm going nuts in anticipation! Just want to get it all straight... Thanks.
    I read the post about the Forester being larger in fitting people so I compared one measurement, which happened to be rear leg room. 4Runner wins by 1 1/2 inches. It seems to me your picking numbers to try to justify the purchase of the Forester. I was trying to give both pros and cons of going to a 4Ruuner.

I think what one needs to do, is go to a dealership to see how the car fits you personally. I am 6'4" and I don't even talk about the car until I have tried it on for size. If you don't feel comfortable, don't buy it.
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    The '01 and newer 4runners have AWD, which is to say a system with a center differential that can divert power to where it's needed. You can run the newer 4runners in AWD all the time if you want but then you can also use them in 4wd (locked center diff) high or low. So, you have the drive system advantages of the Subie and then some. PS: Of course the 1999 and 2000 limiteds were also available with an AWD option.

Sean
    Well, my only point was that the 4Runner does not come that far ahead vs. Subaru in terms of interior room. Changing a relatively new car (truck) is usually a rather costly enterprise. So, is it worth doing it, if it does not give you the much bigger interior room you are looking for?

The 4Runner is clearly safer, being bigger/heavier, better for towing etc. etc. As I said, I am not bashing it, actually I think it is a high quality, solid truck. And I am looking forward to the new 2003 4Runner with the bigger engine, more room, and full-time 4WD (which I think is superior to Honda's AWD for example)... Is it worth though to take a somewhat big financial hit, and change your 2002 Forester, with the 2002 4Runner, if your main criteria is more room? My answer would be no, but that's just my opinion :)

BTW, I am only 5'7", and my wife is 5'3". When she drives the Forester, even an NBA player would fit in the back :). I appologize if my post seemed offensive or inflamatory, that was definitely not my intention.
    I read the last few months' worth of posts, but I probably missed the weight thing... Anybody knows it?
    Preliminary estimates have the weight at a little less than 4600 lbs. The GX 470 weighs in at 4600, so the 4Runner should be slightly less, without the 3rd row seats and possibly less cladding. Of course, it could weigh the same if Toyota does offer the Limited with identical components, but current rumors state no 3rd row seats, at least for the beginning of the production run.

For more stats of what may describe the '03 4Runner, go to http://www.suv.com and read the GX 470 article.

Does anyone know if the new V6 they're putting in is the same one from the RX300, ES300 & Highlander? It would seem logical.
    It's the weekend! (thankfully) I was out last week on vacation, so this week I had to play catch-up. I have a big project that just started, so the light I saw wasn't the end of the tunnel, it was an on-coming train ;-)

I've seen a lot of shots of the Prado, and it just doesn't look like the 4Runner I saw in the video. Maybe, just a little, around the grill, but if you go look at the '02 grill, that would give you a pretty good idea of the '03. Look at the slant of the rear window post too. The GX470 has a slight slant, but the 4Runner's is more pronounced.

The spy shots, especially the black one in the snow, *may* have been one, but if you zoom in with some graphics software you can see the cover ups they use to disguise the car. (They're made of the same material as the "bras" that you've seen on some cars.) With the cover ups and bad lighting, it's difficult to tell. Recently I saw two new Cadillac SUVs (Escalades?) on the interstate and the only things that weren't covered up were the windows and lights. But they were flanked front and back by new CTS vehicles, and being the right size I assumed they were the Escalade. Manufacturers keep these vehicles pretty well disguised. (When the new Camry was being developed we saw blue cars with red and green doors, added chrome, phony windows, and lots of cover up material. Even if you saw it you still wouldn't know what the final product looked like.)

When you compare the GX470 to the new 4Runner I think you'll find that they share some major components, like the engine and tranny. But Lexus models will always have more (and better quality) goodies, sound proofing, carpeting, options etc. The GX470 is sporting the 3rd seat, but it also has the side opening rear door instead of the standard tailgate. The GX470 will cost a lot more too.

A while back I think one of the Toyota salesmen in here (not Cliffy) posted a pretty comprehensive list of items. Those guys will have statistics long before I do. When Cliffy publishes, you can go to the bank on it. He's bonafide! :-)

But my take on the video (as well as the other guys in the room) all felt that there just wasn't that dramatic a change to the exterior. At least not for styling, but the size was to increase. Now the interior is dramatically changed, and that's what interests me, cause that's where I sit.

But hey, 10 weeks and you can go to your local dealership and drool. You'll have to wait for September anyway, even after you see it, before you can buy it, and don't expect any deal during that time. I have to wait until the start of '03 anyway, so I'm content to kick back and wait. I've got enough information to convince me to wait for the nice interior and improved V6.
    02 Highlander engine is 3 liter 220 HP
    02 ES300 engine is 3 liter 210 HP
    02 RX300 engine is 3 liter 220 HP

Cliffy says the new V6 on the 4runner is 4 liter (maybe 3.8) (post 1583)
    Steveb84 (post 1591) says these are the new engines for the 4Runner:
    V6 - 245 hp & 283 ft/lbs torque
    V8 - 232 hp & 320 ft/lbs torque
    Thanks, rward99! I appreciate your update. I can't do anything until January either, but I can't help obsessing over this, because I'm relatively sure the '03 4Runner will be my next vehicle. It's just a little bit of order an obsessive-compulsive freak like myself needs to have in this crazy world! Can't wait until September to drive one...
  • tokyomach4tokyomach4 Member Posts: 10
    I'm 1 month in owning my 2002 All Black sr5 4wd w/sport edition and I'm loving it. I could not wait for the 03's as I just moved back to the states and needed wheels asap. The price was great. I for am not concerned if the 03 is bigger, faster, longer, wider, better, cheaper, or whatever. I'm loven this 02. You will not see deals on the 03's, on a vehicle you want, for at least 2 years down the road. I got exactly what I wanted at a price I can live with.

When I have 150,000 miles on this puppy I'll trade it in for a 2009 4 runner that alot of you guys/girls will be saying is out dated because the new 2010 is just around the corner. Please this truck still rocks. I sit at a traffic light next to an "all new" Ford Explorer and wonder what that individual was thinking.

I will say this though, when the new 4 runners come out, if anyone out there driving one, pulls up next to an all black 2002 and you can't believe the guy in the drivers seat doesn't even acknowledge your existence, it might be me thinking, boy that's a pretty truck, wonder what I can get on a trade in.

Drive responsible.
    Chris
    I can get the 2002 4 runner with sport package, sun roof, hood deflector and roof rack for $29,000(less $1,300 toyota discount), or $30,000 for the same truck with aftermarket leather(less $1,300 discount)
    Any feedback on this price would help
    Thank you
    Are these aside from aestetics, mainly for stepping up and would you say they hinder the truck in snow due to ground clearance reduction?
    Are they worth the extra $450.00?
    Thanks
    "cfeldman" you have got the bug bad. "daniell" is right, you will be taking a hit trading in a 2002 Forester for a 2002 4Runner. (For the record, I don't think "daniell's" post was offensive or inflammatory, I just gave a slightly different opinion. I hope "daniell" will still contribute to this board.)
    Now for the Running Boards. Some people who buy 4Runners decide to take off the Running Boards because of the limited ground clearance. They go rock hopping and then bend the boards. Here are the negatives of Running Boards:
    1.) Limited ground clearance.
    2.) Some people feel they don't drain properly, you get your pant legs wet in the rain.
    3.) Snow and mud get stuck on the boards.
    4.) Some people think the truck is prettier and more aggressive looking without the Boards.

Having said all that, I have Running Boards. I got them after I bought the truck. My wife and my 11 year old son are about the same height, and really need Running Boards. And yes I think they look nice.
    Bottom line is, you can always put some Running Boards on or take them off, if you should ever change your mind. Some people even change the Running Boards to a after market type, because they like the change. Cheaper than trading in your car. :)
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I am positive that the new Runner V6 will not be the same as the Highlander/RX300. That engine is set up for transverse mounting and is only a 3.0 liter.
    I personally like the tubular step bar that's optional on the 4Runner Sport Edition, like Chris's (Tokyomack4) black beauty. They may not help much with ground clearance, but they stand up better to abuse, look sharper, and drain water better. There are after-market nerf bars from manufacturers like Manik, that hug the rocker panel closer, giving you better clearance and some protection to your rocker, while providing a step. Just a thought.
  • jafo2001jafo2001 Member Posts: 98
    Well, I took the 2002 for a long test drive. I just couldn't see myself in it. It's way past it's freshness date.

1) Very cramped cabin, especially in terms of headroom.
    2) Underpowered both compared to its competition and in terms of general city traffic.
    3) Dated, "1990's Corolla" interior, especially if you don't get the Limited model.

All that for $40k Canadian? Doesn't make sense.
    I have noticed that when people give their opinions of the 4Runner there is no middle ground. Either they love it and give it a 8 to 10 out of 10 or they hate it and give a 1 to 2 out of 10. After owning a 4Runner for over 20,000 miles I can say I love it. I think people need to know the type of SUV it is and know before they buy.

It is kind of nice to know that some vehicles that are built are not for the middle of the road. And this is difintely not a middle of the road vehicle.

I agree with everything "jafo2001" said about the vehicle. I also think it has one of the best engine, transmission, drive trains I have ever driven. It has a large available weight to carry and to tow. It is very quiet and well manured on smooth roads. It is of top quality and is built to last. Sitting up high is quite nice to drive in traffic and I absolutely love to drive the "undeveloped roads" were there is no traffic.

I guess you need to know what you want. I have seen people on this board say they just bought the 4Runner and want to get rid of it. At least "jafo200" understood this before he bought. Love it or hate it, it is a 4Runner.

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Overview/Toyota/4Runner/new.asp

Please click on this site and then click on "Consumer Ratings and Reviews" at the bottom of the page and you will see a lot of low scores and a lot of high scores. No middle ground.

Thanks rward99 & cliffy for the info on the new V6. Appreciate it.
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    While going through some of the earlier posts in May, I noticed that some had questions
    regarding the TRD supercharger. I had one installed almost exactly a year ago and I have
    never been sorry. Although it is still not what I would call a "tire smoker", the power has
    been improved significantly with no penalty in gas consumption or cruising noise. It cost me
    about CDN $4100.00 installed + tax which equates to about $2665.00 US. I had it installed
    on a 1996 4-Runner Ltd 4x4 which had about 62,000 km (38,500 miles) and have put on nearly
    20,000 km since then. On a trip to the Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde in September, I averaged about 25mpg Imp or 21mpg US on the trip. The only noticible noise is the whine
    from the supercharger when you accelerate, but at normal highway cruising speeds you hear only normal wind noice. Other than the SC, a K&N filter, and Bilstein shocks, the vehicle is
    completely stock (although I have tried a Borla exhaust system and K & N filtercharger system
    at different times in the past). I found the Borla cat-back system too noisy (it "droned") at normal cruising speeds and did not notice any significant performance improvements with either the Borla or K & N filtercharger. I have considered headers but I do not see that a 9 or 10 horsepower increase would justify either the cost or the additional noise. The only ongoing cost factor is the premium gas that you have to buy (I try to use 94 octane).
    In summary, I would say that there is a significant increase in power with the TRD SCer, but
    don't expect to take out any Vettes or 5 liter Mustangs at the stop lights.
    Here's the latest from an inside source with Toyota that was posted at another forum:

Originally posted by HorsesMouth:
    I thought you might want to hear this straight from the Horse's Mouth.

As an insider, I'm not going to divulge too much information, especially with 2002 4Runners still sitting on dealer lots ready to be sold, and I'd hate to jeopardize company sales figures, by letting too much slip out and have people wait to buy a 4Runner, but...

1) Yes, the 4Runner will have both optional V6 and V8 engines. Interestingly, the V6 will have slightly more horsepower than the V8. (The V8 or course will have more torque).
    2) Third row seat will not be available. After much debate back and forth, this option is sitting out. Why you ask? Because of the design, much desired completely folding flat third-row seats cannot be put into the vehicle. The Lexus GX470 will, however, have the third row folding seats similar to the Land Cruiser (come on, we had to differentiate them somehow!)
    3) Price will be slightly increased over current 4Runner (nothing drastic, but this SUV is stepping up its brand positioning)
    4) The optional JBL audio system is going to be a real class leader in this SUV segment. Also, expect a video entertainment system (with wireless headsets) from the GX470 to filter into the 4Runner
    4) Finally, the spy pictures and new Toyota Prado pictures are a good idea on the look of the vehicle. Envision different headlights (similar to Sequoia), different taillights, and more body cladding on the sides (SR5)
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    about the interior leg room (driver side) in the new 4 runner. I'm 6'6" and I have a 37-38 inch inseam which translates to very long legs. I'm hoping that toyota has considered giving extra room in the front. Even the Landcruiser is not comfortable.

Also does anyone know about the price range for the different models.
  • sleepysteve1sleepysteve1 Member Posts: 7
    Wondering what people are using as replacement
    tires. Yokohama Geolandar A/T plus II have
    decent survey results at Tirerack.com
    I have the 265/70/16 Goodyear Wranglers on the
    truck now and even though they lasted to 58k
    would like to change.
    Any input would be appreciated
    thanks
    I have a 99 4-Runner and have replaced with like type OEM tires. If you want a smooth ride, then stick with the all-season m/s rated,if you don't care about the ride/handling, then I would get something like a mud-terrain. I have ran the Bridgestone and Goodyears personally. I am on my third set.