Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Tiguan Lease Questions

Comments

• toddh3toddh3 Member Posts: 16
    Car_Man

I went to a south NJ dealer and they told me while the MF is .00133 the residuals are now 44%. With $1500 down for an MSRP of 28,875 the sales price would be $26,300 including the $1k VW incentive. He then came up with a price of $453 per month. Did the residual go down that much and isn't that monthly quote riduculous? Any dealerships out there who negotiate in good faith.
  • lucky7lvlucky7lv Member Posts: 1
    You can join other members at tiguan nation.com for free. its a tiguan only forum site. i thought it was cool. thanks for that link buddy.
  • jseinfeldjseinfeld Member Posts: 18
    Car_Man:

I recommend you set a comfortable price for yourself that you would be willing to pay, subtract $10/month off of it, and tell the dealer that that is what you were offered and what you're willing to pay. If they want your business they'll come back with a reasonable counteroffer, hopefully within the range of what you're comfortable with anyway. That's what I did and got a decent deal from the first place I walked into. You decide how much you want to pay, and let them figure out how to price it with the money factor, residual, etc. Count your money, don't count theirs.
    Your advice is sound but my problem right now is twofold a) am I being realistic to begin with ($400 to $410 mos with $1500 down for 3 yrs at 15k) and b) the dealerships I have been going to (5 and counting in South NJ) have been non-negotiable period. No give back, nothing.

I just read in the WSJ that on average, VW has 115 days worth of inventory on hand so you would think they want their product moved..no dice for me..I am so disappointed b/c I have only until 5/31 to pick up a new car...
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, I am very surprised that VW is not offering better deals. Last year this time, they were offering so much better deals. The economy is even worse now and they have stricter numbers now. They are not bad, but certainly like last year this time.

For example, I could have leased a Passat Komfort for cheaper than the Jetta. The Tiguan was leasing at a better deal then too. Not less than the Jetta, but was decent.

They really to offer some deals. Get the deals going, get the cars moving.
    Now is not a time to hold back!

In fact my dealer wants to sell me a new car, however, I still need to transfer my current lease first.
    toddh3: Well, I got my SE w/ 4-Motion for $395 with $1200 down, including all taxes, DMV fees, etc. (but I have only 10k). I wouldn't even bother stopping by most of the places. Just call and see which one gives you the best offer. I got mine from Freehold VW, if you're interested. I wouldn't recommend them outright because of a couple of minor issues, but overall they were OK.
    Appreciate all of your comments. Since the MF and Residuals are hard nos that the dealer can't touch, the only part of the sale they have any control over is the actual capitalized sale price. Also, I wonder if the lease nos I am receiving are based upon the MSRP as opposed to the sale price when they compute the monthly figures.

Bottom Line: I have no idea how these VW dealerships stay in business b/c they refuse to move cars...Also, I can't justify to myself paying $450 a month for a VW that I could pay a little more for an Audi A4.
    Is it true they will offer leather on the SE model. I am thinking of getting one. But, they look a little expensive now too lease.

Possible to be closer to $400, $0 down. on an SE with a sunroof.
  • nickednicked Member Posts: 2
    Dealers in NY all have SE with leather, both FWD and AWD about $1K more than normal SE. But the residue and MF is far from ideal on Tiguan, and compare to this month's Audi aggressive leasing program I have to say Tiguan's number looks almost bad when you can lease an 2009 Audi A4 advant(even base model has leather/big sunroof/Quattro AWD) with less money down with similar monthly payment.
    Is it worth extending my current lease another month and hope that the MF and Residuals get better on the Tiguan or just don't bother and lease something else? Does anybody know when the 2010 model debuts?
    I would love to test drive a Tiguan, I might do that soon. As I am currently in the process of transferring my lease to someone else. Then, I thought of getting the Tiguan. Looks like it would drive like a car. But, I would have to get the leather, and a moonroof!! A Must!
    Does anyone know when they are offering leather on the SE?

Do you think I am able to get a lease for under $400 a month $0 down?
    To Answer your question, no way no how. Here is the latest resposne I just received through Edmonds.

Hi Todd!

Tiguan SE with the Panorama Sunroof and the 15K miles Per Year 36 Months Lease is:$ 459.73 Including Tax total.That is the Best number and there is no room to give you any less than that.Thank you

And that no. includes $1500 down. If you only need 10k per year maybe you can get something closer to $420 w/leather.

The lowest offer I got was $445 but for those nos I am better off with an Audi A4.
  • bestdeal42bestdeal42 Member Posts: 9
    car_man

I got a quote for a 36mth/12k lease on a Tiguan S automatic with. MSRP $25,050. for 352+tax. monthly , Net cap = $22573 (includes $575 Acq fee)
    lic and doc fee extra ($812.00).
    Money factor is 0.00133 and Residual is 46% !

Is this a good deal in Northern California?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi dmannj. The easiest way for me to tell how good a deal you are getting on this truck is for me to take a look at its selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Let me know what this number is and I will be happy to tell you what I think of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I'd be happy to work up a sample lease payment for you, phollie. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL that has an MSRP of $36,000 and a selling price of $34,500 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $538.

I suspect that you will be able to negotiate a lower selling price than $34,500 on this car. After then $1,000 cash incentive that is available on leases of it is taken into account, you're only getting a $500 dealer discount.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bestdeal42. Let's take a look at the deal that you were offered. It appears as though you are interested in a base Tiguan S 2WD with an automatic transmission and no other options. The dealer invoice price of that vehicle is $23,301. That drops to $22,301 after then $1,000 cash incentive that is available on this model is taken into account. Considering the fact that the price that you mentioned includes the acquisition fee for your lease, I'd say that this is a very good offer.

Car_man
    Host
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Hello Car_man. Where are you seeing the $1K incentive on this vehicle? I do not see this on the incentives page here.
    car_man
    I guess I waited too long thinking prices will be better in July, instead for a 12K miles 36 month lease on a Tiguan S the residual dropped from 46% to 45% and the money factor increased from 0.00133 to 0.00173 :(

So this is the best deal I could get

Tiguan S with 17" Alloys and Bluetooth
    MSRP: $25775
    Purchase Price: $22175
    Acq fee: $575
    Capitalized cost: $22750
    MF: 0.00173
    Residual: $11598.75 (45%)
    Monthly: $369.18+tax

I am debating whether or not to take advantage of the VW offer of reducing the MF by leaving a security deposit. For each $400 put down as security the MF reduces by 0.00008 (max $4000). I figured if I use the max $4000 the money factor would drop to 0.00093 I would save $1000 on finance charges over 3 years. Not bad return for $4K investment.

What are the risks associated with leaving a huge security deposit?

Thanks
    Hi mvs1. I'm an independent contractor who is not involved with updating the Edmunds.com incentives page so I'm not sure why the data there on VW incentives is incomplete. I am positive that Volkswagen is providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of the 2009 Tiguan through VW Credit right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bestdeal42. Multiple security deposits are a much better way to lower your lease payment than making a down payment aka capitalized cost reduction. The only risk that I would be worried about with MSDs is whether you get them back if your vehicle is totaled. It wouldn't hurt to check with VW Credit on this subject before pulling the trigger on a deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man

I contacted VW credit and they said in the event of the vehicle being totaled the only way I would loose my security deposit is if the insurance company did not cover the whole loss. I have added GAP insurance for a few dollars more to my policy to make sure that does not happen.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the deal and I love my new Tiguan, absolutely no buyers remorse, it is a great car. :)

Thanks for your help.

bestdeal42
  • solbrosolbro Member Posts: 2
    I'm in a pickle. The lease on my Benz E350 is up. LOVE the car but way too expensive in this day and age. I looked at the Escape Hybrid (ok), Hyandai Sonata (ok) and the VW Tiguan -- which I really liked. The deal had a 2009 SEL (leather a biggie for me) w/ 1500 miles on it. The MSRP is 29K-plus. He said '28K is more likely.' I've always leased, maybe I should buy. I NEVER put money down. I have never dealt w/ VW before. What's the best way to approach this? Car negotiation is not my strength. Thanks to anyone who replies.
  • solbrosolbro Member Posts: 2
    I found a 2009 SE w/ sunroof. They want 3K down at $405 a month (price of car is 28,495.00. Sounds like waaay too much on the money down for a lease. Yea or nay?
    @solbro: Nay, I think. I got an SEL 4-matic for $395/month and $500 down (including $175 DMV fees). That was in April, however. MF and residuals may have changed in the meantime.
    Thanks for the info, bestdeal42. Congratulations on getting your new Tiguan. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
  • iameuroiameuro Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,

This little unique SUV caught my eye and I was interested in finding out some information in regards to lease prices.

I was in a dealership the other day and for a base model, AWD, whithout any details or paperwork the salerperson quoted me a price of around $430/month.

I do not know for how many months / what kind of miles, what kind of price he used, etc. (I am guilty of not asking).

However I did not expect the price to be so high. I was looking for something around $300 - $350 for a Type S.. so the price was a bit shocking...

If anyone has any latest MF or prices they've paid for or any latest info on Volks' lease specials.. I would appreciate any info...

:confuse:
  • rbarr24rbarr24 Member Posts: 1
    Hopped into a local VW dealership over the weekend to check out the lease deals on the Tiguan.

The money factor for a SE 4Motion 36/12K without panoramic roof was at .00195 and they were trying to get a total cost after tax of $499 a month. Inceptions were about $1200, although I didn't even bother negotiating.

The MSRP was somewhere just north of $30 and the price of the car was $28,800.

For that price, I just don't think it's even close to worth it. I look at the car and think it's worth about $400-$420 a month all in, but that's just me.
  • iameuroiameuro Member Posts: 9
    Hello again, thanks for the info posted above.

I am waiting out a deal to come across for this car. As of today, there is a special lease offer posted on the VW's website:

Lease a 2009 Tiguan S for $329.00*/Month. 36-month lease. $3,299.00 due at signing. (Excludes title, tax, options and dealer fees.)

I am looking to get the SE 4Motion model with sunroof and navi. Does anyone know if I can find a better deal, compared to the one which is advertised? Something like $400.00 all into payment ?
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    Car_Man ... do you know what the current money factors are on the Tiguan's?

I'm wanting the below:

SEL
    Navigation
    Sunroof
    Rearside Airbags
    Bluetooth

I'm going to shoot for a 2 year lease with 10,000 miles, but don't know if that's possible.

According to Consumer Reports (I haven't checked here yet) MSRP is $36k and invoice is $33k with a $620 holdback. I currently have quote requests out, and got a quote back in July, but wasn't able to act on it at the time. I know I have good credit, but that doesn't mean much these days. :)

Thanks!! You might see me asking something similar on the LR2 forum too. ;)
    I certainly do, edukatedredhed. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2010 Tiguan SEL AWD with 10,000 miles per year are .00247 and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • lastory1lastory1 Member Posts: 8
    Can I get the lease figures for a 2009 Tiguan SEL 36/39 months 15,000 miles Thanks.
    Here you go, lastory1. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Tiguan SEL 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00115 and 45%, respectively.

I don't believe that VW is currently providing support on 39 month leases of this truck.

Car_man
    Host
  • ducat13ducat13 Member Posts: 34
    Car_Man,

Can you pls supply money factor and residual for a 36 month, 2009 or 2010 Tiguan SE with 12K and 15K miles per year respectively?

Thx.
  • wootasticwootastic Member Posts: 1
    I was just quoted today at .00257 and 47% on a 2010 SE with Nav / Leather / Sunroof.

The money factor seems high to me. I'm suspicious, I'd like to have this money factor confirmed if possible.
  • HardC0d3rHardC0d3r Member Posts: 4
    The new lease moneys and residuals are much better for November...

I leased a SE/w/leather today, 28K MSRP, 10K miles/year, 36 mo, with (almost) 0 down, wear n tear(covers up to $5K for $585), %6 tax included $395/mo.
    $1650 out of pocket for TTT + dealer + first months payment+$300 for the excessive wear n tear.

I am a happy camper. Now we have a CC sport + a Tiguan SE/w/leather for under $800/mo with just inceptions and change, no maintenance costs for 3 years, just pump the gas n go in style. No worries on excessive wear n tear either.
    :)
    I am loving the CC more and more every other day. Today I found out that the adaptive headlights are awesome... How did I drive without that before, lol
    :)
  • cs2ics2i Member Posts: 9
    ok, maybe there's a better forum for this question, but it does hinge on my decision to be able to negotiate a good Tiguan lease.

3yrs ago i went into leasing blind, for a CX7, which i put about 2K down plus tax, inception and whatever else they asked for... since then i've been hearing putting down money on a lease is stoopid...

i got an internet quote for an SE 4Motion, w/no options for $419/month, only tax inception down.

1. is this a good deal?
    2. what are all the numbers i need to know and understand, so i can go in and sound educated? ;)
    3. how does the sticker price/MSRP and dealer cost factor into their calculating the lease cost?
    4. what can i use to bargain with? i do at least want the sunroof so i figure i can use that

any guidance, even if its to a link to a better thread, would be appreciated!

thanks,
    cs
  • k2chadk2chad Member Posts: 18
    You've got some research to do. First off, never ever go by monthly payment. Your payment will end up at the END of negotiating. Best way is to find a car on the lot, you'll have a lot more negotiating power. You may give up some options you want, but it will pay off if they are not deal breakers. Don't forget that VW service doesn't care where you bought your car. Drive 10 hours if you find what you want at the right price, then have the service done at home. Here are your steps:
    1) Research the invoice price. Include ALL options at invoice as well.
    2) Find out the dealer incentives/holdback for the time period you are going to buy, edmunds does this to some degree, the consumer reports guide for your model is also very helpful but costs $14.
    3) Subtract the holdback from the invoice. This is where you START. Realize at this price the dealer makes little money, you're going to have to give them some of the holdback likely. How much depends on how desperate they are to sell you the car. Invoice is $24,540 on a 2010 SE 4 Motion with no options. Current incentive is $750 for eastern US customers. I can't find the holdback for this month. Letting them keep $200 of the holdback is fair, and a good counter. If you really want the car, consider splitting it, you'll still be under invoice. In your case $23790 would be invoice minus dealer cash. Again, there probably is a holdback as well this month.
    4) Once you have negotiated the selling price, tell them you want to lease, in your case to get the $750 you have to use VW credit, so you could be upfront about that to get to the sell price. Realize the selling price is by far the most important number in the deal.
    5) Double check that the money factor and residual are not inflated. These are set by VW USA, but some dealers may choose to mark these numbers up to make more money in the deal.
    6) Check every line of the lease offer, most of it is negotiable. There will be an acquisition fee of $575, and doc fee of $299. Can't really do anything about those. EVERYTHING else is there is pure dealer profit. Don't fall for scams like glass etching, pin striping, window tinting, detailing, etc. Insist on none of that. If they charge a fee for them to go to the DMV to register it, tell them you'll do it yourself. If they charge for the full tank of gas, tell them to deliver it on E. If they offer 'extra' service at 5000 and 15000 miles, show them the VW recommended service schedule. This is a lease. You don't care about long term reliability! Don't buy gap insurance without a long discussion with your own auto insurance policy. All of these things are done by the finance guy once your deal is "done" with the salesman. The finance guy is the biggest slimeball in the dealership, so go in prepared for war. Fall for nothing. Acquisition and doc fees only!
    7) Once you've survived the dingy back office of the finance guy, you'll have a number, your monthly payment. You will, of course, already know this number because there are multiple lease calculators online. They are worthless unless you know your MSRP, selling price, money factor, and residual.
    8) In general, you should put no money down on a lease. Car companies put out huge ads in the Sunday paper showing how you can lease a BMW or Porsche for $400/month, but if you read the fine print it is usually with about $8000 down. VW does this too, you'll see the Tiguan for $99/month. With a lot down. Don't do it. Take that money and put it in an index fund for the term of the lease. Heck, buy Google stock. Anything but give it away to VW.
    Thanks very much for this info, k2chad. Follow-up question for you: since the holdback allows dealers to profit only within the first 90 days following the car's order, how can we know how long it's been since the car was ordered? Seems like if I bring it up the dealer can say it's been on the lot for 2 months and so the holdback is reduced by two thirds, and I have no way of pushing back on that. Is there a sale or ship date on the invoice sticker or something?

Thanks very much in advance.
  • k2chadk2chad Member Posts: 18
    Should be a build date on the drivers door, but this only tells you when it was built. Takes some time to get to the US, and subsequently delivered. So no real accurate way but you can likely get a general idea if it has either been just delivered, or was built 9 months ago then it has sat a while. Cars can also switch dealers. Inspection sticker may or may not be helpful. Where I am the sticker goes on after purchase. Your state may be different and that would be an easy way to tell. Just look for when it expires.

A big point about the holdback though is that, like anything, it's not that simple. There are still volume discounts and other incentives that only the dealer knows. So if there is a $5000 bonus for selling 20 Tiguans in a month and they have sold 19, you can get into a great deal, but you will never know that info nor will they disclose it.

In any case, your best starting price will be invoice minus incentives minus holdback. Shop that price around and then make incremental steps upward.

VW holdback is 2% of the base MSRP.
  • hpejhpej Member Posts: 8
    i am trying to lease a car. i got the formulas to figure out a good deal and wanted to see if someone can help. does anybody know the money factor and residual values for the 2010 S tiguan?? are there any cash back deals right now?? below is the quote from the dealer in scottsdale, az

msrp 26,025
    sale price 24525
    cap reduction (2k down-$992 will go to fees and $1008 for cap reduction)
    residual value 14,313
    money factor 0.00181 (az tax is 8.1%)
    I came up with $323/mo inc tax DEALER offered 349/mo
    DID I DO THIS CORRECT???
    39mo lease
    Here you go ducat13. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Tiguan SE 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00126 and 49%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2009 model are .00094 and 41%.

If you were to lease either of these trucks with only 12,000 miles per year, their residuals would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi hpej. Let's work up a lease payment on the Tiguan that you're interested in and see what we come up with. According to mu calculations, if you were to lease a 2010 Tiguan S 2WD that has an MSRP of $26,025 and a selling price of $24,525 through VW Credit right now for 39 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $326.

I calculated this payment with zero down because it is in your best interest as a consumer to put as little money down as possible when leasing.

Volkswagen is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this truck in your area.

Car_man
    Host
  • lastory1lastory1 Member Posts: 8
    Can I get the lease figures for a 2010 Tiguan SEL (with no added options) 15,000 miles 36 months and 39 months. Thanks.
  • semidasemida Member Posts: 1
    Can I get the lease figures for a 2010 Tiguan SE (with no added options) 12,000 miles 36 months and 39 months. Thanks.
  • ajreidajreid Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have the money factor and/or residual value on the 2010 Tiguan.
  • slayton323slayton323 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, is it possible to find out what the residual value for a 2010 Tiguan SE w 4Motion, Leather, Navigation and sunroof would be for a 39 month lease with 10k miles per year?

Thanks for your time.
  • bandit66bandit66 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a Blue 2009 Tiguan SEL w/ Navigation and Panoramic Sunroof from my local dealer ... this demo had 505 miles on it and had a sticker price of $37800. With all of the current incentives and some wheeling and dealing I got it for $31500 ... a pretty sweet deal. If the price is right I say BUY IT!
  • avantgoavantgo Member Posts: 4
    there is a promotion on until jan 4th. I'm interested in the 4motion sel. any direction appreciated. thanks
    Here you go, lastory1. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Tiguan SEL 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00126 and 47%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00131 and 46%.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.