Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

replacment key

essie32essie32 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Buick
i had lost my car key to my ignition and i was woundering if the buick dealership can order me a new key that works for a 1992 buick park ave? the key has to have the chip on it for the secerity system.

Comments

• essie32essie32 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me where to locate the security alarm system??? :sick:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I'm not sure what you are meaning. Are you wanting to bypass the VATS system? This is the security system that reads the key chip resistance and makes sure it's the right amount to match whichever one of 15 choices the car is set to need.

Do you have a key that works? You will need it to read the resistance to know which key will need to be cut to match the cylinder.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• autozautoz Member Posts: 3
    I am a proud owner of a 2001 Buick Park Ave (Std., not Ultra}
    My fuel gage was pegged so I installed a different speedometer/gage assembly from a 2003 P.A., salvage yard purchase. At this time I also changed the factory radio to a factory radio that has a C.D. player. It appears that the fuel gage and radio function just fine. The problem is that now when I turn the ignition to on, all of the system check light activate, but when I turn the key to start all the display goes out and there is no attempt to start the car. Next I walked the original fuel gage counter-clockwise back to empty and reinstalled the original speedometer cluster. The same symptoms exist, but the fuel gage works. Is there an issue with the Pass key III security system? Please share any thoughts! Thanks, Dave
  • autozautoz Member Posts: 3
  • rams2rams2 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me if a replacement can be made ( using the VIN) without taking the vehicle to a dealer?
    >At this time I also changed the factory radio to a factory radio that has a C.D. player.

I believe the radio is part of the car's security system. I suspect taking it out affected that operation.

Put the original radio back in.

If you change the radio I'll bet it will require a dealer to reset the system. At least it will take someone with
    Tech II to do that.

• tommc2tommc2 Member Posts: 2
    1997 Buick park avenue i just bought has no owners manual. How do you program it. Thanks, Tom.
    Homelink.com has instructions.

You hold the two outside buttons for 20 seconds up to 30 seconds till the red light blinks to clear the settings in all three from the previous owner.

Then you hold your transmitter next to the unit and press the button on the unit and the button on the transmitter. Hold till the light blinks fast.

• tommc2tommc2 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1977 buick park avenue that has a garage door opener feature overhead. I do not have the owners manual to program it. Please help. Thanks, Tom.
  • myparkavemyparkave Member Posts: 7
    Does this mean a new key is needed?
    What year Park Avenue do you have? Is the little black chip with contacts on each side in the key?

Sorry forgot some critical info. I have a 93 pa and yes i do have that type of key. I have switched the keys with my wife whom rarely drives my car as well.
    If it has a theft deterrent system for the doors and trunk, that may be keeping the light on.

Does it go off when driving?

Try pulling the tamper wire on the trunk lid latch. You may have to pull back the felt covering to find it. Some people have reported a problem with that sensor occurring most often.

You have an earlier system of the anti theft key portion. I believe it's managed by the powertrain computer. After a couple more years, there's a separate theft module for the key check for resistance. You might search for VATS on the net.

I suspect yours is not from the key resistance reading. You haven't mentioned trouble getting the car to crank, which is what would happen if it didn't read the key resistor right. With the later (95 or thereabouts) the key theft portion can fail in 4 modes and one of them is it decides it lost its mind and doesn't prevent the car from starting, but the security light stays on. But on my 98 leSabre the security light never comes on--but I don't have the trunk and door check security stuff on mine (ordered it without, intentionally).

You might try the key portion by turning the key to ON and seeing if the security light comes on for about 5-10 seconds and then goes off. That is what the key portion should do if it's getting the right resistance.

Well now my fuel pump is out and wont start at all (duh right) so after that i will do more checking on VATS. Thanks again for the help. Also how do i read resistance on key?
This discussion has been closed.