Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• jfuller001jfuller001 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know inside scoop on redesign of 4runner. Certain dealers are giving me differing opinions and GOTOYOTA will divluge nothing. Would hate to spend 35K plus on 2001 when 2002 may have more power and more appointments/size.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    I'm shopping for a new vehicle. Have question about the VSC or stability control.

MY question: When you step on the brake(antilock with brake force distribution), does the VSC still function? All the VSC article just states it will automaticaly engage throttle and brakes in oversteer understeer situations. No word on braking situations.

My idea is this. My first reaction to road hazard is step on the brake. If anti lock allows me to brake and steer, VSC offers me no benefit.

Could someone please point me to a good article on this subject. Thanks.
  • dave216dave216 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the 2001 4runner LTD does have heated leather front seats. I am not sure if it is standard or not but I think it is.
  • tokyomach4tokyomach4 Member Posts: 10
    Go to motortrend.com under future vehicles. Their information is a bit confusing as they list 2002 as new sport/Ute based on the Taco ma again. With standard V-6. Then if you check 2003 they state only all new 4Runner. Best to check elsewhere for more info. That said the all new 4runner will be in high demand when it does come out and prices will reflect that. A loaded 2001 or 2002(if last year for old model) will be way below msrp. as the current 2001 are invoice priced.
    Good Luck I in the same situation as you.
  • ngilbert1ngilbert1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1995 2wd V6 4Runner with only
    44,000 miles on it. I would sure like some input on how the pre 1996 compares with newer models. Overall, it seems like a very solid vehicle with
    the exception of it being a little sluggish off the line.Thanks.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The VSC relies on the ABS system to work. If you are already using the brakes, the VSC is not going to be able to do its job. VSC brakes one, two or three wheels to prevent understeer and oversteer and modulates throttle control.
  • fulmer1fulmer1 Member Posts: 2
    To those who responded to my pleas for help regarding the gas gauge problem, I will contact my dealer Monday to see if I can get it fixed. It always helps to alert the dealer to the fact that you know the problem is prevalent, and that you have a lead on how to fix it. Thanks again.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I read in Autoweek that the 4Runner would be getting "a facelift" for 2002. However, I read this at autonews.com:

4Runner: With many automakers going carlike, Toyota will make sure the 4Runner stays trucky. A redesign comes in the mid-2002 calendar year as the lead vehicle off the new Tacoma platform. But with so many sport-utilities in the Toyota lineup, expect the next 4Runner to have a slimmer model array.

So I really have no idea what will happen to the 4Runner in 2002. Anyone who can clear this information up, please do.
    I asked my district rep about the new 4Runners. he had very little information but indicated that we would see them "sometime next year" which would mean either a 2002 1/5 or a 2003 model year. He had no details on power or design.
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    It seems like this board is for the newer 4Runner owners, I guess I will try this anyways.

I would like opinions and comments on a 1995 4Runner SR5 2WD V6 with 83,000 miles.

The salesman told my wife $13,900 and I got $9,995.

The test drive went OK, it does have a dash rattle and rides a little rough but it probably needs new shocks.

Is there a way I can tell if the head gasket has been replaced?
    Ask them to find out. Their service department can punch the VIN into the computer and tell if it has had the head gasket replaced under the service campaign.
  • ellenk2ellenk2 Member Posts: 5
    I am test driving SUV's and loved the feel of the 4 Runner. A dealer near me has a 2000 , 3.4L with options FP4,LA3, QS9, UF6, WU4, XK1, XU2, XY3. Car has 3000 miles (no loan for previous buyer), and a couple of scratch marks. Price given is $26,885 which includes $1k rebate. Cliffy1 your opinion would be appreciated. I really would like a sunroof, don't care about leather, but would other options for 2001 be better (i.e. VSC)? I probably need to move quickly if this is good. thanks.
    What is the best place to look for dealers who have the best price on 4 Runners? Is the invoice price on Edmunds the best negotiating tool?
    I have no idea what those option codes are. They are not US codes and $26K sounds very low for a 1 year old Runner with only 3K miles. Are you in Canada?

As to the VSC, I personally would select that over anything else but that is up to you. I am completely enamored of this system and it is the one thing that would get me to trade my Tundra if they offered this on that model.
  • ron200ron200 Member Posts: 4
    It's good to hear that your stereo unit got fixed. I took it to one dealer and they said is normal. I took my car to another dealer where they replaced the radio unit. But the buzzing noise is still existed so I guess I will call Toyota to have their field rep. to come out to look at it.
    No I don't live in Canada...this is just outside of Atlanta. The options came off the manufacturer's label: 46 point inspection, leather faced seat package with map pockets, remote security system, 4-enkei BTRT 15" wheels w/ raised white letter Michelin, 4 runner travel pkg., black running board fender flap, toyo guard protection group. I'm concerned about the 2 scratches - paint is gone. Can it be repaired? Do you think it's realistic to get a 2001 below 30K? If not, I may go for this one. Thanks in advance.
  • jkgraffjkgraff Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 99 4wd SR5(Desert Dune in color)in July of 99. I started to notice the paint chipping off from around the headlights and later on the hood, doors, and rear hatch. Took it to the dealer, and they had a toyota re look at it. They said it appears my 4runner was sent through the painting process twice, with two sets of paint and clear coat. They said there may have been a series or group of 4runners that had this done. Still waiting to back from them on the fix! Has anyone else heard of this problem? What should I except as a possible fix?
    Those codes are NOT manufacturer's codes. They are distributor codes. Since you live in the Southeast, your distributor adds a bunch of stuff at the port which mark the vehicle way up.

If you lived in... say Virginia (where coincidently, I sell Toyotas), you could get a nicely equipped Runner for just under $30K. It would have only manufacturer's equipment including a moonroof, alloys, keyless entry, running boards, roof rack and such.
  • kennywaynekennywayne Member Posts: 13
    Cliffy, could these three features work in harmony or is there a conflict? The reason I ask is why was the manual transmission eliminated from the 4runner in 2001? Will it be reintroduced in the 2002.5/2003 model year, or because demand is so low that it is not in Toyota's best interest not to continue to make them. Thanks.
    I honestly don't know the answer to that. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a manual transmission but I'm not sure.

I actually think emissions had more to do with the elimination of the hand shaker. Toyota must maintain certain emissions averages and it is hard to get a manual transmission to the same level as an automatic. With the auto, the transmission computer tells the engine computer when to retard ignition during shifts. If you have control over shift points, this can't happen.
  • cyclemedcyclemed Member Posts: 3
    Just stumbled across this group and you seem to be a knowledgeable bunch. I have some questions that have been bugging me since I got the 96.

1. My fuel guage too is very inaccurate. Does the problem go back to 96. It seems to take 13 gallons when the light comes one. I tend to get 15/16 around town or towing on the highway and 20 on the highway, so i think it is just the guage.

2. Upon coming to a stop, when letting my foot off the brake, I get a noticeable "thunk" and the shift lever jumps (but stays in gear). I have been told by two dealers it is normal, but my 94 and other 96 and 97's i've driven don't do it.

3. Does the TRD supercharger make a big difference. I tow 2500 pound motorcycle trailer (and bikes) and really would like more power.

4. Is it normal for the shift lever to get "hot" when drining highway speeds towing. Again, I have been told it is normal but I don't like it. The reason I ask is that my 94 needed a new tranny at 59000. The problem was traced back to the inability of Toyota transmissions to accept Dextron III when being used in hot weather and under load (aka...towing). The new tranny overheated as well. Once they located Dextron II and replace with that never had another problem. I was told this problem was fixed on the 96 and newer but the tranny still gets hot. I had one service done and they most likely put in Dexron III as that is all that is available now.

Thanks in advance.
  • joslynnejoslynne Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone familiar with the old 4 Runners? It has 110,000 miles and I just got a new clutch. I think it's just a 4wd pickup with a fiberglass top on it and a rollbar.
  • beer4fishbeer4fish Member Posts: 1
    The '86 4Runner was a modification of their Truck. I have a '85 4x4, and work on my Mom's '86 4x4 truck. Both are excellent vehicles. Am looking into buying a new 4Runner, only because I'll need the extra seating space soon. My '85 been very reliable. Had to have the Tray rebuild with 260,000 miles on it (5th gear went out), and the R22 engine still running fine, though a little weak, at 272,000 miles. Keeping the oil changed at every 2500 miles helps a lot in the long run. So joslynne, what you like to know?
  • jancie1jancie1 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2001 4Runner SR5 4WD (3 weeks ago) and I've experienced problems with indicator lights. After going through a carwash and a large puddle, the ABS, parking brake, VSC, and TRAC control lights went on. The lights went off about 30 minutes later after I let the car sit in the parking lot. I took it to a dealer and they said they couldn't help since the computer did not record any codes. However, yesterday, while driving on dry pavement, the lights turned on again. When I turned the ignition off and turned it on again, the lights went off. I looked into the owner's manual, and it says that it is extremely dangerous to drive with the ABS and parking brake light on, that the car may experience unstable braking. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Without ABS, VSC, and traction control, I a bit nervous about driving it on rain and snow. Not helpful since I live in Chicago. Help?!
    I have a suspicion about why your lights came on the first time. The current 4WD system has a lot of computer input and it is very possible to confuse the system by hitting buttons or moving levers out of order. When this happens, the VSC and TRAC lights come on and will not go off until you remove the key and restart it. I suspect the attendant at the car wash either hit the differential lock button or tried to shift into 4 Low without being in 4 high first.

The proper way to engage the 4WD system is to hit the button on the side of the selector. Wait until the indicator lights stop flashing before doing anything else. Once it does, you can hit the diff lock button or move the selector into 4 low. by only doing things this way, you wont have a problem.

Now, as for the lights coming on while driving, I have no idea. Are you sure you didn't hit any buttons? If not, there could be a problem.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    just turned 750 miles on my 2001 SR5 and my only dislikes so far are the inside rearview mirror seems too small and the trans. dipstick is very flimsy. No lights-still-on buzzer either. All of the electronic brake and traction controls seem impressive but my guess is that they will eventually be my first after warrranty expenses for glitches/repairs. Ya' gotta love these vehicles though.
    Does anyone know whether or not the VSC, TRAC, and Electronic Brake Assist can be installed on a 2000 4Runner? These are safety features that would certainly make me feel more comfortable having and I am disappointed in not having them on my own 4Runner.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    We purchased a '00 base model in April, had to order it as there were none available with the options we wanted. Placed the order in Dec '99 and told it may take up to 4 months, which it did. We like the vehicle alot, the 4 cyl gets a bad rap, but I think its great. It has plenty of power for our needs-we don't plan on pulling a trailer. We got the 5 speed, 4wd with upgrade package #1 and average mixed driving (hiway, town, mountain roads and 4wd driveway) 20 mpg and on trips 28. Since I do as much maintenance as I can I like the room to access things in the engine compartment. This motor has a timing chain instead of belts. We haven't experienced any fuel gauge problems. I didn't like the fact that you had to push the clutch peddal completely to the floor to start, with boots this was awkward, so I added a small plastic disc (about 3/16"X3/4") and attached it so the switch at the base of the clutch would engage sooner-works great. Anybody know why Toyota makes such a big emphasis on retorquing the flange bolts near the double joints on the drive line? I checked them once, not knowing the recommended torque, they were quite snug. The book recommends this for every service. Suspension is stiff and can really bounce you around on a rough road, but it can handle added weight without bottoming out. 4wd is very good, low range is a real climber. Unfortunately the 4 cyl and the 5 speed have been phase out for 2001.
    Converting an '00 would be prohibitively expensive. It would take extreme re configuring of the entire system. It really can't be done in a practical sense.
    This is not really something important, but I was wondering whether or not anyone noticed that some 4Runners are shorter than others, up to 2 inches shorter. I noticed this on my 4Runner (2000 LTD 2WD) when compared to many others. I've only seen 1 other 4Runner that was closer to the height of mine. Every other 4Runner I've seen, 2WD and 4WD, SR5 and Limited, have all been higher and taller than mine, based on window sills and side mirrors. I was just wondering if this has ever resulted or been the result of any kind of suspension problems.
  • waid10waid10 Member Posts: 21
    jf01,

Yes the 2001 Limited does have heated front seats. I picked up my 2001 right before Xmas. I am not sure if it is standard though. The seats heat up super-quick, and are great for that cold leather on Cleveland winter mornings. My only criticism is on the location of the controls. Both buttons for the heated seats are located to the left of the steering wheel. So if the passenger wants their seat on or off, the passenger has to ask the driver to hit the button. Not a big deal I guess. My wife's Saab had the buttons in the middle and it just seems like a more logical place so each person can control his own seat.
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    Does anybody out there thinks that the brakes on the 2001 4runner(4WD SR5 with VSC + TRAC) feel mushy or too soft?

TNX
    My wife owned a '97 and I always though they were too soft. I don't think the VSC has anything to do with it.
    My 2001 brakes do not seem 'Mushy' at all....maybe you should have them checked ? What kind of vehicle/brakes are you used to driving....comparing with ?
  • westboundwestbound Member Posts: 1
    Imperial Jade Mica front bumper, together with the valance, OEM fog lights, OEM marker/signal lights, just the way it came off the truck.

Manik brush guard for a '97-'01 4Runner, just hte way it came off the truck.

http://fargo.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~mihai/4x4.html

westbound

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just wanted to note that I've altered the name of this discussion slightly - we don't need the "Part" numbers anymore since here on our new platform we don't have to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts. (Also that shouting and all those question marks were painful!)

I'm finding that there are several other 4Runner conversations going on around here, so I'm inviting all of them to join you here.

By the way I'm your new host - nice to meet everyone. :-)

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Haven't seen you around the MTC lately. Stop by and say hi.
    I've been too busy lately to relax on the mountain top. Have you seen the Highlander and Sequoia topics? Its brutal trying to keep up.

Thanks for the reminder though.
  • judkeijudkei Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 SR5 with 4WD and have several questions:

1. When the vehicle is in 2-wheel drive, are the drive wheels the front wheels or the rear wheels?

2. The explanation in the Owners Manual regarding 4-wheel drive is almost useless. I think the author used to write software instruction manuals.
    Is there a good source of detailed information on the 4-wheel drive system (I saw cliffy1's message #123, but would like more detailed information).

Thanks
    jf01 You probably have the 15 inch base 6 spoke steel rims as I do. The majority of late models are sold with 16 in alloy rims which adds 1+ inches to the height.
    Mine is more than high enough for my liking with the 15's.
  • mikado462mikado462 Member Posts: 10
    I am 6'4" tall and weigh 325lbs so I'm a good size load by myself. I sat in a 2000 Limited and after adjusting the seat was able to achieve headroom and ample but not what I'd call sprawling room. I've read posts that say head/hip/shoulder room seems to vary ... is this the case.

Secondly, as much as the luxury of the Limited is enticing, I really don't need all the gadgets but would like the input from others as to whether it's worth the cost etc...

Third, I want a vehicle that will last (I like to keep them a minimum of 10 years) with only usual maintenance. I own a lot of rentals as well as a pizza shop and also an ice cream shop so I always have quite a few tools, parts, saws, etc... which I carry (probably amounts to about 500 pounds or so)... therefore, I guess the question is whether this is the right vehicle for what I'm doing? I'm open to suggestions but most other vehicles have very poor economy and are still very pricey.

Lastly, is the higher cost of the 4Runner worth it in the end? I know there is always someone who will have problems ... but would like to know whether this is a good vehicle for what I want to do or is it simply a pretty vehicle that folks buy because they like the looks of it?

Sorry for being so long.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    When you are in 2WD, it is the rear wheels that have power to them. If you want more information on 4WD in general, try www.howthingswork.com or send me an e-mail and I'll send you a list of terms and definitions that may help you further understand my previous post on the subject.

My e-mail is sclifford@kjtoyota.com.
  • jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    Your a healthy fella. I go 6'2" 230 lbs and the 4Runner fits tight for me. I am still comfortable in the vehicle but if I were any bigger I would go with a full size SUV.

I have a cleaning business where I transport chemicals, buffers, paper products etc...

I have a full-size van that I bought used for this job. I just throw the junk in the back and go and I wouldn't do this in my 4Runner. Just my opinion.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I thought you were only interested in american owned and made SUV's. What made you change your mind? The 4runner is a great SUV having owned one before.
  • nyxxnyxx Member Posts: 8
    I posted a question on another board and was told to come here...
    I have a 95 4-runner, manual transmission, 81,000 miles and have started to experience a strange groaning sound when releasing the clutch in first gear. It is a random sound,and only lasts a second or two, sounds like a fan belt going bad, but lower-pitched. I have tried to make the sound on purpose but to no avail. I just recently had all the fluids replaced, it made no difference. Today is a wet, slushy, warmish day and it was the first time that I have not experienced the sound for a while. Any ideas on what could be going on?
  • dbabbledbabble Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone had problems with a rear diff locker? I have a 2000 4Runner, 4wd, auto, V6. According to the manual, the truck should be in 4-wheel drive and low range when engaging the locker. The manual says the light will blink for a few seconds, and then stay on to indicate it's locked. I find that if I'm not moving when I engage it, it won't lock. When I have it moving forward, slowly, it will seem to pop in. I'm not sure if this is normal, and the manual really isn't too specific. I have never owned a vehicle with a locker, so I don't know if it's me or the truck. It kinda makes sense that it might not pop in when at a stand still, if things aren't lined up right. Can anyone out there clue me in?

Thanks
    You need to be stopped to engage it but it wont actually lock in until you move. I'm not a real big fan of these units because it is fairly easy to damage the vehicle with it completely locked up. Just get yourself unstuck and unlock the thing ASAP.
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    I think it's the clutch realease bearing that's making that sound. Older Toyotas are notorious for this. When you replace your clutch, replace the release bearing, it's just a few dollars more.
  • dbabbledbabble Member Posts: 13
    Yes, I agree the thing should be used under very specific circumstances. In my case, it was to test it and make sure it works. It was one of the features I insisted on when I bought the truck. I figure a factory locker beats one installed by Joe's Garage. Thanks for the explanation!
  • pstrongpstrong Member Posts: 2
    We are in the process of deciding on a new vehicle. We're staying with a Toyota SUV. We drove some of the others, but always came back to the Toyota line-up. Wow, I can't believe how many there are getting to be! We have it narrowed down to a 4Runner or the Highlander. Leaning toward a 2001 4Runner BUT what about the redesign?! I really HATE it when I get the butt end of a models design! Are there any pictures of the 2002 4Runner? How big of a change will the 2002's be?