Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Coupe

13»

Comments

• marcosimarcosi Posts: 3
    I bought a 07 CLS with 39k miles about 11 months ago and since then have put on about 10k miles. Have been very satisfied with all aspects of the car except for the occasional buzz or rattle I hear from the door or the dash. Had about a dozen small/cosmetic things fixed up by the dealer under warranty and was satisfied with the work and the process. Other than that I have had no mechanical or other problems. Will be bringing it in to dealer for first servicing soon since it's on a 10k oil change schedule. Forgot one item: squeaky front breaks. Dealer tells me it's due to the type of pads used and normal (??) . When I get new pads am told that the ones they use now don't squeak. Very happy with performance and other ownership aspects.
  • mmm1mmm1 Posts: 54
    Thanks Marcosi. Increases the comfort factor.
  • mmm1mmm1 Posts: 54
    I bit the bullet and bought a 2008 CLS 550 with 5200 miles on it and a full dealer warranty until March 2012. Car looks like it just came off of the showroom floor. A few weeks later I went to get in the car one morning and noticed that the left side was lower than the right side. Called dealer's service dept and they said don't drive it, we will send a two truck to bring it in. Next day dealer calls and says that the left rear air spring/strut is bad. They replaced it and the replacement strut was also bad. They put another one on, kept it for 3 days to be sure it didn't leak air and all was well. No cost to me of course since car was under warranty. Got up to 105 mph on a long, straight country road and it was just as steady as if it were on rails. Wife went catatonic when she heard that---doesn't think a 76 year old should drive that fast. Won't tell her next time. Love the car.
  • I recently purchased the 2008 cls 550 with the sports package and it was all over the place on ice and snow. However, thanks to comments from others on this site, I purchased 18" Blizak snow tires from tire rack. The car now handles great on the Chicago ice and snow filled roads.
  • 2008 cls 550. sweet ride. Rear wheel drive. How is it going through the bad Chicago snow storms ? Or on the ice highway ?
  • Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post that but didn't find anything and am in rush so will go ahead and ask!
    I am a student in us and am doing my opt, I am also planning to buy cls 2012 and after 6 months want to ship it over to europe!
    So my question is what steps do I need to take to ensure I can ship the car over to europe?
    Your answer is highly appreciated!
    Thanks!
  • gw9gw9 Posts: 1
    Bought an "immaculate" '08 CLS 550 in Jan 2012. Had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. Now has 50,000 mi. Loaded with all the extras. Cosmetically flawless, sounds great and runs like a Scalded Ape. At 45,000 mi the required "A" maintenance was needed, which costs about $800 including the annual oil change. It's now September 2012 and in the 9 months i have owned the car I've spent more than $6,000 US on repairs. All service has been done at MB dealers even before I bought the car. Last week I had the dealer replace the passengers side front shock / suspension unit for $2,200. I hope the other three hold on for a while. I will need new tires before yearend, a set of 4 Michelins runs about $1,700 US (installed).

The CLS 550 is a GREAT driving experience and a real head turner of a car. BUT the caveat is that a high performance vehicle is NOT a low maintenance vehicle. This car has more than 400 BHP and is very heavy for its class. As a result, the wearout is much faster on tires, brakes, suspension, steering sensors, etc. which is where most of your repairs will be. Engine and and drive train are still in top condition. If you can afford the upkeep to constantly replace worn out brakes and suspension and tires, it's the most thrilling 4 door saloon you can buy for less than $80,000.
  • Yes! I've heard of that, I'm on my 2nd CLS' 2008 and 2011. Both had the same issue, and my 2012 is a new Bluetooth system, you don't need to buy the $800 thing to make it work.

That cracks me up that "no one" at Mercedes has heard that, of course they have.

The navigation is MUCH better, but still not as good as the programs on your phone!

The telephone sound to people you call is awful, everyone complains.

Still I love the car, and might buy a 3rd when the lease is up.
13»