Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 and Later Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable Maintenance and Repair Forum

thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
This is where owners of the current model of Taurus or Sable can discuss maintenance and repair experiences with their vehicles, from 2008 and later.

Comments

• jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    I have a 2008 Taurus with only 3k miles on it, and the only thing that remotely bothers me about the car is that it is a little reluctant to kick down into a lower gear. My question is this - since this engine/transmission combo is shared across several vehicles, (Taurus, Taurus X, Edge, Flex, CX9?), is it possible to have the shift program from a different vehicle flashed into this one? I have no idea if the Edge or other vehicle has a more responsive shift pattern, but I'd be interested in finding out. The likelyhood of me actually doing this is remote, but I thought I'd ask.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You can report the shifting hesitation to your dealer, there may be a software update for the trans. I just had the software in my Fusion updated and it shifts much better now.
  • keithm1keithm1 Member Posts: 22
    Just picked up a new Sable Premier AWD a few weeks back. Has all the options, except rear seat entertainment option. Car runs great. Definately love the new 3.5V6. Traded a loaded Milan in for the Sable. Milan handles somewhat "Crisper". Size does make a difference here. Only issue I have... At bottom of trunk lid is a "satin" chrome strip. Milan has this as well. On the Sable water gets under it & when you open the trunk, it leaks into the trunk. A friend suggested putting a thin "beading" of clear silicone chalking at the top of the strip to keep water from getting in. I think it sounds like a good idea. Just have to make the "beading" very thin so as not to appear obvious. Any thoughts here? :)
    Actually replying to my prev. message.Went to the dealer to pick up touch up paint I ordered. Showed them the trunk molding that was an issue. They will remove it & either put a new adhesive strip or replace the part. It's adhered by a "sticky" strip similer to side molding, except the strip is somewhat wider. :) Not a major issue by any means, just don't like the trapped water going into trunk when it's opened.Also feel that water "trapped" that way could allow rust to form over a period of time.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Is there an oil life monitor in the new Taurus? My folks just bought their car, but won't pick it up until Monday, and are curious about the oil change intervals. Our Hondas have a monitor that counts engine RPM and monitors engine conditions to determine when oil changes should be done. Does the Taurus have anything like this? If not, what are the recommended intervals?

Also, is there a timing belt, or timing chain?

Thanks!
    Oil replacement should be every 7500K. Less if you do mostly innercity(4000 or so)
    The 3000K change recommended by Jiffy Lube etc. only enriches their registers.When I get a new car...within a week I get the oil changed to Mobile One(or other great synthetic)As to the timing belt/chain...Honda(most foreign)makes use a belt. It may be quieter, but never lasts as long as a chain. Just another reason I always buy US. Had a friend with an Accura at 65K, his timing belt broke at 70mph. Needless to say he spent over $1500 fixing the car. When was the last time you heard of a timing chain breaking? ;)
    The timing belt broke at 65k? I have never ever heard of a timing belt breaking. Change intervals are usually 90k or later these days anyway. As for my '06 Honda and my folks' 2007 Honda, they're both chains. Only Honda V6 engines have belts, not the I4 engines (the biggest sellers). Anyway, thanks for the chain info for the Taurus.

My Honda has special engine-oil additives from the factory that need to stay in the engine for the full duration of a typical oil change; they help collect the tiny shavings from the engine breaking in. Can someone tell me if this is the case for the Taurus also?
    Yeah, we're going back to 1993. I think it was the Integra. That was really just a gussied up Accord. Much smaller than the Accords of today. Belts on the Hondas are good for 105K. So they say.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ford does not have a break in period. However it is recommended that you do not drive at a constant speed for long periods of time during the first 1,000 miles.

Mark
    Really? That's pretty surprising to me, actually. I did know enough to tell my mom, who drove the car from Birmingham to Gulf Shores, AL the day after purchase to keep the speeds varied. She said she went from 66 to 78 to 74 to 66, changing every half hour.
    Definately didn't like the new lights on the Sable. Test drove the '05 Montego with HID. They make a difference. Have had new Sable for just over a month. Actually went online & bought HID conversion set. Had our mechanic install them. A few minor issues(so far). Lights would stay on until you turned on engine. Then they'd shut off. I think it was because mechanic didn't properly "seat" left light. Also light was "aiming" to the left. Did a little turning in the socket. seems to be "seated" properly now. Light pattern spread is same now as before lights were changed..just brighter now. :)
    When driving over a speed-bump in my mother's '08 Taurus SEL this weekend, I hear a creaking noise from the front of the car (I think front driver's side, but who knows). I know I've read about it here before, but can't find it.

If you've had this problem (or read about it) would you mind sharing what the issue was, and how it was fixed? There are 4,900 miles on the car. It drives beautifully, and only makes the noise over BIG bumps like the speed bumps. And no, I wasn't going over them at 30 MPH either! :shades:

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

TheGrad
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    My '08 Sable does the same thing. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took it in for service. They "could not duplicate the problem". It seems worse if multiple passengers are aboard. Someone else mentioned it in this or another Taurus/Sable forum, and indicated it was the CV boot on the drivers side. He said he lubricated it and the problem went away. I asked for details, but got no answer. Maybe you will have better luck if you can find the post and ask for details.
    Thanks Ron,

That sounds familiar. Maybe if their dealer can't duplicate the problem, they can at least suggest lubricating the CV boot and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for responding on this ghost-town of a board! ;)

TheGrad
    I've got an '08 sable. We have speed bumps all down the hill from where I live. I haven't had any noise as you've discribed. Some of the others have said the CVboot needs lubing. I thought that was done at the factory. Sometimes the dealers are clueless about their own cars. If you know a good mechanic, have him test drive it over a bump & see if he can duplicate the sound. If he does, bet he'll know how to fix it.
  • moosellamoosella Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Sable LS which started making an awful noise when I turned into work today. I want to stop before I go home and add some power steering fluid but I'm not sure what kind is best. My manal is at home. Does anyone know which kind I should buy? Thanks.
    When it's cold outside, and I want to warm the car up quickly, the "auto" setting does not cause the fans to blow hard - barely at all in fact. I can't find a manual setting that makes air blow rapidly into the interior of the car either, just on defrost. The fans will blow hard when cooling on a/c - just not on heat. Anyone know whether this is intended, or if I have a problem?
    Our Honda with Auto Climate Control wouldn't blow heat hard until the car was warmed up (meaning the temp coming from the heater wouldn't be warm enough to actually heat the interior).

Is this it?
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Pretty sure the Auto feature doesn't run the fan faster because it's not going to warm the car up any faster until the engine has properly warmed up. Once the engine temp is high enough to do some good, wa la the fan speeds up.

Mine does the same thing so pretty sure it's doing it as intended and you don't have a problem. I like the Auto temp feature a lot. You set it to a temperature you like and rarely have to mess with it after that.
    I think the fan speed is dependent on the temperature differential - the difference between the existing car temperature and the setting. So, you could increase the fan speed by turning up the setting (or lowering it for cooling) if this difference is small. As the temperature approaches the desired setting, the fan will slow down.
    Thanks all - I figured it might be intended to stop me from just blowing a ton of cold air into the cabin. BTW, almost 10k miles in and I really like this car. Wish I had a later production run, as I don't have the Synch, but it's not that big a deal.
    Glad we could help!

My folks are loving their new Taurus (6,000 miles, bought in June). And yes, they have Sync and LOVE it. :)
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out for this problem. It requires lubing the strut bushing, its a quick fix.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!
  • shrdlushrdlu Member Posts: 1
    My dealer is proposing the same repair on my '08 Sable Premier. How did yours work out? I was told there was no service bulletin for this problem. Thanks for posting this problem... My concerns were the same as yours...
  • cardude_2009cardude_2009 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon. To avoid a wreck I put the car into reverse from drive and accelerated hard. The tires squeaked and all of the sudden the car made a grinding noise. When I put it up it into any other gear it made the same noise. I can only put it in park or neutral. When I jacked it up onto stands and put it in drive it makes the grinding noise only when my foot is on the brake. When I release the brake the wheels spin. I was thinking the problem could be a broken halfshaft either on the left or right side, but I am not sure. If you are experienced and have any knowledge on this please post back.
    Hate to say it, but sounds like you definately did transmissin damage. You never shift from drive to reverse when moving. How fast were you going when you shifted into reverse? If less than 10mph, the damage is probably minor. if, however, you were going full speed, then I'd say you're probably looking at a major repair(maybe complete overhall)Don't necessarily take the car to your dealer. Find someone local who specializes in transmission repair, such as "AMMCO" :sick:
    I am pretty sure I was fully stopped when I put it into reverse, but then I accelerated hard when I was in reverse, but yeah I'm almost positive its transmission problems after looking at it more closely and I might just buy another car.
    I'd get a good estimate before shelling out for a new car! ;)
    Not to jump the gun, but what are some of the better used car buying sites.
  • christian6christian6 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2008 used, very low mileage FWD Taurus about a month ago. I immediately noticed that when I start the car in the morning the engine is rough for several minutes. The engine sounds like it misses and the car even vibrates a little. I took it in to have it checked and naturally they said they didn't hear anything. The other thing that concerns me and may be connected is that I'm only getting 18-19 MPG for combined highway and around town driving. I got 18.4 MPG driving a 180 mi stretch of freeway. The car has about 9K miles. Will gas mileage improve or is it possible that the gas additives in Ca. are contributing to the problem. This will be my last Ford if the Ford dealer sold me the car letting me think I'd be getting 28 MPG.
    I believe you may have a problem. I get 28 or better mpg on the highway (at approx 70 mph), and 18 or 19 around town (but not center city driving) with my 2008 Sable. I have no rough idling at start up. Take it back to your dealer or to another one.
    My folks average 26 MPG when they travel to and from the gulf coast. They average closer to 80 MPH though. In mixed driving, they end up around 23-24. Few stoplights however.
    How does one remove one of the fog lights to replace bulb? Manual says to turn clockwise..when bulb comes out..disconnect connector & replace bulb. I find that there is a "phlange" that seems to prevent you from turning bulb to remove from socket. Anyone have any ideas to get around this? :confuse:
  • mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES has auto climate control. In the winter, (like now),if I have it on auto setting, it does a timed countdown and starts anywhere from 2min to 3 min or so. During the countdown, I have absolutely no air flow at all. Once it gets to zero, the blower automatically makes up for lost time blowing at a very high speed until the cabin starts to reach the preset temperature. Therefore, your unit is probably operating as designed.
  • merlinhmerlinh Member Posts: 1
    I had similar problem with my Lincoln LS. It started to make a rubbing noise when the steering wheel was turned. It was ball joints, needing to be replaced. On the LS it was a $900 job.
    I see where one can add the Sync feature as an accessory to the 2009 Taurus and Sable, but they don't show it for the 2008 models. I wonder why this is, since it was available as a feature (or standard) on 2008 models?
  • pjoannamopjoannamo Member Posts: 5
    I saw your post and had the exact same question.. I too bought a 2008 Sable Premier with the 3.5L and my gas mileage is exactly what yours is.. Did you get a resolution to this and what did the dealer do?

Sincere Regards,
    Pete..
    Just bought a 2008 Sable Premier with 18K miles. Took our first ride along the florida east coast cruising at 45 MPH and only got at best 17.5 MPG with hardly little to no stops for several miles. Filled up another tank of gas and drove strictly the highway at 80 MPH for 55 miles and got 18.2 MPG. I bought the car with the understanding that the MPG rating was 19/28. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what did the dealer do if anything.
  • drew70301drew70301 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2009 Sable Premier FWD with 4,500 miles. I consistently get a display reading of 28 to 30 MPG at 65 or 70 mph. At 45 to 50 mph, I get a display of 30 to 32 MPG. THis is with the AC on.

I have no idea what is causing your porblem. Check to be sure you don't have the OverDrive off or that you are not using the L on the gear selector. Are the tires properly inflated. Is the parking brake completely off? I know these are all obvious questions. Don't mean to offend.
    Tires are Pirelli's inflated to 35 PSI.. checked them all before the trip... I thought the Overtdrive was set to off but it wasn't.. parking brake is ok.. I just put in some fuel injector cleaner hoping that this does it... I called the dealer where I bought it.. and they offer no assistance... I'll have to see if this is covered on the factory warranty.. thanks for the obvious..
    If you are going by the MPG on the display, don't forget to reset it at appropriate times. Also, you will need to manually calculate the MPG based on fuel use and miles driven between fillups (the old fashion way). This calculation will be the most accurate determination, but will have combined city/hwy driving, unless of course you drive only on the hwy between fillups.

Another obvious statement. Your milage will GREATLY depend on HOW you drive. Lots of fast starts eat up lots of gas. So, take this into consideration. But if you reset your MPG display once at a constant speed on level ground, and wait a few min to get a decent average, you should get something close to what i get. Note that strong head or tail winds can make a difference too.
    Thanks for the advice.. my problem was not resetting the AVE MPG setting on the display. You were right again by calculating the MPG the old fashion way.. I did receive a better result.. about 1.5 MPG better.

Do you know anything about ethenol? How much of a decrease in fuel economy can we expect from the manufactures estimated MPG rating (assuming we're driving with normal habits of course)? Or, does the manufacturer's MPG rating reflect that of using ethanol?
    Don't know much about ethanol in fuel. There are lots of information available on the internet, easily found through a google search. I remember looking it up some time ago. What I do remember is that 5 or 10% ethanol will make a small difference in MPG. Of course, E85 makes LOTS of difference. Do a google and you will find some charts of how this affects MPG.

Glad you feel better about your milage.
  • 09mercsable09mercsable Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Mercury Sable Premier FWD with 18" Pirelli' tires and app 4ooo miles and my car makes a "clunk" noise when going over bumps at slow speed. I have taken it back to a local Ford Dealer and they replaced both front struts and also the strut mounts and said that the sound is gone. Obviously they are deaf! So I found this forum and noticed that this seems to be a recurring problem dating all the way back to the late 1980's with Taurus's & Sable's.

I have seen posts for pre-2000 year cars but is anybody with a more recent model year also experiencing the dreaded "CLUNK" noise? And if so, has the noise been fixed? Right now my options are to live with the noise or to go to the dealer and suggest they start replacing parts (sway bar/front stabilizer connecting links and/or Control arm bushings) per previous postings to see if the problem gets fixed for real this time. Any thoughts would be welcome, Thanks!
    I have a 2008 Sable that had the same problem when I test drove it. However, this problem you're referring to has nothing to do with the problem you're describing in earlier models. The pre-2000 Mercury/Lincoln vehicles had a clunking noise in the front end that whenever you mad a hard turn, you would hear the clunking sound. They re-designed the front end in the larger vechicle to stop this.. But.. for the Mercury Sable 2008 2009, there is something in the left front kickplate that the dealer replaced and said it's a recurring problem in this style vehicle.. I purchased the vechicle at Holeman Lincoln Mercury Dealer in Hollywood Florida if you want to give them a call. The mechanic who worked on it knew a lot about this problem.
    Hope this helped.
    EXCELLENT! Thanks for the info. And it's a small world - I had the struts replaced at Holman Lincoln Mercury Dealer in Maple Shade, NJ, which is part of the Holman Auto Group, which owns both car dealers! So I will be contacting my dealer today with the info and I'm sure that they will get in touch with your dealer to get the lowdown on the repair and I will follow-up with a new post when the repair is complete. THANKS AGAIN!
    Pjoannamo, Would you believe it? The Holman Dealer in NJ won't contact their Florida Dealer to find out info on what you mentioned because they are saying they don't think it's the same problem. Hello - same car model and same general problem description? So I was wondering if you wouldn't mind letting us know the name of the person in the service dept that served you so we could call him/her. Thanks In Advance.
  • christian6christian6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Ford Taurus that squeeks loudly going slowly over speed bumps or any bumps for taht matter. When I take it in for servicing I'll bring it to their attention but I'm sure they'll say it's normal even though it shouldn't be normal. Susan