Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Parking Sensors

jillb2jillb2 Member Posts: 8
I have rear parking sensors for my ZG Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4i 4x4 model LS with CVT.

Is it possible to have front parking sensors fitted, like the Captiva?

regards,
Jill

Comments

• jillb2jillb2 Member Posts: 8
    The Mitsubishi Australia site says that the 2.4litre Outlander petrol model is unsuitable for conversion to LPG.

Can anyone please advise why this migh be so?

regards,
    Jill
  • jillb2jillb2 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone please adsvise on their fuel consumption for city and rural driving with a 2.4litre ZG Outlander model LS with CVT transmission?

regards,
    Jill
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please consult the Mitsubishi Outlander Real World MPG discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I got a big disappointment when option part# MZ380465EX (Rear Parking Aid Sensors kit) installed in Japan in my car just did not satisfy my expectation.

Harness and hardware were confined to the rear of the car only and the final installation implied an intrusive and visible black box (2.5 x 2 inches) at the left of the cargo area wall. I requested this option on the belief that the parking sensor will resemble those Outlanders that are sold in Europe. This European system has a unit box control under the driver instrumentation panel that controls the flow of the information (forward/backward) to the back sensors. This unit is connected to a switch (sonar switch) with LED light indicator that can be disabled by the driver and the car can be operated without rear sensors.

The sensors that Mitsubishi installed in my car are the cheapest system that you can buy in Wall Mart. There are no Sonar switches, nor Unit box rear sensor control, although all the wiring is included in the floor harness from the front to the rear of the 2012 Outlander GT.

After some telephone calls from my dealership the only explanation was that the USA government regulations forces customers to keep the rears sensor switched on all the time. What a preposterous explanation/excuse!!
  • fastgstfastgst Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2012
    I have a 2012 GT.. built July 2011 with rear parking sensor as well.

It has a volume knob and on / off switch on the box you described.

I agree it should have been be more integrated for the price, and this is pretty much an aftermarket kit, despite I don't get any integration on my dash, it gets the job done and I had been using it.

I don't buy the explaination you were given. I am also surprised you have a different box than mine with no volume or on/off provision.
    When I press the on/off button on this box to turn it off, it does not beep no matter what, which is useful for towing and using a bike rack.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    edited July 2012
    Many thanks for your contribution.

I have the electrical diagram of the European Outlander version and I am able to see that the rear parking sensor has a control unit (parking sensor box) below the car instrumentation and wires run from this unit to the rear of the car. This unit controls the operation of the system in order to act as you describe it.

It appears that because Mitsubishi is not selling many Mitsubishi cars in the USA, as for example Canada, Mexico and Europe, Mitsubishi is saving money by downgrading some aspects of the car constructed for the USA market e.g. paint (my car has one-inch long x 1/16 inch width that the painting process has missed at the rear brake lamp surrounding ) and now, as far as I know, the option rear parking is not like the Outlander 2011-2012, and the 2012 version does not have any anti-roll bar visible in the engine compartment (it is absent in the 2012 version), and doors that make noise (friction or bending) when operating. I have used silicone oil on the door’s hinges but still there is perceptible noise that is telling you that you are opening/closing the doors.

I went to a Mitsubishi dealership to check about this door noise and to my surprise an identical car to mine made the same noise. If I were to buy a car knowing little about cars possibly after opening the doors I will leave the dealership and buy other make of car. It appears that Mitsubishi dealerships sell cars without a serious PDI and to the detriment of Mitsubishi (in the USA) they are helping that Mitsubishi is not selling enough Mitsubishi cars in the USA.

Mitsubishi (USA) has announced that it will construct the Outlander Sport in the USA and it will not be a surprise that also the Outlander 2013 (new model 3.0 L) will be constructed in the USA. By doing this Mitsubishi think that some savings can be made and therefore used to improve the quality and eliminate the problems mentioned above. Let’s see.
  • fastgstfastgst Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2012
    It does make a bit of ticking / creak sound (very faint) when the door is about to approach the detent, I had to really listen for it. When I get in and out of the car I don't even notice it.

I think they did not change the door hinge.. Engineering changes are costly to implement. They only omitted a couple of things that does not have to involve engineers.
  • natt1969natt1969 Member Posts: 1
    My rear park sensor stopped working recently, so I researched FOREVER online and in my owner's manual for a fix. NOTHING! Low and behold, as one poster mentioned above, if your Mitshubishi came with rear park sensors, there is a tiny little black box inside the cargo area in back (mine is on the left near the wheel well. This little box allows you to turn the sensors on and off, and control the volume. Funny enough, it took the Mitshubishi dealership 3 days to figure this out. I don't feel so stupid now.
    If you are like me, that sensor really helps, so if you carry cargo or pets, etc. in the back, remember that just barely touching that little tiny button on that little black box can turn off your sensors. Don't waste 3 days + like I did :) :confuse: