Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Mountaineer door locks

tom9121tom9121 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Mercury
Door lock issue, the electric door locks do not work when the ignition is off, they do work fine when the key is on and whrn the car is running. Any thoughts??

Comments

• ghonghon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. It has electric locks with 2 issues. 1) When using the remote to unlock it kinda goes click .. click, click but only the drivers door unlocks. 2) Using either driver or passenger switches, all unlock except the driver side back door only goes up part way.
  • drjensendrjensen Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. The door lock switch in the drivers door will work for locking the doors but will not work for unlocking them. I have replaced the switch panel in the door but that did not fix it. The door lock switch on the passenger side still works for both locking and unlocking all the doors. It is only the drivers side where the unlock for all the doors does not work - either with the key on or off.

Help.

Doug Jensen
  • thomas55555thomas55555 Member Posts: 1
    Doug,

I have a '97 Mountaineer with the same problem. The problem with my vehicle is that the rivet holding the locking actuator to the door panel fractured and then completely broke. When using the Lock/Unlock button on either door or on my key fob, the actuator does not have the leverage to lock the door, but it has barely enough leverage to unlock the door. Simply, an auto mechanic will drill out the broken rivet and replace it. The cost is around $25, which I happily will spend to fix the problem! Incidentally, the same problem happened with my Dad's Mercury Grand Marquis; he directed me to his mechanic who provided the solution.

Good luck!

Thomas
    The problem that I have is not with the actuators but the actual electrical switch - the left unlock does not work but the right one does. I replaced the left door switch panel and still the left unlock switch doesn't work while the right one does. There must be a fuse or relay that is out.

Doug
  • kevinw3kevinw3 Member Posts: 1
    Will the unlock button, keypad, or key partially unlock the driver's side door but not go up all of the way?

If this is the case, the problem is the door handle linkage is interfering with the unlock linkage which are both attached to the door latching mechanism. I adjusted my door handle linkage to raise it more above the door unlock linkage to remove this interference. If your answers to my questions are YES, then I can provide a step by step procedure to correct this.
  • kickboxer97kickboxer97 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the exact problem you described on my 2000 Mountaineer...could you please provide a step by step procedure to correct it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • shellrnshellrn Member Posts: 1
    hello, I'm having the exact same problem on my 2000 Mountaineer. If you could please provide a step by step instructions, that would be great. Thanks!
    I replaced the driver door switch assembly and the same problem remained - I can't unlock any of the door from the driver side. I continued to push the dealer as to what may be the cause and this is what they said: 1) a wire in the door harness must be broken somewhere or 2) the relay located near the rear left wheel well may to out. I have not tracked out the wire or located the fuse box. Sorry. I wish I could give you more. Better yet, I wish that I could get this stupid thing fixed.

Doug Jensen
  • jerrymercjerrymerc Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody seen drawings or some sort of diagram to fix this problem????

I removed the inside panel this morning but could not figure out exactly where the problem is.

Help
  • ghonghon Member Posts: 2
    At least I'm not the only one. Just getting ready to tear into the doors, so you're step by step procedure would be good to have on hand if you could send them to me.
    Hi Kevin, apparently a common problem with this vintage Ford. Hows your radio??
  • jlsullivanjlsullivan Member Posts: 1
    kevinw3,
    You have described my 97 explorer problem exactly. Please give me the details of how you fixed the door handle linkage. Thanks
    jlsullivan
    The actual door handle linkage becomes worn/sloppy.
    There is a vertical wire/bar directly from the door handle that can be adjusted upwards which will keep it out of the way of the lock linkage.

The interior of the door handle/latch is the problem.

JerryIrishMusic@Gmail.com if you are still having problems. Good luck. Jerry
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't offer "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum.Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.