Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    My 1995 4Runner is smoking at start-up. After the engine warms up the smoke goes away.

The Toyota mechanic is telling me that its the valve guide seals and to replace them it will be around $500. I can get it done cheaper through a local mechanic who has a pretty reputation for about $150 less.

Anybody have an opinion on whether or not I should stick with the Toyota mechanic or local guy?

Also anyone have experience with my problem. Both are telling me as long as it doesn't get any worse and I don't burn more than 1 quart between changes I shouldn't worry about it.
  • beefcakebeefcake Member Posts: 3
    I want to install an in-dash CD player in my '99 4Runner, but I'm having trouble trying to remove the big trim panel in the middle of the dash that surrounds the stereo, climate controls, etc. It's not held in by screws, and it won't budge very far when I try to pull it off. Does anyone know of a good way to get this stupid thing off without breaking it?
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    pstrong (or anyone else interested),

I'm not an industry expert, and I don't sell Toyotas, but I'm guessing the 2002 (mid-2002 redesign) 4Runner will not have a V-8 and will not be much bigger than it is now. I doubt it will have third-row seats or many of the features of the big SUVs (Land Cruiser, Sequoia). Toyota is trying its best not to have very many conflicts within its SUV line, so features on one would most likely not be found on another. I don't know what changes will come style-wise, but these changes won't come until maybe mid-2002. I read somewhere that the 2002 4Runner might be based on a new Tacoma platform, so if you can find pictures of that, it might help. Also remember that 4Runners are very truck-like. There are some days that I wish I had a more car-like ride (i.e. the Highlander), and other days I'm glad that I have this truck. Think about that as well as what you need your SUV for before you make any decisions and plop down that $$$.
    All those ramblings are opinion and the speculations come from what I've read in magazines and websites. If anyone can support or dispute any of this, please post a message so I can get my facts right.
  • javazoomjavazoom Member Posts: 6
    I recently installed an in dash DC player (2k SR5). Yes it is a bit tricky to remove the clips without damage, then there are wires connecting to controls etc behind the trim. I installed mine in about an hour. You actually have to remove the plastic piece connected to the center console between the seats, then remove the plastic piece for the sifter (they kind of lock into each other).
    I have install instructions from Crutch field, if you want a copy, send me your address to
    chrisbeaman@hotmail.com
  • jlandauejlandaue Member Posts: 1
    I bought a V6 SR5 4RUNNER 2000 last year. I voted for Toyota over any other brand of SUVS. The country where I came from, Colombia has plenty of mountains and roughed terrains. I remember the most popular SUV or Jeep on those times was the Toyota Land Cruiser, it was a very nice car. that was about 1970 to 1980 and still those vehicules are running.

Based on that experience, by February 2000 I decided to buy my 2000 4RUNNER. The three months of research on the WEB also help me to decide for my SUV, I was looking not just for a pretty, but a very reliable, well built SUV. I know it is a little expensive, $28,000 (not limited), but is worth it.

Since the time I bought it, I haven't had any problem at all. I live in Miami and have taken two trips to Tampa, one to Key West, Jacksonville, Tallahhasse and Georgia. My next trip will be to the Appalachians, New Jersey and New York and Niagara Falls, and I know tha my 4RUNNER will never let me down.

The response on the engine is very quick and strong even when loaded with 5 passangers plus cargo, and the ride is ver, very smooth.
    I could write pages and pages about my 4RUNNER... forever....
    My e-mail: jaime@jaimenet.com
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Interesting thing came over the fax today. It seems Toyota is dropping the price of the Runners. This is an extremely unusual thing to happen. They are sending us all new window stickers to reflect a $1000 price drop on the SR5 and $1500 on the Limited. Actually, I don't think the base price is dropping but they are making several things standard where they used to be options in the GI package.

Its going to be a few day before I have complete details but I thought I'd let you all in on it.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Does this mean the invoice price also drops?

Is there anything stopping a dealer showing customers the old stickers? I can imagine some dealer pockets the $1000 .
    Sometime in the next week or so, people from Toyota will be showing up with new sticker and physically removing the old ones and putting the new ones in. And yes, the invoice will reflect the new amount. We get this as a credit on our parts account which makes for an accounting nightmare. I'll be very lucky if I am paid correctly on any of these vehicles for the next couple of months.
    Has anyone had any problems with the hood "fluttering" while driving? I saw a product at flankersolutions.com and was wondering if such a product works and if anyone has tried it or anything like it. The shake is not really a problem, it's just a little disconcerting. Also, has anyone disabled their Daytime Running Lights? All I've done to try is remove the DRL fuse, but they still came on (I replaced it after the DRLs came back on). I'm reluctant and virtually against messing with the wiring of the headlight system myself. Also, are they in some way connected with the ABS, because they come together according to the brochure.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    No, the DRL is not connected to the ABS. It just the way that Toyota decided to bundle them together. Why not just leave the DRLs on? They're not that bad (we've had it here in Canada since 1989; required by law) and help others to see you from a distance either from the front, or behind via the rearview mirrors.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    Since we have some readers that have both, have folks that bought the Limited felt it was worth the extra money? Would you do it again? If you load it, the Limited starts to cost like a RX300.

Any feedback to help me decide? thanks
    I actually wanted to disable my DRLs because I have aftermarket bulbs in my headlights right now. So far, after 5 months, my bulbs are still working. However, I'm expecting them to burn out in less than 6 months. Although aftermarket bulbs do not last as long as stock bulbs, they last an even shorter time when the DRLs are always on.
    I too was considering a RX and a 4Runner, I think the 4Runner is more rugged and more capable off-road. Mostly though, it was the bubble-look of the RX that made me prefer the 4Runner. Now however, 4Runners are going down in price (see Cliffy1's recent posts), so it might actually be less expensive to get a loaded 4Runner Limited than a RX300. Think about what you will be using your vehicle for also. From what I've heard, the Lexus buying and service experiences are great.
  • dhatchettmandhatchettman Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in buying a 2001 SR5 with lots of options and of course want to get the best price possible. While researching pricing & options I have found several conflicts between Edmunds Web-site & Toyota's. I would think that Toyota's would be the best one to go by, but was just wondering if anyone else has noticed these discrepancies. I also checked MSN's Carpoint and their prices match Edmunds. Also the Build Your Own section of Toyota's Web-site uses different Codes.
    I haven't investigated this yet, but I'll bet it has to do with the recent price drop. Toyota didn't make a big deal about this and it may be that Edmunds. has not caught up yet. Yesterday, we removed every window sticker from our Runners and replaced them with updated ones with a different list of standard equipment and prices. The price of the SR5 dropped $1000 and the Limited went down $1500.
  • dhatchettmandhatchettman Member Posts: 2
    Well I have been researching the 4Runners for about a week now so I think my research started before the price drop was announced. I will check it again, but it was not just on the base unit but some of the options too.

Another question for you Cliffy; I want an SR5 with leather power seats and in dash 6 disc CD player. I went to a local dealer today and he told me the SR5 leather seats are manual not power and the Premium 3 in 1 stereo w/6 disc in dash CD is only available on the Limited. I am willing to pay for it, so it seems silly that I can't get those options on the SR5.

I wish you were located in Texas, I would buy my SR5 from you!
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    Please show me how to do it, the light cover looks like
    a push-pop type but I'm affraid to use a screw driver
    on the wrong edge.
  • wrxanswerswrxanswers Member Posts: 21
    I am thinking of buying a 4runner for my wife. It is a 97 limited. It has 37,000 miles and is very clean. I am unable to get past service records on it. I know Toyota's are typically good vehicles, but I wanted some opinions from some owners. Any thoughts and comment would be welcomed.
  • birkhojobirkhojo Member Posts: 1
    A dealer just told me that invoice on SR5's has been reduced only $800, even though MSRP has been reduced $1000. Cliffy, is this correct? Or am I being fed a line?
  • akuma007akuma007 Member Posts: 6
    If you think a 4Runner is worth the cash, think again. That beast is WAY too expensive!! The Toyota website places a 4Runner Limited at 37k!?!?!? YOu could get an MDX for 38 with:
    More power
    More room
    Navigation
    Sophisticated AWD
    Better build quality
    Touring package

If you are on Toyota's, skip the 4Runner and buy a Highlander. Sure it is probably not as capable SUV, but who actually uses one to the full extent of their capabilities. And it has more of everything the 4Runner doesn't have...
  • tokyomach4tokyomach4 Member Posts: 10
    While I think Toyotas are a bit pricey, I would not gage their true price from the Toyota web site. It clearly states these are msrp. We all know 4 runners can be had for a lot cheaper than that.
    You can`t compare a Highlander to a 4Runner. They are very different... Highlander is car based.. 4 Runner is truck based. If your going off road the 4 Runner is by far the better choice.
    I don`t think you can even compare the MDX to the 4 Runner....if you truely are going to use it off road.
    I like the MDX... I like the 4 Runner and the Highlander....it comes down to your needs. The MDX is probably the better choice for highway and light to medium off roading...but the price is going to be a heck of a lot more than a limited 4 Runner and if your going to be rough with your automobile I would always trust the Toyota when the road ends and the adventure begins.
    Using the Acura website, the MDX that I would buy would cost about $40K (not including any dealer markup because of the limited supply). I only paid $35K for my 4Runner Limited. With that extra $5K, I could get a TRD supercharger and have MORE power than a MDX. I could also get an aftermarket stereo system if, I wanted to,which I don't, with that leftover money. Also, 4Runners are more rugged, sometimes when I do think about other SUVs, I think I might be afraid that I might break them. Plus, I like the styling of the 4Runner much more than that of the MDX. That sophisticated AWD? It's only on when pressing the gas pedal. Sorry, that's not 4WD to me. The MDX has been called the "Honda Odyssey of Luxury SUVs", I don't know about anyone else, but one of the reasons I got a 4Runner was because I wanted cargo space without having to always drive my '97 Previa. And I think it'll take a couple of years, at least, before anyone can say that MDXs can match the build quality and reliability of 4Runners. Only time will tell if Honda has really learned about SUVs from rebadging Isuzus. I'm not saying the MDX is or will be a bad SUV, I'm just saying it's not for me.
    Short of a factory order, you can't get the in dash 6 disc on an SR5 and the SR5 has manual seats even with the leather. Factory orders on Japanese built vehicles are so complicated as to be prohibitive.
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the response Cliffy & Alotawatts. I used to drive a 1989 Pathfinder. But I also drove some early 90's 4runners. None of them had brakes as soft as the my 2001 runner. It's hard not to jerk the vehicle when you stop for red lights. It's hard to slow down without shaking the vehicle at the end of the stoping motion.
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    Anybody out there knows how to disable the DRL on the 2001 runners?
    TNX
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    What type of deals are people receiving on '01 LTDs w/ 2wd? Lately I have seen deals on the SR5s for $5000 off MSRP in Dallaa but nothing in relation to the LTDs.

I will purchase a SUV in the June/July time frame, but am also considering some of the following SUVs as well:

'01 Pathfinder LE
    '02 GMC Envoy
    '01 Jeep GC Limited

I know the 4Runner will change for 2002, but I love the look of the '01 especially since it has traction control and VSC. My struggle is between quality, features/equipment, safety and resale value (since we will be leasing). BTW, my wife likes the new '02 Envoy but I am not willing to be a 1st year guinea pig.

Help please......
  • june_suvjune_suv Member Posts: 1
    I am going to be in the market to lease a new SUV in May sometime. Current lease of 1998 Blazer is up at the end of May.

I have narrowed my search to the 2001 4Runner, Pathfinder, or Envoy 4x4s.

My price range is about $450/month with not alot down, probably $1000.

Does this seem reasonable for the SR5 with leather and sunroof and possibly a few other options?

thanks.
    Todd
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    A friend has a problem with her 4Runner after she disengaged 4WD. She said that after she disengaged the truck, she heard some engine sound and now her 4runner feels sluggish. Do you have to somehow be in Neutral to engage/disengage the 4WD for the 4runners? I thought that it was shift-on-demand, and thus you can shift to 4W and back without shifting to neutral.
    It shouldn't feel sluggish if she is doing it correctly. It will flash for several seconds and she should feel and hear a clunk but that is all. Is she just hitting the button on the side of the shift lever or is she trying to move the lever or hitting the differential lock button on the dash?
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Cliffy, thanks for the quick response.
    She just told me that she shifted it back to 2WD and now she feels the truck a little sluggish than before. No, she didn't hit the differential lock button on the dash, she just shifted the low range gears. It's her first time to engage to 4WD and the truck is still new (2 months). I think she's bringing it in for a check. I told her to ask her sales person to teach her how to use her 4WD.
  • 2short2short Member Posts: 1
    I am going to purchase a 4Runner this week. I have used competitive quotes to lower the price on a 2001 2WD SR5 with Upgrade Package 3, Extra Mile Option package A, Colorkeyed Running Boards and bodyside moulding, and replacing the cloth seats with leather for $26,859/final drive out of $28,750. I know this is a great deal, but is it too great to be true?
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    Great price if you are not trading in a car. Too good to be true ? You won't know until you sit down to sign on the dotted line........ and not find out there are additional fee's or that you are a Low-Ball victim. Good luck......let us know how you did....and where.
  • wildcatfan1wildcatfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 4runner. I have test drove several. Ranging from a 96 to 00 models. I just want some more info on what to look for when buying a used 4runner. The 96 had problems with the brakes. I think the rotors may have been warped. What other major problems have the 4runners had and what do I look for? I don't want to buy a lemon!
  • jphi1jphi1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm on my second 4 runner a 1999. thinking about a sequoia or land cruiser but both lack certain features i love on 4 ruuner, ie. handling. i am in search of better ride and seating. any idea when the next generation 4 runner comes out.

rgds

jim
    How about taking the Highlanders V-6 and placing that in the all new 4 Runner, It only makes sense. We keep saying the runner needs more power. That has to be the engine of choice or am I wrong? Any more ideas????????????????
    The HL engine is smaller than the Runner and produces barely more torque. The next generation Runner will probably have a variable valve timing version of the 3.4 liter engine we have now. That should boost both the torque and HP by enough to satisfy consumers.
  • wildcatfan1wildcatfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Are there any good deals on the 4runner right now? Is it better to buy or lease the 4runner with the option to buy? How are the markets doing right now? I thought about buying a used runner but if there is a less expensive way of purchasing one I would like to know.
    I guess I showed my ignorance. Thanks for the info. I am really looking forward to the new 4 Runner. They only seem to get better each time. I would not rule out getting a 2001 if the price was as deeply discounted as I suppose it will be when the new ones come out. I`El keep an eye open over here in Japan as they seem to release here first, but I suspect we are a long ways away from that date. Thanks again
    How come the 3.0 liter Highlander engine has much more horsepower and a bit more torque than the 3.4 liter 4Runner engine? I know variable-valve timing would improve performance, but I'm still wondering about those engine sizes. And can anyone make an estimate how much the 3.4 with VVT-i would cost...maybe in a few years...when I might be thinking of an engine swap, just maybe.
  • dhumdhum Member Posts: 5
    Motor Trend web site just updated the future
    vehicle section. It is now saying a new 4Runner
    is coming for 2002 derived from the Tacoma.
    Previously they have stated that a new 4Runner redesign is in 2003. This is now removed.

Is this the new new 4Runner that we have been waiting for? Is it coming this fall?
  • tclubtclub Member Posts: 22
    MT doesn't say much other than Tacoma derived. I'd bet we'd see a revised 4R before next winter. The new Blazer and GMC will be out soon. Toyota has to do an updated engine and dash.
    I've read that the 2002 4runner will be based on a new Tacoma platform, but that the redesign would probably not come until mid-2002.
  • mochalotionmochalotion Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 SR5 in Sept. 2000. I was looking for the manual transmission, because I've always driven a shift. Well, the salesperson told me that the manual transmission was being discontinued on all 4Runners from now on. Now that I have the manual transmission, I can't imagine what it would be like to have to shift, especially on a hill. I used to drive a Ford Ranger with a manual transmission and my worst experiences with it were getting stuck on hills behind slow people because there was quite a bit of rollback on it. I would think it would be the same with SUVs. While I do miss the shift, I'm glad I got the manual on the 4Runner.
  • evansje4evansje4 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience transferring a lease to another individual? It appears the best financial option to get out of my 2000 SR5 lease after moving into NYC. Any tips are appreciated.
  • c2112c2112 Member Posts: 1
    I have been researching invoice cost for 2001 Limited. I have seen different costs at different sites. Does the cost at Edmund's reflect updated information since the $1500 reduction in price by Toyota during the month of February?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd suggest taking a look throught the messages in Lease Questions - Ask Here and posting your question there. Good luck.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • gazelle1gazelle1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any information regarding the new model? How it might look? Media releases? When it will be released?
  • prizmaprizma Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new 4Runner SR5 4x4 two days ago and the dealer recommends me to buy also the "Protector", the package which includes "environemental overcoat paint and rust shield" and "interior protection system". He said the list price for that is $1056, predelivery discount price $700 and "my special price" is $425. According to him, they spray the car with this stuff which bonds with the car paint and also spray the bottom with some sort of "goo" and all that makes car much more rust proof, etc. Does anyone have an experience with the "protector" and/or any opinion on that matter?

Also, is the Toyota Extra Care Gold worth the money? They offered me 7yrs/75000miles care for
    $850 ($0 deductible) or $750 ($50 deductible).
  • dhumdhum Member Posts: 5
    I will be test driving the 2001 4Runner and Highlander next week and a buy decision will be made on one of these two vehicles. I would appreciate any comments from current owners or anyone who have test drove these vehicles their thoughts on the 4Runner engine and stereo system compare to the Highlander. I love the look of the 4Runner but it is lacking in features. Is the Highlander that much better with a 220hp and JBL stereo? Thanks in advance.
  • monkeemonkee Member Posts: 1
    I live in the southern california area and I'm looking for a 2001 2WD 4Runner with these options:JU,GK,CR and C7. Can anybody list their "out-the-door" price and the dealer from which it was purchased? Thanks!!
    Dianne at Carson Toyota is a frequent contributor here but can't post prices due to Edmund's policies against solicitation. Since you live local to her, you should contact her at dianne@earthlink.net