Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1997 ES300 -- keep or sell?

zippygaellezippygaelle Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lexus
I have a 1997 ES300 with low mileage (about 110k) -- my parents bought it new and I've had it for about a year. It needs about $3k of work, including replacing the motor mounts, and I'm debating whether to do the work and keep the car for a few more years or just sell the thing and start fresh with something new. I'd love to know what kind of repairs I can expect in the future -- the timing belt was replaced about a year ago so I should be good there. Thoughts?

Comments

• bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    If you can afford to get a new car then then something new.

What are your choices for getting a new car?
  • zippygaellezippygaelle Member Posts: 3
    Considering wagons and small SUVs -- need to be able to cart around 5 people and 2 dogs. Would prefer to wait a few years in the hope of having more hybrid options, but whether that makes sense depends in large part on what repairs I can expect on my Lexus in the next 2-3 years (30-50k miles) -- any insights are appreciated.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    How are you going to carry 5 people and 2 dogs if your going to keep your ES?

Same goes with small suvs.

If you want lexus you should consider getting the RX but the hybrid will be expensive and don't have much knowledge about hybrids.

Or there is the lexus GX should comfortably carry 5 people with 2 dogs.

BTW lexus is 1 of the most reliable vehicle or should I add ULTRA RELIABILITY.
  • ndavilandavila Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to tow my 1997 Lexus ES 300 all four wheels on the ground? I,ve heard that you can and you can't.Can you shed some light on this problem?

Noe
This discussion has been closed.