Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q5

1235»

Comments

• I am thinking about:

1. Volvo XC60
    2. Audi Q5
    3. BMW X3
    4. Merc GLK 350
    5. Infiniti EX35
    6. Nissan Murano
    7. Lexus RX 350

I know the above are not all in the same league but I like their looks and what they offer for their price. I am also considering the following:

8. Audi A3 TDi Diesel
    9. Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
    10. Volvo V70

Any ideas on any of these? Which has the best reliability? I don't want to be spending hundreds of dollars in repairs or have the car be in the shop with the service dealers unable to figure out what is going wrong and me left without a car to drive. This is the primary reason why I want to buy a new car - great reliability.

Thanks and regards,
    Gaurav
  • Gaurav,

If your No. 1 concern is great reliability and low maintainance costs over many years, and you intend to own your vehicle beyond the warranty period, I would cross off all of the European vehicles on your list. That said, IMO the most desirable choice would be the Audi Q5, but only if you keep the car within the warranty period. I love the looks, performance, handling, winter traction and interior craftsmanship that Audi's give you, but they are expensive to maintain when the warranty expires (I've owned two of them). But I think most would agree that the same advice applies to Mercedes, BMW's and Volvo's, in general. If you're frugal, and plan to keep your vehicle for many years, look to the Japanese makes.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new small luxury SUV (like a X3, Q5 and RX 350) recently. If you are interested in sharing your story, please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012. Please send your contact info, the name of the make/model you bought and a few examples of models that you also considered.
  • I currently own a '10 Q5, and I thought I shared my experience with the car since I'd taken delivery of it--about 2 years ago.
    First and foremost, I have to say, I like this car a lot. Great handling, and immaculate interior are just to name a few.

That being said, there's a huge disappointment, a down-side, if you will. The rear seat shudders.
    Now, it does not affect the safety of the vehicle, but it's annoying enough. Within the 2 years--1 year and 9 months to be exact--I'd brought it back to the dealership for the same problem for 7 times. From shuddering, the rear seat started to squeak. After my last visit, it came to square one. Squeaking noise is gone, but shuddering is still there.
    The technician that had helped me told me the rear frame of the Q5's are to blame. He told me the rear seat is going to shudder and there's nothing they could do about it.
    Moreover, he'd told me that Audi had recently re-designed the frame which lessened the shudder, but it's still going to be there.
    I'm coming home and thinking, 'I'd paid more than $50,000 on a car, it should be better than this.' Even cars that cost less than half the Q5 don't shudder.

Come to think of it, I should have exercised the Lemon Law and made Audi buy back the car when I'd had the chance.
    Now I'm stuck with a car that shudders in the rear seat. What cost me about $55,000 is worth about $30,000--according to the dealer's offer. Honestly, I don't know what to do with it anymore. I'm sick and tired of bringing it back and forth between home and the dealership--about 40 miles away. What's worse is that when my warranty expires, I'll either have to learn to live with the annoying noise from the back, or pay a lump of money trying to fix it.
  • You got a bad one.......:-(

Many friends and my wife have the 2010 Q5.......hers is the Prestise Plus (loaded).

Has never had a rattle or anything that would cause her to bring it in for service other than the required oil change and scheduled maintenance. She had 3 RS 350's and got the Audi and a 2012 GLK in FL. She said she would take the Q5 over all of them.

Now after saying that, she will get a new car this summer and we will be getting her an A6. After all the years with SUV's....it's time for a sedan.

Now my A8L............no better car on the road in that price range, not even the S550 which I was not impressed.

Everything JMHO.
  • nisko81nisko81 Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 Q5 3.2 Prestige S-Line and I have never heard of any such problem.
  • mmhblgmmhblg Posts: 6
    Looks like a great list. I've owned a Volvo V70 for five years now and have had no trouble at all. I've found the routine maintenance to be reasonable ($550 for the 60K) and would buy a Volvo again in a heartbeat!
  • chrisch70chrisch70 Posts: 8
    Living in Baltimore.

I have my Q3 almost 33 months now and it happened so far once...
  • I have this every once in a while. It is very very disconcerting. I also have a lag when trying to acelerate from a stop. ... also rarely..

So these are unpredictable which makes it all the worse. The stopping issue is really jarring. I always get a comment from any passengers. I have seen other mention of this online.

I mentioned it to the audi dealer and of course they saw nothing on the first service. I think it is due to having 8 speeds.. I think this is overrated for engineering. I think the transmission is not very good.

You get very powerful acceleration sometimes... hard to predict when...other times it is moderate. then you get that lag... Then you get the jolt when it stops.

I am not loving this car. Overpriced due to refinement..but I don't find it so refined. Finally getting used to the combersome controls... still not great. Wish it had streaming of bluetooth sounds other than phone. ( A2DP). You get that in inexpensive fords..

but I digress
  • plupplup Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2010 Q5. The difference was my dealership replaced the rear seat frame under warranty - no questions asked, end of issue. I agree with you that when we pay this amount for a vehicle there should not be an issue or it should get fixed.
1235»