Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not that I would want one.

Bob
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I would think so. In Atlanta, when I check on-line to see what dealers have, about 90% are 2 wheel drive. I know we are wimps, but I guess that is the make up of the market in Atlanta, GA.
  • carlmoorejrcarlmoorejr Member Posts: 23
    I bought a used 01 SR5 4WD 4,000 miles in N.W.ARKANSAS for $25,995.00 great suv excellent price.4th TOYOTA I have owned.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    Any ideas where i can find info on the 03 turbodiesel 4runner engines. Here in the tropics is what you ride on.
    Any clues the lexus gx470 is the prado (for the rest of the world)???????????????????
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Yes there will definitely be a 4x2 version of the new 4Runner.

My best info on the Prado is that it will be a unique design that pulls elements from both the new 4Runner and the GX 470. I have an illustration posted here that may give you an idea of what the Prado may resemble:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A18A24CF

Hope that helps. –TB
    Yes! I wish Toyota would offer turbodiesels for their US-spec trucks and SUVs.

Bob
    thx tbcreative for the pics.
    In the UK the Prado is marketed as the Land Cruiser Colorado, whereas the regular (our) Land Cruiser is marked as the Land Cruiser Amazon.

Bob
    standard diesel engine is 122 hp, d4d diesel engine is 165 hp and a lot of fun, i wish 03 runners come with the d4d engine.
  • tcmilrctcmilrc Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 99 4-Runner. Love It. Looking forward to seeing the 03 version. We are a 2-Toyota Family (Avalon also). Love these Cars.
  • lydhanlydhan Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has pic's of the 2003 4-runner. I am not sure if I should just buy the 2002 or wait for the 2003. I am also wondering if anyone knows if they will continue to have a sport edition(the one with the hood scoop). Any info would be appreciated.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    They look like the Chevy TB or Envoy. Cookie cutter look. They seem to cut and not rounded enough. Just my opinion...

The rest of it looks g-g.
    Looking at the rear of the blue 2003 4Runner it reminds of the second generation 4Runner. Also I noticed that the windshield wiper is off the glass when it is not on. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a roll down window. My bets are it will roll down.

As far as the overall look, I guess it will have to grow on me. I know I hate the plastic on the green 4Runner, hopefully that is just a "ugly" option on the car. People who want ugly can choose that option.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    By looking at the seal around the window, If it does anything, it will roll or power down.

Can't see how it will flip open. Could not make out any latch brackets on top of window.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    definitely will be power down. That's why the window looks that way. Always has, always will. Cool!
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    I like the looks of the current 4runner sport edition hood scoop. I understand the 2003 will also be available in this model. Just wondering if the hood scoop actually functions or is it closed off and cosmetic only?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The scoop is purely cosmetic. I had thought that it may improve air flow in the engine compartment, but it is sealed off.
    What about 4Runners with the dealer-installed supercharger? Is the scoop functional on those models?

All (current) Subarus that are turbocharged, have a functional hood scoop, which directly feeds the turbo.

Bob
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    For all you late-comers, just scroll up a few times to read the answers to most of your questions.

Superman5, yes those are the 2003 4Runner pictures, not the 2004, although since the design won't change by then, I suppose technically, this is the 2004 too. ;o)

Dmetzger, yes the new 4Runner will retain the rear liftgate with power window, like on current 'Runners.

4wdisfun, I've got another little treat for you, but I'm not sure if this is the Prado, or another shot of the 4Runner from Mag-X.com:

http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie_j.html

It looks identical to the '03 4Runner pics we've seen, but it has the current 4Runner wheels. It looks like a Sport Edition...note the hood scoop!
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Thanks for the pic's...Looks strange?? Kind of like a Rav 4 in the front and a cross between a Pathfinder/Trailblazer in the rear?? I will have to check the vehicle out and form an opinion, in order to fall in love with this veh?? So far, I am lukewarm:)

tbcreative, thanks for the kind thoughts and do hope you are enjoying the Phoenix heat...Here in Seattle, we are in the midst of drizzle and the 60's. Dry ice, huh??
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I translated some of the information, and they are calling it the "surf": "photograph of the new model surf ". I wonder if they mean the Hi-Lux.

Jim Press recently said that Toyota is considering an SUV smaller than the 4Runner but still body on frame. They will probably use the Hi-Lux Surf for this.

If you go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr you can paste text into the window and translate. It's literal, but you can get a pretty good idea.

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We have been advised that Toyota has an "information embargo" on all of the pictures we've been seeing and hearing about in these forums. Not even the dealers have seen the pictures yet and they too will have to wait until an official release date before they have access to pictures, specifications and so on.

Therefore, I am asking that we all suspend any direct links to pictures of the new 4Runners. Thanks for understanding!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I think the genie is already out of the bottle. Most dealers may not have these yet, but I can tell you one dealer that now does. :D
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Make that Two, Cliffy.

I printed some off and took them over to my local Toyota Dealership. The salesman were like flies and I was the big fresh Terd! Couldn't Swat them away!
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Toyota.

tidester
    Host
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    I really don't understand where you are coming from. If the pictures were taken illegally from Toyota's marketing materials or by someone that had trespassed onto Toyota property...then they would have a point. But if these pictures were taken of a vehicle that was on a public road, how can they issue an embargo? This is America...isn't it?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I hate it for them but the cat is out of the bag. Some of us have them downloaded and anyone can post them on many sites all over the net anytime we want. What are they gonna do, sue us for posting a picture that was taken in a public place. Sorry, that's not legal. They should not have let these people take these vehicles out on the road if they didn't want pictures taken of them.
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Or you could just copy/paste the web address and enter it into the Translate a Web page section.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    I will be showing them off to my dealer and to my co-workers who want to see them. I understand that Toyota wants them a secret, but you should't be driving pre-production vehicles around and not expect to get snapped by the camera.

Too bad for them. Besides it will only incent us to buy the vehicle when it comes out.
    I really don't understand where you are coming from.

Let me just say that it is neither my decision nor my judgement. Personally, I'd think that with Ford releasing pics of their '03 Expedition today it would behoove Toyota to respond in kind.

Oh, well.

tidester
    Host
    Wouldn't you have to sign something on disclosure for it to be legal anyway? How do they expect to enforce this embargo. Celebrities can't even escape the wall-crawling photo nuts.
    Nothing personal of course.
    I'm amazed that Toyota has been able to keep the new Runner so secret this long.
  • farrouckfarrouck Member Posts: 4
    to rward99, the 4Runner's name in Japan is Hilux-Surf, so it is the Japanesse 4Runner in the MagX picture, and that confirms that the pictures are from the real thing. I wonder what's the deal with the pictures Toyota?, since you will release the new truck within a month? I am a little disapointed by the new side styling (too raked C-pillar and squared fenders like the trailblazer), lets hope the interior is an improvement and that the mechanical issues are too. Some of us were expecting too much I think.
  • norwesternernorwesterner Member Posts: 94
    I've got to agree with you, the side shot and the front shot don't do much for me at all. The grill area is turned down like a frown, most every other grill is wider at the top or rectangular. This one just doesn't look "happy" to me.
  • mbarrerambarrera Member Posts: 2
    Geeez...Embargoed Photos?

Toyota has gone wacky! I sent the photos to everyone also...my buddy at the local Jeep dealership was very pleased to receive them.

Another buddy works at a Toyota Service Department. He showed it to the salesmen and the message above is correct...the dealers really hadn't seen 2003 4runner photos yet.

Everyone already downloaded them...it's too late now. They shouldn't be upset...I think it's all planned anyway...hell could they put a bigger billboard in the parking lot with the 4runner...that semi never stood out huh?

I'll trade my photos for a $5,000 rebate check towards a new runner. :-)

Mark
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    #2149 of 2239 2003 4Runner by steve_ HOST Jul 25, 2002 (12:21 pm)
    Our editors are excited about it, but they are under a news embargo until September, so they can't talk about it :-)

I think the above post explains it. Edmunds must play nice with Toyota if the editors want to keep being invited to pre-release test drives. I'm happy to have seen the pictures but I also understand Edmunds' concerns.
    I have Photoshop,

I've copied all the images (in case Edmunds yanks those links!) and pasted them into Photoshop documents, so I can make PDFs if needed, to e-mail to folks!

Bob
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    There is a Toyota dealer in CA that has them posted on their site... Better hope corporate doesn't find out about that one!! LOL
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I hear it has a booming bass, engine sludge and a *clicking* noise problem.......just kidding.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I see you haven't read any of the last 50 posts on this board. All we have been talking about is the new pictures floating around.
    Should we re-post the links—AGAIN! Hehe...

Bob
  • muskadinemuskadine Member Posts: 19
    I copied some of those '03 spy images into my computer as well. The styling updates are subtle-which is appropriate for a vehicle that's aged as gracefully as the 4Runner.

Now it looks like we'll be in the market for a new Runner long after this generation is off the lots.

Overall: I give the new look a solid 9 out of 10.

muskadine
    Now that I have had time to live with the pictures, I can give you my opinion on the look of the new 4Runner. First off, I like the current 4Runner, reminds me of a 7/8 Landcrusier. The front of the new 4Runner looks like a RAV4, which I guess can be described as cute. On the side of the car, the angled rear pillar to me is not very becoming. I like the side rear pillar of the Lexus GX470 better. My biggest concern is the gray plastic siding of the SR5 model. To me it cheapens the look. The style of the Limited seemed much better. At a angle I can see some resemblance to the old 4Runner, which to me is good. The SUV looks lower to the ground. Overall, it looks like a Soccer Mom SUV. On looks I give it a 4 out of 10.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    about the space in the interior. I hope there is increased leg room in the front, more than the 02's. Do you all think that the 4R looks wider? To me it seems that it still has a narrow look, which I didn't like before. I also hope Toyota didn't skimp out in the interior department with blandness. It also seems that the angled side pillar is just a que from the Seqoia.
  • muskadinemuskadine Member Posts: 19
    Good point about the interior. Since I haven't seen any numbers yet, I too am interested in seeing if the new 4Runner's interior dimensions have become a bit more spacious.

While I don't think that the 4Runner should be made much bigger than it is now, I would like the rear seat to be able to comfortably fit three normal sized people. Hopefully Toyota has discovered a way to increase the usable hip and shoulder room without making it necessary to make the new version eight inches wider. Unneccessary size increases will negate the 4Runner's nimble feel.

muskadine
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    The pictures were not taken on public property; it was on Toyota property. The people that were there (my guess) were most likely supposed to be under some kind of agreement not to disclose anything. I would assume that the trailer was for transporting the vehicle on the public highways.

Now why it had to have a California license plate on it is anyone's guess :-)