Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Fuel System

timothy3timothy3 Member Posts: 1
my 94 ranger has a fuel smell, no leaks, could it be the fuel pressure regulatorl

Comments

• joel20joel20 Member Posts: 1
    My 94 Ranger leaks when refueling. It apears it is where the filler tube goes into the tank. Any idea what is involved with the repair regarding parts replaced and cost. It seems this is the type of repair the dealer should do and was it ever a recall item? Thanks
  • 6969chadp6969chadp Member Posts: 1
    I cant get gas into my 2008 ranger. the dealership doesn't know why. does anyone have any suggestions as what i could do. they have replaced the entire fuel system and now I'm stuck
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Did you buy it new?

If so, start talking to them about the Lemon Law of your state. After something like 3 or 4 attempts to fix a single problem under warranty, if they cannot fix it, they are required to buy the vehicle back from you.

I would think a little discussion about this - you will get some concentrated action on repairing your truck.
  • pgividenpgividen Member Posts: 1
    I have 1994 ranger with a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine. It set for two weeks and then started running rough intermittently at first and now all the time. It will not idle I have to ref it up to keep it started. It smells a little like gas as well. I have changed the fuel filter and add gas treatment to the half full tank. I have replaced the plugs and plug wires. I have check the two coil packs, throttle position sensor and the mass air flow sensor with a meter. I was told it may be a vacuum leak. Any suggestions on how to identify where the leak may be or what else I might try?
  • micbarmicbar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ranger with a 2.3 L engine. Recently the check engine light came on and it hesitates on acceleration now. They checked the code (P0002) and it says....Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Range Performance. How do I fix this? Thanks
  • 78gearhead78gearhead Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have a 2005 FOrd Ranger--driving down the highway the engine just quit for no apparent reason--after a few minutes of just hanging out it restarted and on my way I went. On the way back home it quit again--this time no restart. The engine spins but wont start as if no fuel or no spark. GOt the truck home and it started right up. Next day I changed the original equip fuel filter---ran for about 4 miles parked it next morning ran across the parking lot and shut down again. Now it is back in the drive and I can not simulate the problem.

Any ideas?
    I've not read about Rangers having this problem, but for other autos, these symptoms can be caused by faulty Crank Position Sensor/s.

When this sensor fails, it totally shuts the car down. Very dangerous if you are traveling at high speed. In GM cars (Cadillac) they act exactly as you said, and they also do NOT set a check engine failure code many times. So, 'pulling the codes' will not even show what happened.
  • Alan_BAlan_B Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Ford Ranger was running fine, until I got custom work done to it. “Air bags, suspension”. The Ranger will crank but it is not getting any gas. The fuel pump and cylinders are not working. If I give the pump direct power it works. All fuses have been checked. The Ranger will start with starter fluid for a couple of seconds then die. It has no alarm. The gas tank was never dropped. So it has to be something that controls the gas pump and cylinders.
  • baseline11baseline11 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Joel20,
    I hope you got your Ranger fuel problem fixed by now. I just bought a '94 and the night I picked it up and filled the tank, it leaked. I suspect the filler neck and I'm curious on what is all involved with it's replacement. Can you share your experience please?
    Thanks,
    Base -----
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    If anyone else has this problem, the tube will have to be replaced. It costs about $3-400. Had to do it when the independent garage that replaced my fuel pump damaged the existing one. Of course, it was not his fault. Took it to a Ford dealership and cost was about the same as independents quoted.
    BTW, it you replace the fuel pump, go ahead and replace the sending unit for gas gauge. Garage did warn me that pulling the old fuel pump out of the tank damages the sending unit for fuel gauge 90% of the time.
  • jj_ford_manjj_ford_man Member Posts: 1
    I have no ideal if it is when my truck is idealing or if it is when driving down the road but when i pull off the top of the breather it has oil or oil and gas both sitting in the breather and i would like to know why it does this My Truck Is Carbureted
  • billlybobbilllybob Member Posts: 2
    there is a fuel pump saftey shut off switch on floorboard passenger side in right corner at carpet edge line look for red button poped up push it back down then try to start.if that dont work try resetting computer disconnect neg side of battery for 5 min reconnect try starting
  • billlybobbilllybob Member Posts: 2
    you have what is called blow by the rings are stuck or shot compression gets into the oil pan and pushes preshure into oil pan.try 20w 50 oil its thicker and wont past rings as easy
    Or, might need a new PCV valve, or the line to PCV valve is plugged or kinked. Something to check first.
  • bow64bow64 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 ford ranger, it has a new feul pump and relay, i still can not get it to work or to fire is there a sensor or something that shuts down the system.
    Yes, there is a 'rollover sensor' that shuts down the fuel pump.

It is on the firewall, inside cab, passenger side, just to the right of the tunnel, just under the top end of the carpet.

I think there is a button that should be pushed in. If popped out, it cuts the power to fuel pump.
  • scottierockerscottierocker Member Posts: 1
    The fuel pump in my '92 Ranger will not engage. I have reset and also 'jumped' the inertia switch, replaced the relay and the 30A fuse, replaced the fuel pump (3x), and the filter (just because) and still no dice. I have power at the harness, but none at the pump?!?!
  • wigwomanwigwoman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ranger XLT 4X4, the O/D OFF light is flashing. Does this mean my transmission is going out? I had the transmission rebuilt in 2007 and I can't afford that expense again. Please help! Flipping my wig over a ranger
  • doch1880doch1880 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Ford Ranger. I was getting about 24 MPG hwy but now only get about 16-18. I have replaced the vacuum sensor for the fuel injector but it didn't help. The check engine light came on before part was replaced and is still on. What else could be wrong?
    Well, the computer is trying to tell you. Have the 'code/s' pulled for free at Autozone, etc. The code and short definition many not tell you exactly what is wrong, but it will give some indication.
  • 1987ranger1987ranger Member Posts: 2
    i have an 1987 ford ranger i cant get the fuel pump to work i put a new one in new relay and bypassed the shut off switch still nothing ive been told the is another pump in the tank 1 is that true 2 how do i get my pump to work everyone i know ins out of ideas i can bypass everything and the pump still works it pumps but the truck isnt sarting i even replaced the ignition control moduel and nothing NEED HELP!!!!
  • dumaradumara Member Posts: 1
    hi there could someone help ihave a 2004 ford ranger xlt thunder 4x4 pick up the problem is that it cranks but does not kic in ,i have had to change the ignition moduel nd par it up with the pump but still thers nothin all the electrics work pliz help
  • bobbiedbobbied Member Posts: 1
    have 2000 ford ranger 2.5 motor, it will not run right, have had codes redone ,did not work, when driving the truck will bog done and act like it is not getting any gas and you have to pump like crazy to get it to take fuel, may run very few miles before it does it again. will not idle unless u revive up motor like crazy to get it to accept fuel. have put new fuel pump, filter don.t know what else to do. please help
  • eggy2000rangereggy2000ranger Member Posts: 1
    4x4 not working ,4-hi light comes on but not 4-lo, when puting in 4hi i hear something engage or noise ? but no 4x4 what steps should i take i am mechanicly enclined">
  • browneyes2blubrowneyes2blu Member Posts: 16
    i have a 94 exstended cab,3.0 auto,with overdrive,2 wheel drive.ive replaced,plugs,wires,coil,cap, roter button,fuel filter,and mass air flow,and also cut off pipe after the y,thinking it may be converter.still drive for a few miles,shut it off,then it will not start up for like two hours........help.
    Bad fuel pump?
  • johannronjohannron Member Posts: 1
    but on my way home it stalled, drove awhile and stalled when I slowed down. Parked It. Came back the next day and it started and ran good until I put it in gear, then it would die, did this over and over. Had it towed home, now it wont start. Turns over but wont run. Ideas
  • popeye2upopeye2u Member Posts: 2
    Inertia Switch Testing
  • hunter1146hunter1146 Member Posts: 1
    1996 ford ranger will shut off fuel nozzel when filling tank can only fill real slow checked the main hose to tank seems ok what next help please
  • andrewjayandrewjay Member Posts: 4
    Hunter, i have the same year of ranger and the same issue, you can only pump gas slow. i would really like to know why it does this, Also, Hunter, do you have the gas cap that you have to wait for the hissing to stop before you can remove it?
  • fordgirl77fordgirl77 Member Posts: 15
    I have the same problem smelling gas when I open my rear window. As far as I can tell there is no leak, just a bad smell of gas. So I have to keep my window shut. And my truck idles weird going down the road like it wants to stall. And when I stop at a red light it acts like it wants to die. Everything replaced. Is there a recall? Or should I say there should be a recall..
  • coolbillfrogcoolbillfrog Member Posts: 1
    having same problem with 2004 ranger, did you get yours fixed? what was your solution? thanks
  • tungatetungate Member Posts: 1
    every thing on truck works but the gas hand. when first time the key comes on the hand will g o over past the full and then it goes slowly to empty mark and stays there. fuse is not shot.
  • dsm2dsm2 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I had the same problem with my 1986 Ford Ranger for 7 years now. The low pressure fuel pump seems to be acting up so I had to drop the fuel tank and disconnect what you called the "main hose" and filler tube to the tank. What I found inside that "main hose" was another smaller hose which you cannot see unless you actually take out the filler tube (mine has three screws and a hose clamp) that is actually the main hose and is supposed to be connected to the filler tube that slides into the secondary safety hose but it was disconnected (partially blocking both tubes causing the fuel to be pumped partially through that secondary safety hose (no fuel should be running through that hose while fueling up) and the main hose which in turn caused the fuel to back up in the filler tube and shut off the gas station fuel pump unless they set the pump to pump gas slowly. If I knew there was another tube inside that visible outer tube I would have been able to understand better of what could be wrong. The only reason I found the answer to this problem is because I had another problem. I guess that outer tube protects the inner tube. I don't know how the inner hose came off the filler tube but I could see the outline of a clamp of some kind but it was gone. I checked the inside of the fuel tank and found nothing. maby it was made out of a plastic and just disintegrated in the fuel tank. Anyway I just put a hose clamp on it since their is enough room inside the secondary hose.
  • mekanikosmekanikos Member Posts: 1
    You might replace the coil pack. I had a similar problem with my '04 ranger, and after a huge run-around with the dealer and my mechanic playing with fuel pumps/relays/fuses, the mechanic called a friend who told him to replace the coil pack (70 dollars) and ... voila - good as new. (1500 other dollars and two fuel pumps later though) (blarggh)
  • punkboypunkboy Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the # 5 and 6 fuel injectors but am still experiencing a fuel leak. What could be causing this as i have taken off the lower manifold twice to see if I have tightened them properly but i still have a fuel leak. I am an apprentice mechanic and have not run into this issue before hope you can help
  • aries1950aries1950 Member Posts: 2
    On the passenger side under dash board is a relay switch or something like a relay switch push in on the top of it I think it is green on top and it will start.Mine does that all the time and this is my fix..
  • 1speedy1speedy Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I got a 94 4 Cycle with 8 plugs.It cranks good and drives good.I bought it used.The odmitor reads 276k I was told the motor was replaced.It runs and iddlese good for about 30 to 40 seconds then it just chokes its self out if I don't keep the gas on.If I keep it reving for about 2min,it will rev up faster,I let go of the gas and then no problems then.IV had it at a mechanic Shop,they said its cause its got a lot of miles.The 98 motor that was suposably put in it suposably only had 50k miles on it.It runs excellent.I just wanna be able to get in it and take off.I look like a damn idiot reving my truck before I have to go somewhere.Can somebody please give me a clue on what to do next.IV done a complete tune up and replaced fuel filter.
  • physmathelectrphysmathelectr Member Posts: 2
    A bad inertial switch, autoparts calls it fuel cutoff, can cause either stalling on the road, or failure after being parked. My local dealer tried to sell me a second new fuel pump after the one installed in my old location failed to fix the problem. I specifically asked the service manager if there was some kind of switch related to motion because I was able to push start it. He told me he didn't know of any. Most or all fords have had this collision safety feature for more than 10 years.
    edited November 2011
    And, that thing has a reset button on it, if it should be tripped. (It 'should' only trip when the truck hits something or turns over. This thing then shuts the fuel pump down.) It's just behind the carpet, above the passengers left foot.

P.S. If your are push-starting your truck, I don't think the fuel cutoff switch is your problem. If it gets tripped, you have to reset it. Now it does have wiring to it, and I think a relay also drives it. All these could be giving a problem.
  • physmathelectrphysmathelectr Member Posts: 2
    With a hacksaw and screwdriver I was able to inspect the old switch. It is simple to bypass/test the switch when you are having problems. Pull the connector off the terminals of the switch and jump the driverside and center socket of the connector. A large paperclip might work, but something larger surely will. Since my problem was intermittent, I will not know if my problem is solved for a while. I did find corrosion on the contacts inside the switch, and there was enough slop to move off/onto this area with minor vibration, which could cause intermittent behavior.

I am still trying to figure out why the dealer only wanted about one third the $130 autoparts price for the switch.

Fuseable links, magnetic relays, and mechanical switches are about the only things that could be motion/vibration sensitive, and humidity/corrosion/debris wasn't a consideration in my case. I don't know of any other electrical components that cause intermittent problems, so it has/had to be mechanical(like the inertia switch or something else).

The third socket on the connector kills the pump when connected to the center socket. Pushing the reset button opens this circuit at the same time it closes the other.
    Find one at a salvage.
  • fordranger01fordranger01 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Ford Ranger. I've seen posts with this problem, but didn't see a reply. When I fill the tank, it clicks off at 9 gal. I let it go to empty. Mileage is about 224 miles. I fill again and it will click off again at 9 gal. The pump was replaced last year. After that was when the problems began. When it clicked off after a fill, the gauge would only read 3/4 and eventually 1/2 - it progressed to this. They replaced the float valve a couple of weeks ago and the gas gauge started dropping and now only reads 3/4 full. The mechanic doesn't know what to do. Any ideas? I'm currently on empty with the light on - I'm thinking of letting it run out believing that there are still 7 more gallons left in the tank. Maybe once I use all of the gas, the valve will operate properly??????????
    If the rubber hose that goes from the gas cap area to the tank is 'messed up', the tank will not fill all the way.

Don't understand the 'replaced the float valve' comment. Usually, the fuel pump and 'float' for the gas guage are on the same unit and are replaced together. Especially since it's not easy to drop the tank to get to them. I think the guy that put the new 'float valve' in messed it up, otherwise your gauge should work. But the problem with the rubber hose is still there, if you cannot totally fill the tank.
  • fordranger01fordranger01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply - the mechanic had checked the hose first - tightened the clamp was about it, I believe. Since the pump was working fine, hence, just the float valve replacement alone.
  • Marcustyler1Marcustyler1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 model ford ranger 4.0 4x4 I can get it to start and run maybe 3 or 4 seconds if I try to touch the gas when it starts it instantly dies when it does start for those few seconds it idles ruff it was running fine sometimes if I'd go to go up a hill it would miss if I let off the gas and pushed it back it would run fine again I have changed the spark plugs put a new fuel filter and a new mass air flow sensor I have checked the relays and fuses in the fuse box under the hood and In the truck I have checked the relay and the little switch on the passenger side in the floor board that people say turns off the fuel pump I hooked up a code reader all I can get is a code p1000 which I googled and it just says that's a code that the test ain't completing and I got one that was like a b1869 or something it just was saying something about a air bag does anyone know anything I could try I've took all the plugs and wires and made sure there firing and they r does anyone have a clue what my problem could be plz help thank you