Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar - Denso Navigation System Problems

bdimondbdimond Member Posts: 7
Hi,

I have a 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE with the Denso Navigation System. Earlier in the year the system stopped reading the Navigation disc that came with the car giving the Error "This is not a MAP DVD"

In an effort to get the Navigation portion working for a business trip, I performed a disc copy of the original to a DVD+RW disc. The system still didn't work. That's when I did a stupid thing...

I inputted the diagnostic code into the head unit and tried to do a software update from the original disc. It attempted the update but erred saying it couldn't find the firmware file.

Since then the screed is completely dead. The air climate control is in some sort of default mode defogging the windshield. The LCD status window below the screen flashes "C" the "50" then "51".

I have tried swapping out the Nav/Audio/Climate screen assembly in the cabin AND left the positive lead off the car overnight. To my surprise neither action worked.

Here are my questions:

1. Where is the physical location of the firmware for this system is it in the display unit or in the trunk?

2. Is there a diagnostic sequence to turn on or unlock the navigation system.

3. What are the tried solutions (and their associated costs) to this
problem?

My thanks to you in advance.

Bob

Comments

• redarmyredarmy Member Posts: 1
    Hello Bob

I have the same problem as you, did you manage to resolve this issue.
  • kmw70kmw70 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure this one out? I am having the same problem however, my DVD will not eject. And the defroster are on full blast with no way to adjust.
  • brokedownkittybrokedownkitty Member Posts: 7
    Hello, while I didn't get too much of the disc read error message, out of the blue my nav stopped working, blasts defrost, and displays same error codes.. Wondering if any advancements were made to fixing the issue. Mine has been broken for over a year now, just don't drive it when it's too hot or too cold! :confuse:
    I've been told to replace the NAV control module head unit located in the trunk compartment on the left above the disc changer... haven't found any after party manufacturer to sell this piece other then dealership for $4000. The car is hardly worth that. I wouldn't care if I could figure out a way to control the cliamate controls with out the nav unit... Please let me know if any developments made!
  • bdimondbdimond Member Posts: 7
    Well so far not much happening with this. Sorry I haven't responded to the forum inquiries.

So far, I can tell that the climate control unit goes into a default mode (air on when hot outside heater on when cold outside) vented out the defrost ports, so it has been usable. From a system standpoint I an relatively certain my trunk unit problem lies in the DVD-ROM drive. But I am not sure how to address the issue.

I am opting to throw away this system, and replace it with a double din 7" navigation stereo that has AM/FM/DVD/SD/MP3 capabilities coupled with a dedicated digital climate control panel (you have to use a digital one).

I have installed the panel this past weekend, by mounting it in the navigation system frame and connecting the two cables from the ACU, located in the passenger's footwell area. I get heartbeat it displays outside and thrermostat setting temperatures. The blower unit can be controlled, and I can turn from all heat to all air. Unfortunately I cannot change the heat output (its either hottest or coldest depending on temperature setting), nor can I enable the rear defroster, or change where the air blows (although the LCD indicates what I select). I will continue to work the problem in my spare time then post with a resolution.

In the interim if anyone has questions, please put an email address in the post so when it is forwarded I may contact you directly.

Bob Dimond
  • kmw70kmw70 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I took mine to the dealer and they said they plugged in a Navigation Module and it worked fine. The cost - $4400. I can't pay that, not worth it. So I have been online searching salvage yards for the last 3 months or so. I found one (that was the right one) and they wanted $895 for it. So I said OK. Well, after a week and a half, no Module. I called them up and they said the one they have has a broken screen. I had other yards say they have it for $650, however I would ask for a picture to insure I am getting the right part and they come back and tell me it isn't the Module with the Nav in it.

Did the Dealer tell you that it is the unit in the truck? The Dealer didn't say (Navigation Control Module) but I assumed it was the unit in the dash. However, I have no power at the unit in the truck. Now I am second guessing.

I agree, if I only could get the climate control to work I would be happy. I will keep you posted on any new development.
    Yes, the controle module is in the trunk- the part that holds the DVD drive is what controls. This was told to me by a service tech- reliable, unsure?- I did not have them look at it, I just called in and tried to get information.
    I too researched salvage parts, I have found Ebay sometimes works- right now (which sparked my most recent searches) there is a nav module and screen set up for $1400 on Ebay for the x type... It may be an option. $1400 is a lot of cash though when the car values are plummitting.
    How much was the third party system in previous post? That seems like an alternative.
    It's hard to put money in. We hardly ever drive the it, we have another primary vehicle (a nissan- I highly recommend =)) and myhusband has a company car. I'd like to unload, but no one will buy for reasonable price. I'm not sure what to do...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, we recommend that people not post their email addresses to avoid exposing themselves to those with malicious intent (see note above the post box). Email addresses may be made public in profiles so that registered, logged-in users may see them, though.

Or better yet, further conversation could be had right here where lots of people will benefit now and in the future. :)
    I'm only asking so only so I can answer questions more expediently as I don't always log onto this group. The choice to do so (and risk associated with the choice) is theirs.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Understood - some don't realize the risk, so that's why I suggested a couple of better alternatives.
    THIS IS THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR'S FINAL UPDATE

My Navigation Control Unit was trashed. A new replacement was at a ridiculous price, with used units on Ebay very hard to find and still expensive. After reviewing wiring diagrams, I had replaced the all in one control screed with a dedicated digital climate control panel and hooked the two wiring harnesses from the remote Air Conditioning Control Module) (A/CCM), which is located in the front passengers (US) foot well, and connected then to the climate control panel which has a built in A/CCM.

I was able to get the blower output working but not the rear defrost, air temperature output, or air location output to change. I called the a Jaguar dealer in Columbus Ohio and told them what I had done, and asked for help and all they said is you can't retrofit a standard digital climate control panel in a car that has factory navigation, the wiring is different.

WRONG!

The solution to this problem was a different digital Climate control panel. The Climate control panel I had was for the electrically heated windscreen and was not compatible with my car. With the other unit (Used $50.00 US) I now have all climate functions!!!

In addition I did find a cheap Navigation Control Unit so I have the factory system working right now. But still looking to replace it when the weather improves.

So to recap: If you're looking to replace your factory all-in-one system, don't seek the advice of some ill informed dealer crony who doesn't know crap.

You CAN replace the all-in-one unit with just an after-market radio, wiring harness (for the radio), bezel and of course the RIGHT climate control unit which simply utilizes the two wiring harnesses that go into that go into the remote A/CCM located down by the passengers (US) foot well.

So instead of paying $4400 for a new unit, you can buy a NEW 7" double-din (GPS, Radio, DVD, MP3) player, a wiring harness from the jag to the radio (or you can just cut the jag plug off and wire in the radio harness directly) an x-type double-din bezel plate (to make it look like a factory install), and a used DIGITAL climate control panel.

The cost:

About $500 and you INCREASE the functionality over the factory GPS with DVD, MP3, and possible inputs for a backup camera. In addition the maps are more recent and more readily upgradeable.

And if you live need help, I'm an email away. And if you live in the Cleveland Ohio area drive to Lakewood and I'll even help you in person.

Merry Christmas!!!

Bob Dimond
    I will have to try doing it this way... Thank you for posting this information. I am in Columbus, OH, so I may take you up on that!
  • ray699ray699 Member Posts: 1
    Any chance you can give some info on what you specifically purchased and source? I have a 2004 x-type 3.0 with factory nav that I would like to upgrade. I do have an electronics background but am concerned about messing up the dash.

Thanks!
    Ray
    I'd like to know the specifics also! We can't get through the winter with a baby and no reliable heat source! We also can't afford to unload the car either... If we could have more information about the climate controls, and then the after market nav system and the factory install "type" panels I think we know enough people to get the job done.
    Thanks again to all the bloggers who post their problems to help everyone out.
  • ladyd1ladyd1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found out where we can get a reasonably priced digital climate control panel? I have searched everywhere to no avail.

Much appreciation.
    Just curious if there is anyone out there who's contacted Jaguar manufacturing to file a complaint, or discuss a recall? I've seen many others on message boards. It seems like a pretty big deal- that all give the same error message. It seems convenient to happen without reason to so many systems. I haven't done this, but was wondering if any had information on doing so.
    Thanks.
    eBay is your best bet, just like I had indicated in my final update.
    I am not sure what on Ebay I should be searching for. Is it the Nav Control? Or a digital climate control- are both specific for Jaguar and year/ model? What I was curious about was the specific control module for the cliamate and the after market nav/cd etc system that you installed. If it isn't to much to ask, could I get the information on the specific pieces you used?
    Thanks.
    First of all if you read my final update carefully you will note that I DID NOT replace my factory navigation system with a dedicated climate control unit and aftermarket radio/gps system. As stated, I had found a naviation control unit on e-bay (search on Jaguar Navigation in ebay motors) and got my factory system working. Obviously if your not willing to tear into your car and experiment, this is clearly the way to go. They pop up on e-bay at a good price (under $500) from time to time so be patient.

IF YOUR WILLING TO SPEND SOME MONEY THROUGH TRAIL AND ERROR AND TEAR INTO YOUR CAR:

The non-Navigation X-types have two units that occupy the same space as the console and radio. The complete assembly has two LCD screens. The top screen, just below your hazzard switch, is the climate control panel.

If you find the right climate control unit (MUST be digital and must match the windscreen option of your car so I cannot tell anyone specifically what they need) IT WILL WORK IN PLACE OF THE CENTER AND TRUNK NAVIGATION PIECES FOR MY CAR. Once again I have detailed this process in my "UPDATE" and "FINAL UPDATE" posts so I WILL NOT waste my time and reiterate it here.

As for what parts to obtain to convert from the factory navigation system:

Do a search on ebay category "all of e-bay motors" for the words "x-type" and "climate" then select "car & truck parts and accessories" for the climate control unit. 9 hits (2 auction 7 e-bay store). I reccommend ebay items sold by LKQONLINE as they tend to supply information like VIN number series and option list.

Do a search on e-bay category "all of ebay motors" for the words "double din" , "GPS" "SD" and "DVD" The select "Car Audio & Electronics" This should return dozens of hits for a 6-7" screen unit that will fit in the jag. Select the location and featres you want. READ THE FINE PRINT to make sure the unit has a GPS included versus things like "GPS ready" which means a separate GPS unit (usually not included) can be added on. One unit that could serve as a factry GPS replacement (if you want to Narrow it down to a name brand you can see at best buy) woud be a Pioneer AVIC-900BT.

Lok here for the fascia plate so it looks like a factory installation:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13402_Metra+99-9500.html#

Then you need to the x-type plug off and wire in your new radio wiring harness or purchase an adapter:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/jaguar-xtype-wiring-adaptor-autoleads-pc2814-p-26- 84.html

NOTE: This is as specific as I can get. The radio harness should be standard accross all models, but the climate control wiring harness *MAY* differ between year to year and vehicle feature set. For example, I purchased a dedicated climate control unit that did not work (excet for the blower controls, this was mentioned in my update). The reason? The unit and wiring harness were not compatible. The unit I purchased was for a x-type with a heated windshield (windscreen). When I purchased a non-heated windsheild unit, EVERYTHING WORKED. So you see, I can't answer the specifics BECAUSE I DON'T OWN YOUR CAR. Check with your dealer for your car's options, and read the ebay descriptions for VIN series and options the climate control unit supports. Check wiring diagrams. I was able figure out how to fit a dedicated climate control unit into my naviagion equiped x-type because I was willing to invest A LOT of my time scouring the internet and LOOSE a little money to succeed. There are no surefire easy "cookbok" instructions. Even the Cleveland or Columbus Jaguar dealership "experts" did not think what I accomplished could be done.

If my Nav system bites the dust again, I will replace it with an aftermarket unit and I will photograph a detailed procedure and post.

Short of another nav system failure, what I can do get your email address. From there I will email my number and we can discuss your options over the phone. If anyone lives in my area (Lakewood, Ohio) they can make arrangements to come to me, and I will show them the components and how to migrate from the NAV system climate control to a dedicated unit. Weather permitting I will even see if one of the two climate control units I have purchased will work with your car.

This is all I can do, so please don't ask for more "details".

Bob
    Thanks for your posts. Sorry, I think I misunderstood some of them... It at the very least provides us with hope in our situation. I will follow your advice, as $4000 isn't an option for our family. At this point, we don't have much to lose.

I am in columbus, my email is sarahcgaylor@yahoo.com.
    Thanks again.
  • pimpinnpolopimpinnpolo Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 xtype-3.0 all was well, untill my 7in NAV touchscreen went blank, im not sure what the problem is. i have basic controls of the radio and thats it. the climate is on some kind of default defrost mode. I am also getting the error code C1 51 50 flashing where the temp normally is. I think it might be the denso dvd head unit in the trunk. The unit wont eject or accept a disc, which makes me think that it's not getting power ,or a fuse is blown. If it is a power supply issue does anyone know where i should look to fix the problem. I also dont want to spend thousands fixing something that seems so simple. Does anyone have this problem or a way to fix it ITS KILLING ME!
  • the_mikethe_mike Member Posts: 1
    I actually had the same thing happen to me that many people have talked about. Checked every fuse, every connection, would wait a month, check them again, etc. Could not believe something went out on my car. So I took it to the jag dealership, DVD unit in the back went out.

I checked for them on ebay religiously. Never found one that I could afford to get, just to get it back to where it was, when I wanted something better anyway. When I found this thread, I thought, no way that could work. Did some more research, and finally bit the bullet and ordred this off of ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190319526050&viewi- tem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I do have an 02, but it works, and works great. As the original author posted, you have to disconnect the plugs from the passenger footwell and pull those up to where the climate control mounts.

The installation was easy, then again I have done numerous car stereo installations, and honestly, it was along the same lines, but easier.

The bad part, I HAVE to get an aftermarker stereo. The touch screen is seperate, you will still have the same functionality from your stereo as you did with the dead touch screen, but now there is a hole in my dash.

At this point, I don't care, it works and I can drive around today in 97 degree heat and use my A/C.

I will now open up the floor to questions...
  • kappa1kappa1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Bob,

I realize this reply is almost a year after your post, but I am hoping you will find it and be able to help. I live near the Cleveland area and have been experiencing the same issues with my Navigation screen going blank and the climate control being unavailable. I tried doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery but that did not work. I have an appointment with the dealer in about a week and am anticipating them telling me I need to replace the module at an astronomical cost.

please send me an email at Jag02X(at)yahoo(dot)com if you are willing to offer some assistance. Thanks in advance.
  • pimpinnpolopimpinnpolo Member Posts: 2
    its the set up in the trunk that holds the nav cd trust me thats what it is and there is no getting around it you have to get a new one anywhere from 1000 to 2000 good luck man cause its the only way!.....just hope somebody dosnt see you when backing out and runs into the back left of your jag... ; )
  • claire7claire7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have bought the DVD rom and the touch screen for my Jaguar 2006 model, can you please tell me what else I need, is it a Air conditioning module or a remote climate control module?
    Many thanks
  • kappa1kappa1 Member Posts: 2
    For those of you still struggling with the "screen of death" my story may give you some hope. As an acknowledgment, Bob (who has posted several times to this thread) was very helpful in fixing my problem.

First off, I have a 2002 x-type that was experiencing all the same issues being mentioned - touch screen went black, climate control did not work, just blowing full air through the defrost, etc. As several people have mentioned, the repair for this issue is to replace the Navigation module (which is basically the DVD-ROM drive in the trunk sitting on top of your CD changer). The dealer wants several thousand dollars for a new one. I was able to find a handful of used ones available on eBay (in Dec 09) through the seller "lkqonline" by searching for "x type navigation". The listings are very detailed and give you part numbers and VIN #'s that the part should work with. The jaguar part # listed for my drive was 2R83-10E887-AA, but I think jaguar may have renumbered this same part in newer models (as I said, I have a 2002). The unit cost me about $350, which is significantly cheaper than the dealer option.

Installing the new DVD drive was simple. I had to first pull back the felt liner around the inside of the trunk that goes around the DVD/CD drives to gain access to the harness holding the drives. There are a handful of screws that need to be removed (I think I also needed a small wrench for a couple of bolts) so that you can loosen the DVD drive and access the wiring behind it. There were about five wires total that had to be unplugged (one is the GPS cable). There wasn't a lot of slack to pull the drive out and get behind it, but it wasn't too difficult. After the old drive was removed, I just plugged the wires into the new drive, reconnected it to the harness and started the car and magic, the screen came back to life and the climate control system was fully functional! The unit off of eBay did not come with a maps DVD, so it did prompt me to load the disk, which I had already removed from my original drive, so I just inserted that one into the new drive and the GPS booted up and my navigation was up and functioning.

I am not very technical when it comes to working with cars and I was shocked at how easy it was to fix. Hopefully this same solution will work for the majority of people who are experiencing the same issues. I don't know if the newer models of the x-type would require any different parts, but like I said mine is a 2002 and the part on eBay stated which VIN #'s the part would work with.

If you have any non-technical questions about my experience I can try to offer some answers.

Good luck!

Andy
    Claire,

You post is too vague.

If your replacing you faulty nav computer, just replace the nav module located in the trunk, you don't need anything else. If that doesn't work you can try the touchscreen although I doubt that is the problem.

If your talking about outfitting an X-Type that did not come with a navigation system from the factory then, in my opinion, you are HEADING DOWN THE WRONG PATH! Search the threads as there are people who have done this, but in order to oufit a non-nav X-Type with factory navigation equipment you need:

The touchscreen console.
    The navigation computer.
    The remote climate control module
    A Wiring harness from the console to the trunk.
    The GPS antenna

My guess is installing the harness will be difficult to obtain and difficult to install. The remote climate control is a little difficult to install. The GPS antenna might be difficult to install.

If you're thinking of a installing a GPS in a non nav Jag just get a double DIN radio with GPS capability, wire it into the stereo harness and be done with it. I've mentioned this in my solution for transitioning a nav-equipped jaguar to standard climate controls.

While the display screen will be slightly smaller, the maps will be more recent and easier to update. The unit will have have at least MP3 capability, and possibly a host of other features such as DVD, rear view camera, aux audio/video input, USB, SD card, or even bluetooth.

These units sell on ebay for under $500 and will be MUCH easier to install and are
    more futureproof that what the luddites at Jaguar and Denso would sell you.

Hope this helps,

Bob
  • orchestrator1orchestrator1 Member Posts: 2
  • orchestrator1orchestrator1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Jag X Type with a touch screen.
    I am using the correct 'Whereis' nav disc for my region which is New Zealand.
    My problem is street names do not show up plus the intended destination address cannot be entered.

I have been told by a dealer here in NZ that I have to replace the
    DVD Rom unit in the boot of the car with a modified one and the disc will then work perfectly.

He wants $3400.00 for a unit which is away out of my league.
    Can some kind person tell me what the modifcation would be or perhaps it's an after market unit.
    Rex.
  • u102768u102768 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Rex

Is your X Type a Japanese import by any chance? I am also in NZ and have just bought a 2004 XJ and have a similar issue with my sat nav although I have been playing with a DVD from a US Ford so wondered if it just wasn't compatible. I have got a copy of a genuine Jaguar UK DVD being sent to me to try out but it sounds like that won't work either.

Is your DVD a genuine Jaguar one? If so where did you get it from?

Regards

Richard
  • jrochjroch Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Hello everyone,
    Like a few of you guys here, the DVD-Nav player in the trunk died a few months ago but it's becoming a problem now that summer in Texas is in full swing. The model number for my part is 2R83 10E887 AB. I was wondering if the AA on the 2002 Jag or even later models like the AF of the same part would work in my car. I've been checking ebay almost daily for the past few weeks and going around to salvage yards and nobody seems to have this one part. Like Bob mentioned, LKQOnline on ebay seems to be a solid source of parts for this increasingly troublesome car so thanks for that! I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone could share on this topic.

Many thanks,
    James
  • jag_abudhabijag_abudhabi Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    thanks bdimond for the advice to claire that also gave me some insights on installing a GPS in a non nav Jag

1. what about if i get an entire working Nav unit removed from a Dead jag xj X308 (1997–2003) or X350 (2003-2007) they all seem to have a Nav unit. do you think the dimension of the xj Nav console can fit into a Xtpye dash board panel. are the radio a/c console etc..dimensions of the XJ and the x-type similar? they look similarand a like
    2. kindly recommend the model number of the double DIN radio with GPS capability that will fit exactly into the xType dash boards.
    Expound below.
    http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Jaguar_X-Type/photos-interior/s- - tereo-controls/
  • saintjamessaintjames Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Jaguar X-Type Sport Wagon. It is a rare "Special Edition" unit - the only one I have ever found. Although is loaded with features, it does not have navigation. I'm told that if your Jaguar does not have either an original unit installed at the factory OR the navigation pre-wiring - also supposedly done only at the factory - you cannot do an upgrade.
    The result I want is to have a professionally installed, reliable, "integrated" type of system. Does anyone have the specialized knowledge needed to do that kind of an upgrade, or tell me what the alternatives might be?
    Michael St.James
  • lazaroreynoldslazaroreynolds Member Posts: 1
    my van is turning on with a fully charged battery but then turns off and drains the battery and i have changed the alternator and taken it to auto parts to check altinator and it says its fine please helppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi - you're in a discussion about Jaguar navigation system problems. I'd suggested heading to this Chevy Venture Problems discussion instead.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cboyettecboyette Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Jaguar xf with a cracked nav screen the dealer said it would cost $3100.00 for new display head. do you know where I get just the screen or who can repair it.
  • stype2000stype2000 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone can help me. i have had my w reg 2000 s type for just over a year. the built in sat nav has never worked. i managed to get a cd disc from a friend out of a 99 t reg s type, but when i put the disc in i get a message on the screen saying caution reading disc, and thats it.
    Is it the wrong disc bearing in mind that mine is a cd and not a dvd. or is it that my cd unit is knackered?
    i also think its a Denso but i maybe wrong.
    Any help would be great. many thanks.
    Dave
  • roronzroronz Member Posts: 1
    See this thread. If yours is a [non-permissible content removed] import marmlom's instructions in post 6 really work

http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47737#p432267
  • gcj1gcj1 Member Posts: 1
    Even though this is old information it was quite helpful (thanks to Andy #26) to me with the similar failure on my 2005 Jaguar s-type. My controller part number ended in -AA. I do not know if it was the original or a replacement (Jaguar dealers were of no help). I could not find an AA for sale, but found many AB, AC, ADs that were for sale. I did find a salvage yard that would let me return an AB off of a 2003 if it did not work with no restocking fee!! I ordered the AB for $200.00 (great price if you been looking you know this was a good price). I got access by pulling the cover away, then removed 4 screws that held it in place, pulled the 4 wire plugs, wired up the AB unit, screwed into place and it worked fine. It had a disc in it and I used it.