Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Headlight Problems

greenmanalishigreenmanalishi Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in GMC
I bought a used 07 Envoy. The headlights are out of wack. How do I align them? I saw that the light compartments have two small tabs that you pull up to release the headlight compartment, but I didn't want to mess with it.

See Also
How To Adjust Your Headlights

Comments

• angeljangelj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 GMC Envoy and my headlights have quit working, well at least the low beams (both sides at the same time). I have checked the fuses and the bulbs and both are fine. What else can I check before giving up and landing at the mercy of a local auto shop? I am not exactly a mechanical girl, so feel free to speak in short words.
  • bsdsbsds Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I even went ahead and changed the headlamp switch...no luck!
  • amyjones929amyjones929 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Envoy SLT and have recently been experiencing a problem with the automatic headlights. They will not turn on even when it is completely dark. If we turn the car off and let it sit for an amount of time they will come on when we restart it. Does anyone know why this is happening or have any ideas on how to fix it? We are the second owners and have already had to replace the control panel module because it was causing the instrument panel to go crazy, lights blinking, guages not working, etc. The Fog lights work, and the high beams work when the knob is turned to "on", but not on automatic. It's almost like the sensor is not sensing that it is dark outside. Can anyone help?
  • robbiejamesrobbiejames Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 envoy xuv and i have noticed that when i use the power windows my volts gauge goes down slightly and my dash lights as well as my headlights dim a little. i tested the battery and i replaced it and then i tested the alternator and it is putting out 14.45 volts. what else can it be? please help!
  • canapitsitcanapitsit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Envoy SLT and three times in the past year the headlights have gone off at night while driving. The manual switch will not turn them on. Only the emergency flashers will work. After stopping the car and waiting a few minutes will the lights work again. This can be a dangerous condition and I am hoping someone might have a fix for me. Thanks.
  • reggaeonereggaeone Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy and had the same problem. What worked for me was changing the headlight fuse. No more problems. Tip: the fuse is the same one for the fan...found that out by accident, but it solved my problem. Only problem i've had since i purchased the Envoy. ;)
  • reggaeonereggaeone Member Posts: 2
    i've noticed this also and looking forward to the responses. I have a 2004 GMC Envoy. :confuse:
  • john1432john1432 Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunatly the issue is present on all these vehicles. Many new customers have reported flicker, flash or even off issues. GM has a "confidential internal" bulletin for this issue. Just make sure cables and battery connections are clean and tight, if alt and battery check out ok issue was built in and no fix is available.
  • rrobarrrobar Member Posts: 2
    i have a envoydenali xl 2006..have no lowbeam lights. checked bulbs-good,fuses-good,installed new high beam low beam control on colum-nothing changed. any ideas to what i can check...
  • rrobarrrobar Member Posts: 2
    PROBLEM SOLVED-relay#46 in fuse box,usage headlamp driver module-----swapped with #45cooling fan relay just to check.....IT WORKS...heading to auto parts to buy new one.....thanks everyone :) :shades: :D
  • mojaveflyermojaveflyer Member Posts: 1
    Is there a cheaper replacement for a HID headlight on a 1999 Envoy bulb rather than pay the GM replacement price? We're talking close to $1000 or more for the bulb and ballast... Can I replace the system with an after market kit? Thanks!
  • eal3eal3 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks rrobar. I had the same problem with my 2006 Envoy, and did what you suggested - swapped the #45 relay into the #46 spot to check - and my headlights worked with the #45 to verify my #46 relay was bad. I called around and none of the major auto parts retailers had it in stock, so I had to spend about $45 at a dealer for the part.
  • lasdouglasdoug Member Posts: 12
    One of my HID Headlights went out-cost $ 1300.00 to fix the one headlight. Anybody know of a cheaper solution, wether it be convert the HID HEADLIGHTS to STANDARD HEADLIGHTS., etc. Sure could use some HELP with this!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    $1300.00 to fix the one headlight

$1300 seems way overboard. You can get a replacement bulb far cheaper than that at an auto parts store. What exactly did they do for $1300?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yep, Thats Right- $1300 to fix the low beam headlight on one side. $650 for the BALLAST & $648 for the IGNITOR. I wish I COULD just slap a standard blub into it but they are HID headlights produced by GM. I would have never bought the car if I knew that there was this possibility of this happening. Thats why I'm seeking
    help ONLINE for a cheaper cure, would like to convert both headlights to STANDARD HEADLIGHTS. So far I don't know if its possible. The dealer can't give me a answer, they dont know for sure!!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know for certain what the answer is to your question but I notice there are a lot of kits on the market for converting standard headlights to HID. It would stand to reason that the reverse process should be possible and feasible.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    As of Yet, after extensive searching, can not find a thing regarding converting HID headlights on a 1999 Envoy to Standard Headlights. If you run across something, it would should be appreciated if you would pass it along to me. Thanks
  • s15jimmys15jimmy Member Posts: 5
    I am in the same boat with a 2000 Jimmy Diamond edition and yes you can. What you need to do is get the bulb retainer off of a standard headlight assy. (Bulb 9006) unplug the ballast assy. from the wiring harness and plug the harness into the 9006 bulb and install the bulb into the bulb retainer you just installed in the headlight assy. (I would get the retainer out of a junkyard for cheap) The harness that plugs into the Ballast is the connector for the 9006 bulb. The bulb retainer will screw to the headlight assy at the same locations as the HID bulb Security Torx screws. You might want to pick up some #10 screws and replace the security Torx fasteners. The ballest is behind each headllight assy. You most likely will have to remove the bumper cover to access the ballast resistor. You can get the security Torx bits at Harbor Freight if you need them.
  • rdyehlrdyehl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 GMC Envoy with HID low beam headlights. One of the headlights went out and I was quoted the following “replace the Igniter which costs $657.00 per side and also the Ballast which costs $616.00 per side. Or you could do the Headlamp Assembly which is around $1,000 per side.” I thought there had to be a more cost effective way to replace the headlight. Both $1,273 and $1,000 was too much for one low beam replacement. Especially when replacing two headlights cost more than the entire trade in value of the vehicle
    Using the limited information on the internet I was able to convert the HID headlights to standard 9006 bulbs.
    - I unplugged the wiring harness from the ballast that is mounted within/behind the bumper. I was able to unplug the harness without removing the ballast.
    - I tested the harness to ensure with a voltage tester to ensure the harness connector was 12.8v +/-.
    - The harness connects directly to a 9006 headlight. I bought one for $10 to ensure the appropriate fit and operation.
    - The original headlight assemblies (GM 16525606 / GM 16525605) do not allow for a direct connection with a 9006 bulb.
    - After talking to AutoZone and Advance Auto I got a quote for new headlight assemblies (GM2503174 and GM2502174) that would fit at $273 each. Though the bulb would connect to the new assembly - again, too much money. They advised they did not know of an “adaptor” that could mount to the existing assembly and accept the 9006 bulb.
    - Through Amazon.com I found Vehicle Interior Parts. They have a storefront on Amazon. I ordered the following from them –
    o 1998-2001 GMC S-15 Jimmy Left Side Front Only Headlamp HeadLight W/O FOG LAMP,LEFT HAND replaces OEM 16526227 Hollander 114-535L Partslink GM2502174
    o 1998-2001 GMC S-15 Jimmy Right Side Front Only Headlamp HeadLight W/O FOG LAMP,RIGHT HAND replaces OEM 16526228 Hollander 114-535R Partslink GM2503174
    o Total cost including shipping for both New assemblies was $84.00 - they arrived few days later via UPS packaged well and in new condition.
    o Each assembly included the high and low bulbs already.
    - I was unable to remove the existing ballast from behind the bumper. I was uncomfortable removing the body/bumper panels to gain access to remove the bumper itself. Therefore I zip tied the existing HID behind/next to the assembly location.
    - I removed the existing assemblies, installed the bulbs and connectors into the new assemblies and then installed the new assemblies.
    - The wiring harness on the driver side barely had enough length to plug into the slightly different bulb locations in the new assembly. I managed to manipulate the harness enough to get it installed though.
  • apro1apro1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy. Both low-beam hightlights went out. The high beams still work. I do think its the fuses, since I switched the low beam fuse with the high beam and still had the problem.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

Are "relays" the same as fuses?

Thanks
  • susan72susan72 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. I found a mechanic that could covert my 1999 envoy to standard headlights but GM would not send the parts. He was going to charge me $2000.00 for the job. After extensive searching this is what I did. I bought an aftermarket HID plug and play kit for 1999 envoy. I tore off the plates on the original lights and installed two brand new headlights for $250.00... no need to covert... Hope this helps. My new lights are two years old now.
  • mscollardmscollard Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to me and I fixed it today for $20 and it was really easy.

Same story, passenger low-beam died and I was quoted over $1300. Went to a local auto store and bought the 9006 low-beam and the socket for it. Total $20. I removed the headlight cluster and took out the old HID light and igniter. Following the wire back to the ballast, I cut it and threw it all away. I left the old ballast where it was because it was a pain to get at. Next I cut the wires going into the ballast on the opposite side from the one I just cut. This is just the good old regular juice to make the good old regular headlight you just bought work. Wire the two together and you are good to go.

You will have to make sure the new light is secure in the cluster. I used a short piece of metal strapping and screwed it right into the same holes. I may do the driver's side just to get them both out of the way. Total cost $40, or maybe $75 if you want higher end bulbs.
  • 1999envoy1999envoy Member Posts: 1
    a little more input would be appreciated like what kind of conversion kit and what plates you tore off Pics if avalable would be a plus or mabie a website thanks:)
  • tdtgh26tdtgh26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XL and my headlights will go out, out of no where. I am sure there is a short somewhere, but how do I find out where? Also, my air conditioner works up front, but the rear vents do not work. Any hints?
  • lacey38655lacey38655 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Envoy and I also have this problem. Early morning after startup for at least 30 minutes, my lights will flicker.
  • mealwormmealworm Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to say thanks a million for your post. I had searched and searched for solutions to the Envoy HID problem with no luck. When we bought our 2000 Envoy the passenger-side HID, igniter, and ballast had all been removed already. I used some metal strapping to hold a 9006 bulb in the HID hole, but it was not a good long-term solution.
    So I decided to try the two headlight assemblies you listed from Vehicle Interior Parts on Amazon. $35/ea + shipping = not bad. They got here quickly and were well packaged and brand new.
    The passenger side was a breeze since the 9006 connector had already been freed from the ballast. The driver's side was tougher. I tried like hell to remove the ballast, but without completely removing the front bumper cover, it seemed impossible. Then I just tried to get the 9006 connector free, which was also a [non-permissible content removed] because it was impossible to get my hand into the space where it was connected. I fussed with trying different angles for a good half hour. I finally sent a long flathead screwdriver into the cavity and it pried off really easily (note to self for next time). At this point, the original assembly was now dangling from the ballast. I cut the wire as close to the ballast as I could and was finally free to install the new light. The wires barely reached, but they did.
    This is an excellent solution for those of us who prefer regular, easy to find, cheap headlights over proprietary redonkulously expensive HIDs.
  • jenny42203jenny42203 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 GMC Envoy. Recently while driving at night, they both turn off. This has happened to me quite often in the past week. I have had to ride the rest of the way to my destination with my high-beams. However, my fog lights still work.

I have replaced the fuses for both headlights and checked the battery, in case a cable was loose.

It turned off on me when the car was on but in park. It has come back on for me once. This was after I hit the top of the fuse box cover to lock it back in place and the lights immediately turned on.

Could anyone tell me what else to check for?
    I like your way-BUT can you provide me EXACTLY what you BOUGHT & WHERE
    on-line and what your mechanic had to do exactly. That would really help my mechanic who I think will take this job on if its not going to be a nightmare!!
    Would appreciate additional info from you-it would really help.
    Thanks you much, in advance
    Doug
    susan72 (REPLY #19) Can you please provide additional Info on WHAT YOU BOUGHT On-line and from WHOM on-line and what your mechanic had to do exactly!! That would be of great help if you can do this for me.
    Thank you (INADVANCE)
    Doug
  • heartless2heartless2 Member Posts: 1
    I followed all these instructions except I chose to take the bumper cover and bumper off. The same plug that is in the ballast fits right into the new headlight so no rewiring!

Thank you for the help! Now I'll go sell the good side and the ballast and ignitor for the other. As it turns out, just the bulb was burned out but in the long run, the conversion will be more cost effective.
    First of all, thanks to all of you that responded to my cry for HELP, way back when, regarding my 1999 Envoy Headlight Problem. Without your feedback and support the fix would not have been possible, would not have been able to tell my mechanic where to start. Of course, when I called the GMC Dealers (THE EXPERTS) for assistance on changing out the 99 Envoy HID Lights to Conventional Lights, they were flabbercasted and did not know if it was even possible OR they knew what to do, but would not tell you, for it would mean loss of big $$$$ in their pockets....WHATEVER!!! To make a
    Long Story Short (PROBLEM FIXED) with a total cost of UNDER-
    $ 200.00 to change out BOTH HID HEADLIGHTS to Brand new
    CONVENTIONAL HEADLIGHTS (Now can go to any Auto Parts Store and buy a $2.00 blub if one goes bad) WHEW!!!!
    ***Running out of room (SEE PART-2)
    Sorry Bout That..........................
    1- Purchased 2 BrandNew Headlights From;
    headlightwarehouse.com (651-644-3456)
    *LEFT (Headlight) Partslink GM2502174 (Part # 14-00535L) $ 64.00
    *RIGHT (Headlight) Partslink GM2503174 (Part# 14-00535R) $ 64.00
    SHIPPING $ 14.75
    ARRIVED 2 days later (Perfect Condition) for TOTAL ( $ 142.75 )
    I managed a (No restocking Fee-Return Policy) !!!!!!!!!!
    2- My buddy (Did NOT HAVE TO CUT ANY WIRES)
    3- Removed Each Assembly (Easy remove clips behind assembly
    that pull straight up- the light can be pulled out-dangling)
    4- Uplugged the (Harness Plug from Ballast) Ballast located below
    Headlights/Behind Bumber). He layed on his back and got under
    car with a long screw driver to help unplug the plug from BALLAST.
    5- Driver side (EASIER to UNPLUG from BALLAST - BUT- HARDER
    to connect HARNESS PLUG to NEW ASSEMBLY)
    6- He connected the Harness Plug from EACH BALLAST and
    connected the plugs into the NEW L&R ASSEMBLIES.
    No wires to Cut. The Drivers Side -Harness Plug after removal from
    Ballast had to be maneuvered below AC Lines in order to reach
    plug-in on NEW ASSEMBLY. Buddy says the job is DO-ABLE!!!!
    7- My PAX SIDE (BALLAST) was bad, dont know about IGNITER.
    8-Kept Drivers Side HID ASSEMBLY (Still Good) if you want it Free!!
    My E-Mail is goldman3@woh.rr.com if I can answer any questions
    or if you can use my Old (Drivers Side Headlight Assembly). Its your Free. Also if in the Dayton Ohio area- My good mechanic will change out your HID Headlights for Conventional ones. Thanks again for all
    that responded to my earlier request for info on this matter-It really PAID OFF.
  • cprincesscprincess Member Posts: 1
    lasdoug,

You are a life saver. I bought a 2000 Envoy in April 2010. The headlight went out and I thought it would be an easy fix. Longer story short the dealer said the part would be $786 for the driver side headlight because it was a H.I.D. Igniter and ballast Headlight. I said there is no way I’m paying that much for 10 year old SUV. So I have been searching high and low for a solution on the net and there you appeared. I called the website you suggested and they have a GMC Jimmy headlight in stock and Kerry the sales associate remembered you and said she is glad everything worked in your favor.

Well have fabulous Memorial Day and I hope everything goes as well for me.
    Signed,

C.princess
    C.princess,
    Best of luck changing out those over priced headlights. Have a good mechanic do it, he'll figure it out, FOR SURE. My mechanic was great and figured everything out by reading past POSTS on this site. Took him about an hour, maximum.That headlight place I purchased the lights at, where great to work with, and I remember KERRY, she sounded like a "BABE" !! Wish I could see her pic !!!
    I think I actually like these NEW conventional headlights BETTER, than the original HID, they seem just as bright !!!
    GOODLUCK. Shame on you GMC for putting these high priced
    headlights on a low priced Vehicle in the first place, it isn't a LEXUS!!
    You've caused alot of headaches, to alot of us.
  • robo2023robo2023 Member Posts: 1
    I,too, am experiencing the vary same situation with my 1999 Envoy. What a shame that a company does this to their customers. It's no wonder people don't trust companies like GM anymore. We can't afford to buy the parts let alone have it fixed.

I am very interested in the drivers side assembly if you still have it. Let me know if it is available. Thanks for your input!
    I am sorry, I ended up giving the remaining drivers side assembly to a neighbor, who has a friend with the same headlight issue. I tried to convey to the neighbor, how much happier his friend would be to just (CHANGE OUT BOTH HEADLIGHTS) with brand new conventional headlights, but his friend wanted to try this old HID headlight first.
    Sorry bout that--and--good luck with your FIX. For less than $200 my belief is you will be happier with a complete changeout to brand new conventional---I was !!!
  • envoylover1envoylover1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Envoy. I love this car. Bought it used runs like new but I too have the headlight problem. Your solution sounds great. I even have a mechanic living behind my house who says he would install the conversion kit on both sides. My problem is where to get the parts. We live in Ohio and the only parts places near us are Auto zone and Advanced Auto Parts. I'm not good with all the parts stuff. Any suggestions. I also don't have any credit cards. Any help would be awesome.
    I see your problem. The only reason I ordered OnLine was because the 3 or 4 Junk Yards/Salvage yards in the Dayton area did not have the Conventional Headlights. Right after I placed the order Online,
    one of the local Salvage yards, I think it was RIVERSIDE or Clayton, called me back and said they could get the Conventional Headlights from Online and I could pick them up in person. Try some LOCAL junkyards to you and explain that you need to pay by cash or check, and I'll bet they will order the Headlights for you and have them delivered to their location so you can pick them up. (Give them the number of the place I purchased mine)- you'll see in my prior posts all the information regarding where I purchased mine online. GOODLUCK
    If you have factory HID headlights on your Envoy/Bravada and the bulb and ballast go out you find out real quick that the only available replacements are from GM and you have to buy a new ballast/HID Bulb because of design change. The cost from GM is over $1,000 dollars for the set. If you want to keep your factory HID system I have a much lower cost alternative and still be OEM equipment. I have purchased factory Bulb/Ballast to keep my GMC Diamond Edition factory HID lights operational but will never again. Below is what I purchased (Mostly From Ebay)

1. Philips D1S Bulb Xenstart ($50.00 ea) Ebay. 2 ea
    2. Philips Xenstart ballast (Cadilac XLR) Same Ballast as what you get from GM. (Price Varies) 2 ea
    3. Pair of D1S Bulb Holders. ($30.00)
    4. Pair of D1S Cables 49CM (SUV Lights.com) $75.00 for a pair includes shipping. You have to modify the bulb holders to mount to the mounting screw locations of the headlight. You will also have to mount the ballast and connect the ballast to the factory harness. May have to splice the connector in.

If any one wants pics just email me at nolanpa@cableone.net
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If any one wants pics

Pics would be great - if you post them on your CarSpace page then future visitors won't have to try to track you down for them. Thanks!
    Posted PIC's in my car space page.
    I also have an after market HID solution. I pulled two 9006 bulb retainers off of 4 headlight (late 90's) GM sedan. I removed the mounting flange from the original bulb and used that to secure the 9006 bulb retaine to the headlight. Now any 9006 bulb will work including 9006 HID conversion kit. I plan on selling this set of hedlights on ebay with the 9006 bulb retainers included. I posted Pics of this modification as well. This would be the least expensive way to keep the HID by using a 9006 conversion kit.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice! Here's the link.
    The ballast connector is the same as the 9006 bulb. Update: In order for the bulb retainer to fully seat in the headlight i have notched the retainer where the 3 mounting posts are and dremeled out the area where the alignment pin is on the headlight. I need to add a spacer to compress the retainer now. Having the bulb sit further in the headlight will get the optics correct as possible.
  • smittygirl1966smittygirl1966 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Envoy. Recently my headlights have been decided to be difficult....sometimes they work and other times they don't and I have to use my highbeams.

Somewhere on this forum, I read to change the #46 (headlight module) and #45 (air control module) and thankfully it has solved the problem - PARTIALLY.

My headlights now turn on when I unlock the car AND they turn on when I manually turn them on. HOWEVER, they still don't work in the automatic position.....not a big deal as at least I can drive at night again without blinding anybody.

But can anyone tell me what this means, what the problem is and if it is something that has to be done by a mechanic, how much it will cost?

ALSO, do I need to switch #45 an #46 back to their original position or can I continue to drive like this without anything else going wonky on me?

If I MUST switch them back, then does that mean that I need to buy another #46 ?

Thanks so much!
  • citafacitafa Member Posts: 1
    I followed the same fix described by message 54 from smittygirl1966, and it worked for me too. I have a 2007 Envoy, and yes indeed, switching the #46 module with the #45 module did the job. Both low beams are working again. But, my question is the same as smittgirls1966, do I have to go buy a replacement for the other module; better yet, what is NOT WORKING since I switched? Help.
  • envoy_99envoy_99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have the same problem with my 1999 GMC Envoy the left side low beam went out I have no idea how to replace this manufacture HID igniter/bulb wherever this with just regular hid lights can someone please help me up or if anyone has an extra system i can buy
  • envoyager0001envoyager0001 Member Posts: 1
    Ugh. My turn to be screwed with this situation. We'll see what my mechanic says on Monday.