Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• dean322dean322 Member Posts: 1
    Odd you mention it. Just bought a 2000 4 Runner all but leather and I ended up fishtailing in a medium downpour taking a turn. Pretty disappointing, but I kept it in 4wd the rest of the way and experienced no further problems. 4wd is now the way I'll go through the rain.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Even with 2wd, you should not have much problems with fishtailing in a 2001-2002 models because these models have VSC. From what i have heard, VSC in the 4Runner is pretty aggressive.

For me and my 2002 4Runner LTD. 4x4, i always use 4wd in rain. Only on dry land do i use 2wd to save fuel.

In addition, a good set of tires is mandatory!!!!!
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    Couple of questions for you. What are your thoughts regarding the interior of the new 4Runner? Did there seem to be a lot more room? How does the exterior size look in person compared to the 2002? Thanks
    Just wondering....
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I wish I could answer but I do not really remember. We were bouncing from vehicle to vehicle (and the open bars and food)and talking to the different people you see at these things only a few times a year and playing with the different new features and such. What I remember most is that it is much better looking in person and there was a lot of speakers. If I remember correctly there are cup (bottle) holders built into the front map pockets. It may have been in the new Sienna. I didn't get in it and think it was small but I knew it wasn't the size of a Sequoia.
  • carguyaamcarguyaam Member Posts: 6
    Greetings 4runner forum! My wife and I are looking for new "used" vehicle for her. I have done a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that a used 4runner is about the best choice out there (given our criteria).

Now, here's the question: Do any of you have any experience (test drives or actual ownership) of a 4 cyl. 4runner? I am thinking 99 or 00 models. I have seen several 4x4's and 4x2's online, but cannot find anything but v-6's to drive anywhere near me.
    quick background: we don't haul a boat/trailer, live in Indiana (read: no hills), and don't need massive amounts of power.

My only concern is: will the hitchhiker on the on ramp (walking with 20lb pack) beat me to merge when the a/c is on and my family is packed in? Or, will I be able to pass that semi on the highway (can the 4 cyl do 80 mph comfortably (though temporarily?))

Any replies are appreciated, even if you tell me the six is the only way to go. (Just thought the fuel mileage (about 3 mpg difference I think) and lower cost might be worth it.)
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I have driven both and the V-6 is the much better choice. When I drove the 4 cyl I constantly had my foot into it and therefore the gas mileage suffered,so, unless they are giving you the 4 cyl, don't bother. The V-6 is so sweet and smooth, I constantly drive over a mtn pass with 3-4 passengers and usually I cruise at 80 mph,if I am passing then 85+. Resale on the 4 cyl stinks and the best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned is the V-6.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you will be passed by the hitchhiker! LOL

The big advantage to the 4-cyl was the price reduction when new. If you are buying used, that advantage is reduced, although it is still there...

Gas mileage is not much better than the 6-cyl.

You HAVE to get the stick if you are going to get the 4-cyl.

The 4-cyl can cruise at 80 mph for sure, but passing at highway speed is a very ponderous and sometimes impossible affair. Also, the 4-cyl will strain to hold freeway speeds over high passes and stuff. For low speed operation and around-town stuff, it is just fine.

kjack100: IRS usually means suspension components that hang below the rear axle, reducing ground clearance, and wearing out quicker. Solid axles are just so much easier to take care of, and cheaper to maintain over time.

I hate it if it is true they are making the Runner into a soccer-mom-mobile - don't give in to the trend, Toyota! This has always been such an enormously capable offroad vehicle, which is what I use mine for, it just can't change!

(That is another reason I also don't want the third row seat - who needs it? It is just extra weight at the butt end of the vehicle)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    this one has made the rounds already, but if anyone hasn't seen it, it's a good shot

http://www.auto-g.jp/news/200209/06/newcar02/01_b.jpg
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I have driven both the 2.7 four and the 3.4 V6. First off there are some advantages to the four. First, the 4Runner has a greater load capacity. Second, the engine has a timing chain instead of a belt. The engine is known to hold up well.

When I drove the four it seemed to do OK until I decided to see how well it passed from about 50, the SUV seemed to stand still. I have read the reviews at "Car Review" and about 10 of the 200 reviews were with the four. Most of the people liked the SUV but given a choice most would of spent the extra dollars on the V6. The four seemed to do better with a 5 speed. Here is the site for 4Runners at Car Review:

http://www.carreview.com/pscAutomobiles/SUV/Toyota,4Runner/PRD_48_1524crx.aspx

And here is a 4Runner on E-Bay with a 4 cylinder. It has a good picture of the engine. It was the only 3rd generation 4 cylinder on E-Bay. They are out there, but not many.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1858441487

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I did not mean to imply that I want to do away with a solid axle, quite the opposite. My point is if Toyota is going to put third row seating in the sister GX470 (which will have a solid axle), why can't they offer it in the 4Runner? It would be optional and removable, thus no added weight for the crowd that doesn't want them or can remove them. Look at the detailed photos of the GX at wieck.com. (Public section and type in " "GX 470" "). See if you think they are cool.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I might not know what I'm talking about, but both the people that posted having problems with traction in the rain had "new" vehicles. The combination of new tires, oiled roads, and aggresive tread tires will always be scary in the rain. It took me a while to tame the 30" bf's on my zr2 and I still get loose once in a while.

On another note... I stopped by the dealer yesterday and picked up the Taco brochure. The 4runner looks nice in the waterfall... but it might just be all wet. I like the Tacoma's too... so if the new 4runner style isn't appealing, I have something to fall back on.

Cliffy.... any idea when suppliers can start ordering their new vehicles?
  • carguyaamcarguyaam Member Posts: 6
    peter78, nippononly, beagles3 thanks for the posts on the 4 cyl. It looks like I am better off with the 6 cyl, and not much worse off for mileage. probably better on resale value as well.
    thanks again!!!
    While it is true that the third row seat could be removed if you didn't need it, it is still something that justifies a price increase (boo hiss), as well as one more item that lends to the trend of making the Runner into a soccer-mom-mobile, which is bad for those of us that want it to be as offroad-worthy as it ever was...

Apart from that, if they are keeping the solid axle, I have no other objections!

BTW, if it has third row seat WITH the solid axle, that must be a seat strictly for small kids, huh?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    While I agree with you about your tires, I disagree about your assessment of aggressive treads in your formula. If you have a Blazer, not an S-10, then your BFGs on your ZR-2 are made specifically for the Blazer, and are not the same as regular All-Terrain T/A KOs. The tread on the BFGs for the Blazer are not as aggressive as the regular T/As, like the ones I have on my truck. I have a '98 GMC Jimmy 4x4, with 30" BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs and a limited-slip rear tranny. While in 4WD I have pushed it to the limits in rain, without slipping while driving on streets. I've punched it turning corners, and was completely amazed that it grabbed the pavement as if it were dry! I feel very confident in the way my truck handles, especially with the aggressive tread design of my BFGs. I've even had to make emergency stops in heavy Monsoon down-pours, with excellent results.

While the 4Runner does look really cool on the back of the Tacoma brochure in that waterfall, it's the best shot I've seen, so I'm hoping like you that it's not "all wet," and that it looks cool in reality. The Tacoma wouldn't be a worthy replacement in my book.

We can only hope...
    if you missed the previous posts! The '03 is going to be featured on MotorWeek:

http://www.mpt.org/schedule/series.cfm?series_id=1434

• jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Thanks.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    What channel can you find Motorweek on? The local PBS doesn't seem to run it. By any chance is it on speedvision?
  • kennyinmdkennyinmd Member Posts: 18
    can anyone provide me some links to the 2003 4-runner???thanks
    If you have a little time, you can just scroll up through the last few pages of posts and you'll find all of the links to the only existing pics of the 2003 that we know about.
    Just wondering if anyone else has received their GX mini-brochure that you could order on line, yet. I got mine Friday, and while there isn't really anything different from what we've already seen, there is a close up of the instrument panel and center console. There you can see the height-adjustable gauge that tells you whether you're Hi, Neutral, or Lo, and you can see the control switch on the console in front of the shift knob that regulates the adjustments. Pretty cool stuff!

Just thought I'd pass it along...
    know for sure if the height-adjustable suspension is going to be available on the 4Runner, or only on the GX?

• highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Just a comment on the soon to be older model 4Runner.

My 02 Thundercloud Sport Edition is 10 months old with 19K miles. This truck is flawless, only been to the dealer for an oil change at 1000 miles. I change the oil every 3000, will take it in for items I cannot do. I added the TRD air filter, it is worth the price. Purchased filter from Romania Toyota http://toyotaguys.com/

My truck is really too new and too good to trade on the 03 Runner at this time but I will compare and look at. I'm sure the new Runner will be outstanding, hope so, I want this next generation to be my next truck in 2 - 3 years.

Once you make the comparison between the 02 and 03
    and feel that the 02 may be the best deal (03's if in demand may be selling at MSRP or higher for awhile), do not wait too long to buy the 02. With 0% or low interest rates, the 02 may be a bargain, may even be in demand?

And I am getting 21 mpg highway traveling at 75 mph. Best truck I have ever owned.

I doubt the 02 will be will become, as some people have indicated, obsolete with the new model introduction. I would rather think of the 03 as just another step in the refinement of the best SUV ever made.
    I'm very worried after comparing the GX specs on the Lexus site to the 3rd gen numbers. Even if the new 'Runner has the height-adjustable suspension, it had better go another 3 inches higher (which I'm sure it won't), or this new truck is NOT a worthy replacement.

I was excited about the idea of the body raising, because the rocker height is the thing I'm most concerned about with regards to clearance. But now I'm pissed to read those numbers and realize the 'Runner will go from 11" with the optional tires, to a little over 8" with this new platform. What the HECK?! I was figuring that the ground clearance would remain about the same as the 3rd gen, but then we'd get the ADDED bonus of being able to adjust the height too!

Okay, Toyota had better not screw up the 4Runner like this, or they're going to have a major back-lash on their hands. If this is the case, then I think all of the talk about price-gouging is out the window. They won't be able to give this thing away to the off-road crowd, who, according to their market research, is the reason there aren't any 3rd row seats, making them a big part of the market! So, let me get this straight. We don't get the 3rd row option, which is removable any way, because the off-road customers said they didn't want it, but we also don't get the great ground clearance the off-roaders purchase a 4Runner for in the first place?! I don't think it's any more than marketing bologna.

I'm beginning to feel you are very right in your assessment, intmed99, and I'm going to be very pissed. 8.3"?! I can get that in an Envoy or Trailblazer, but I wouldn't dare attempt to take them off-road with their low rocker and front bumper heights. Or I could get less mileage but more clearance in a Durango or Grand Cherokee (with the Up-Country suspension), but still not 11"! If only Chevy would have offered a ZR-2 version of the 4dr Blazer, or slapped a new version on the Trailblazer...but it wouldn't have the dependability or resale... Oh, Toyota...what have you done?!
    Okay, I'm still obsessing...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1C9310D1

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Md2002, the Motorweek site says the broadcast window for the 2003 4Runner show begins September 20th. Speedvision (now Speed Channel, ugh) airs MotorWeek on Thursdays at 7pm and midnight and Fridays at 7am, all times eastern. So, maybe this is the week. I wonder if the tested model(s) are going to be the ones we saw in the spy pics.
  • airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    TBCREATIVE, where are you reading these specs on the 03? Can you post the link? Thanks.
  • airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    This week they are reviewing the new Nissan 350Z. Not a bad alternative if the 03 Runner turns out to be a loser. In Colorado, Motorweek is also on a local station (6) and it airs at 12:30am.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Nice picture. This is the first picture where the 2003 4Runner looks like a 4Runner. Maybe the waterfall hides the ugly parts. Anyway the look of the 2003 is now much better. (Oh by the way, great copy of the picture, good job.)
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Now I am a little worried, hope they don't ruin a great truck.

After reading the post from tbcreative, I may have made a great decision to purchase the 02 last November. I may decide to keep this truck a few years longer.

We need to wait and see. If we do not like the new version, most of us will keep driving our old Runners until the wheels fall off - that could be 600,000 plus miles.

We do not mind some change, just don't make it into a car like crossover vehicle, we have enough of them to choose from!
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    All I am going to say is "Mt. Everest". You will know what I am talking about soon enough.

Side note, check out the new TV show PUSH,NEVADA. Every car in the town is a Toyota, even the sherrif drives a new 2004 4Runner.
    just because platform is shared, does not mean they have to have the same ground clearance does it? My knowledge here is very fuzzy, so someone help me out, but platform sharing merely means that suspension attachment points are the same, but if you have a solid rear axle, then the elevation of the rear diff pretty much determines the ground clearance, which can be raised up by higher tires...that is why on current-gen Runners, the 225/75/15 combo only has 9.8" of clearance, while 265/70/16 combo has 11" of clearance. Couldn't the same principle apply in the new truck? GX has lower tires for on-road comfort and smoothness, Runner has offroad package with more ground clearance and higher tires?

I STILL bet that the adjustable air suspension is only on the GX, not on the 4Runner, unless it is a very expensive option on the Toyota.

• carlmoorejrcarlmoorejr Member Posts: 23
    {YES] now that definitely looks like a 4RUNNER. For some reason that is the best pic yet I have seen of the new 4RUNNER. I like the pic much better & might just have to take back my earlier "SANTA FE" comparo post. One reason I bought my 01 Runner was because there was no mistaking it for what it was{4RUNNER,TRUCK,REAL SUV}.not a wannabe car,van,crossover suv,what is that thing,who makes it,looks like all the other ones.
  • lupgalupga Member Posts: 8
    >> now that definitely looks like a 4RUNNER.

the power of advertisement, no wonder people pay more for lexus and acura for better bronchus :)

the new 4 runner in the waterfall does like great.
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    I hope that's a waterfall and not the fountain outside the local mall. I agree this picture gives us some hope, can't wait to see it in person and test drive it.
  • newbuyersuvnewbuyersuv Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a new SUV and I'm considering the 4Runner or Sequoia.
    Does anyone on the board have children that use car seats? Can you get 3 car seats in the back of a 4Runner(2002)? I would imagine the 2003 4Runner would have about the same back seat space as the 2002. Hate to upgrade to the Sequoia (or buy a van) if I can wait for a new 2003 4runner. Thanks.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Three across really isn't practical in the 2002 Runner but it will work in the Highlander. It isn't a truck, but it isn't a minivan either.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    The waterfall hides the back section of the 2003 4Runner. I think it is the least desirable section of the trucks from the pics I've seen.

The sides from the middle of the back door to the end of the truck is not very nice.

I'm really looking forward to see it for good. The wait is unbearable mainly because I'm shopping for a new SVU right now and I'd like to be done with it soon.....
    First off, Airbur, I was going by the GX 470 specs listed on the Lexus site.

Nippononly, I hope you are right, but with 17" wheels, the tire sizes are limited. The biggest BFG All-Terrain you can go with is 265/70 R-17, which is only slightly taller than the standard tire size that's listed. Now if those not-as-cool-looking 6-spoke wheels are 16", then there are more options to go bigger, but we don't know what will fit under the fenders. They look pretty big in the photos, but who knows.

1gr2uz has the specs, and 9.1" seems to be the max., so there goes the extra 2 inches of ground clearance! Also VERY DISTURBING is the need for PREMIUM FUEL?! What the HECK is Toyota doing to us?! If they're going to require us to dump that much cash into this truck, that gets worse gas mileage than my 4x4 Jimmy, then they should have developed a hybrid set-up instead. I'm going to have to put a natural gas or propane conversion on this thing to make it worthwhile, and better for the environment! I thought Toyota was on this "Green" kick, but I guess it's all PR after seeing the dismal EPA ratings. I'm guessing the Premium gas helps them get their LEV status, but we're still getting poor mileage. This new truck is getting more expensive all the time, especially if you have to add a lift kit just to equal the current model!

Sbel4, can you expand a little more on your comment? I hope the new 'Runner is more capable for off-roading than the current gen, but the numbers and photos I'm seeing don't seem to support that notion. Also, how does the Sheriff have a 2004, when we haven't even seen the 2003? ;o)

Newbuyersuv, you can't get 3 child seats in the back of the 2002; it's too narrow. Because the 2003 is about 5" wider, it may better accommodate them, but we'll have to wait until they come out in a few weeks to know for sure. Personally, with those kinds of space needs, I would either go with the Sequoia or minivan.
    Yes, if you get BIG tires, you can raise the ground clearance. Unfortunately, the GX470 comes standard with pretty big tires (265/65/17) which is about a 31" tire. You can get bigger tires, but then you suffer odometer error, slower acceleration, rubbing, etc. Toyota has never gone above 275/70/16 sizes.

TB, remember, the GX/4Runner is a new generation...they have to abide by future government regulations about roll-over. In addition, they must also compete with the all-independent SUVs (XC90, VW Touareg?, MDX, X5, ML, etc.). The 3rd gen 4Runner is nothing close to these vehicles in handling, thus may be losing the average customers. Many off-roaders (except a few, including me & you) don't spend $40,000 to get a off-roading machine...that is too much. They probably get a Jeep Wrangler (or even Rubicon). So, i think Toyota is BSing when they are trying to please the off-roading community. Honestly, for the 4Runner to be a competitor to Explorer, Envoys, etc., it must be a decent handler with OK off-roading talents. That is where the 4th gen is. 3rd gen was just too far off the middle for the average customer. Personally, i am very happy with my 2002 4Runner Ltd. 4x4. TB, go buy one! :)

Just to give you a clue of the average customer, let me tell you about my girlfriend's father. He loves cars too. He simply could not understand why i got a 4Runner, which has a very high step-in height, modest power, and narrow. He asked, "Why not a Lexus ES300 for the money," or "Acura MDX". My girlfriend is OK with the 4Runner but complains of the high step-in. These are your average customers. Toyota has been doing very well relatively (among imports) because of the bullet-proof reputation. Ford Explorer cleanly beats it in sales because it is cheaper (with more content), faster, and more roomy.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Don't get too upset over the fuel issue yet. That same engine does NOT require premium in the Sequoia nor Tundra but does in the Land Cruiser and LX470. I would wait and see what the book actually has when it comes out. Remember, even Edmunds still thinks the Avalon requires premium and it doesn't and never has.
    Intmed99, I agree with everything you're saying, but you may not have to recalibrate the speedo or odometer. I went up 2 tire sizes on my 4x4 Jimmy to a 30" x 9.50" BFG AT T/A KO, and drove by a digital radar stand and the speedo was right on. I'm sure the odometer wasn't affected either, as I've charted GPS coordinates very accurately with the trip odo. Now if I were to slap a lift-kit on and, say 33" tires, then I would probably have to recalibrate. I'm guessing with this new generation 'Runner, I won't be able to go up more than 3 tire sizes without a lift anyway, so I'm hoping it won't be affected either.

Also, while I love the exterior style and off-road prowess of the 2002, there are too many things I don't like, such as less power than my truck, lackluster and cramped interior, and a trailer hitch that rides lower than the tubular factory one on my truck.

Cliffy1, as always, thanks for putting my mind at ease! I think you are probably right about this and I can't wait to find everything out for sure, soon.
  • suv4x4suv4x4 Member Posts: 14
    Motorweek will introduce 2003 4Runner at 700pm(CDT)next Monday.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There is a first impression, with pictures in the new FOUR WHEELER magazine that just came in the mail. It looks much better here than it did in the spy photos, more like a 7/8 scale Sequoia.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • zacmilsfanclubzacmilsfanclub Member Posts: 1
    2 Months ago my check engine light came on my a 99 5 Speed with the Highlander package, with 46k. I took it into Toyota and they didn't think anything of it so they reset it. It came back on 5 days after they reset the light. They looked at it again and the answer was 1) I ran it out of gas (which I didn't) or 2) my K and N Air Filter fouled my air box sensor. They took it out and all the O2 levels were ok so they suggested I replace the K and N with a standard filter which I did. The light came on again and I've been driving it with the light on for a month now.

I don't fill the tank up when the fuel light comes on becasue there are still 4 gallons left. Would that hurt it? I hope the oil from the K and N didn't foul my sensor. I don't want to have to put another one on unless the car stops running.

Any one hear of this before or give me any advice?
    Because of the way I use my truck, I never buy them new, usually more like eight to ten years old. Then I can feel free to beat them up, going offroad and enjoying them without worrying about depreciating an expensive car with wear, or scratching gold-plated paint.

So my current 4Runner is a '90, which is still going so strong I will have it a couple more years, so I am in no rush to go out and get the new one, but if these suggestions of its new reduction in offroad ability turn out to be true, you can bet the third gen will be the last one I ever own! In that case, it is a good thing they made the third gen for seven years - lots of good used ones for a decade to come.

I am sure they would never make a Toyota that required premium gas, short of a dedicated sports car. Since the same engines in bigger trucks use regular gas, I am quite sure the specs above are for the Lexus model. I am HOPING that that is true for everything else too, and that the new truck will still have truck-like attributes.

I TOLD YOU the adjustable suspension would be an expensive option!

This is not a truck that should cater to the center of the pretender crowd, now that Toyota has Highlander. They are making boatloads of $$ on the Highlander - their most popular seller last year I think - and with two SUVs so close in size, they can afford to have one be the street "truck" (Highlander) and one be the REAL truck - 4Runner. Runner has always been a real truck. If they end that tradition, there is no point in even producing it any more, since it is just stealing sales from highlander. Why would they do that?

I will, I will! If only they'd give 'em to the dealers, I'll be the first one in line in Phoenix!
    I am a bit skeptical of all your information!

1. Agree with you. I love the 4.7L V8!

2. Wrong! Many SUVs have a Torsen LSD as the center diff. I believe the Land Rover Disco (2003) and Range Rover has it. Doesn't RAV4 have something like that?? Torsen is not exclusive to Toyota.

3. That "algorithm" is nothing special. It is on all Lexus vehicles. I believe even newer Toyotas have the hill logic stuff.

4. Where did you get this info from?? If true, then great! That is pretty good! However, i doubt if it will come close to matching the Land Cruiser/LX470's frame strength, which is considered one of the strongest (if not the strongest) in SUV world!

5. WRONG! Air suspension does NOT increase ground clearance in a vehicle with solid axle. It will improve approach/breakover/departure angles...but NOT ground clearance!! The only vehicle that has air suspension that will ALSO increase ground clearance is the new Range Rover (due to it's all independent suspension). Also, the Range Rover uses electronic AIR SPRINGS, while Lexus uses electronic SHOCKS.

6. 4-channel ABS...pretty much standard for class.

7. "Tilt and telescope steering wheel standard, handy for changing between on and off road." WHAT???!!!

8. There is NO WAY in hell that the 4Runner is more capable than the Land Cruiser!!! Dude, you need to read your salesman's manual again!

9. uhhh...i don't think you should run REGULAR gas on the Land Cruiser/LX470's engine.

Frankly, your information is very biased and plainly wrong! I know you like to promote the 4Runner, but please, some of us do know a little bit about SUVs. I don't think you are that savvy salesperson...on the contrary, you're the worst kind, one that does not know much about his/her vehicles.
    "It's a Prado, essentially a 7/8ths scale Land Cruiser, but with even greater on and off-road ability than the current L/C IMHO."

How did you come to this conclusion???? The 2003 LC has a 5-speed auto, same 4.7L V8 engine, etc. The LC alone has good approach/breakover/departure angles withOUT electronic suspension (which some consider a bit UNreliable in off-roading).

How did you come to this conclusion??