Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I would think that the Prado, GX, and 4Runner all share the same platform. I would not think they would modify the suspension and frame JUST for the 4Runner. Anyway, elsewhere, the Prado is just as rugged as the 4Runner. In those countries, the Prado actually is the workhorse, unlike the mall-running/soccer-mom 4Runners in the US. The Prado is Toyota's answer to the Discovery.

Here is another idea: why not find out the MINIMUM ground clearance on the new Prado?? That should clear up some confusion.

Cargo space...if the new 4Runner's front AND rear seats were moved back (to improve legroom), wouldn't that decrease cargo space (regardless of rear seat being up or down)??? Could that explain the difference in cargo space between 3rd and 4th gen??
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I stopped by the dealership in Dearborn and all the 4runners were gone. I talked to one of the salesmen and he said that they were only on the lot 2 days and they were on their way to a big press release. He also said that a bunch of Ford and GM guys spent all day taking pictures of them. hhhmmmmmm.... interesting. I was really disappointed that they were gone, because I wanted to see them up close. I'm going to swing by Toyota Technical Center to see if they took them up there.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    what dimensions or weights are you guys wondering about?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Now what the heck are you doing over at Alexandria when I'm right around the corner? I'm actually fascinated by the response you got from them. I worked there for a couple of years and at the time, they were quite Internet friendly. With the exception of my current home here in Springfield, I actually found them to be be one of the better ones in this area.
    You have the actual brochure or just the full line brochure that came out this week?
    Well, i guess that i have to eat my shoes!

MINIMUM ground clearance = 8.9 (2wd), 9.1 (4wd)
    Approach/departure/breakover angles = 32/24/22 (4wd)

Legroom = 41.7 (f) and 34.7 (r) (is it more than 3rd gen??)

Height = 69.1 (2wd!)
    68.9 (4wd w/o air suspension)
    68.5 (4wd with air suspension)
    Length = 189
    Width = 73.8
    Turning diameter = 36.7
    Curb weight = 4420 lbs (Limited 4x4)

Engine V6 = 245 HP at 5200
    283 Torque at 3800
    Premium fuel is recommended.
    Fuel economy = 15/19 (V8 4wd)
    17/20 (V6 4wd)

TB, i guess this basically is everything you asked!

I must say that the new 4runner looks REALLY good! Excellent! Still very capable!

For more information (standard features, optional stuffs, and complete specs): (go to last few posts)

http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=5850#post5850

Now, where did i put my shoes? :)
    It is the "actual" brochure in the e-brochure form. I am sending you an email.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    WOW!!!!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I had posted this about two weeks ago on one of the Toyota topics (Sequoia, Land Cruiser or
    4Runner, GX470), bur I forgot which one...when I went back to check for any responses, I could
    not locate my original post...must be getting old or I might have been deleted...or maybe I forgot
    how to read my own post...anyway, if y’all would be so kind as to answer this (for either the first
    or second time) I would appreciate it, and please forgive my stupidity and transgressions of brain
    matter...

Comparing the 2003 GX470, 4Runner, Land Cruiser and Sequoia, what are the pluses and
    minuses of each, or to be specific, what are the REAL differences among them???...the engines
    are similar (V8s), I believe they are full size SUVs, the Land Cruiser may be the worst of both
    worlds: the price of the Lexus but without all the “courtesies and first class customer service”
    that Lexus is known to provide, etc.

Can those in the know highlight the differing factors among them, the similar factors among
    them, which one they would buy (or avoid) and reasons why...and, again, I thank you for your
    feedback, humoring an incompetent poster like myself.

I'd ask Cliffy to respond, but he has many vehicles to finance and may not have the time to give me the detailed answer I might receive (LOL)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In case you missed my other note, I have no record of your post being deleted.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    You're asking for a lot here but I'll try.

1. The 4Runner. It is a mid-sized SUV with the off-roader in mind. It is strong, built with a ladder frame and is very suitable for towing (although I am not happy with a 5000# capacity on the new V8). It can be had fairly plain to very luxurious. Being smaller than the others, it is easy to drive in town and this also makes it better on narrow trails.

2. The Cruiser. It is the ultimate expression of luxury with off-road capabilities. There are more luxurious and better off roaders (the Hummer H1) but nothing with both. Due to its short wheelbase, it is better off road than the Sequoia. There is something else intangible that makes it what it is. I really can't describe it but when you drive it, you will feel it. Its just awesome. It is less expensive than the LX and now only lacks a wood finish, height adjustable suspension and memory seating. The buying experience is not Lexus but neither is the price.

3. Sequoia. This is the SUV for soccer dads who also want to be able to tow and off-road. It is pretty long for extreme off roading but it will handle all but the most difficult trails well. While the Limited is VERY loaded with luxury features (including some that are still unavailable on the LC), it is missing that intangible feel I spoke of on the LC. It is a big beast.

That's a summary. I would hope that brochures and visiting a dealer would answer more of the details.
    I apologize but I can not email anyone the brochure until they are released ( I made one exception for cliffy {DON'T MESS ME UP, CLIFFY!!!}). I don't mind if he shares some info on some of the specs but it doesn't need to be posted or released to anyone yet.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    the whole truck has grown, remember? So, cliffy and I have been wondering that if the whole truck has gotten bigger, by about 3 to 5" in every direction, then why wouldn't there be a consistent ratio of growth? If they could increase the front leg room slightly, and the rear leg room slightly, then why would that encroach on the cargo space if those numbers don't add up to be more than the entire growth? There's only 3.5" more added leg room, which leaves 1.5" more for somewhere,so why the drastic decrease in cargo space? Even if that 1.5" was used elsewhere, the cargo space should remain the same or even get slightly bigger, because of the extra 3" of width. So, where did that space get used?

Ah, but cliffy has come up with the most logical theory, that it could have a longer hood, therefore pushing everything back, in addition to the longer body.

What you said was exactly my point about the Prado, that it's a rugged SUV over-seas, so maybe they just kept similar components on the GX as a cost-savings device. But then why spend the extra on the 4Runner to "dummy" some things down from off-road standards? That is a good question. It is a puzzle, unless, as you, myself, and others surmise, they're making this even more appealing to "soccer moms." Which seems to go against all logic; that the 4Runner would have some less rugged features than the more luxurious Lexus GX. It's very strange, and almost like Toyota couldn't make up their mind and got confused about their target markets.

And speaking of confused...what the heck was that guy talking about in the AutoWeek interview, when he said the 4Runner is geared toward younger couples/buyers?! That's true to an extent, but a $40K Limited? Younger buyers?! Come on! This guy proved to me that Toyota has their heads up their patooties about marketing. They could have easily put the REMOVABLE 3rd row seats in as an option or standard on the Limited. Why don't they just say that they don't want to take too many sales away from the Lexus, and be done with it? That is the only logical reason. I don't believe the bull about their "off-road customers" not wanting the "added weight," when they could be an option, and REMOVABLE!

Anyway, I still love this new truck! =o)
    Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate that and, as I said in my e-mail, I wont mess you up. Funny though that this site has managed to come up with just about everything that is in the brochure without ever seeing it. At this point, the brochure just confirms what we already knew.
  • iceman50iceman50 Member Posts: 20
    I am a bit confused about the interior volume that is given in the Toyota brochure. (It is available on another site) It lists the EPA cargo volume with the rear seats up as 42.2cf w/o the double decker cargo system and 40.6cf with the double decker cargo system; but with the rear seats folded it specifies the EPA cargo volume as 72.4cf w/o the double decker cargo system, and 75.1cf with the double decker cargo system. So it appears that the double decker cargo system increases the cargo volume with the seats folded, but decreases the cargo volume with the rear seats up. Could this possibly be due to the method the EPA uses to calculate the volume? That is, specific minimum box sizes? And could this explain the apparent cargo volume differential between the 2002 and 2003 4runners?
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    ""Final pricing was not available when we went to tape, but look for base stickers to range from $27,000 for an SR5 4X2, to $37,000 for a Limited 4X4.""

Limited is what I expected, but $27,000 for a 2WD SR5 is more than I expected.
    I have a very nice powerpoint presentation on the 2003 4Runner.

If anyone would like it let me know. It's a pretty big file at 35mb, but if your on a fast connection it won't take that long to download.
    I have noticed these "bad" stuff on the new 4Runner: (you guys know about the good stuff already)

1. DIAL 4wd switch
    2. PEDAL parking brake
    3. Slight decrease in ground clearance
    4. Approach/departure/breakover angle is only OK, especially breakover angle
    5. Rear legroom is less i think!
    6. THICKER anti-roll bars may mean less wheel travel/articulation!
    7. Less cargo room (debatable right now)
    8. 17" tires are slightly undesirable in off-roading (although i do like them!)
    9. V6 is all-aluminum (not a big deal)
    10. V6 has only a 4-speed auto
    11. Price is still up in the air...may get pricey with options!
    12. Exterior design is OK

Well, that is all i can say for now...otherwise, the new 4Runner looks like a winner. Still off-road capable.

I am still confused about ground clearance...how can the GX and 4Runner have different numbers?? What could Toyota have done to change it?? A possible (but unlikely) is that the 4Runner has a smaller rear axle (thus, the pumpkin is smaller), thus increasing the clearance. Or that the GX470 has more stuff hanging down on it's underbody??

The other weird thing is the difference between the GX and 4Runner regarding parking brake and 4wd transfer case.
  • deloiddeloid Member Posts: 18
    How do I download the program?
    dean
    since I know how busy you are, thank you for the detailed explanation...getting old just ain't as easy as it used to be...or, as Yogi Berra once said, "when you get to a fork in the road, take it"...

Bob
    Not sure if I am allowed to post the link.

Email me at JKulp42757@aol.com and I ll send it over to you.
    I remember about 6 months ago or so someone (I can't remember who) said they had seen the 2003 4Runner and that it looked like the Montero.

I agree, they do kinda look alike, at least from the front. I hate to say it, but the Montero looks better, in my opinion.

Check it out http://www.otcbbprofiles.com/images/runnermontero.jpg

• airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    In complete disagreement with the Montero post above. My opinion. Those huge fenders on the front look horrible.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I was just thinking that while the FRONT of the new Runner actually looks a lot better, the BACK looks exactly like the Montero Sport!

32/24/22 for approach/departure/breakover angles doesn't sound too good to me. I wish I could remember the exact numbers for the 3rd gen - are these better or worse?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Approach = 35
    Departure = 28
    Breakover = unknown
    Those are the numbers I had in my head for MY truck, but I didn't want to quote them, because I was not positive of their source.

So the new Runner is seriously sucking in that department, huh?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

32/24 (approach/departure) is not bad...it is well above average for the class...compare this to Envoy, MDX, Sequoia...the 4Runner positively shines against these competitors!

The Toyota Land Cruiser has 32/24 also; however, for a wheelbase of 112, it has a very good breakover of 24 degrees.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    is 22
    Mack
    of comparisons with other trucks, not MDX and the like. I am curious to know what these numbers are for Rubicon, trucks like that. Mainly I am disappointed they needlessly reduced the figures of the third gen.

Why oh why, couldn't they have just put a more powerful engine in the 3rd gen, maybe changed the look of the nose a little, and left everything lese the same?

Approach/departure/breakover angles:

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon: 45/34/25.8
    2003 Nissan Pathfinder: 33/28/NA
    2003 Nissan Xterra: 33/28.6/NA
    2002 Mitsubishi Montero: 39/18/NA
    2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: 31/22/NA
    2002 Land Rover Discovery II: 31/21/25 (with self-leveling: 31/25/25)
    2003 Range Rover: 32/29/28 (in HIGH mode)
    2003 Lexus GX470: 30/29/NA (in HIGH mode)
    2003 Lexus LX470: 32/26/24 (in HIGH mode)
    2003 Toyota Land Cruiser: 31/24/24 (correction from previous of 32/24/24)
    2002 Toyota Sequoia: 28/20/NA

2003 4Runner: 32/24/22
    2002 4Runner: 35/28/NA

2003 Acura MDX: 28/21/21
    2002 Toyota Highlander: 28/22/NA
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    That's called Alzheimer
    Thanks, I forgot...but the best part is that everyday I get to meet so many new friends...
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    Since my earlier quesiton regarding the rough idling and power loss in my 94 4runner, I have had the chance to put in 2 tankfuls of gas with the Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. I never noticed before, but when the level of my tank goes below 1/3 full, the rough idling and power loss become very severe. With the tank full, I have pretty good pick up and decent power. My guess is a fuel pump going bad.

What do you think?
    Thanks, intmed99. Those stats really help put things in perspective. If the Rubicon' breakover is only 25.8º, and some of the other proven off-roaders are only a few degrees more, then 22º doesn't seem that bad. And the Rubicon has a third less wheelbase! I wish the approach an departure angles at least equalled the 3rd gen, but those are only a few degrees, which makes sense with a longer body/wheelbase, and no additional lift.

I really don't think these changes are that significant, or detrimental, as intmed99 points out. I mean, if you got your protractor out and looked at the slight differences in those angles, they make it laughable that there would be that much concern about it.

Also, as intmed99 points out, I am a little concerned about the travel with bigger anti-roll bars, but the pictures seem to show excellent travel with the new X-REAS suspension. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    I don't agree with the design analysis comparing the new 4Runner to the Montero, or Sport, at all. I think the flow of the lines resemble each other, but that's where the similarities start and end.

Other than the obvious Toyota siblings, the only other SUV the new design reminds me of is the Trailblazer, just in the wheel wells and the rear. Now, I actually like elements of the Trailblazer's design, so an amalgamation of the 3rd gen with the Trailblazer is fine by me. But I think they took it further than that, and have created a very contemporary and exciting design that I won't get tired of for a long time. I'm still not tired of the 3rd gen, but I'm more excited about this one.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    No hard feelings. Your new friend, Roland (Be sure to remember my name)
  • bookem2bookem2 Member Posts: 1
    Do you guys know when the new 4runner is going to be available? I like the SR5 V6. The guys at the dealerships play the "I don't know. How about a 2002?" game. Much obliged.
  • airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    My local dealer in Denver let me know that they'll have some to test drive on the 5th of October. I trust one of the Internet Managers so this should be accurate info.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hope you are right airbur.

My dealer, usually very reliable, has been pushing back the test drive date for a while now (19,23,25 and now oct 3rd). I feel that they are only trying to keep me on the hook...

They are better to release it soon or else I will go and buy the plastic-less Pathfinder that I consider as the next best thing to the current 4Runner.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    The pics from Canadian Driver show the cladding to be a little less objectionable, IMHO. Must be the color. Green, perhaps darker, has always been my color of choice for a 4Runner. One of the mags felt the HVAC controls were a little strange, and that straight forward knobs might have been better; I'm inclined to agree. Only time and useage will tell. on that score. Overall, it's growing on me. Now PRICING!! BTW, thanks to World Traveler for the the above first drive.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Is October 15th. Initial allocation is V8, AND V8, and more V8. Six cylinder 4runner will be available "90 days after product launch" (straight from the New Product department desk)
    Mackabee
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    to me, that gray plastic cladding just makes the vehicle look cheap. don't like it at all...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    just type in "4Runner" in the search window, and you will get several pages of pixs.

Bob

http://www.wieck.com/public/index.html

• joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    beercoll1 wrote:
    Since my earlier quesiton regarding the rough idling and power loss in my 94 4runner, I have had the chance to put in 2 tankfuls of gas with the Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. I never noticed before, but when the level of my tank goes below 1/3 full, the rough idling and power loss become very severe. With the tank full, I have pretty good pick up and decent power. My guess is a fuel pump going bad.

Could be bad fuel, water in fuel. Empty tank and reload.

Good luck,

Jack
    October 15. There may be opportunity to view them and even put deposits on them before that, but they will not be on the lot for sale until then
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I heard Oct. 16th (sure your middle name isn't Buzz? ). Either way, that's just a bit over a couple of weeks away.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Write down Thursday October 10th because that will end up beign the release date for the 2003 4Runner.
  • ductapeductape Member Posts: 3
    Brochures available in dealerships beginning October 7th depending on mail time.

Intro and 60-day media blitz begins October 10th.

3-D website coming soon.
  • flavflav Member Posts: 1
    Everyone I talk to about this idea of Aluminum block in the v6 says its a bad idea. Ive talked to some GM car dealers who say that chevy and Cadilac have tried this but that aluminum doesnt last and that it didnt work. I also talked to a mechanic I know who said under pressure of heavy towing this block could malfunction.