Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Greedy? Now why would you go and use a word like that? The car hasn't even hit the ground and we haven't seen official pricing and you have decided that if a dealer is selling a Limited for $40K he is being greedy. A better way to phrase that might be "I'll wait until demand dies down until market conditions don't demand such a premium on the loaded model that has all the features I want."
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I have spoken with a few Seattle area dealers that I do business with and they have already stated that it's sticker price and beyond for several months. The Sales Managers that I spoke with stated that they were told not to dicker, period! I understand that the dealer wants to make $$,but, I just don't play the game well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Car & Driver review

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    ....$39K and up? WHOA.

Can't you get a limited Sequoia for $42K? Sheesh. Other than weight/slower acceleration/1-2 mpg lower...It seems a better buy for a Sequoia. I am wondering where the 4.0 V6 4runnner will range on price. I am definitely a fan of the limiteds (like my current 4runner), and WAS contemplating an '03 LTD V8.

I can't stand the plastic flares/panels. My 2 cents: The two-tone body color IMO will die out in out 2004. Just look at the 2002 Sequoias. Toyota will put out the 2nd year (4th generation)4runners and the SR5s/Sports will have a monotone, color-keyed flares/panel option. They will do this especially for the '03 SR5/Sport buyers who couldn't wait. I know because my buddy bought a 2-tone Sequoia SR5 in '01 (black/tan), and what happened in 2002---->Monotone was available in the SR5s. He went crazy.
    Anyhow...I am now going to wait until the V6 arrives in Dec/Jan. Then depending on price, maybe I might factor an SR5 Sequoia Leather/moonroof for the same.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I was just providing the info we have been waiting for. MSRP on a loaded 4x4 Limited is 39600.

Dealers can sell them for whatever profit margin they and the consumer agree is fair to both parties.

I remember the very first Highlander I sold was to a couple that offered a figure that was just above invoice. We sold it to them and went on to the next case.

Some of the new 4Runners will go at MSRP and some will go for less.

It scares me that we blanket what we feel what a dealer will or not do by the posts we see. If you like the vehicle I suggest you go and drive it and let your local dealer work a few figures for you to consider. I do not think anyone would expect you to buy a 40k vehicle if the price and value was agreeable to you.

I assure you that if you want a new 4Runner you will be able to buy one at a fair price.
    How is it that a dealer that tells you the price up front is playing a game? Seems pretty straight forward to me. If the demand is there for MSRP, then that is a fair price. If the demand isn't there, the dealer will not be able to sell it and it will not be a fair price.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Yes, you should drive it at least 10 miles a month to help the front axle. You can do this by driving in a straight line on the highway (on dry land). The only problem you will encounter is when you make a turn...thus, just cruise on the highway and you will be OK. Of course, if you have a little off-roading course near you, you can also have fun while doing this every month!
  • bruces4bruces4 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you sir. Will do.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    You should be fine just driving it in 4WD every couple of months. I've been doing this for 12+ years. Never had a problem.
    MSRP 39565.74 (w/some goodies) + OUCH!
    It might not be a bad idea to just have that gray plastic garb re painted to match the body color. It would still be a lot cheaper than a Limited.

Damn Toyota.

Just a little aggression.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    I guess it depens what kind of material they have used for the flares etc.

Also it would be difficult to find the exact same color.....

Unless you buy a bunch of touch up bottles !!!!!!

One big touch up.......
  • bruces4bruces4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for answer my question about part-time 4 wheel drive on my 98 4 runner.

The manual says I suppose to drive in 4 wheel drive mode at least 10 miles per month to keep front wheels proper lubricated. Drive on dry road will destroy the system. What should I do ?

Thanks
    Bruce
    The color should be an issue. Most body shops paint new body parts with the correct OEM color anyway. I have even had a shell repainted to match. Can't tell.
    If the flares are not metal it is possible that the paint, even the right one, might not offer the same finish.

I'm not sure if they would be able to paint plastic with the same type of paint.

It might end up not very nice.

Again, a 800$ paint job on a brand new 2003 33K vehicle is crazy.......
    Take your new 4Runner off-road a couple of times, especially rock crawling, and get scratches on it...then you have a reason to repaint the whole 4Runner to any color you want! :)
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    The consumer(s) set the prices and there are fools who will pay over MSRP. If every consumer refused to pay a penny over MSRP than the dealers will have to sell the vehicles at a lower price. The manufacture lists the MSRP and there is a healthy profit in there for the dealer at full price. But there will be consumers who will ruin it for the rest of us and pay a premium plus to be the first one on their block to own one.

I'm not positive but I think I have been following this 2003 4runner and all the rumors since around April 2002. I have been pretty enthusiastic about getting a new vehicle and was initially very disappointed with the original spy pictures taken by Paul S. I have grown to really like the new looks, but still have a few disappointments such as SR5 bumps on the fender flares, the two tone SR5, and the "skunk stripes" on the Limited.

Between the few things I don't like,the news embargo nonsense, this being a brand new vehicle, and the port problems , I really couldn't care less at this point if I'm able to get my hands on a new 4runner or not. Spending $30,000 to $40,000 plus should not be this frustrating. Plus most of the dealers will no less about the vehicle than the customer does (present board members who are dealers excluded of course).

Anyway, I am looking forward to test drive one. When someone gets to drive one would you kindly post which model you drove. I have been interested in the Limited but it has been posted here that to get the X-REAS suspension on the Limited it would have to be a factory order and I would like to hear how everyone likes the Sport's suspension.

We all waited this long and I hope everyone sticks to their guns and refuses to get burned during negotiations. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    I wonder how they are painting the panels on the Limited. Can't be much different. Most bumpers on new cars and some trucks are plastic. They seem to be able to be re painted just fine.

I guess either way you slice it offroad, you'll get paint chips on metal or plastic body parts.

I wish they would have stuck with full metal body panels. Unlike metal, those plastic parts not only have to be re painted but filled in as well, when scratched up a bit. The plastic is softer than metal and gouge quite easily.
    intmed99, plastic will scratch too, it won't be as visible than scartched paint but still there will be a scratched area.

Also, I'm really looking forward to do some rock climbing with my brand new 2003.

Serious off-roading and rock climbing is done with customized older vehicles. This plastic we are complaining about will be useful in 2007.

Serious off-roaders have no time to waste in a new vehicle forum.....
  • klc5610klc5610 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the warranty will be the same as the 02? Any details on the cargo dimensions behind front seats with 2nd seats folded down and 2nd row seats up?
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    The warranty is the same as the 2002. Cargo space is 42.2 cubic feet or 40.6 with the double decker and with back seat down it is 75.1 or 72.4 with the double decker. (The double decker is a shelf in the cargo compartment which can be removed.) The cargo space is down a little from the 2002. Payload is also down, 1055 pounds to 1100 pounds for the 2003 model.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Posting your message one time is quite adequate. Thank you.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I can guarantee that 99% of the people buying the limited version will not be taking it off-road. When I had my $40K JGC and took it on a black diamond run, I almost had a heart attack while climbing the rocks. 6 hours later, I told myself I won't be doing that again in $40k truck. That is why people buy cheap 4x4 and upgrade them so they won't have to scratch up their new SUV's.
    For the other 1% of buyers, they will probably wait a couple of years, buy a used model, save $5-8K and take the full advantage/capabilities of the 4runner.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that is so true! No-one buys a brand new truck to go offroading in, do they? That is why you buy the 3-5 year old version...which still makes it very interesting to see what is going on when the vehicle is brand new, so that you will know all the little details later on when it is your turn to have one! I sure would not want to scratch up a $35K truck.

bruces: there must surely be one place nearby where you can get that truck onto some dirt! If not, driving in a straight line on dry pavement is not a problem, with 4WD engaged. Maybe you could find a long street nearby with a really long straightaway??!!

I dunno - I have never had this problem - all I use mine for is offroading, so 4WD is engaged more than half the time...helps to live near places where you can get it into the dirt.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    My Toyota guy called me today to let me know that they'll be getting their first 2003 4Runners in on Thursday, and that he'll call me "as soon as they hit the ground!" I can't wait to FINALLY get to test drive one!!!
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Are we reaching a turning point here, even before it hits the lots?!

Like you, I've been reading here and waiting a long time - since DECEMBER 1999! :> Man, back then people were screamin' about when this new Runner would debut. First it was 2001 maybe, then 2002, then 2002.5, and here we are now as a LATE 2003 (V6s still months away!). Like now, everyone back then was praying that Toyota would keep the same rugged lines and mean lookin' monochromatic schemes - they thought no way Toyota would pull a Subaru Outback two-tone on us . . .

WRONG. Ok, what to do? Turning Point.

I too think they will probably come out with monochrome options on the SR5/Sports for 2004. Unfortunately, I can't wait as my 10 year old terrarium with wheels is shot . . . just found out it won't pass VA inspection without ~2 grand in repairs and registration is up. So, I have to buy something like right NOW, hence, my Plan B over to the Dark Side of the Edmund's Town Hall.

Buttttttt, I am guessing that a lot of you can afford to hang out a bit on the sidelines and see what happens here. Given this year's "two-groan" looks with silver ornaments, the MSRP prices that supply and demand will most likely set the first year (remember the 1996 debut!), the first year out on the new aluminum V6 engine, the fact that most will want the V6 engine which won't be available until Jan./Feb. . . . all this should tell one IMO to wait the 6-8 months required when the 2004 comes out (maybe a 3rd row for those who seem to love that idea?) and you can get a monochrome SR5 with 17" wheels (can't believe the 16" wheel debacle . . .) or a monochrome Sport withOUT that "spoil-er" (or with a truckish lookin' spoiler befitting this machine.) [If I had my druthers, that's what I would do . . .]

This is a lot of money at stake here; although I look to be taking a little detour of my own, maybe there is at least a corner ahead in the distance for the rest of the Toyota loyalists.

Will be interested to hear how this all shakes out for ya'll . . .

P.S. Update to 4Runner vs. H2 vs. Pathfinder office poll (appearance only):

H2: 33

Pathfinder: 36

4Runner: 9

[yes, I get A LOT of visitors where I work . . .]
    I think too that Toyota will have a monochromatic option for the 2004 SR5 (at least for the sports model).

But that could hit their Limited sales. The two major reasons to buy a Limited is monochromatic paint and leather. It took them many years to offer the current 3rd gen flares in monochromatic tone on another model than the Limited and probably they did that only to help sales that were not that good.

As well they would make us pay for it adding at least 1000$ for that option bringing a sports close to 35k..... Hmmm it's getting expensive for a non luxury mid-size SUV.
    I took my '02 4Runner Ltd 4wd off-road:

http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?s=f23aa4064da6beed962323a3a4327242&threadid=910

Ok...so i am a bit crazy...but hey that is why i bought the 4runner, instead of GX470 (nice SUV BTW)!

Our district manager will be here this morning with a 2003 Runner for salesman training. Anybody in the Northern VA area who wants a sneak peak should stop by.
    You are a special case. I'm sure hat 90%+ will never go beyond country backroads and mud roads in the first 3 years of their truck.

When I bought my 99 I quickly realized that it was almost a mistake from an off-roading perspective. I should have bought a car then and an old suv for the fun. But I needed the SUV to pull my boat....

No matter what I'll buy in the next few days (4Runner or Pathfinder) I'm also buying an ATV (Honda Foreman 450ES). To my liking ATV are much more fun offroad. Also I prefer by far damaging my 6k bike than my 35k truck. It would take a serious accident to damage an ATV and you don't have to worry about scratching.

And to make things worst, right now payments of both the Pathfinder and Foreman are 20$ over the the payment of a 2003 4Runner sports alone. Almost two for the price of one....

Ok, I know what you'll be saying intmed99....
    Lucky you !!!!

I hope that things won't lag too much here in Canada. I'm really eager to see and test one before making my final decision.

How many hours drive Northern VA ??? If I leave now.....
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    http://wieck.com/public/*2PV_043793

I really like this color. There appear to be three blue or gray colors that will come on the 4Runner. Is this one Galactic Gray(1E9), Stratosphere Mica(8Q0), or Pacific Blue metallic(8R3)? The pacific blue I think was in Paul's original photos (and doesn't look quite like this) and the stratosphere in those dealer lot photos appears alot darker than the post linked above.

Other colors on the HiLux Surf that may/will make it to the 4Runner: white silver black, dorado gold, and we know jade (like the '02) from Paul's photos.

Well, our DM was here and is about to leave. I got a chance to rummage around it and found out a few things.

1. I like the spoiler.
    2. It is now confirmed that Toyota is using a new measurement system for cargo volume. If the same standards were used on the 3rd generation as they do on the 4th, you would find that the new one has about 5 cubic feet MORE cargo volume.
    3. Ground clearance is noticeably lower.
    4. The front seat is MUCH more adjustable and tall customers will love it.
    5. Because the front seat can be lowered so much more, the back seat passenger can not get his toes underneath the front seat which makes the back seat seem a bit less comfortable.
    6. This discomfort is offset by the increased width.
    7. Downhill and uphill assist features are VERY cool. As a person who does occasionally go off road I am impressed. Also, those who tow boats will really appreciate the uphill assist when pulling a boat from a steep ramp.
    8. Those back-up assist mirrors are not present if you have the JBL stereo which is to say we will never see them.

Just about everything else was as expected. I think we have a BIG winner here. For those of you who have been thinking about this, you owe it to yourself to check them out in person before making a decision.
    Galactic gray. That is the color of the Limited my DM just had here.
    When will you get them ??? Tomorrow (oct 10) or do we have to wait a couple of days/weeks more ?
    We get at least one tomorrow and have several more arriving before month's end. All dealers should have a similar situation.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    I also heard from my guy in Kirkland that possibly tomorrow or Friday they should get two '03s for demonstration purposes only. He also said that they won't be selling them until their 1st shipment arrives (which is projected for the end of October). I'm presuming an SR5 & a LTD.
  • 4skinner4skinner Member Posts: 8
    I was reading about the air box mods for HP gain on gadgets web site. he state that by removing the air box snorkle or the face plate ofthe air box you can gain some 30hp.

So has anyone done any of these mods? or knows someone that has and the results of the mods? Thanks for ytour help.

One last note to Town Hall monitors. There needs to be a seperate and EXCLUSIVE 2003 4Runner forum.
  • doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    may be i'm dreaming, but it was very fast. i saw one standing on my right waiting for the light when i was passing the traffic. i almost wanted to make a U turn to see that again. it's a silver....... i could be wrong but i ususal have good eyes for that kind of thing, espeically since i have been watching the pics so many times.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major weekly magazine would like to talk with recent Toyota buyers who are under the age of 35. If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to me at jfallon@edmunds.com with your name, daytime phone number and city/state of residence before Wednesday, October 16, 2002.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

. . . sorry, impossible to get down there - the blank hit the fan today.

Anyway, sounds like some big improvements over 3rd Gen, but I was curious to learn whether there was anything that you did NOT like? What colors were they (only Galactic Gray?)? From your DM, is there any realistic chance of 2004 doing anything different? (I'm guessing that was not a big topic of conversation though! . . . ;> ) Maybe I could buy a used 3rd Gen for now and wait a bit . . . hmmmm.
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    I saw one too!
    Serious!
    I almost flew out of my car window when I saw it. I was southbound merging into the San Diego freeway from Santa Monica when I saw a beautiful blue 2003 Limited and the license plate said "797"!!! That's the one in the spy shots (was it going to Torrance?). I drove beside it and passed it up on the left. Hey, that Limited is beeeaaauuutiful up close. If I had that cash to spend, it would definitely be a nice gift to myself (if it had a scoop and non-leather seats, that is). I wonder if they'll have any at the Long Beach auto show next week?
    There needs to be a seperate and EXCLUSIVE 2003 4Runner forum.

I don't see a need for one since '03 discussions are obviously of interest to existing 4Runner owners. What does everyone else think?

tidester
    Host
    ditto. keep it all here.
    About the only thing I didn't like was that the back seat passenger can't get his feet under the front seat and the 5000# tow capacity. I don't understand that one.

Oh... news flash! The V6 will require 91 octane gas but the V8 only requires 87.
    That's part of the Future Vehicles discussion which, of course, everyone is invited to participate in. We were talking about the SUVs board here.

tidester
    Host
    I agree, we should keep everything on this board. Who wants to keep shuffling around to different boards for the 4Runner? Nuts.
    Looking forward to your test drive review. You must be foaming instead of drooling at the mouth by now.

More sugar please!
  • 4skinner4skinner Member Posts: 8
    And tidester if its part of the future vehicles forum then why is the link ot it named "4runner-2003?

Im talking about a 2003 4runner SPECIFIC board. Others like me post stuff for previous year 4runners and theyre lost in all the of 2003 posts.

If