Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    And tidester if its part of the future vehicles forum then why is the link ot it named "4runner-2003?

For the same reason this discussion is called "Toyota 4Runner" in the SUV Forum! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Are you interested in my '02 4Runner? :) Hehehe, this will be my down payment for the '03! :) j/k
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Mrwhipple, LOL! I had better not have any Dr. Pepper tomorrow, or I'm likely to explode! ;o)

While I got to see the 12 new 4Runners at the sales seminar at the Sky Harbor Marriott in Phoenix, I didn't get to drive one. But I will tomorrow! My Toyota sales guy called again today to tell me they'll be getting 2; one to sell and one for demos. I'll be back here to share my feedback soon after!

–TB
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm off tomorrow. I really hope we don't sell ours before I come back on Friday afternoon. Oh well... my Tundra lease isn't up for another month anyway.
  • 4skinner4skinner Member Posts: 8
    Then why is that one of the forums specifies a specific year and the other forum doenst? and how can they be the same then?

You totally lost me on your response.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Does anyone know a dealer that will have one this week at in the LA area? Every dealer I talked to had no idea and said it would more than likely bbe next week some time.
    Too much sugar today!
    Those are pretty good prices!!! Wow! Toyota is feeling generous these days! Those MSRPs are not that much different from the '02 models.

Excellent.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I just saw where the prices are released to the public tomorrow so we will use very close round numbers instead of the exact figures. Let me rephrase my post in a general term:

SR5 2WD AROUND 28000
    SR5 4WD AROUND 30300

SPORT 2WD AROUND 30000
    SPORT 4WD AROUND 32100

LIMITED 2WD AROUND 34200
    LIMITED 4WD AROUND 36500

I'm just trying to keep everyone happy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, Sbell4, did someone send you an email (none of us here at Edmunds did, afaik!).

It'll certainly be nice when the press embargo ends on this puppy.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    No one sent me an email and I know it isn't a big deal and everyone is sick and tired of the secreacy BUT a few more hours isn't going to hurt anyone.

I simply saw the prices and posted and then read the price announcement.

I am fortunate enough to be able to go and do a lot of things that Toyota pays for so I would never want to do anything that was wrong or unethical. No big deal.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    whoa.
    are you sure those aren't invoice numbers?,
    are these actual, or estimated, or even US models?

I know suddenly a few minds, after reading your post are now maybe changing their outlook to buying a limited. hmm kinda suspect tho'
    Just kidding.

Those are close estimates of retail without any options.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    LOL..yeah we'll see the actual sticker figures MSRP soon.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    - Texas is a long way . . . but I guess now my Plan C! ;>

Nothing posted here has changed my crumbled Plan A, I have not been able to rationalize the cognitive dissonance I still feel about the fact that everything is pretty much as we predicted based on spy shots months ago. I may have to move on with Plan B with world_traveler . . . I like the idea of having some money to invest in the down market (as they say, buy LOW and we are LOW!)

. . . but I'm working on secret Plan X to see whether Toyota will cut me one of those insider $35.5K deals on a loaded Limited if I am interviewed by Newsweek Mag and give the "right" interview . . . . [Toyota, you listening????] :>>>>!!!
    Then why is that one of the forums specifies a specific year and the other forum doenst?

I don't know what's complicated about it. When the '03 4Runner discussion was set up in Future Vehicles the '03 was still in the future - which now happens to be only a few days off. The person who creates the discussion (anyone can do this) specifies the title.

If there is enough demand, we can set up an '03 specific discussion here in SUVs.

tidester
    Host
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    I have plan B all set. I'm just waiting on a 034Runner test drive before executing. I'm sure I'll like the interior and ride but not the price vs (exterior and features).

I've done some calculations and I still can't afford a Limited if I want to be reasonnable. I would be putting way too much money on cars.

Now its a question of if I can live with a sports. From the pictures is a big "NO". I'll have to see in person for a final call.

I just don't know when the trucks will appear at Canadian dealers......
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    how long it will be (if ever) before there will be any '03s around with no options or packages? I do believe this MSRP base pricing is right on the money, but I bet there will not be a single one out there without several thousand $$ worth of add-on stuff. It is just Toyota's way...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Today, "ciffly1" wrote "2. It is now confirmed that Toyota is using a new measurement system for cargo volume. If the same standards were used on the 3rd generation as they do on the 4th, you would find that the new one has about 5 cubic feet MORE cargo volume."

Confirmed by who? If Toyota admits this I would think 1/2 million 4Runner owners may be mildly ticked off. Toyota will have to write letters to all the owners about there miss-measurement, kind of like Hyundai. Think of it Cliffy could be starting the next Toyota "sludge" like fiasco. Edmunds will have to start another Forum strictly for the "great measurement problem" or on the other hand it could just be a statement of a person trying to justify the 2003 4Runners. So which one is it?

http://www.car-data.com/xpage.news/news.template.asp?article=hyundai.announces.hp.rating.errors.txt

My dealer confirmed that he ordered his first few batches of new 4Runner fully loaded. The first few buyers of a new model are impulsive buyers with lots of money that do not worry for the additional costs as long as they have the new car in town first.

I guess you will be able to get a base model on order and be ready to wait over 3 month for it.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    How did Toyota measure cargo space before, and how are they measuring it now (I never realized there would be more than one way to measure? What is the real amount of cargo space in the previous 4Runner?
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    Way back a couple months ago there were about 200 messages a day about the Pilot. the dealer near my house wanted $3k over the sticker price when i drove by and looked at what i think is one of the uglier vehicles around. ((i suspect it was the first time their minivan design team had ever put out a SUV)).

drove by the place last week (next to the toyota dealer) and they had 10 of them sitting there -and nothing above MSRP -- and i'm guessing they would go below.

Needless to say, economy changes things...
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Why is everyone getting their shorts in a bunch over the price of the 03 4runner? Compared to the last generation the prices are just a tad higher and you are getting a lot more vehicle. I'll never understand.

Mackabee
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Man, did you guys see all of the different stuff they have in Japan for the Hilux-Surf, through Toyota, like the Rugged Appearance Package? The link won't take you directly there; go to the 3rd column and click on the 2nd subject with only one line of ???????? Check it out:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/hiluxsurf/

Keep clicking on all the different links and you'll see what I mean!

• steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    It will most likely be quite some time before you see a new generation 4Runner without any options/packages on them. To strip one down would require a special order. In the Chicago Region we have already been told no Special Orders on the 4Runner until further notice. (That same restriction is still in effect on Highlanders so I anticipate it being that way for awhile on the 4Runner)

If I am correct, import tariffs are based on base MSRP, that is why Toyota breaks out the pricing the way it is.

I can't wait for that transport to arrive here today with two 03's onboard.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I had the dealership give me a call when they got one in.

They called me this morning so I got dressed and ran over there to take a look.

They had a Black 4wd Sport. It seemed to have everything on it, except the DVD Navigation. The MSRP was $35,950

I wanted to be impressed, but I just wasn't. The inside is nice, I like the dash layout, the gauges are nice, and the backseat has a good amount of room, I sat back there and it was fine.

The outside is a different story. The plastic cladding does not look as bad in person, as it does in some of the pictures, but I still do not like it. And the front, even with the hood scoop just looks too wimpy now, the previous generation looked muscular, this looks like the wimpy brother. Sorta like the movie twins, the 3rd generation was Arnold, this one is Danny Divito, from the appearance point of view. Appearance is about 85 - 90% of what I consider on a vehicle. It didn't even excite me enough to want to take a test drive. I didn't even bother with it.

Again, I tried to like this vehicle, I WANTED to like it, but as of right now I just CAN'T.

I found myself liking this vehicle for the cool features (DAC, VSC, Traction Control,)only.

I asked myself, if the 4Runner looked the same as it does, but didn't have the cool features, would I even remotely consider it? No.

:-(
    My local dealer in Atlanta has the 2003 4Runner on it's web page. The dealer has a list of 17 or so on their page, with prices. Also if you click on the ones that have a delivery date 0f 10/10/02 they may have a picture. Also they have a list of 700 more available for the Southeast if you hit the right icon.

To see this you must go to my link and then select 4Runner, then click on "Search Inventory". Unfortunately no specs or options are included on these pages. At least it gives you a idea of what is coming. Enjoy.

http://www.atlantatoyota.com/frameset4.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_vehicle_search

The SR5 prices are OK...but the Limited 4x4 is $45K!! I think that is more than $6000 than the '02 Ltd. 4x4.
    The pricing seems to be $28,005 for the SR5 2WD to 36,480 Limited 4WD, all are V8's so the V6 will be less. And don't forget to add the $535 for shipping. Note: These prices are for the Southeast U.S. and may be different elsewhere. Over all not a big jump, considering they all have V8's.
    Dealer: Atlanta Toyota
    Phone: 888-580-9670

Model: 4Runner 4WD LTD V8
    Model Year: 2003
    Transmission: 4 Spd. Auto ECT
    VIN: JTEBT17R730005237
    Color: Titanium
    Interior: Taupe Leather
    Price: $44,768

When you start getting up around $45k, that is dangerous territory. I mean, for only 5k more you can get a loaded Hummer H2. If your spending 45k, might as well make it 50k, in my opinion.
    I just checked another dealer web site. They have information too. So if you know your local dealer's web site, you may want to give them a check. Here is the web site for Marietta Toyota.

http://www.mariettatoyota.com/frameset4.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_vehicle_search

• kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Here is a link to a dealer in the SE, that posts MSRP and invoice on his stock, and on the page is a further link to all of SE Toyota's inventory.

http://www.tuscaloosatoyota.com/frameset4.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_vehicle_search
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    that dealer is obviously marking them up and additional 5k. We received 6 4runners this morning, 1 ltd, 2 sport, 3 sr5's. Ltd MSRP is 40,000.00 Sport 4wd v8 35k, the least expensive is an SR5 V8 2WD with the moonroof, roof rack, running boards, cargo trap, and alloy wheel package at a very reasonable $31,106.00 MSRP. No ADM's at my store. I still can't get over the plastic cladding. It looks ok on the Stratosphere blue and the Black, but kinda looks like the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute. Actually on the Ford/Mazda it looks ok as it's not so overpowering. The interiors on all three trim levels are beautiful. Fine quality cloth, and plastics. The Limited leather is also very high quality. The 2wd Sr5 came with the back-up mirrors all others have the JBL stereo system on them.

: )
    Mackabee
    Should we take the invoice info off of our website for the new 4Runner?

Good idea or Bad idea?

Our customers like the info and we want everyone to be able to make a well informed decision but it will not be long before we get phone calls from dealers across the country asking why we post invoice info.

Kullenberg found it on our website even before I did!
    I can't help but be so disappointed when I hear of that cladding. How could they......?

So unfortunate.......
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I wouldn't worry about it. Poeple can figure the invoice at approx 90% of MSRP, which will be very close.
    Hummer H2 has a lot of quality issues...just go over to Hummer H2 board here on Edmunds.
    Keep the invoice pricing.

I mean, the customer can find it anyway, so it looks better to show it. At least that would be my opinion if I was going to go to a dealership and buy one
    Yes, the H2 has had some issues. But they have all been stupid little things like weatherstipping, etc.. No big problems like engine, transmission, brakes, or 4WD system. Just the normal kinks in a 1st year model.
    O.K. after posting the Marietta Toyota link I went down to look at the new 4Runner. It was blue with gray cladding. My first impression was it was much wider. Also the cladding had those dents in it and yes it still looks bad. The running boards are different and looked nice. The door pillar had a black texturized rubber on it and it seem to fit the car. The car was a 2WD SR5 and listed for $32,500 with the options. The cargo shelf which was about 1" thick folded flat on the floor when not in use, a nice touch.

The engine hood lifted up by itself, no having to find the metal pole. The V8 looked better in person, there was some room to get to things. Not as crowded as the picture shows.

Inside I first found the head room had not improved. I couldn't fit, if your 6'4" you won't fit with a sunroof. It was much wider and the seats, although cloth were nicer than my 2001 4Runner. It still had a CD and Cassette player in the car, a nice feature. It had a coin holder, something I really miss in my 4Runner. I didn't drive it since I wasn't interested in buying and I didn't want to waste their time. When I left, the salesman took someone out and it followed me. In my rear view mirror it looked rough and tough, at least the front of it look that way. Their were no lights on, so it had no DRL. Oh by the way, the instruments were easy to read and it had a lot of plastic silver trim on the dash.

Overall I liked the inside better than the outside and the best angle of the car is from the front. I probably won't post too much for awhile, I'll let all of you new buyers give a chance to post their impressions. :)
  • charliebrown25charliebrown25 Member Posts: 3
    i just saw 2 truck loads of the 03 runners. Heading north on the 605 in Southern Cal. My jaw dropped...too bad they were heading the opposite direction. I guess the ports are open. Last time I felt this way was when i saw Jennifer Lopez at a restaurant here in LA.
    I'm waiting for a v6 limited (undecided color) and that fabulous tax return to hit home in the spring. Hopefully the hype and the demand will settle by then and i can get a decent deal.

cliffy or anyone else that may know...if i go into a dealer in March and ask for a silver limited with navigation and NO other bells & whistles (trying to keep it under 40k.), and tell them i'm willing to wait weeks for it.... is that possible? Or are they just going to drown me with extras i don't want or need?
    I'd appreciate the info.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Picked one up yesterday. The V8 only has a 1 mpg penalty over the V6!

Bob
  • runnerfanrunnerfan Member Posts: 7
    Price will be between 39,100 and 50,555 Can$
  • runnerfanrunnerfan Member Posts: 7
    http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/4runner/exterior/4runner_exterior.html

Look like toyota.com is updating their files on the 2003 4Runner. check this site !!!

My '02 4Runner has the coin holder in the upper tier of the centerc console.
    That Atlanta site has the 4-speed tranny listed for the V8. It should be the 5-speed.
    With the new 4Runners going on sale, I can understand your exuberance and excitement to share information and to see the pics and prices.

Please note, however, that solicitation is still against the rules in the Town Hall. To stay within the rules, please refrain from providing contact information such as phone numbers, addresses and names of specific salespeople. Including that kind of information places your post into the category of solicitation.

We will tolerate links to websites as long as they are strictly for informational purposes.

Thanks!

tidester
    Host
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    So far, the results of survey on exterior appearance are being born out here. Even among those who have seen in person, the majority so far are finding exterior issues and only a minority seem to be sold on the new look (I refuse to pay over $30K for something that should grow on me . . .). In speaking with a research reporter, preliminary feedback from focus group is that GEN-X and GEN-Y'rs (e.g., those who don't need 3rd row seats . . . at least not yet . . .:> ) are not diggin' these new Toyota exteriors either . . . will let you know when issue is released! I will be going to Toyota tonight or tomorrow for a close encounter . . .
    Well, i have an '02 4Runner. I understand that many of you don't like the exterior look. However, it is not THAT bad. Toyota did not weaken the look that much, if at all.
    I don't think "plastic" parts help any vehicles' exterior aesthetics any.