Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
edited July 2014 in Pontiac
Tell us about buying your new G8!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• ix007ix007 Member Posts: 23
    There isn't a forum for pricing or leasing on Pontiac G8's, so I figured I would post here. Does anyone know the current MF, residual and dealer cash for a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT? I have to assume these are not moving exceptionally well in this market, so hopefully Pontiac is aggressive especially on 2008's . Thanks for the help
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I found this for you.

link title

$521/month...no deal for me!

Regards,
    OW
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    May be back on my G8 kick, the price at $27-28k out the door with tax for the GT is just hard to beat, even with a used E500 4-matic.

I'll change my mind a few more times before I buy something though.

-mike
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    " $27-28k out the door with tax for the GT"

Where & exactly how did you negotiate that deal?

With base MSRP ( 2008 ) of $30K for a G8 GT & tax generally in the 6% range -
    well, I am impressed!
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Still thinking 2009 - at more $$s....
    2022 X3 M40i
    I'm basing that on Invoice price, and with them literally stacking up at dealers here in NJ, and gas holding at $4.00/gal, I figure sometime around Dec 26th, the dealers will let em go real cheap to get em off the books at year end combined with RWD in the winter...

I'd never pay anywhere near MSRP for these cars!

-mike
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Aha - I see.
    I mis-understood...
    Sorry.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Recalced, with incentives, etc. no more than 27.5k full loaded (Sport, Premium, Roof) at the end of the year. So figure about $29k with tax.

-mike
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Ask your Pontiac G8 lease questions here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Keep us posted...my dealer has more G8 's on the lot that are not moving as fast as the first few they got.

Could be worth it for my next ride if that price is delivered!

Regards,
    OW
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yep, they are piling up on the lots. They'll have to do something. Not now, but later.

Also, keep in mind that the new Dodge Challenger is out, and if you look on ebay, they have literally 3 pages of them. Talk about an amazing car as well, but with the economy, they as well have introduced at a bad time. Though, I think the Challenger will get even worse mileage. It will impact sales.
  • jgittlemanjgittleman Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up a 09 GT Sunroof & prem package Leasing was not an option
    Gm had a 60mtg & 72mth buy 4.9% & 5.9%
    We paid invoice minus 1K Gm card $ 2,5K Dealier incentives total 3.5K under Invoice Excellent deal Great Car
    Nice, where are you located?

I think I'll be picking up an 09 G8 GXP next year due to the 6MT option and Brembos.

-mike
  • don129don129 Member Posts: 5
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

$32,295 MSRP

Paid:
    29,806 GMS Pricing
    -8,150 Trade (2004 Grand Prix GTP/CompG,43k Miles)... Galves Value is $8,425
    -1,598 GM Card Earnings
    +1,759 NY Sales tax
    $21,817 OTD

I'm gonna miss my HUD
    Which options did you have? Premium + Sport + Roof?

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • don129don129 Member Posts: 5
    Mike... options are premium, roof & all season tires
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi ix007. forget about leasing a G8. At least for now, General Motors has basically pulled the plug on leasing. If you really want to lease a G8, you would have to do so through an independent bank, if one was willing to step up to the plate. The only incentives that GM is running on the G8 right now are is an unattractive 6.9%-7.9% special financing offer and of course its Employee Discount for Everyone promotion.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    Advertised at $25,595 pre-tax. Is this a good deal or will waiting yeild a better bargain as G8s stack up in the lots? I doubt there is very much difference between the 2008 and 2009 versions since it was introduced so recently. This is not the GTX, which is a 2009 offering. What is the site's wisdom about future pricing for the 2008 G8?
    Those that are looking for a G8, you might consider buying used, because they are literally thousands less, and yes, they have the V8's in them. It does make me wonder about resale value though. But, it could be the current economy.
    Upon futher reading I discovered tha the $25.5 employee price was for the G8 sedan which features a six cylinder engine. I did not understand the difference when I originally posted. The G8-GT is the 8 cylinder version and costs about 29K via employee pricing. My bad.
    Values on the G8 are plummeting. Mostly sitting at my dealer.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    how do you know that, bvdj84.
    also, please provide numbers for the value before and after the plummet?
    is the plummet any more or less than any 2008 vehicle that has sat on the lot for a couple months? thanks...
  • josswjossw Member Posts: 9
    Here in SoCal the 08 G8 GTs are piling up in the dealer's lots. Typical GM - right car at the wrong time. The new 0% APR offer is so much better than employee pricing offer (which had 5.9% APR). I just had a friend get an 08 G8 GT for $27,500 with 0% APR. Just wait until November. $25K???
    Exactly! You don't have to look hard to get a loaded G8 with a V8 for way under sticker. Look on Ebay, some G8's have been sitting, and the price continues to go down. I have seen $25k for a G8, with a few 1k miles on them. Or for about $28k give or take, you can get a V8. Though the G8 is a nice car, it still depreciates fast along with its name. Not to mention the bad timing. They have a couple rows of G8's here. Its disappointing you pay that much, and then you drive it off the lot, and its price already dropped substantially. But, it is partially the economy. They new Challenger is not moving to well either. Most people are not thinking V8 right now, or even a V6.
  • holdenguyholdenguy Member Posts: 145
    Check my post in the main G8 thread as to why prices are dropping.
    Look on ebay, You can get a loaded G8 for $24k!! Why buy new!?
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    can some one please tell me what would be a good price to buy a g8?

Under invoice? At invoice? Also what are the rebates I am not any kind of supplier.
  • ksmigelksmigel Member Posts: 56
    They are all over the place.

If GM gets rid of Pontiac, expect them to go much lower.
    Just walked out of 2 dealers. Here in the NY area they are not dropping below the red-tag price of $30k on a loaded G8GT. Just too much for the car IMO.

Dealers are gonna be stuck with these cars or just wait for the suckers.

-mike
    You would be better off buying a used G8 on Ebay or elsewhere. Because they are substantially less, thousands less than MSRP. They have a few miles on them, but can be loaded with what you want. Paying new for a G8 or a GM car now would be not advised. The issue is, that your car's true value will be substantially lower than the price of the car. Much lower, so you are so upside down before you even drive off the lot. It is assumed that is the case for all cars, in there depreciation, but with current conditions of GM and the economy, this car, being the G8 is in a bad position right now. Being new would be a very bad use of your money. You would not be able to sell the car and get out from owing money still. Its too bad.

Another issue, The Red Tag Event- Is they take the savings off the MSRP, when they need to take the savings off the sale price that is achieved, because most cars are not sold for MSRP. So if you consider all of this, there is no substantial amount of savings being adjusted for the deal. The savings is minimal.
    For instance, a car that is $28k, then has a sale price of $26, then the savings should be taken off the sale price. Because otherwise they aren't doing anything out of the ordinary. No one buys MSRP, if they do, then its a rare or very new car. Even then, market and conditions determine if this can be done. Right now, NO.

Just think a used G8 with a few miles, already broken in, the first owner took the first hit in depreciation, sounds like a good deal, I do see the market getting better, and with that, comes with values getting stronger.
    :)
    A pontiac ad (national ad not local) in the Boston Herald offers $2500 off after the red tag price for a final price of $26,588. This is for the GT not the 6 cylinder G8,
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    My 2005 BMW 330i warranty was going to expire at the end of January, so last Saturday I asked two local Pontiac dealers and one Infiniti dealer for their best out-the-door price with trade. The final offers were
    $16,222.30 for a 2008 white sport premium G35 with a $37,475 MSRP
    $13,289.38 for a 2009 white sport premium G8 GT with a $33,210 MSRP, and
    $11,500 for a 2009 metallic red sport premium G8 GT with a $33210 MSRP.
    The G35 had more luxury features, but the G8 GT was roomier without sacrificing handling, and a 6.0 L V8 is just more entertaining than a 3.5 L V6. I preferred white, but not enough to pay the extra $1789. The salesman was not pushy and seemed to be a straight shooter. He said that I could not have gotten as good of a cash deal because they gave me way more for the BMW (sport, premium, xenon, automatic) than usual, to reduce their inventory. Rather than wholesale out the BMW, they plan to sell it on their lot. The BMW had 18,800 miles on the odometer, no dings or scratches, and retained a little new car smell because it was seldom parked outdoors. The red G8 GT had 41 miles on the odometer. The future of GM, Pontiac, and muscle cars is in doubt, but I like the G8 GT so much that I’ll happily take my chances. It’s not quite as agile or polished as the 330i, but for some reason I enjoy it more. I’ll be even happier after installing a cat-back performance exhaust system and a spare tire with a jack.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Member Posts: 90
    Hi G8'ers ;)

Just wondering if anyone recommends opting for the extended warranty on the G8 as its $1000 extra and covers bumper to bumper 5 years to 100,000

Thoughts????
    You going to keep the car that long?
    Thats a good question, however I honestly would not be able to answer that question. 5 years??

I would hope I would keep it 5 years, but would need to drive it for a few months to answer that. ;)
    A factory warranty is worthwhile if they offer it and you expect the factory to be in business that many years. Unfortunately, I suspect you will be offered a third party warranty, and those have a history of carefully crafted exclusions and outright fraud. Buyer beware. I'd spend a lot of time Googling before I'd sign.
    I have no doubt that GM and Pontiac will continue to be in business for at least a few more decades. ;)

However I am not sure if I will keep the car long enough, I tend to get the itch for new cars every 4 years. :)
  • omegagenomegagen Member Posts: 67
    GM will probably be around, but Pontiac will be toast just like Oldsmobile if their current troubles continue. Pontiac hasn't been a big selling division in a long time. If it ain't sellin' it must go...pure economics.

If it wasn't for their troubles and the probable demise of Pontiac (IMHO) I too would trade my '05 BMW 330i w/ ZHP performance pkg. Oh well!
    Toyota Sales are down 41%

So, I guess by some Totota must be going out of business now...LOL

PS: Pontiac is and will be fine.
  • dhampdhamp Member Posts: 8
    I'm assuming those offers were after your trade-in? What were the offers without the trade, if you don't mind?
  • getinmycargetinmycar Member Posts: 16
    So I was surfing around the gmfamilyfirst web site today and found out they have a discounts on the yet to be released 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. How in the hell do you do that?

Pontiac G5 2.9% 2.9% 2.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac G6 (1SA) 4.9% 4.9% 4.9% - Or $1,250
    Pontiac G6 (1SB) 6.9% 6.9% 6.9% - Or $750
    Pontiac G6 (1SV) - - - - Or $0
    Pontiac G8 GT Sedan 5.9% 5.9% 5.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac G8 GXP Sedan 5.9% 5.9% 5.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac G8 Sedan 4.9% 4.9% 4.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac Solstice - - - - Or $500
    Pontiac Torrent 5.9% 5.9% 5.9% - Or $1,000
    Pontiac Vibe 6.9% 6.9% 6.9% - Or $500
    I didn't pursue a cash deal because there is no room in my garage for another car. I did figure that $20,440 would be a great trade-in value for my BMW considering the tires would need to be replaced (Continental tires sound like snow tires after about 15,000 miles). Most dealers whipped out the old black book and tried to offer more like $16,000. I don't think I got a great deal, but probably did as well as you can in the Melbourne, FL area at year end.
    Incidentally, I'm extremely pleased with my G8 and try to find excuses to drive it around. After I install a Roto-Fab cold air intake and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, I'll be ecstatic.
  • omegagenomegagen Member Posts: 67
    You're comparing apples to oranges! Toyota is not running around with hat in hand begging for money. In the current conditions every car manufacturer's sales are down, but what makes GM different that they have been operating on a slim margin before the recession.

Pontiac is a division of GM like Lexus is to Toyota. So to compare Toyota to Pontiac is WAAAAAY off basis...think about it! GM is struggling and something must and will go...I think it's Pontiac...I could be wrong...I hope so...I am American.

I guess if you own a G8 my comments may "ruffle your feathers", I too would be the same way. I hope Pontiac stays because I LIKE the G8, that's what led me to this forum. Good luck, but for me I'll keep my BMW until the market decides whether or not GM survives or not.
    Ha Ha my feathers are not ruffled. :D
    I hope Pontiac stays also, I really think they will because I have actually been in the dealerships and seen people buying cars, in fact I hope all car companies stay in business so we always have options to choose from and it creates that competitive nature which brings us new model cars. :)
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    You'll have to check on the specifics of the warranty you're thinking about, but most good warranties can actually be cashed in if you don't use them. For instance, if you hate the car after a year and only use the standard new car warranty, then you will probably be able to cash in the extended warranty. Again, please check the specifics for the actual warranty you would be buying...
    Good info, Thanks.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Because, although fresh to arrive, the GXP is just another trim level of the same G8 that's in model year 2. It's a special car, but nothing so special as not to get the same small incentives as other trims of the same.
    GM just emailed me a GMcard roundup offer -> to $3K. Plus owner loyalty cash is available to add to that.
    Good thing the G8 GXP isn't here yet or I might do something stupid. :)
    Maybe time to go Cobalt-shopping instead!
    I'm waiting for GMCard to let me cash in all my points at once. I've got enough to buy a Cobalt.
    Vin-man, do you have multiple GM cards? Please do show me the arithmetic - I didn't think that >$3500 GM card rebate was ever possible. I suppose you have the new GM card I kept the original GM card so as to keep the $3500 cap.
    I need cash so bad that I may trade both my 05 GTO and 06 TDI for an 09 Cobalt 5-spd plus cash, if a dealership agrees to that. (On the other hand, my friends are all authorized to tase me make a sudden move to sell/trade my GTO.)

Anyone ever traded two for one and taken cash plus a new car out of the deal?
    (Dealer inventory would be down by 1 and they'd have two primo/rare cars to either sell themselves or wholesale. Basically, hypothetically, would you buy two used cars from me? Of course you would!)
    If I consider such a deal, I will have to also testdrive one of the G8s too even though all the current USA G8s have a woefully incorrect transmission type.
    I'm merely hoping that GM will run a special deal to clear inventory. The most I've ever redeemed at once was $3,000 with the old card. They've got to get rid of the inventory and it wouldn't hurt to burn off some of the billions in GM Card cash out there.

In case anyone from GM is reading this board: I will absolutely buy a new GM car or truck if allowed to use all of my GM Card dollars in conjunction with any other inccentives.
This discussion has been closed.