Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• My 2005 BMW 330i warranty was going to expire at the end of January, so last Saturday I asked two local Pontiac dealers and one Infiniti dealer for their best out-the-door price with trade. The final offers were
    $16,222.30 for a 2008 white sport premium G35 with a $37,475 MSRP
    $13,289.38 for a 2009 white sport premium G8 GT with a $33,210 MSRP, and
    $11,500 for a 2009 metallic red sport premium G8 GT with a $33210 MSRP.
    The G35 had more luxury features, but the G8 GT was roomier without sacrificing handling, and a 6.0 L V8 is just more entertaining than a 3.5 L V6. I preferred white, but not enough to pay the extra $1789. The salesman was not pushy and seemed to be a straight shooter. He said that I could not have gotten as good of a cash deal because they gave me way more for the BMW (sport, premium, xenon, automatic) than usual, to reduce their inventory. Rather than wholesale out the BMW, they plan to sell it on their lot. The BMW had 18,800 miles on the odometer, no dings or scratches, and retained a little new car smell because it was seldom parked outdoors. The red G8 GT had 41 miles on the odometer. The future of GM, Pontiac, and muscle cars is in doubt, but I like the G8 GT so much that I’ll happily take my chances. It’s not quite as agile or polished as the 330i, but for some reason I enjoy it more. I’ll be even happier after installing a cat-back performance exhaust system and a spare tire with a jack.
  • Hi G8'ers ;)

Just wondering if anyone recommends opting for the extended warranty on the G8 as its $1000 extra and covers bumper to bumper 5 years to 100,000

Thoughts????
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    You going to keep the car that long?
  • Thats a good question, however I honestly would not be able to answer that question. 5 years??

I would hope I would keep it 5 years, but would need to drive it for a few months to answer that. ;)
  • A factory warranty is worthwhile if they offer it and you expect the factory to be in business that many years. Unfortunately, I suspect you will be offered a third party warranty, and those have a history of carefully crafted exclusions and outright fraud. Buyer beware. I'd spend a lot of time Googling before I'd sign.
  • I have no doubt that GM and Pontiac will continue to be in business for at least a few more decades. ;)

However I am not sure if I will keep the car long enough, I tend to get the itch for new cars every 4 years. :)
  • GM will probably be around, but Pontiac will be toast just like Oldsmobile if their current troubles continue. Pontiac hasn't been a big selling division in a long time. If it ain't sellin' it must go...pure economics.

If it wasn't for their troubles and the probable demise of Pontiac (IMHO) I too would trade my '05 BMW 330i w/ ZHP performance pkg. Oh well!
  • Toyota Sales are down 41%

So, I guess by some Totota must be going out of business now...LOL

PS: Pontiac is and will be fine.
  • dhampdhamp Posts: 8
    I'm assuming those offers were after your trade-in? What were the offers without the trade, if you don't mind?
  • So I was surfing around the gmfamilyfirst web site today and found out they have a discounts on the yet to be released 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. How in the hell do you do that?

Pontiac G5 2.9% 2.9% 2.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac G6 (1SA) 4.9% 4.9% 4.9% - Or $1,250
    Pontiac G6 (1SB) 6.9% 6.9% 6.9% - Or $750
    Pontiac G6 (1SV) - - - - Or $0
    Pontiac G8 GT Sedan 5.9% 5.9% 5.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac G8 GXP Sedan 5.9% 5.9% 5.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac G8 Sedan 4.9% 4.9% 4.9% - Or $1,500
    Pontiac Solstice - - - - Or $500
    Pontiac Torrent 5.9% 5.9% 5.9% - Or $1,000
    Pontiac Vibe 6.9% 6.9% 6.9% - Or $500
  • I didn't pursue a cash deal because there is no room in my garage for another car. I did figure that $20,440 would be a great trade-in value for my BMW considering the tires would need to be replaced (Continental tires sound like snow tires after about 15,000 miles). Most dealers whipped out the old black book and tried to offer more like $16,000. I don't think I got a great deal, but probably did as well as you can in the Melbourne, FL area at year end.
    Incidentally, I'm extremely pleased with my G8 and try to find excuses to drive it around. After I install a Roto-Fab cold air intake and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, I'll be ecstatic.
  • You're comparing apples to oranges! Toyota is not running around with hat in hand begging for money. In the current conditions every car manufacturer's sales are down, but what makes GM different that they have been operating on a slim margin before the recession.

Pontiac is a division of GM like Lexus is to Toyota. So to compare Toyota to Pontiac is WAAAAAY off basis...think about it! GM is struggling and something must and will go...I think it's Pontiac...I could be wrong...I hope so...I am American.

I guess if you own a G8 my comments may "ruffle your feathers", I too would be the same way. I hope Pontiac stays because I LIKE the G8, that's what led me to this forum. Good luck, but for me I'll keep my BMW until the market decides whether or not GM survives or not.
  • Ha Ha my feathers are not ruffled. :D
    I hope Pontiac stays also, I really think they will because I have actually been in the dealerships and seen people buying cars, in fact I hope all car companies stay in business so we always have options to choose from and it creates that competitive nature which brings us new model cars. :)
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 770
    You'll have to check on the specifics of the warranty you're thinking about, but most good warranties can actually be cashed in if you don't use them. For instance, if you hate the car after a year and only use the standard new car warranty, then you will probably be able to cash in the extended warranty. Again, please check the specifics for the actual warranty you would be buying...
  • Good info, Thanks.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Because, although fresh to arrive, the GXP is just another trim level of the same G8 that's in model year 2. It's a special car, but nothing so special as not to get the same small incentives as other trims of the same.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    GM just emailed me a GMcard roundup offer -> to $3K. Plus owner loyalty cash is available to add to that.
    Good thing the G8 GXP isn't here yet or I might do something stupid. :)
    Maybe time to go Cobalt-shopping instead!
    I'm waiting for GMCard to let me cash in all my points at once. I've got enough to buy a Cobalt.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    Vin-man, do you have multiple GM cards? Please do show me the arithmetic - I didn't think that >$3500 GM card rebate was ever possible. I suppose you have the new GM card I kept the original GM card so as to keep the $3500 cap.
    I need cash so bad that I may trade both my 05 GTO and 06 TDI for an 09 Cobalt 5-spd plus cash, if a dealership agrees to that. (On the other hand, my friends are all authorized to tase me make a sudden move to sell/trade my GTO.)

Anyone ever traded two for one and taken cash plus a new car out of the deal?
    (Dealer inventory would be down by 1 and they'd have two primo/rare cars to either sell themselves or wholesale. Basically, hypothetically, would you buy two used cars from me? Of course you would!)
    If I consider such a deal, I will have to also testdrive one of the G8s too even though all the current USA G8s have a woefully incorrect transmission type.
    I'm merely hoping that GM will run a special deal to clear inventory. The most I've ever redeemed at once was $3,000 with the old card. They've got to get rid of the inventory and it wouldn't hurt to burn off some of the billions in GM Card cash out there.

In case anyone from GM is reading this board: I will absolutely buy a new GM car or truck if allowed to use all of my GM Card dollars in conjunction with any other inccentives.
  • gmgoldgmgold Posts: 1
    I had the GM Protection Plan (extended warranty) on the car that I traded in on my G8 GT. It's like insurance, giving peace of mind when you don't need it, value when you do. I haven't bought it yet for the new car, but I probably will.

A word of caution. There are independent (non-GM) plans out there. I've always been skeptical of them as some of them aren't as likely to be there if / when you need them.
    I think Pontiac should stay, because around here, they seem to be doing well, though the G8's are not moving as fast. However, if GM pulls the leasing plug permanently, they lower some of their market. I think most lease their pontiacs. I lease mine, However, I'll be out early to get my Acura or Accord.
    Pontiac has a youthful, sporty vibe to them, they should keep the brand. But, GM needs to stop making sooooo many SUV's. This is not the market to keep doing this. Again, they just released a new model. They have the Enclave, Outlook, tranverse, etc... they are all on the same platform. They really all look alike. Downsize the company, focus on your most premium cars, or cars you think would really benefit keeping. Pontiac is worth keeping I think. People love their pontiacs, they just need a little more love and thought put into the overall design and quality. I have grown to love my 08 loaded G6, though I would have never chose this car if I wasn't forced to pick one. I can see why they like them.

The G8 is a good start to a good solid car. Keep the car, create a new G6 off the rep from the G8. Take some of that money saved and create a revamped engine 4cyl and 6 cyl engines. They certainly need to work on refinement, work on that transmission. Its like GM is trying to do everything, trying to take on the world. I give the kudos for trying, but they need to take a step back, and focus. They could keep their brands, but get rid of the excessive SUV line up. People will always have a need for them, but you have so many to pick from, it'll make your head spin.

Just think, if they did downsize a bit, they could really polish everything off, then you could feel more quality across the board. I don't think I should have to buy a CTS to get what the quality should be. Even then, I sat in one, didn't drive it, but I didn't feel anymore special in it. I would felt better in the Acura, when I went to the car show. I am sure it drives very well!
  • kurackkurack Posts: 1
    So I am getting my first car from a dealership and the G8 GT is what I think I am going with. My fathers friend got this same car for 25,000 at a dealership close to him in Jersey but I live in New York so I'm not sure how much of a difference it will be. Can anyone help with what price I should go after or methods I should use? Any other suggestions or help is appreciated also...
  • kcflyerkcflyer Posts: 78
    Anyone had their G8 out on winter roads and care to comment. I can't afford a seasonal car but I love this car. With a 50/50 weight split I think it might do fine but I would love to hear from those with experience.
  • Prices seem to vary greatly by region and dealership and day. The method I use is to use Edmunds and other web sites to figure out what out-the-door offer (including invoice price, mark-up, rebates, incentives, tax, tag, fees, trade-in, etc.) seems fair. By sticking with an out-the-door offer, you can avoid shell games and last minute fees attempted by some dealers. It saves time and aggravation. If the dealer seems to have a large inventory, you can sometimes get a better at the end of month.
    A good source of car buying advice is at http://www.edmunds.com/car-advice.html.
  • My local dealer just received their 09 Pontiac G8 GXP... I was looking at purchasing a Cadillac CTS and then they pulled this car in and i couldn't take my eyes off of it, then i drove it, then i fell in love, WOW what a great looking sedan with awesome power, that the car handled beautifully, i like the G8 but the GXP took me to the next level ~ Away from so called "Luxury" sedans ~ This car has a place in my all time favorite cars that i have purchased... great great great purchase.... i payed invoice price at 38,800.00 ~ (MSRP was 40,850.00) then got a dealer certificate at $1000.00 off and had $1000.00 in GM dollars.. then at 1/9% financing i felt like i made a wonderful purchase.... Note GM just pulled there production of there performance motors for the Cadillac V and Pontiac GXP which will make these vehicles even more rare.... I feel lucky to have this GXP G8
  • Anyone who says they purchased a new G8 GTfor
    $25,000 is full of bologna.
    Can you post some pics when you get the chance? I would love to see it!
    What color did you get?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    $24,140 for 2009 G8 GT in Chicago area.

Includes $3,500 in rebates ($1500 customer rebate, $500 auto show bonus cash, $1500 bonus cash) that are available to anyone.

With GM card and military I can buy for even less.
  • I will take some pictures next week and post, they are tinting the windows on tuesday then i will take the pictures.... I got the Maverick Silver Metallic, there were not many choices, but this color was my first choice, there was Red in Omaha NE, White in Dell Rapids ? and Black in Wisconsin.. there were 7 GXP's within 300 miles from where i live in Sioux Falls, SD and i ended up buying the one in Sioux Falls... I have been getting a great deal of interest in the G8 GXP from people who didn't even know that Pontiac had this line of vehicle, just like me... Again my best car purchase ever, i love this car
This discussion has been closed.