Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gmgoldgmgold Member Posts: 1
    I had the GM Protection Plan (extended warranty) on the car that I traded in on my G8 GT. It's like insurance, giving peace of mind when you don't need it, value when you do. I haven't bought it yet for the new car, but I probably will.

A word of caution. There are independent (non-GM) plans out there. I've always been skeptical of them as some of them aren't as likely to be there if / when you need them.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I think Pontiac should stay, because around here, they seem to be doing well, though the G8's are not moving as fast. However, if GM pulls the leasing plug permanently, they lower some of their market. I think most lease their pontiacs. I lease mine, However, I'll be out early to get my Acura or Accord.
    Pontiac has a youthful, sporty vibe to them, they should keep the brand. But, GM needs to stop making sooooo many SUV's. This is not the market to keep doing this. Again, they just released a new model. They have the Enclave, Outlook, tranverse, etc... they are all on the same platform. They really all look alike. Downsize the company, focus on your most premium cars, or cars you think would really benefit keeping. Pontiac is worth keeping I think. People love their pontiacs, they just need a little more love and thought put into the overall design and quality. I have grown to love my 08 loaded G6, though I would have never chose this car if I wasn't forced to pick one. I can see why they like them.

The G8 is a good start to a good solid car. Keep the car, create a new G6 off the rep from the G8. Take some of that money saved and create a revamped engine 4cyl and 6 cyl engines. They certainly need to work on refinement, work on that transmission. Its like GM is trying to do everything, trying to take on the world. I give the kudos for trying, but they need to take a step back, and focus. They could keep their brands, but get rid of the excessive SUV line up. People will always have a need for them, but you have so many to pick from, it'll make your head spin.

Just think, if they did downsize a bit, they could really polish everything off, then you could feel more quality across the board. I don't think I should have to buy a CTS to get what the quality should be. Even then, I sat in one, didn't drive it, but I didn't feel anymore special in it. I would felt better in the Acura, when I went to the car show. I am sure it drives very well!
  • kurackkurack Member Posts: 1
    So I am getting my first car from a dealership and the G8 GT is what I think I am going with. My fathers friend got this same car for 25,000 at a dealership close to him in Jersey but I live in New York so I'm not sure how much of a difference it will be. Can anyone help with what price I should go after or methods I should use? Any other suggestions or help is appreciated also...
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    Anyone had their G8 out on winter roads and care to comment. I can't afford a seasonal car but I love this car. With a 50/50 weight split I think it might do fine but I would love to hear from those with experience.
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    Prices seem to vary greatly by region and dealership and day. The method I use is to use Edmunds and other web sites to figure out what out-the-door offer (including invoice price, mark-up, rebates, incentives, tax, tag, fees, trade-in, etc.) seems fair. By sticking with an out-the-door offer, you can avoid shell games and last minute fees attempted by some dealers. It saves time and aggravation. If the dealer seems to have a large inventory, you can sometimes get a better at the end of month.
    A good source of car buying advice is at http://www.edmunds.com/car-advice.html.
  • phatcobraphatcobra Member Posts: 7
    My local dealer just received their 09 Pontiac G8 GXP... I was looking at purchasing a Cadillac CTS and then they pulled this car in and i couldn't take my eyes off of it, then i drove it, then i fell in love, WOW what a great looking sedan with awesome power, that the car handled beautifully, i like the G8 but the GXP took me to the next level ~ Away from so called "Luxury" sedans ~ This car has a place in my all time favorite cars that i have purchased... great great great purchase.... i payed invoice price at 38,800.00 ~ (MSRP was 40,850.00) then got a dealer certificate at $1000.00 off and had $1000.00 in GM dollars.. then at 1/9% financing i felt like i made a wonderful purchase.... Note GM just pulled there production of there performance motors for the Cadillac V and Pontiac GXP which will make these vehicles even more rare.... I feel lucky to have this GXP G8
  • luv2xlr8luv2xlr8 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone who says they purchased a new G8 GTfor
    $25,000 is full of bologna.
    Can you post some pics when you get the chance? I would love to see it!
    What color did you get?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $24,140 for 2009 G8 GT in Chicago area.

Includes $3,500 in rebates ($1500 customer rebate, $500 auto show bonus cash, $1500 bonus cash) that are available to anyone.

With GM card and military I can buy for even less.
    I will take some pictures next week and post, they are tinting the windows on tuesday then i will take the pictures.... I got the Maverick Silver Metallic, there were not many choices, but this color was my first choice, there was Red in Omaha NE, White in Dell Rapids ? and Black in Wisconsin.. there were 7 GXP's within 300 miles from where i live in Sioux Falls, SD and i ended up buying the one in Sioux Falls... I have been getting a great deal of interest in the G8 GXP from people who didn't even know that Pontiac had this line of vehicle, just like me... Again my best car purchase ever, i love this car
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Congratulations on your car and will look for the pictures in the regular G8 forum.
    Sioux Falls huh, I'm originally from Sioux City. Should not be too many other GXP's in Sioux Falls.
  • bowtiefan1bowtiefan1 Member Posts: 25
    Congrats on your GXP!! Did you get an automatic or manual? I got my G8 GT at the end of the year during the red tag event. Stickered in the low 30's. I paid $23,000, with all the incentives, plus got an additional $3,500 off with the GM credit card reward monies I had been accumulating. I think I got a tremendous deal on a phenomenal car. I can only imagine how good the GXP must be--enjoy it!!!
  • scottg8gtscottg8gt Member Posts: 2
    Just drive my new GT home. Love it!! Wondering if the gas mileage improves after a couple of tanks. Not too bad on the highway 23. What are others getting?
    Love this car! You got a great car, for a great price.... CONGRATS Mine is automatic, it snowed pretty good in Sioux Falls SD yesterday and it was tuff getting around with the performance tires, ordered all season tires hope to get them on in a couple days
    The GXP gas mileage is not very good, i knew that and dont think it will get any better, im just enjoying every gallon that i get to burn through. The car is great and cant say i would change a thing except the tires. CONGRATS on your GT..... ENJOY!!!
  • scottg8gtscottg8gt Member Posts: 2
    I live in Michigan. Drove in 6-7 inches of snow last week with no problem. I was very unsure about the G8 becasue I've always had a FWD Bonny. With the winter tires its as good if not better!
    That sounds awesome!!! I'm having a difficult time getting around with the performance tires in fresh wet snow, did you get all season tires? or are you just rotating out winter tires and performance tires as the seasons demand? Thanks Rick
    put the new tires on my G8 and what a difference it just snowed here and i am getting around beautifully, no problems at all, very very excited....
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Good move getting the snowtires, phat-cobra...
    (And when it's time to stop quickly on ice/snow, watch out
    for any doofi behind you who may not have the proper tires !)
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    Remaining new 08 G8's advertised in Indianapolis at around $7600 below sticker, multiple dealers. All are V6.
    Just picked up a 2008 G8 base V6. Have never bought a new leftover year-old vehicle, but the price was that good--$8100 off MSRP, plus $199 doc fee and sales tax, that's all. They waved a magic wand and I qualified for all the rebates, but only on 08's. What a car for $19,500!
    Nice deal. You'll love the car!
    Great Job! Yes, for the money, you simply cannot compare. I got a similar deal when I leased an 08 G6. I got many incentives applied to the deal. I had a nearly $25k car down to about $22k. That was really good. I didn't even plan on getting the car, but with all the incentives, and I was in a bind, so it worked out perfectly. The car essentially is the equivalent to the Accord EX-L 4cyl I looked at, except I sacrificed the engine in going with the G6. But, with the features, and the lease deal, it cannot be beat. Since GM is no longer leasing, I am lucky. I love the features, at times I hate the engine. I can live with it though. I later noticed though it had been at the dealer for about a year before I leased. Next time, though I got a good deal, I prefer to get one off the delivery truck, like my 08 VW I leased the same day. You certainly seem to get more incentives with GM than most other brands. GM needs major incentives now.

Great Job, you'll love the car.
  • revrahulrevrahul Member Posts: 8
    I am in the market for a 2009 G8 GT in NJ. Contacted a few dealers via edmunds and the best I have been offered is 28.8k + TTL with premium and sport package. To get the 0% APR for 60 month financing the price goes upto 31.6k + TTL.

Can you provide me the details of the NJ dealer who is offering G8 GT's for aound 25k?
  • TwoGoldFishTwoGoldFish Member Posts: 14
    Kurack-What was your final price on your GT without tax&title?.What dealer did you get it from? Any help is greatly appreciated! Nathan
    Bowtiefan1,

Did you pay $23K + TTL for 2009 G8 GT with or without option? What dealer did you get it from?
    I got a quote $26,413 with premium package for 2009 G8 GT in MD.
    Any help would be appreciate.
    Thanks,
    TwoGoldFish,

I bought my GT at the end of the year at the end of December. I bought a remaining '08, with a cloth interior and all season tires for $23K, plus TTL (actually, $19.5K, plus TTL with my GM Card money) from a very small dealer in PA.

For an '09 with premium and sport packages, a great price today would be $25K. I saw a dealer in Virginia selling them at $24,995 with these 2 packages about a month ago on ebay, but not sure if this price is still being offered by them at this juncture. The dealer was Woodbridge Pontiac in Woodbridge, Virginia. Website: woodbridgepontiac.com.

I could have gotten leather (premium package) for slightly more money, but did not want it. I really prefer cloth (imo it's more comfy/cozy) and the cloth on this car is really premium. Also, I did not want 19" tires either as I'm from Ohio and the roads are horrible here. I think 19's would be awesome for warmer weather climates, where you have really good roads and don't have to worry about chuckholes. Plus, 19" tires are a lot more expensive to replace versus new 18's.

Check around on the net and even if you have to drive a little (or fly) to get one at a good price, it's worth it.
    Thanks very much Bowtie! Do you have a name of the dealer for the 25k price?
    oops, its right in front of me, thanks again!
  • pfwizpfwiz Member Posts: 6
    I have had my G8 (V6) loaded for just over 1 month and about 1000 miles. It is currently in the shop for the second time for vibrations and brake pulsations. The first time they put a set of new front tires on. That didn't work. I just got off the phone with the dealership. The said they cut my brake rotors down to fix the brake pulsations.
    QUESTION - is cutting the rotors on a 1 month old, 1000 mile car the right way to fix this issue. Is it me or should I expect them to replace the rotors? They told me GM will not cover replacing the rotors... Is this the truth??

If anyone can shine any light on this I would greatly appreciate it.
    I would tell them you need new rotors. No excuse for warped rotors on a new car.
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    New rotors.
  • cward24cward24 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2009 magnetic grey metallic G8 GT on April 1 (showroom floor model). At Wiele Chevrolet in Eastern Iowa. With Sport and Premium Packages but no sunroof and the trade-in (2003 vw passat) and rebate the cost was $24,000 plus TTL. And if I lose my job the the payments on the car will be made by GM for 9 months (so I was told). I am just trying to figure out the bluetooth in it now and trying to keep the kids off of the XM radio.
    How much did they give you for your 03 Passat?
  • cward24cward24 Member Posts: 3
    The 2003 Passat (V6 and a five speed) that I traded in the dealer gave me $6,210.00. Then I got the $3,000.00 rebate on top of that. The window sticker for the G8 Gt was $33,210.00.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who has purchased a GM vehicle over the past six months or interested in buying one shortly. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Monday, April 13, 2009.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• njblokenjbloke Member Posts: 6
    I am seriously considering buying a 2009 G8 GT. The G8 GT with roof/premium pkg. has an MSRP (with current 3K off) of 31,655. Can you advise of any deals you've gotten in the NY metro area for your G8 GT? Is 25K a realistic estimate for a good deal as I've read in the posts above? I'm willing to travel a few hours for a great deal/good dealership experience, so any names would be appreciated.

Also, do you think there is more room to negotiate on the V6 version, and what is a good target price? 22K?

Any/all information is appreciated.
    I think $25K may not be achievable at this juncture for a GT with a roof and premium package because the dealers no longer have the $2,000 extra cash to pass along. The only cash is a $3,000 rebate. Last month, there was the $3,000 rebate, plus the extra $2,000. My understanding that the $2K is gone now.
    That is what I am told also. No $2k dealer cash, at least for now. If anyone hears it is back, let us all know!
  • learjet60learjet60 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a October date (no Bluetooth) new 2009 G8 GT with Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, and Sunroof this week. MSRP was $349XX, and I paid $31,5XX + TTL. If I had chosen the $3000 cash back instead of the 0% financing, I would have paid $28,5XX. The 0% financing was a better deal for me than the cash back.

Additionally, I had the dealer swap the 19" wheels/summer only tires from the car's sport package with the wheels and all-season tires from a base G8. This is because I do NOT want summer only tires here in the Midwest, and I like the looks of the base G8 wheel much better than either of the GT's wheel designs.
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    Did you swap for the Base G8 (V6) wheels or the base G8 GT (V8) wheels ?
    I agree- the base wheels look much better!
  • learjet60learjet60 Member Posts: 2
    I now have Base G8 (V6) 18" wheels on my GT. I did not like either of the GT wheel designs. This was done on my Sport Pkg. equipped car by the dealer who was willing to accomodate me. Therefore, I now have the Sport Metallic Pedals and Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel on my car as part of the Sport Pkg, with the Base G8's 18" wheels and all season tires.
    Thinking about ordering a G8 firehawk, looking for all opinions on this package? not thinking about driving it, just put it up on blocks. I have a GXP and it is my favorite car that i have ever owned. Does anybody think the value of these cars will hold true to the hype?
    GM president Fritz henderson said production of the G8 will end in 2009, and GM is "prepared to offer heavy incentives" to get them off dealer lots.
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I currently have a Mazda3 hatch and want to upgrade to the GT or GXP (1st choice) with the addition of a second child. Should I wait to get a deal or are the dealers starting to move vehicles with all of these GM dealer closings in the news? I am in the Philly area.
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    GXPs are scarce, so I'd be surprised if dealers let them go for less than MSRP minus rebates. Waiting for a deal on a GT is less of a gamble if you don't have strong trim and color preferences. To get a bargain, you may need to purchase from very distant volume dealers (who will absorb the inventory of closed dealerships).
  • jmiller2032jmiller2032 Member Posts: 1
    A high volume dealer in my area quoted me $700 below invoice before I even made an offer. So certainly you shouldn't have to pay anything near MSRP!
  • snd1snd1 Member Posts: 1
    So... I just saw the 2009 G8 today on my 1st day out looking for a new car (replacing my 2000 Accord) and am considering the V6 version as high performance sport driving is not a priority for me. My main concern is future parts and service given that the Pontiac line is being dropped. (My husband drives a 2007 Solstice). Are there concerns out there amongst you current G8 owners about future parts/service??? Do any of you have the V6 version and how do you like it???
    Thanks!">
    The V6 is fine for me, but others may disagree. Drive them both and decide. The V8 costs more to buy, more to operate (real-world MPG is about 13 w/V8, I'm averaging 19), and maybe more to insure; but it's a blast to drive, a rocket. Future parts & service? I'm more concerned about future cost of service and lead-time of parts from down-under; but I sure like this car. No other car has its combination of great ride plus great handling at a reasonable price, and it's a practical family sedan that looks cool. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
This discussion has been closed.