Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Outback Ltd needs new steering rack, less than 5K miles

dulesdules Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Wanted to get a sense from other owners and our resident experts as to whether this is common.

Bought an 08 Outback Ltd new in December 07. Has about 4600 miles on it.

A couple of weeks ago, car started making a whining noise on startup, that got louder and louder over the weeks it took to get it in for service. We also noticed a grinding feeling in the steering, that at first we thought we were imagining but in the past week or so it's definitely got a "metal on metal" feeling to turns when you first start up. We stopped driving it last Friday because the feeling was just too unsettling.

Took it to the dealer today, he says we need a whole new steering rack. But, he didn't have a loaner for us, proclaimed the car safe to drive and sent my husband home. He'll call when the part comes in.

I called SoA to see if they had an opinion on whether or not it was safe to drive this car, they simply called the dealer, and called me back to tell me what the dealer already told my husband. He also said, though, that if the dealer had a loaner he would have given it to us.

So - is the car safe to drive like this? Or do we need to carpool with the 03 Forester until the situation is resolved?

I'm confused, a little annoyed that this happened with so few miles on it, and frustrated that SoA really didn't do anything to help. (I asked them if they could ask their tech guys if it was safe, etc. and they said no, without seeing the car the guys could not help.).

Thoughts, advice appreciated. Thanks!

Mary

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Call and ask if they have a loaner available now. I'm sure availability changes on a daily basis.
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    Thanks. I guess my main question is, is this car safe to drive as is? Do we not *need* a loaner?

Mary
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Fairly uncommon, but they are mechanical items so they do breakdown.

As for safety, it seems like the pump is actually not working, but I would say it's pretty safe to drive, it's not going to stop steering. I've ran racks with no fluid on the race track to save weight and parasitic draw on the engine.

I'd try to get a loaner when they get one in, just the same.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.