Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln MKS New Owner Reports

2»

Comments

• reffsreffs Posts: 2
    In Canada the Eco Boost is a $10,000 option. (approx) It is tough to justify that pricetag. Turbo isn't worth $10,000 in my opinion as I find the MKS to be well powered without it but I admit every once in a while it would be fun to have. I note they don't charge $10,000 on their other models. Just to Lincoln owners who they obviously see coming a mile away and try to milk them for every penny.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Drama queen? I certainly have been called that over in the Lacrosse forum.

I apologize, e_net_rider! I wasn't referring to YOU as a drama-queen at all. I was referring to a poster who called the MKS a horrible automobile but didn't indicate any desire for help or advice - seemed he just wanted to whine.

The "ultimate" package has all the goodies but it does include the dual panel moonroof which you said you don't want. The adaptive cruise and parking assist are individual options. However, most people who get those also get the ultimate package so finding one without a moonroof but with adaptive cruise will be nearly impossible.

There is nothing wrong with the base engine and if you do not think the ecoboost is worth the difference in price, you could certainly scratch that off your list. The benefits are: Massively stronger acceleration, a bit better real world fuel mileage, less engine noise when accelerating or cruising (due to different gearing), less need for downshifts on hills or when passing, and just a general feeling of effortless power. The ecoboost develops its power at very low RPM - it just provides for a more luxury-oriented driving experience, in my opinion.

I totally understand your use of caution when evaluating my opinions or those of others. If you have heard of other concerns, however, I will gladly share my 2 cents. I have owned a 2010 MKS for over 2 years and I keep pretty up-to-date on Ford products.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    When someone buys a new car, it is not to create a list of defects. They will be disappointments and at each individuals capacity they will reach a breaking point.
    It seems to me the only ones bashing needlessly would be competition and those making outrageous claims of greatness while simultaneously bashing the person with trouble might likely be company employees.
    I come looking for help and I appreciate it. Thanks for your input. At this point I find it a bit difficult to pay an extra $7300 dollars to move to ecoboost +glass +active cruise +active park. Otherwise the two are very close, the cheaper having 13,000 more miles.

I hate shopping, for anything. And these big ticket items are not easily returnable.
  • ray89ray89 Posts: 3
    This is a follow up to my last post. My Lincoln dealer found a TSP on this problem and sent for the parts to fix it. They got all new lower seals and retainer panels for the bottom of all four doors. They were replaced under warranty. Guess what, they don't work much better than the originals. This winter slush would freeze and actually form a seal and stop further snow and slush from entering. I'm going to try fixing it with some weather stripping or any other proven suggestions from you readers, ray89
  • datagendatagen Posts: 107
    Hi brucelinc, this is datagen. It has been a while. Remember I got the 2009 MKS. I should have listened to you guys. That car tuned out to be such a disappointment. The painted faded in the doors to where they had to repaint them. The bearings, steering, brakes, and heating elements in the seats all went out. What broke the camel's back was the transmission. At 27,000 miles it started leaking. I turned the vehicle in 4 months early just to get rid of it. Worst than all of this was the dealer service. It was so bad I started taking it to a Ford dealership. I had a MKZ which was much better but I was so burnt by the way I was treated at the dealership, I tuned the MKZ in early as well. I took a different turn altogether now and so far so good, :shades: .
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Yes, I remember you - if I recall correctly, you were one of the first owners. Sorry to hear of all your issues. I am really surprised about the faded paint. Also, the heated seat problem is unusual. They use a heat pump system for the heating and cooling and I haven't heard of any problems with that. I have heard of PTU leaks on the 2009 AWD models but haven't heard of any transmission leaks. In any case, you had too many issues for anyone to maintain confidence in the car.

I don't blame you for moving on.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    from Helena Motors. The original driver was an executive of Ford Motor Credit Corp in California who drove it 7800 miles. Helena Motors bought it last April at the SW Auction.

If there were any issues with this Ruby Red sedan, they were solved when the Ford Exec drove it first. After taking delivery, we drove up to Banfff, Lake Louise, Jasper, & down to Kamloops on our way into WA. We covered over 2,000 miles in Nine days with nary a problem.

The brakes are very quiet when using them while NOT in cruise control, but braking with the CC on, there is a difference in the sound and feel.

This is our 4th Lincoln since 1980 & it is the best. The others were Town Cars & we are keeping the 94 Signature as it only has 153,000 on it.

When the wife got adamant about wanting AWD for snowy roads, I sought out the SHO, but when she sat in it, we looked further & came to agree on the MKS. (Confidentially, I was afraid if we didn't buy the MKS she might come home with some foreign AWD.)

Luxury ride with power to spare. :)
    The 2011 has two lights in the trunk, puddle lights under the side mirrors, but not one light under the hood. How come?

When putting the directional lever in "D" - the parking brake does not automatically release like it does on our '94. How come?
  • No light under the hood because they ran out of bulbs. You have ambient lighting in the doors, cupholders, footwells and even cool lights that proclaim LINCOLN when you open the doors. :)

Imagine your 4 year old grandson alone in your MKS with the engine running while you run back in the house to grab a forgotten item. Playing around, as 4 year olds do, he puts his innocent little foot on the brake and puts the gear selector in "D." His little foot slips off the brake and onto the throttle, unleashing the massive low-end torque that your twin-turbo engine produces. Aren't you glad you set the parking brake and it stayed set?
    " grandson alone in your MKS with the engine running

The above is the real issue. Leaving your car with the engine running is the cause of the crash, not a kid left alone in the car. Another red herring from your compouter. ;)
    And do set that parking brake!
    2 reasons. First, several years ago, I believe it was Ford, released an internal type memo stating they had found not using the parking brake was causing dry starts in drive train components. That would be everything from the parking pawl in tranny out toward wheels. The main shaft bearings in tranny, differential gears, output bearing, CV shaft joints, etc. Any forces against those components from a slight incline while parked forces lubricant from the contact points of those load bearing items. So it is a good idea to set parking brake before releasing foot brake once parked.
    I've also discovered that it is a bit of a challenge for my wife to use both feet at the same time ;).
    The other reason, many years ago a local Chrispy Creme almost had an extra wide entrance at the front. wife went inside and one of my daughters pushed the stick into neutral. The decline decreased closer to the building so after rolling from the far side of the lot it slowed and stopped just a couple of feet short of contact.
    SET THE PARKING BRAKE!
    CTS, huh! My experience told me GM has horrible seats that after short ownership you start to feel heat wires and whatever else is under thin padding such as support frame. Shopping my way out of 2011 Lacrosse CXS, I went to Caddy dealer. Sitting in one, it felt OK at first. I bounced heavily on seat quite a few times and could begin to feel the same stuff. $80K Caddy! Next I sat in new Chrysler 300. Same thing. Read professional reviewers comments on seats designed for heating and cooling and you find they don't like the seats for reason of comfort. Of the lot, my MKS seats are the best.
    As to suspension, from the low end to the high end, it is difficult to match road to the vehicle suspension. Heavier vehicles tend to be more forgiving with smoothness.
    My experience, top Cherokee seats are quite nice for comfort and handles bumpy road rather nice, but you need to corner much slower for roll. Vehicle is high up.
    11 Lacrosse CXS with touring package. First GM to use hyper-strut maybe and it had electronic suspension. Even though it weighed over 4400 pounds, it only rode smooth on smooth road. There were times I thought the no touring, Michelin equipped, rode smoother and quieter. But there was no doubt the steering control was better with hyper-struts & touring package. Yet some interstate had enough surface imperfection that rear sway would be induced forcing a constant adjusting of steering wheel for straight travel. Putting electronic suspension into "touring" would stiffen enough to stop rear sway most of the time but also make ride harsher. "Touring" position would have better been named "sport" because it stiffened suspension.
    And that electronic suspension?, it's likely the same as CTS. As to it in newer MKS, no experience. I think it is a good idea, but not totally proven to me. I'd put load leveling ahead of it.
    And I'm rather sure that a smooth ride can't be guaranteed with it until they have a sensor ahead of each tire that can determine how that wheel should act when it contacts that patch of road.
    BTW, tires harden with age and use. Have you changed tires? What are on the vehicle?
  • @techwiz said: I have the same issue. I have taken my brake issue to the dealer 4 times and they acted on some type of similar service alert and that did not work. They also lubed my struts (issue still there). So far with my MKS, the lock rods have stopped working on both sides of the front (2 dealer visits). This is the problem where you press the unlock button and it automatically locks. I also had the back of my front seats fall off into the laps of my kids while driving (2 more dealer visits). I had a BMW 2006 750i and thought I'd give American cars a try. Overall, the car is great if they can just fix this break issue. I have sent two letters to Ford's Board of Directors and Public relations to tell them there is an issues with their brakes. Hopefully, they will figure something out soon. :

You can't differentiate between "break" and "brake" but you have a 750. I get these car depreciate like cr*p and getting it used means it costs as much as a new Chinese econobox, but if you're going to pretend to be a car expert (which no one is BTW), get past grade 10 grammar. Thanks.

• @karg said: I really find it quite amusing when people make the comment the Lincoln models are just "dressed up Fords".

Um - hello - Lexus dressed up Toyota...

Um - hello - Acura TL - dressed up Honda...

Um - hello - Infinity - dressed up Nissan...

Um - hello - Cadillac - dressed up Chevy/Buick/Olds/Saturn/GMC...

They ALL do it!

Why stop there? The 3-series BM-POS is the base for the other cars. The Mercedes-C-rap... same thing. Ever see an Audi A-series? All garbage. Unless you spend $70,000 for Eurotrash you get just that. Wish Ford made a $70,000 car to compete with these cars. (Oh wait, they did: the Ford GT that hands EVERY $200,000 Eurotrash car its a$$....) Ford does a good job for the price, and in some cases, a great job. But they need to keep pushing Lincoln up.

2»