Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda 5 key

west_exchangewest_exchange Member Posts: 11
edited April 2014 in Mazda
Does anyone else have this problem?
My Mazda 5 key is a key hidden into the plastic case with automatic buttons to open the car. When you push the button the key jumps out like a knife :) The key came with a flimsy little aluminum loop instead of the key chain. My house keys keep falling off. I've tried taking out the flimsy ring and replacing with other key chains but the design is so poor that the firm key chain rings can't be pulled trough. It's driving me nuts. I just want a NORMAL key!

Comments

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The switchblade key comes with a small steel loop on it. That loop is not intended to have other keys on it. The loop is simply there so you can attach the switchblade key to your existing key ring. This is how I have my set up and have not had any issues with it.
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Yup, same thing here, and no problems so far.
  • Options
    rrratinarrratina Member Posts: 27
    Yes-we too have had the actual top part of the key (which holds the loop) come off of BOTH of our keys. This is not good design. Now I have to treat the key as a single key as I cannot put on a key ring. And, I refuse to pay 300.00 for a new key. Argh!
  • Options
    vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I ACTUALLY LIKE THE SWITCH BLADE STYLE KEY BECAUSE I USE IT AS A SINGLE KEY AND THE REST OF MY KEYS ARE ON A SMALL CLIMBERS LOCK RING ATTACHED TO MY BELT LOOP. THIS WAY I DONT HAVE THE ANNOYING BUNDLE OF KEYS IN MY FRONT POCKET AND THUS JUST HAVING ONE KEY IN MY POCKET, PLUS I DO NOT DAMAGE MY IGNITION BY HAVING ALL THAT WEIGHT ATTACHED TO THE KEY. IMO.

I DO AGREE THAT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND THAT IT IS A BAD DESIGN WHERE A KEY CHAIN WOULD ATTACH TO.

I WONDER IF YOU CAN GET A NORMAL KEY AND KEY FOB SEPERATE???
  • Options
    nola1nola1 Member Posts: 18
    You can get a "normal key", but if you want it just to be able to open the door it is about $30.00. If you want it "programmed" so you can use it in the ignition add $80.00

Our rings also broke and my wife lost hers. So now I'm taking a chance with only 1 key. Not willing to spend $300.00 for a new one.
  • Options
    dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    I have, on occasion managed to lock myself out of cars with the key ring lying inside the car, (I understand, per the owners manual, the car will unlock the doors if the key is still in the ignition), so I like to keep a spare key in my wallet. The giant keyless entry remote/switchblade key precludes this.

Is the $30 door only model the price from the dealer? Do hardware stores, that have cut keys forever, have access to a plain-old key blank for Mazda 5s?

Mine is a Sport, so I'm fairly sure it doesn't have any complicated security system.
  • Options
    agstaffordagstafford Member Posts: 2
    My Mazda dealership cut me a door only key for $5, which is the cost of a simple blank. It actually took them the 3 tries the first time to cut the door only key, but once done it works great.
  • Options
    OK. Stopped by the hardware store and their second attempt worked. <$5, dumb old metal key in wallet, thus virtually guaranteeing I'll never need it. There were comments made that trying to start the car with this key would be an exceedingly bad idea.
    I read that part of the manual, but didn't grasp it entirely. There's RF involved in the keyfob?

I personally think this whole 'immobilizer' gimmick is out of place on this car, I'd understand if this was a Corvette, or Porsche or even an RX8, but come on! Are MAZ5s auto theft bait?. I guess I don't know what the risk is like in the big city. Hope I'm getting some sort of remuneration from my insurance vendor for having this anti-theft device.
  • Options
    I'm not sure when is the last time you bought a car but a key chip, as part of the immobilizing system, is a common thing in many cars nowadays. The Mazda5 may not be on the top of the car theft lists but is always a good thing to have.

BTW, the Corrvette, Porsches nor RX-8s top the car theft lists but cheap, practical cars do, so I think it is more reasonable to have in on Mazda3s, Mazda5s, Mazda6s....

"The 1995 Honda Civic and 1991 Honda Accord led last year's list of the most-reported stolen cars, according to Hot Wheels 2008, the National Insurance Crime Bureau's companion study to its annual Hot Spots auto theft report.

It was the second year in a row the models topped the list.

Also making the top 10 for 2007 were the 1989 Toyota Camry, 1997 Ford F-150 Series Pickup, 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Pickup, 1994 Acura Integra, 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup, 1994 Nissan Sentra, 1988 Toyota Pickup and the 2007 Toyota Corolla."

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2008/07/07/daily21.html
  • Options
    Point taken.

Last car was 8 years ago, I don't recall its book mentioning chipped keys. It had the keyless entry xmitter in a separate 'fob' but the key did have the molded plastic opposite the business end, so who knows what was hidden under there.

Now that you mention it, I do recall reading Camrys and Accords top those thefts lists because there's such a huge market for parts.

+1 for me living in a relatively sparsely populated town.
  • Options
    ...and +1 more for you driving a Mazda. LOL! Looks like there is no Mazda in sight on that Top 10 list. LOL!
  • Options
    Yeah, but also is not on the top list of sales by volume which was my comparison point. I.e. I'm sure more Mazda3s are stolen every year than Mazda5s :D, but that does not mean because the Mazda3 is easier to steal, it is purely by volume of how many are on the street compared to the stolen ones...

Off-topic, but Mazda tries to sell well but not to outperform the big guys in numbers, which happens to also be an awesome thing as, if you notice, the more market share car makers want to make happy, the blander they cars look...
  • Options
    whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    My 2.5 year old key broke at only place it can be mounted on a keyring. One dealer told me "normal wear and tear, not covered" but I prevailed at another dealer and just got a new one. Lo and behold, what had been chrome-plated plastic, at the weak spot that broke, is now a metal casting! Mazda has seen the light and is making better keys. So go ask for one if you need one too.
  • Options
    rrratinarrratina Member Posts: 27
    I am so frustrated. Both of our key rings broke within the first year of buying our car. I have now managed to lose a key and we are down to one key. The cost of replacing is unjustifiable. Moreover, even if you buy the key on the internet and take to our local dealers, they want $99.00.

Help!

I have had trouble with tires, dioor lock doesn't work, and now keys. ***Poor choice in buying a mazda.
  • Options
    Calm down a bit there, trouble happens in any car maker so don't be so quick to throw Mazda under the bus.

Almost all tires that come stock from factory are not really the best choice and quality, so when they wear out change them to better ones to fit your needs.

Door locks...there is a TSB out for this problem, go to your dealership and get it fixed.

Keys...almost all keys now-a-days with the theft deterrent system and built in keyless remote are pricey.

Anymore??
  • Options
    eBay?
  • Options
    athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    what is the TSB number and where can I find it to print it off so that i can take it to the dealer now both sliders take several attempts to open now.
  • Options
    Here you go:

Door Lock Bulletin

There are other bulletin also in this same website, check them out:

Bulletins
This discussion has been closed.