Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Transmission Problems

Comments

• neworleansladyneworleanslady Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    I bought my Saturn VUE in 2003, new off of the car dealership lot and it has been really great to me. I have 63,322 miles on it and it lost power exiting off the interstate @ 40 mph. and my service engine soon light came on. I brought it to Custom Built Transmission @ 7525 Westbank Expwy in Marrero,La. on 10-28-10 and they told me that it would cost $2285.54 to replace main control valve body,remove and replace automatic transmission,transmission oil, and pan gasket. The computer gave a code P0971 P.C. Solenoid 3 control. I then took my Saturn VUE to Don Bohn Westbank @ 3801 Lapalco Blvd. in Harvey,La. on 01-09-11 and they said my vehicle was fine. I have not drove it since Jan. 2011 because it smells like something is burning up when I start the vehicle and drive just around the block. My husband has been out of work for the past 2 years and we cannot afford $2,285.54 to replace the transmission. Where can I go for help? My vehicle is paid for and I would like to keep it because I cannot afford any more bills at this time. Please tell me where to bring my vehicle for help? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you :sick:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    neworleanslady,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • hny1161hny1161 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 Saturn Vue on Oct.25,2010. from a used car dealership that I was working at. The car had 79442 miles on it. When I asked about the car I was told by my boss (the owner) that the car was in great shape. He said it had a new battery, new tires, and a new transmission. I test drove the car and all seemed to be well with it. I did not take an extended warranty on the vehicle because he said everything he sold had a 3 month/3,000 mile warranty and since it had a new transmission it was under warranty for 12 months. Hindsight being 20/20 I wished I had never purchased this car. Within 2 weeks of owning the car the transmission began slipping, the warning light came on in the dash. I called him and explained my concern but he told me that this type of transmission just shifted differently and the light might be on for a number of reasons and he did not warrant engine light repairs as that is usually just some censor failing. I had less than 500 miles on the car at the time. He said just keep driving it it would be OK. I couldn't afford to take it in for repair anywhere else so I kept driving it. Eventually the shifting seemed to get better but the light did not go off. I called him again twice more in Dec 2010 and Jan 2011 the car had not reached the 3 month/ 3,000 mile limit at that time. I was put off and phone calls not returned. I was laid off Feb 4,2011 and tried to contact the owner to no avail. In March we took an extended road trip and the warning light went off but the car shook really bad jumping during shifting.When we returned home I called and spoke to the dealership owner who advised me the transmission was still warranted and to let him contact the person he had purchased it from and I could take it to him for repair. It was stll covered. I never got a phone call back and numerous attempts went unanswered.I was told he was out of town or some other excuse each time.The mileage on the car was 86,257 when we had to park it because it would not move.I did some research online and found there were known problem with this cars transmission. A rep from GM phoned me back and gave me a case #. She said I could take it to a GM dealer and the cost to replace the transmission would be $4000. and I would have to pay half. Again I tried the Dealer..no response. Then I went to the person who he bought the car from...a local automotive transmission repairman. There I was told the transmission was not warranted and he had put a used transmission in it before he sold it to the dealer.So now I have a car with a known problem made worse by so called professionals that I cannot drive. I am still obligated to pay the loan company which I cannot pay because I can't work because I have no transportation. My credit is being ruined. I spoke to an attorny who advised me to file a small claims suit. The maximum is only $3000. and that's not enough to repair ransmission or pay off the car. he then suggested to just tell the loan company to repo. What options do I have? Is there anything you can suggest? I can't afford a lawsuit but it seems that this car should not have been on the road with the known problems especially being sold at a licensed used car dealership.
    There is not a dipstick for the transmission. I found that out the hard way
    vueowner90,

You stated you spoke with GM Customer Service; do you have a case set up? If so, could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Mycase # is 71-933198650. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thank You
  • snowman19snowman19 Member Posts: 1
    hey Carol I bought a used Saturm Ion 2003 has 75,000 miles drove it for 2 months and transmission is dead.I contacted local Gm dealer and they say 5100 dollars to replace.I wrote to GM a month ago about the problem and never heard back.Im going to have the new tranny put in but was wondering if I qualify for the discount since the car only has 75,000.I told my local dealer about the issues this transmission has and she said she never heard anything about the problem.Can you help me with this or am I just stuck for the bill.I know there was a lawsuit settlement on this issue was wondering if it was being honored still.
    hny1161,

I would be happy to look into your case for you however could you please email me directly?

Thank you,
  • neworleansladyneworleanslady Member Posts: 3
    I sure will e-mail you but I do not have your address. I gave my VIN # but edmonds.com e-mailed me back and said due to privacy I could not post my VIN #. Thanks for your quick response !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just click on another member's name to get to their Profile. Email addresses will be available there if the member has made it public, as Caron has.
  • qcgirlqcgirl Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday May 19,2011 i bought a 2002 Saturn Vue from a used car dealer and three hours later it broke down on me. I am absolutely devastated i'm a college student and i put down every penny i have saved $3,000 to get the car and financed another $2,000 the car was sold as is so i have no legal repercussion to fix this. So now i have no car, no money for a down payment, and my credit will be ruined (which i have worked really hard to not have bad credit) because i can't make payments on a car i can't drive. I can't even find the words to describe how i feel right now utterly hopeless is close though. Saturn says there has been a transmission replacement done on the car once at 50,000miles there's only 85,000miles on it now how is it possible a car company would allow transmission that don't even last more than 50k miles in there cars? I bought a Saturn because i have multiple relatives who own one and love it. My dad has had three and they all got over 200,000. I feel like i've gotten stuck with a lemon and it's going to ruin my life. Please tell me there is something that can be done keeping in mind i have no money because i used it to get the car.
  • jabirjabir Member Posts: 1
    i have saturn vue 2003 transmition probalame any one can help me??????????????????????
  • jrbud29jrbud29 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 vue with the Honda motor. I've read the problems about the transmission. I seem to experience the same boggy motor and shifting rpm's at 30-40mph. It has 77,000 and I made an appointment to get the tranny flushed. Why should I not get it flushed?
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    I would not flush it since the Honda trans uses special fluid (called Z1) I wouldn't believe for a minute that the fluid they are flushing through it is the correct fluid so ultimately you wind up with a bunch of new fluid in your trans that is of the wrong specification. Don't be fooled - the "Z1" IS a special fluid. And at $80+ a case they are probably not filling the flushing machine with the stuff.

Get the fluid at a Honda dealer and drain and refill the transmission fluid. I bet it will cure your boggy shifting and save you a bunch of $ in the process.

Here's the procedure: link title
  • lukeluckylukelucky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Saturn Vue Redline, and mine has been extremely reliable. I have had it since 2007, and never had a problem. The engine has plenty of power and gets good mpg(21-23 city, 25-28 highway and i have even got 30mpg twice!). I would recommend this car to anyone in the suv market.
  • tiredoftrannytiredoftranny Member Posts: 1
    Very long story, but my 2003 Saturn Vue is at my local "Saturn Authorized Dealer" awaiting it's 5th transmission. It takes 7-10 days to get it and another two days to fix it.

At this point I think they are just sending the current tranny to get rebuilt and will send it back. They won't give me a loaner either. The worst thing about this is the last time the tranny was replaced I had to fight to only pay for the tranny partially. It was $2,800.00. This was in October and a few months ago I started noticing it was slipping, but the dealer couldn't "replicate" the issue after having the car for a day and another day I took the tranny guy for an over 30 mile drive. Finally after I agreed to leave it at the dealer for as long as it would take for a mechanic to drive it home every day until it did it for him, he "replicated' the issue.

The first time it happened was when the car was 3 months old.

The people who engineered this transmission were inept individuals who don't realize what danger people like myself are being put in driving these death traps.
  • lomojolomojo Member Posts: 1
    I bought it new, at 30,000 miles tran went out and Austin Texas dealership did a repair and I insisted on an extended warranty, they gave me till 75,000, I had to use it twice at Arlington Texas dealership (again they "repaired" it) and by then I had found out what a bad deal I had on my hands, here I am now at 130,000 and the car will go in Reverse but not drive, I am unemployed and DO NOT have the money for a new tran or new car, and regardless of my present finances I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO!!!!! where is GM now? where is Saturn customer service?
  • jazzytravjazzytrav Member Posts: 1
    I have the 4-cylinder version of the 2006 Saturn Vue. For a few months now there has been a delay in reverse. I brought it into a transmission place, which told me it needs either a rebuild or new tranny. I was just told today that there is a recall on Saturn Vue transmissions that my car qualifies for, but I can't seem to find any information on it. Does anyone know about the recall that I'm talking about and if my Vue qualifies?
    jazzytrav,
    I apologize for your concerns. Can you please email me your VIN and I will look into recall information for you. I look forward to speaking with you! Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • luvlance0504luvlance0504 Member Posts: 1
    Hello one and all.

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue with less that 83,000 miles on it. I bought this car from a dealership as used on Janurary, 31st 2010, and yes the Carfax is clean on it. I started to have problems with it last week. I took it into the garage and was told that I need a brand new transmission, because the one I have is factory defective and will be $4000 to fix it. Also he mentioned that the guy that he gets his transmissions from sells 3-5 of these a week. Now correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like a lot to me. It should be apparent that I do not feel like paying for this, if it is a problem with the make of it. Any suggestions on how to get ahold of GM to discuss it being replaced? Thank you all.
    Kim
  • tq1221tq1221 Member Posts: 1
    There was a class-action suit filed several years ago, which Saturn lost. However, when GM took them over and filed bankruptcy, they weaseled out of having to pay for all of the costs of repair/replacement of the tranny. So, basically, we're screwed. I have an '03 with under 65,000 miles on it, and I'm holding my breath until next summer when I will buy a new car - definitely NOT GM.
  • addidas40addidas40 Member Posts: 14
    My situation is the same as many others who have posted. I purchased a 2003 Saturn Vue NEW. My Vue had 86,013 miles on it when we noticed that it was having trouble shifting gears. On May 31, 2001 on our way home on the highway it started making a loud screeching noise and would not go over 10 miles. When we took it in to have it serviced at the dealership we were told that the VTi transmission was out and that this was a common problem with this type of transmission. The only thing that Saturn offered was to pay half of the total amount of $6000.00 to have it repaired. We do not have $3000.00 for a car repair plus I am very leery about putting $3000.00 into my car. We contacted three other places to see about getting a transmission and were told that the VTi transmissions could not be rebuilt because they would malfunction again and again. This seemed to be a well known problem among the mechanics I contacted. A different transmission would have to be put in. We were also told that we could trade in the Saturn for $5000.00 but we would have to buy a new GM car. Why would I want to buy another GM vehicle when they show no accountability in the handling the defects for the Vti transmission? Saturn is currently in a lawsuit over the Vti transmissions. I was transferred to the legal dept when I contacted Saturn about the problem to a woman who was no help. Prior to this we had electrical problems with the BCM three years after we purchased it and had to have it replaced. The car would not start sometimes, the horn kept going off, the lights would flicker and unhooking the battery was only a temporary solution. Here are some resources below for those of you in the same situation. GM will not do anything that is not beneficial to them. They hike the price of the dealer repairing the transmission by 100% (about $6000.00) so that it will look like they are paying half. They also expect for you to invest more money in GM to buy a new vehicle before they give you the $5000.00 trade in value.
    You can file complaints with:
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Tweet and Facebook your experience on the GM pages

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265
  • suzy13suzy13 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased (2 weeks ago) a 2006 Saturn Vue V6 AWD.
    Today it is acting very odd. It is revving up like it needs to switch to a different gear, it switches to a higher gear but is still revving horribly. So much so that when I am driving it with the radio blaring, I can hear the engine rev.
    Please check to see if there is a recall on the V6's as well.
    I am quite concerned considering I have had it only a couple of weeks.
    HELP please.
    Suzanne
    The recall on the 06 transmission is to check/replace the torque converter if it is faulty - your symptoms do not necessarily point to that IMHO...before you panic, the Honda transmission in your Vue is really sensitive to clean fluid. Have your transmission fluid changed - be sure that they use the Honda specific "Z1" fluid. You may find that your problem will go away. Don't get it flushed, just have them drain it and replace what they have drained.

Good luck.....
  • bismarck318bismarck318 Member Posts: 49
    Hello Suzanne & to all,

The recall on the V6 is to initally reprogram the PCM (reset shift points) to control vibrations or 'ju">link titletter' in the transmission in the 20-40 mph mark. If the reprogram does not work the torque converter is suspect (much as in my case but I'll get to that later). I think this recall came out in February of '11.

As 442 said DO displace your V6 Tranny fluid at least every 25K, with a Z1 Honda approved fluid (it will take about 4.5 to 4.8 qts per displacement & this will not change all the fluid as about half remains in the torque converter.

Rather than go on & on perhaps read this forum on other people (including myself) with similar issues.

For those that have experienced torque converter failures (3.5L)

Saturn would not aknowledge this problem while my vehicle was still under a powertrain warranty the following spring after I purchased it . The Tech that reprogrammed my PCM (Under Recall) was not happy with it & stated I should bring it back (The reprogram helped for about a day then went back to it's old habits). I returned it to the dealer a month later to find that the Tech that was familiar with it has left & the other techs could not find a problem in 2 weeks I left it (FYI no loner will be provided). The vehicle still has vibrations or shudders, & now has picked up a vibration around the 50-55 mph mark which isn't too bad but I believe it's related.

Bottom line if it doesn't throw a code, via the OBD at the dealership, you likely aren't going to get anything out of GM .. Since then the vehicle has pulled me into an intersection when the TC failed to unlock with moderate brake pressure, TC unlocked in the midst of a left hand turn into oncoming traffic leaving me without power momentarily (then 2 backjerking shifts).

I have had this vehicle for nearly 3 years, I purchased it in the winter so it was very hard to determine this untill the next spring (when I promptly complained to Saturn). The low end shifts (especially when cold) have been rough erratic & sometimes unpredictable like a person learning to drive with a clutch.

I had RPM ocillations (@30-35mph) that went away with my first fluid displacement, as this is important I've displaced my fluid 4 times in the past 10K.

I'm glad to see at least some of you are sucessful, I did not get anywhere with GM on the 800 number on the recall notice. Unfortunately I don't think this vehicle will ever be right.
    Suzanne,

I would be happy to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email me your VIN.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    bismarck318,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Since you have spoken with GM Customer Assistance could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Thank you Caron.
    I emialed directly to 'socialmedia@gm.com'
    Thank you for the info.
    I will try that.
    I am just in panic mode. Have the dealer limited warranty for 60 days, after that, this single mommy is all on her own and cannot afford to replace anything drastic.

Thanks again!!
    Thank you for the information!!
  • jbg13jbg13 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I dont know if you already figured out your problem but....I actually just bought 2006 V6 Vue & I went through the same vibration at around 13-1500 rpm. I too took it to one GM dealer to have the update done, it helped only for a day & then back to the vibration. I ended up taking it to a different GM dealer & they took it for a ride & said " it's the torque convertor " so simple right? Not, I've been driving myself crazy with this issue! ;) they ordered the part I brought it in & in two days it was fixed. So I guess my best advice is to find a GM dealer that works on Sarurns. Hope this helps.
  • jamesmerfeldjamesmerfeld Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I bought my 2006' Saturn Vue late 2006. At 32k miles I took it to the dealer for a pronounced shudder around 20-40 MPH after lightly accelerating from a stop. They couldn't duplicate so my complaint was documented. I returned to the dealer around 33k miles and complained again, same symptoms. This time they were able to duplicate while driving the car so they replaced the torque converter under warranty, gave me a 12 month/12k mile warranty on the repair, and sent me on my way. Well, now at 65k miles (no longer under warranty) I'm experiencing the same symptoms again. Called the GM 800# and found there is an active recall for powertrain control module.

My question is, if its the torque again, am I going to have to foot the bill for the repair? Any advice for working with GM to get this resolved? I have all my paperwork from the torque converter ordeal.

Thanks,
    James
    jamesmerfeld,
    Can you please email me your case number and VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kerry3330kerry3330 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2004 Saturn Vue for my daughter last year. One of the selling points was that it had a new transmission. The seller even provided the paperwork from the Saturn dealership. Last month the transmission went out. We had it towed to the GM dealer and they told me $6200 to fix it. They said that if I talked to Saturn and Saturn called them that they could fix the transmission (under warranty). There was only 40,000 miles on this transmission. Saturn called the dealership got all the information. She sounded very positive about what the outcome would be. She agreed that since it was replaced at a Saturn dealership it should be under warranty. After a couple days, I received a call from GM. She was very rude and basically said they would not stand behind the transmission and I was out of luck. So I have beautiful looking car that is worth absolutley $0 and now have to buy a new used car for my daughter. So disillusioned with GM right now. There has to be something I can do to get the transmission replaced or at least get some cash out of the hunk of metal.
    My experience with GM is that they will not do anything to fix the VTi transmission problems. The only thing GM's customer service did was apologize and sympathize with me.

You can file complaints with:
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Tweet and Facebook your experience on the GM pages

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265
    addidas40,
    Can you please send me your VIN and case number? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    kerry3330,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • mcljoemcljoe Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the Vue at 78000 km. I noticed the vibration in the front end when accelarating and slowing down always between 30-55 kph. At around 120k km i replaced both front wheel bearings. This helped with a lot of the vibration I was having except for the one at 50 kph. Today while I was driving home the front passenger side wheel started locking up. Any ideas on what this could be. It would roll for a little bit but then suddenly lock up and start skidding. After the third time I pulled over and parked it. There is 148k km on it now and just needing some ideas at what to look at first for repairs.
    First I would check the brake caliper to make sure its working correctly. Even when the hub bearings go bad, I have never seen one that completely locked up. I guess it could happen but I've never seen it.

Once you determine it to be good or bad you can go inward from there...bearing...1/2 shaft/cv joint...
    YW,

FYI the recall number for the 3.5 transmission is #10285 (February 2011) (for the transmission PCM re-program). ..if this helps anyone.

I purchased my vehicle at 3 years & 1 month into service, & later found out through my Saturn dealership this vehicle had 8 (eight) front wheel bearing services performed by the dealer. This information was not on the CarFax, nor were a few other issues.

I found out Saturn had kept great service records on this vehicle as someone else mentioned someone who is really familiar with this problem needs to advise on it (a former Saturn Tech), but where have they all gone?

Once again if you are experiencing any abnormalities on the 3.5, first is to displace the fluid with a Honda Z1 approved fluid. The service interval listed in the owners manual (50K) is not often enough, especially for severe service conditions. Normally (back in the day) you could run a GM transmission to a 100K (& beyond) without transmission service, not so with this one.

Unfortunately these vehicles had great potential, but seem to be plagued by design issues, one thing I will miss is the GM space frame Polymer body panel design.... much like the first generation U-Bodies Lumina/Transport/Silouette & 4th Generation F-Bodies (Along with the Fiero) had.
    Thank you Caron, I had sent you information on this the other day.
  • joaniepjoaniep Member Posts: 2
    Don't buy 2002-05 Saturn Vue or Ion! VTI transmission failure expected by GM but no recall issued. I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because I cannot afford the $5500 rebuilt transmission. My car is only worth $6500. I never received written notification or was notified by the Saturn Dealership during routine maintenance. I cannot afford a new car payment; which is why I took care of my Vue - so I wouldn't have to. GM lost class action to replace these transmissions but filed for bankruptcy and received government (taxpayer) bailout before owners notified. Class action re-filed with "new" GM to compel to provide owners with relief.
    Spoke with GM dealers, GM Business Resource Center and Joe - our (NC) regional GM representative to no avail.
    I hear you on this one I am in the exact same situation
  • joaniepjoaniep Member Posts: 2
    I am so sorry to hear this. I have committed to warn other consumers about the faulty GM transmission, warranties and service. There is a class action that you can join - free and no commitment. Lakin and Chapman. Google it.

Best to you!
    Not to go off topic here, but........

I had found out through Saturn dealership records via my Saturn local dealer (that was still in business) that my vehicle had 8 front wheel bearing replacements in about 2 & a half years... (5 on one side 3 on the other I believe). These replacements were done by a Saturn dealer, & this information was NOT disclosed on CarFAX or any other reporting site... this would have sent up red flags to me.

I purchased this through a GM dealer just 3 years into service, apparently these repairs are not made available via the GM network, but by the brand name.... & not need to be reported to these CarFax (or facsimile) paid information networks.
  • usarmychicusarmychic Member Posts: 1
    Here is a stupid question.. How do I check it??? I am stationed in Europe, and I took my Saturn Vue in for a normal oil change, and asked the gentlemen if he could check the transmission fluid, since I just got here and my vehicle just got off the boat to get here. He said he could not find where it is,,, My light just went on inside the vehicle that shows the transmission.. Someone PLEASE help me. thanks!!
    The 3.5 V6 dipstick tube is located on the front right hand (looking frm the front) side kinda buried under the air snorkle so it's not right on top.

A light showing the Transmission???

I thought these vehicles fuel systems needed to be altered to run in Europe?

What is this little "f" in the blue box everywhere that seems to be making my PC go haywire?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The "f" box is for sending your post to your Facebook page. It should only be showing up next to the post title box.

Time to reboot perhaps?
    TY steve, I don't have an account there & my PC is always rebooted, as on here & many sites that incorporate 'f' I here clicks, the pages stall, & crash.

Went out of town last weekend had to rent a vehicle was afraid the Vue might leave me stranded.

Thought the vehicle would finally be made right with this campaign, I'm very disappointed with both GM & Honda on this one.
  • mbeach01mbeach01 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Hi Caron,

We have a shutter on our '06 Vue 3.5 transmission as described in this forum. We changed the transmission fluid with the Honda variety about 30 days ago and it improved the shutter greatly, but it is returning. There are no more Saturn Dealers in the Orlando, Fl area. Where can we take our Vue to have this looked into? What about this recall: #10285 (February 2011) (for the transmission PCM re-program)? Also, what if it needs a torque converter? Is that covered? Car has 72000 miles.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.