Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    OUCH ! Went to the local Culver City dealer and saw one 2003 black Limited 2WD(!), V8 with a sticker price above $42,000! This is the highest I've seen on these pages. There was no navigational system. Is this price range similar across the country?
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    Definitely not the normal price range. I'm traveling in the western part of NC. The dealer here has 3 on the lot ALL under MSRP by a decent margin. So much so I was taken aback, since this is such a new vehicle in such hi demand. I was seriously thinking about grabbing one this weekend, but none have the options/trim that I want.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Miller is always overpriced. Try Torrance Toyota on PCH. They don't sell over MSRP and should be able to work with you. They had a Limited 2WD with goodies for quite a bit less than what you stated above.
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    I've seen two Limiteds, in the Houston area, priced at $35,000 and $36,000. That was sticker price. Both were 4x2. No navigation system or sunroof.
    Ok I've done SOME back reading and didn't see these issues addressed. If they have been and I missed them let me know where and I'll quit wasting everyone's time. Does anyone understand what the x-reas suspension system does and how it works? Is it a hinderance in a low traction environment (offroad/snow/wet boat ramp)? Second, are leather/heated seats an option on the sport/sr5 or are these only available on the limited (wife "has to have" heated seats). Third, do the power seats have a 2 position memory (wife is 5'6"; I'm 6'2")? Finally, someone tell Toyota that the matte gray cladding is great for those who actually use a vehicle anywhere off pavement, but those stupid notches ruin an otherwise great look. Oh and not to beat the dead horse, but why would you not offer a tiny third row seat as an option in a vehicle this size? Yes, it will be vestigial at best and suited only for short trips/small kids/people you dislike, but how about letting me decide if I want/need it? Thanks in advance for any and all info.
    Heated leather is only on the Limited.

Dealer should be able to have leather installed in SR5/Sport but no heated seats and not with side air bag option. Dealer option.

X-REAS is supposed to control roll and pitch better. Not sure how this affects it off road. Sounds like something for better on road handling & ride. I have a feeling it might hamper off road handling because it might not let the suspension flex as much as it should. Not quite sure.
    Sounds like a reasonable guess about the xreas. Can you clarify the side airbags comment? Are the somehow connected to a package that includes/excludes the heated seats? Not sure what you meant. Ideally I'd like SR-5/sport exterior w/heated seats and the side airbags. If not possible then can I at least get the side airbags and heated seats together on a limited? Don't really wanna go there, but if it's the only way to get that combo I might have to. Thanks.
    Sorry about the confusion on that one.

The heated seats (leather) only come on the Limited. Factory installed.

The dealer told me they could have leather put in on a SR5/Sport model. This would be a dealer option which they send out to have done. They could only install leather on the standard seats, not the seats with the side air bags in them.

No heated seats for SR5/Sport models.

Hope this clarifies thing better. Sorry.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I've just got a quick question. Is it me or does there seem to be wind noise when cruising on the highway in the 4Runner at lets say speeds of 60-70mph or so? I know it's an SUV and it sits up high and is not very aerodynamic like a sports car, but does that have a role to play in picking up on a bit more wind noise. It's not that loud, I just hear it more than I did then when I was driving on the highway in my 89 Camry. Anyone out there with advice on this? Does anyone know what I am talking about? I have driven other SUV's such as Durango's, Cherokees, Montero's, Explorer's, Expeditions and maybe they have wind noise as well, but I can't recall too well. Also, is that startup roar you get when you turn the key on your 4Runner a trait on these SUV's. It roars for the first few feet when driving and then quiets down. I'm guessing that's how the engine is designed, it's pretty cool or maybe there's something wrong with it. Does anyone know?
    It could be the way the engine warms up. They have a tendency to high idle at first.

Noise is sometimes a little subjective. You might check the window/door seals. Even bad alignment or the kind of tire you have can make a vehicle noisier.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is the engine cooling fan - it runs every time you start up the engine, then after a minute it stops unless the engine actually needs it running because it is hot. This design has been around at Toyota since the dawn of time, and one thing that is nice about it is that as the truck ages, you can always tell if that fan clutch is still working, without having to go under the hood.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    All that wind noise seems to be coming from the side mirrors. Toyota even redesigned the mirrors for the 2000 model year, but they still don't seem to be very quiet. I read that the redesign was meant to reduce the amount of turbulence created by the mirrors, I'm not sure if it's actually much better than the previous years though.
  • paul147paul147 Member Posts: 5
    I'M TRYING TO LOCATE A SPORT 4X4 WITH NO SUNROOF, I'm 6'1" and can't fit in one with a S/R. If anyone has purchased one yet please let me know what you paid. Thanks Paul
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    Saw it Sunday, didn't drive it, but want to. I was favorable impressed with the look. I got the impression from the photos that it was kind of short and fat..not so. The real thing looks longer. The dimpled (pimpled?) pillar is a little wierd, but not bad...it's actually not that noticable. But this notched wheel well? Gotta say that is a little annoying. I think they might be trying to convey some type of "raw machine" look to differentiate the 4Runner from other, softer SUVs and the crossovers. It's not good, but won't keep me from buying if I like the ride.

OUCHHHH, Cliffy, on the Toyota Epic. I've got one. I talked to the GUY IN CHARGE at Toyota Marine about it...he says they simply underestimated the loyalty of the ski crowd to their brand. That's the mistake. The product was and is terrific, great fit and finish, and the Lexus V8 is like silk. Even though they bailed, Toyota has a 10 year plan for parts and service. I guess I'll put it with my 8-track, Beta-max, 386, Legend and everything else I've owned that they don't make anymore. BTW, I gave $27,000.

Lastly, on the surge brakes. They work reasonably well under normal circumstances. Trying to back up even a slight inline is often impossible. There should be a mechanical lockout for reverse, or an electrical lockout. It senses the backup light circuit and locks out the sliding surge feature.

Thanks to all for the useful info on the 4Runner...you don't think Toyota will bail on this........
  • topgun10topgun10 Member Posts: 11
    I drove a Limited black on grey leather yesterday that was loaded, sans the nav system. The engine/transmission combo is excellent. Very smooth and a butt load of punch off the line. Superior seating position, with ample distance from seat cushion to floor surface. Interior materials are of high quality with an IKEA type atmosphere - I liked it. The sound system rocked as well. Really, the only misgiving I have is the darn cladding and fender well shape. Maybe some 20" wheels would help fill the openings.
  • toyofan33toyofan33 Member Posts: 1
    Paul147 -
    I live in the South East region and here they are bringing all 4x4 Sports in with Sunroof's. I am a pretty tall guy myself and understand your situation. I have seen some here w/ Sunroof's go for about 32K. You may be able to special order the vehicle just the way you want it, but that would take 90 to 120 days before you even got the vehicle because of the fact these vehicles are still built in Japan.
  • climbingfooclimbingfoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    This past weekend, a friend of mine told me that I could install a rear locker on my 2002 2wd 4runner? Any truth behind this? What's the point in putting a locker on a 2wd?
  • mreilly2mreilly2 Member Posts: 6
    I finally saw the 2003 4runner in person this past weekend, a silver Limited model. The interior looked good and appeared to be constructed of top quality materials. The exterior (cheesy) was a different story and looked like a juxtaposition of after market body panels from the JC Whitney catalog. The rear end of the vehicle also looked stupid and appears to have been designed as an afterthought. The tiny tailpipe placed on the right rear of the vehicle looks lost amid all of the plastic; a dual exhaust system would have looked so much better. It's really a shame what Toyota has done to this vehicle. I really wanted to like it as my 2000 SR5 has been bullet proof in terms of reliability and runs like a champ in the mud and snow.

I'm sure this vehicle will sell since most will prioritize reliability and value over aesthetics, but I can't see spending ~40K on a car that's looks this eccentric and gaudy.

Since I won't be in the market for a new vehicle until 2004, I think I'll start saving my pennies for a V-10 TDI diesel powered VW Touareg (515 lbs/ft torque!). Although expensive, this truck looks the part and will be just as capable, if not more so, in the mud and snow. Add to that a touch of class, ruggedness, and exclusiveness, and VW's got a sale.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    so what's your point?
  • mreilly2mreilly2 Member Posts: 6
    What don't you comprehend?

Opinion - Redesign is ugly; not worth 40K = won't buy and will look elsewhere next year.
    Like my current 4runner, wanted to like the new one - don't. Toyota disappointed.

It was an opinion piece, like many others on this board. Perhaps it's contrary to your own.

What's your point?
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    It's seems a lot of us are comparing the 4th generation and the 3rd generation 4Runner. I found someone who posted pictures of their new 4Runner on the "Webshots" web site, but what is interesting is that he shows 3 shots of the new 4Runner next to his 1997 137,000 mile 4Runner. My view of the pictures:

1.) Boy that 6 year old 4Runner still looks great, Toyota can build a quality product.

2.) The new 4Runner is wider and not quite as tall.

3.) In the front view shot, the engine compartment of the 97 is larger, while the grill on the 03 is quite noticeable.

So what is your opinion?

http://community.webshots.com/album/52229257rmrwxr

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the older 4Runner has larger tires than what was stock, and may(?) be lifted as well.

Bob
    he has a lift, but I bet the tires are stock size 31x10.5

Boy these pictures sure do demonstrate one thing: the 3rd gen looked distinctive compared to other SUVs on the road, whereas the 4th gen blends - it is an "everyman" SUV.

I think Toyota felt that they were losing sales because of the unique styling and size of the Runner. The same way they build Buick Avalons, and took over that market, they are now attacking the American SUVs by building Chevy 4Runners.

I am sure the reliability and depreciation will be outstanding, just like Avalon, but the looks will not. Sadly, the offroad capability may not either.

Everyone who has test driven the new one and posted here has talked about the smooth ride and enormous quiet power of the 4th gen - that is what Toyota was going for - to make it more mainstream. Problem is, mainstream SUVs compromise their trucky qualities to cater to the soccer parents and the commuter executives.

Proof in the pudding - how many people have we seen post right here asking where that third row seat is?

You know what I would love to see? One of those test drive offroad courses like Land Rover has at all its dealerships!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"nippononly" I couldn't of said it better myself.
  • hannerhanhannerhan Member Posts: 18
    The problem here is that most everyone on this board really likes Toyota. We've all been looking forward to the new 4Runner for a while, and I think most people were basically hoping for the next coming of the Messiah or something. Let's face it, Toyota wants to sell vehicles. So why shouldn't they add power to compete with other SUV's? Why shouldn't they make it quieter? Why shouldn't they make it larger and more comfortable inside, and with more conveniences?

I think there are only 2 things negative that can be said about the new model - the body cladding is pretty ugly, and the ground clearance is not as great as the 3rd gen. As for the cladding, if you don't like it, either wait until they get rid of it, or get the Limited. You can't tell me that the black Limited posted above doesn't look great. It happens to be sitting next to a jacked-up 3rd gen with big tires, so that takes away from it a little, but I think this model will look great in 10 years, just like the older models. As for the reduced ground clearance, I think it's more than compensated for with the hill descent/incline systems, bigger engine, etc. that Toyota added.
    When you look at what else is out there, I don't think there's another SUV that competes with the new 4Runner if you consider power, quality, price, and off-road worthiness. I'd rather see Toyota move a little more mainstream with the 4Runner than the alternative: they make it more hardcore, it doesn't sell well, and they get rid of the model altogether. Think about that for a while...
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Funny, I saw the 2003 in this picture at a local Toyota dealership here in Bellevue, Wa on Friday..Guess they just bought in Burien, WA and had the itch to driver over to the Bellevue, WA dealer to show off:) The salespeople at the Bellevue dealership were licking their chops because they did not get a Limited initially, it this was their first chance to actually look, touch and feel it!!

You can't compare the two rigs because the 3rd gen has some type of lift and looks funny because it seems like one of those rear helper spring lifts?

I drove the 2003 and I loved it,but, I agree, the cladding makes me almost want to keep what I have?

But, like everything else that Toyota has built, it will grow on me...
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Of course I have to chime in. How many people are really going to take a new $30-40,000 vehicle extreme off road? I stress the word extreme. I am guessing here but, 80% to 90% of these vehicles wheels are never going to leave the pavement. It seems though like the people that post here are more avid off roaders and boat towers, but not rock climbers. Frankly, on my '98, there is 2WD, 4WD low and high, that's it. No locking diff, none of the hill assist, downard ascent, traction control, or fulltime 4WD(hi and lo)that is found on the on the 2003.

I think the 2003, while having some exterior styling quirks, appears to be more adequate off road, not less; especially for their target market. 100,000+ people are buying this vehicle annually. I use 4WD occasionally for vintage beer can dumping(collecting not littering); and pulling a boat out of the water. I am going to welcome the fulltime 4WD.

I would think the avid 4WD fan who seeks out extreme off roading, rock hill climbing/stream fjording, etc., would be better served with a manual FJ40 or a Jeep Wrangler/CJ modified to their needs...maybe the 2003 V8 4Runner even towing it?

Third row seating...it's going to be offered as an option on the same platform Lexus; it does not compromise the beloved fixed rear axle; why not offer it as an option on the Toyota? I don't think it's any less "trucky/manly" to have that.
    Gimmick, or useful? Whaddya think?

At first I liked the idea. Now I'm not so sure. In all my years of stuffing luggage, etc. in the cargo area of my SUVs, not once did I wish for this feature.

The vertical space under the shelve is not huge, so I'm not sure large suitcases would fit under it, and, due to the 60(?) pound shelve limit, I don't think you would want to put heavy suitcase(s) on top of the shelve.

I would rather have seen an integrated dog/cargo guard instead.

Bob
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Can it be removed easily?
    when not needed. I guess it can be removed, although I haven't checked. When folded flat, it adds about an inch or so to the load floor height.

Bob
  • alan271alan271 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to purchase a new SUV to replace my
    1991 Ford Bronco. I wanted to go to a mid-size vehicle and was looking at the Chevy Trailblazer and the Explorer. I have a 19 foot runabout, weighs 3500lbs or so. I have always liked the 4runner, but was concerned about the 3.4 V6 lacking power, and, I have seen some 2002 and prior 4runners towing and the rear end droops quite a bit.

I happened upon a 2003 V8 model and enjoyed driving it. Smooth and quiet, plenty of power...
    but that body cladding is ugly. The Limited (without the cladding) is really expensive. I am starting to think more about the 2002 model.

Any opinions on the 2002 model (I like the Sport version for instance) and tow capability?
    If I only tow 5 or 6 times a year, would I be OK?
    I don't want to be barely making it up hills while worrying about overheating the engine and trans. I also don't want to have the rear end dragging. Anyone have experience adding after market products to make the 2002 better at towing?

thanks!
    If you're towing a 3500 pound trailer, Toyota (and many other brands too) require you to have trailer brakes.

Bob
  • alan271alan271 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your answer. The boat trailer has surge brakes. I am concerned with the 2002 engine/trans/suspension capability. For instance,
    would I need to add an oil and/or trans cooler?
    Would I need to add a kit to the rear suspension?

As I said, I would rather have the V8 in the 03 version, but that cladding is a turn-off. thanks again.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Transmission cooler I would surely add. Oil cooler would help also, but may not really be needed the few times you tow.

You really need to think this one over. I know I would be kicking myself in the butt for not getting the 2003 model with either engine, when you start to tow up a steep incline with people and gear and it shifts down into second gear. Then you wonder how much damage you are doing to your vehicle.

I do not like the body cladding either. But, operation wise, it will help to prevent nicks, scratches, and dings from debris and other events.

You are going to spend a lot of hard earned cash. Get something you know you are going to be happy with or you will be miserable.

If you buy a pre 2002 4Runner, you can add the TRD supercharger. Cost is around $2800. Then for sure I would add the oil cooler.

I tow with a 96 T-100 SR5 Xtracab 4x4 with the 3.4 motor. The one boat weighs around 2500#. It pulls it OK in third gear on the auto tranny. But going up steep hills, loaded up, it will get down around 45-50, then jump down into second.

Food for thought!
    welllllllll, my Runner was the equivalent price when it was new...point is I bought it used to go off and have some offroad fun...no-one takes a brand new $35K truck into the sticks with their precious paint. The point is, this truck will be used some day just like mine was when I bought it, but unfortunately it will not be as capable as mine. Toyota doesn't care about that -they will have moved on to their latest and greatest by then and the soccer crowd will be loving it.

OTOH, listen to dmetzger above - Toyo sure addressed his needs. Clearly, for moderate to heavy towing the 3rd gen left people wanting. So the new truck will meet his needs and a lot of other peoples' needs a lot better.

Bottom line: when I get to the point in 4 or 5 years that I will be buying a "new" used Toyota to go offroading, it probably won't be 4Runner, it will probably be a 4WD, V-6 double cab Tacoma, which will serve this need a lot better. Hopefully they don't mess that one up when they redo it next time.

Is it so terrible to celebrate the fact that the 2nd and 3rd gen Runners really stood out from the crowd, and that the 4th gen doesn't? By that, all I mean is that the earlier trucks were still unique even in the last year of their production (some would say, in negative ways! They were skinny and high off the ground, and didn't have an especially great on-pavement ride!). The 4th gen is a mainstreamer - for one or two years it will have the edge in power and techno gadgets, but then the market will overtake it once more, and this time it will have nothing left to make it unique until the next time Toyota redoes it.

Have you had a 4th generation off road yet? Just curious.
    and that is what I would very much like to do - problem is, how could I do it? I am looking for ideas here. That is why I was saying it would be really great if Toyota had mini offroad courses at their dealerships like Land Rover.

But I think maybe you mean to imply there is no way for me to know that offroad ability is reduced, and you are right about that, but the numbers are not encouraging - they are way off the 3rd gen numbers. And there is certainly no denying that it is wider than the previous ones. It is visually lower - all you have to do is go to the local dealer and look at two of them side by side, as I did. It is so much lower that if you look underneath you can see it without looking very hard, and this has me wondering how Toyota measured ground clearance on the 4th gen - was it by the same method as the previous trucks?

I would love to hear from someone who takes theirs off pavement and actually is brave enough to do so with their new '03...

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    You make some good points. The design is more mainstream, no question. But, '03 does address two major shortcomings: power and for me, AWD. I would think as well that the three new assists would make it more capable off road, not less.

I have a mental list of some of the great Japanese designs, and the 3rd generation 4Runner is at the top of the list. It is a great design that when your '98 4Runner is clean and people ask if you've gotten a new car. Two Japanese cars that make my list are the '89 Prelude, the '90 Legend, for example.

I'd be interested to hear your off-road impressions. Good luck finding a way to pull that off. Maybe drive to VA, and you and Cliffy disappear into the night with one. :)

I have the perfect vehicle for you: the LandCruiser FJ80 ('91-'97). No offense, I just see that vehicle suiting you well from what all you have said.
  • hannerhanhannerhan Member Posts: 18
    Check out this link for a test of the 4Runner off-road by an enthusiast, not some magazine:

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?s=6cee653d3b22c5456a98434f1b7a9b21&threadid=2498

It sounds to me like Toyota did a pretty good job with this one...
    I agree, the mini test track would be nice.

I can't imagine the '03 being lousy off-road. It is lower, but most people tend to lift their trucks for more serious off-roading anyway. Even just some nice BFG's a series taller on stock rims would do nicely.

That 1st gear in the V8 4WD drive is very torquey. 4Lo is impressive. I have a friend that bought one but I haven't talked her into going off-road yet. She's still breaking it in. Understandable. We tested the 4lo around the block just to get an idea of the extra low grunt. Very nice. Itching for dirt in that baby.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The 3rd gen 4Runner shares the same platform as the previous generation of Toyota Prado (some countries calls it, Hilux Surf). According to data from one country, the Toyota Prado (with 3.4L V6) can do an:

1. Incline of 42 degrees (90% grade).
    2. Sideway of 41 degrees (87% grade).

Toyota Land Cruiser (TLC 100) can do an:

1. Incline of 45 degrees (100% grade).
    2. Sideway of 45 degrees (100% grade).

Now, the new Prado (same as GX470 and '03 4Runner) can do an: (Note, this may be with the new V6, not the V8)

1. Incline of 32 degrees (62% grade).
    2. No info on sideway grades.

Again, this is all derived information. But, this info is FACTS on the respective vehicles from Toyota websites in other countries. The website on the new Prado is:
    http://motorshow.toyota-europe.com/showroom/land_cruiser/kce_1.html
    still doesn't tell me it's lousy.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll say!

Toyota Land Cruiser (TLC 100) can do an:

2. Sideway of 45 degrees (100% grade).

(a) is that with or without the engine running?

(b) is that with or without the driver?

(c) if (b) = "yes" then is the driver on the uphill side?

(d) if (c) = "yes" then is the drivers body extended out the window?

(e) if (c) = "no" then is the driver's leg extened out the door propping it up?

What exactly was your source?

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Thanks!

It's not particularly informative in terms of the details. Frankly, I'd not try a 45° incline under real world conditions!

tidester
    Host
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    45 degrees is pretty much the maximum of ANY vehicle! Beyond that, physics take over...say goodbye to your investment!

It is really unfortunate that US-webpages are so UNinformative! Toyota.com is useless! Webpages in other countries have so much more information. It seems like Toyota assumes US customers have no idea what off-roading is!
    Really! The irony is that we have so much more in the way of fantastic offroading areas in the U.S. than most of Western Europe and Japan.

tidester
    Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think it's a lawyer thing :-)

"Dude, you rolled your rig". "Man, the web page said it was good up to 45%.. or was that 45°? I'm suing..."

Steve, Host
    There has been a lot of comparison of the 3rd and 4th generation. I know a lot of people were shocked when certain specs were down instead of up. People even said maybe the numbers are off, such as cargo space, payload, clearance and overall off road ability. Then there is the look, more of a Chevy than a 4Runner.

Well, I just got a new "Toyota Connections" in the mail and it had a article about the 4Runner. At the end of the article it said "But let Toyota Motor Corporation's chief engineer of the 4Runner, Junichi Furuyama, have the last word. "From the beginning, the goal of Toyota engineers was to develop on all-new 4Runner that would move from niche vehicle to core vehicle in the U.S. mid-size arena. In the process, we have have not only established a new benchmark in the mid-size SUV class, but the best all-around SUV on the market." "

Peter78 translation, don't compare the 4Runner to the old 4Runner, compare it to a Chevy or a Ford. Being too extreme is for a "niche" market.

-------------------------------------

Note: If you get "Toyota Connections", it has a $20 coupon to go test drive a new Toyota. Might as well make it a 4Runner.
  • felch1felch1 Member Posts: 19
    I would like to get some feedback on selling my 02 4 runner. I have to get rid of my vehicle(lost my job).
    02 SR5 4 Runner Sport Edition. With leather, moonroof,towpackage,roof rack,hood deflector and it has 13,500 miles on it and it is Thundercloud Grey.
    The dealer is offering $24,500 for a trade in, but that falls short of paying off the loan. Thought I might try to sell it privately for $27k but not sure how long that will take.
    Anyone have any suggestions? I live in NY near New Paltz.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike