Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Transmission Problems

Comments

• bismarck318bismarck318 Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2012
    My wife and I bought our FWD Redline Vue new in 2004. Recently I noticed it jerking a little when taking off from a stop or at slow speeds. Since reading this thread, "Shuddering" is a good word to describe it. Back in the summer months, we were driving it to North Carolina for vacation and I noticed that when I kept it at a steady speed (not under heavy load) between the speed of 35 and 50 mph, the tachometer was fluctuating about 200 - 300 rpms and the sound of the engine would change slightly while it was fluctuating.

This sounds to be the EXACT symptoms mine had, upon taking it in to Saturn of Mentor (still under powertrain warranty) I was told this was a busy transmission & is quite normal condition, the tech could not replicate the RPM's to fluctuate in that manner, as he could not get it on a smooth road without traffic. My fluctuating I noted was from 25-40 & was within 50-100 rpms, on a 1:3 second rhythmatic basis, sort of like 'gear hunting'. I was charged $115 for the diagnostic then was suggested to possibly change the fluid... The Fluid change seemed to stop the oscillations. However the jerky starts, rough low shifts & occasional gear hunting did not go away. You can perform this fluid displacement for around $20-30 yourself, just use Z-1 Honda approved fluid.

They just gave me a file number and told me to take it to a GM dealer to diagnose. He said if I elected to have any work done there, I would be responsible for all diagnosis charges and any replacement parts and labor.

GM CS insists there is no way around these $100-120 diagnostic fees, the fee was waived during the PCM re program, this was the first time a GM tech actually found an issue & was documented, when I returned the car to the dealer for further analysys (per permission with the dealer at a more convienient time, they had it for 2 weeks), the techs said no codes were present & went back again to being a 'busy transmission'. I am free to bring it back, though I'm likely going to get the same answer, & will be $120 poorer.

For starters, the GM maintence interval for transmission service is way too long, fluid change shuold be done at no longer than 50K miles & more realistically at 25K miles.

I would suggest not taking it in for the re program if you are happy with performance, I would say you really have to have serious issues that are going to be very obvious that the dealership cannot write off to being a characteristic of the power train. Once the PCM is complete & the dealership finds no codes, you are going to be responsible for everything thereafter. .... find a good honest & compentent transmission shop!

I have driven Hondas in the past, & they have quite smooth powertrains, I'm not sure why GM went with their own programming on the PCM instead of using Honda's.

What do we do? We need this car and can't be without a car for weeks? Anyone have a print out or electronic version of a TSB for this? I don't want to take it to the dealership and be dismissed and then have the entire transmission burn up a couple months from now.

I was willing to have the dealer have this for as long as they needed to correct the problem after my layoff (mistake), thus I'm hesitant to even return it as a dealership repair would far exceed the market value of the vehicle. Good luck & keep your fingers crossed, & for everyone, please change your fluid!!!

Does this look like a car that has 155,000 miles? We really take care of our vehicles.

Looks very nice! :) although I keep after mine, the excessive use of chemical here it's a losing battle, my liftgate was rusting after less than 3 years & the wheels are completely pitted & delaminating in spite of yearly waxings.
    For all there are 2 issues with 2 different transmissions here...

The problem with the Vti on the 2002-05 4 cylinders

The juddering, gear hunting issue with the Honda 3.5 V6.

94mark94, you want the TSB with the PCM reprogram that came out in early '11, though it did not cover '04's for some reason.
  • 94mark9494mark94 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2012
    Thank you for the information bismarck.

I asked my wife to look through our paperwork because i thought we had our dealership try to assess the fluctuating. Sure enough, we found the paperwork from last june and the tech mentioned he couldnt replicate the issue and it was most likely overderive kicking in... We were sent on our way.

We took the car back to them this past saturday because i got so nervous after stumbling on this thread. The dealer has a bunch of new folks and a master tech thas was with saturn for 9 years. They were all very helpful and sympethetic. They explained that they do see this often and it seems to be an issue around 110,000 miles and they have worked on a bunch with the same issue. I left it with them and they called to say they were able to replicate the issues easily and it is definitely the torque converter. They said that we should have it done quickly because it is failing and if it fails completely, the transmission will be destroyed too. They didnt mention anything about the reprogram and im not going to have that done because it runs and shifts just fine.

Im looking at about $2,200 to replace the torque converter alone and they also gave me two other options to replace the tranny as well but of course that was more money.

They waived the diagnosis fee because i dont think they even had to hook it up to a machine to diagnose. It was still nice of them to waive the fee.

They commented the truck was in great shape and it had no oil leaks, tranny leaks etc. and they were surprised that it didnt have a tranny leak because they also tend to start leaking around 110,000 miles.

Im waiting on a final price from the dealer so i can make my appointment because we want it fixed asap but we will only be able to go with the least expensive option which will be to replace the converter, flush and refill the tranny, replace various gaskets including exhaust gaskets because they said they have to drop some of the exhaust to remove the transmission and get to the converter. They dont want to crack open the tranny because it seems to be working properly so they will just flush and refill.

Ive emailed Sarah and Christina here considering im experiencing the well documented coverter issue that many are experiencing here. Have not heard from them back yet.

Im hoping that once we fix it, it will go another 156,000 and drive as good as new. It would also be awesome to get a little help from GM to help soften the blow!!!!
    edited March 2012
    Update for me:

Heard back from Christina here and she entered a GM Customer Service file number for me and said someone from GM would be in touch with me. Thanks for the help again Christina!

My dealership called me and offered us a brand new transmission and torque converter for $3,200. Just replacing the torque converter alone would have set us back $2,200 and the dealership said that just replacing a torque converter alone isn't best practice and the tranny should be done as well. Not too sure if they are telling the truth but I asked if the transmission was a Honda or GM product and they were adamant it was the Honda equipment as they are still making them. They also said the tranny would come with a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty so we figured it would be the way to go. The tranny has to come from Michigan so it looks like it will arrive sometime next week and we'll have it done then.

Definitely more than we want to spend but we do plan on keeping this car for a while longer.
  • jpohlingjpohling Member Posts: 7
    If your looking for a transmission and have seen these guys on-line...................

Do not do it! I cannot express my feelings enough! Just do not allow Rami Transmissions, e-bay seller Rami5566.718, aka YS&D Engine to supply you with a remanufactured (suposedly) transmission. If you live within walking distance of the shop them perhaps you have a chance in hell of receiving satisfaction. Unfortunately If you are using them via the internet to provide you with a replacement transmission then prepare to be ripped off!

The deceit and dishonesty runs throughout this FAMILY operation. Do some research and you will find that there are a number of unsatisfied customers. The 5 star reviews are from the family members themselves! I only wish that I had done a bit more due dilegence when researching this sham of an operation. Look at Kudzu.com 5 star review from ykadoch ! this is the e-mail address for the company! HAHA Check out showmelocal all bad reviews. I just wish I had done more homework before purchasing from them 3000 miles away.

All family members are obviously trained in the ways that they operate. I have not found one honest person on the other end of the phone yet. Rami, Amir, the wife, etc. All well versed in the art of telling you exactly what you want to hear with out ever delivering.

They knew all the right things to say on the phone, and seemed very knowledgable on the transmission issues. Remanufactured transmission with 2 year warranty (HAHAHA) with free torque converter and in line filter available for reasonable price! I took the hook! Initial purchase and shipping happened very quickly, But the transmission they supplied had issues from the start! Troubleshooted the problems directly with Rami! Thought it may have been a selenoid or something on my end. Replaced selenoids. This was never the problem. Rami finally says..............I will send you a replacement! Dont believe him!

At this point I am thinking its just my luck, but I do not want to belive I am being scammed. 2 months later............... excuse after excuse, need to wait for a core to rebuild one (what about my core that I returned that you never credited my account the $450.00 for the core refund?) Oh we just rebuilt three, waiting for the dyno to check. OK all 3 are good sending today. Wait wait , call for tracking number. Given bogus number. Call shipping company..........NO we never had a pick up for you!. Oh now Dyno is broken waiting for Dyno repair to test. OK, wait wait wait. OK here is pick up number xxx using new shipper. I call shipper! Oh yeah we have pick up scheduled, But we do not even deliver to California! WTF! This is over a period of several weeks where they dodge your phone number. I am now only getting thru by using friends cell phones from out of state numbers!! OMG then the numerous hang ups on me and the promisses to call back. And all of this is using “God willing” and other just rediculous comments that try to allude to the fact that they are somehow honest! HAHAHA

So in short! Do some more research! These people are scam artists. Luckily my Credit Card company agrees and I did not wait to long to start the restitution process, but these people are crooks and should not be allowed to prey on people on the internet. I am actually happy at the outcome now, because even if they had come thru somehow in the end I would not ever trust the transmission that they would have shipped to me so good riddance RAMI TRANSMISSIONS!

PS Rami transmissions..............its been over a week and I havent received the return phone call you promised “on your word” to return that day!
  • rcbrawnerrcbrawner Member Posts: 1
    I recently had my husband change my oil and he disconnected the battery to get to the oilf filter a liitle easier... after that happended the car will shut off when I am in drive and have to stop. Ii have to put into nuetral or park and restart. It seems that when it idles in park - its ok... but in drive it shuts off. This happened to my husbands car after he replaced the starter and disconnected his battery too (he has camry), the guy at the auto parts place said the car needed to reprogram. He drove it for a day and it corrected itself... my Saturn has been doing this now for 3 days and has not corrected itself yet. This happened last year after my battery died and was replaced so i feel like it has something to do with the disconnection of the battery... but I did not know about the reset and I took it to a dealer that works on Saturn and paid $300 for a what they said was a fuel flush... I do not have the money to take this to a dealer and hope that they dont take advantage of the situation (which i now wonder if that is what they did last year). Is there some type of Switch or something specific that needs to be done for a reset or something I can try on my own?
  • ike77ike77 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Saturn Vue in 2003. The transmission just went out and needs to be rebuilt. This will cost around 5k. The vehicle only has 78k miles. The only benefit that GM is offering is 5k towards a new GM vehicle if I choose to turn in my Vue. They would have covered 50% of the repairs but my vehicle is over 8 years old by 6 months. Obviously I am not happy that they are not willing to help pay the repairs, especially since of the low mileage and missing the cut off by 6 months. You would think that would want to assist. When I look to buy me next vehicle I would have at least thought of buying another GM vehicle. Now it is very doubtful due to the lack of help that I have received to help fix this issue.
  • msfitsmsfits Member Posts: 5
    Our Vue's transmission needs to be replaced. It was replaced in 2007 shortly after we bought it used (approx 2 weeks later). We've been told $4,000 to $5,000. We do not want to put that much into it at this point. What options are there? We were going to keep this car for a long time - it only has about 70K on it but that is too much money for a vehicle that needs a new tranny every few years. What have other people done as far as selling their Vue when the tranny goes out?
    edited March 2012
    Thank you for the information bismarck.

I asked my wife to look through our paperwork because i thought we had our dealership try to assess the fluctuating. Sure enough, we found the paperwork from last june and the tech mentioned he couldnt replicate the issue and it was most likely overderive kicking in... We were sent on our way.

We took the car back to them this past saturday because i got so nervous after stumbling on this thread. The dealer has a bunch of new folks and a master tech thas was with saturn for 9 years. They were all very helpful and sympethetic. They explained that they do see this often and it seems to be an issue around 110,000 miles and they have worked on a bunch with the same issue. I left it with them and they called to say they were able to replicate the issues easily and it is definitely the torque converter. They said that we should have it done quickly because it is failing and if it fails completely, the transmission will be destroyed too. They didnt mention anything about the reprogram and im not going to have that done because it runs and shifts just fine.

So the jerky starts are a TC related issue?

YW & I glad things are working out for you :D ... as for me, they knew this transmission was faulty from my first compaint, the service manager at the Saturn dealer was very careful in his choice of words to me as the other dealer. I only drive 3-7K a year, & GM is aware of this & their risk management pretty much will decide on how to handle this. In my case the transmission was going to last the duration of the warranty (which it did), thus they decided to blow me off.

Now I'm sure me bearing all of the inflated costs they will find fault with a hefty repair... likely with costs exceeding the current market value of the vehicle.

Again, yours looks in great shape, you know it's history, so likely worth it to be putting $2200 instead of purchasing someone elses headache.
    Sorry to hear Bismarck but keep hounding GM to see if they will help out. I've been trying to get my assigned GM rep to call me to discuss what happened but he keeps calling my home phone despite me leaving messages asking that he call my cell phone since we are at work during the day...

I'm a little annoyed how everything played out for me and want to discuss with him.

Apparently the "good deal" on the new transmission was all GM was willing to help out with. Originally my dealer said it was the TQ and it was failing but everything else was fine so they would replace the TQ and refill the transmission and I would be good to go. That was going to cost $2,200. I got a call from my dealer a few days later and they said they got a really good deal on a new transmission with a 3 year /100,000 mile warranty and that they recommend going this route since the transmission should really be replaced with a TQ. This went against everything I was told before and they really pushed that I replace the transmission and TQ and this was the best option. At this time a claim was put in to GM and in the back of my mind I thought I may still be able to get GM to help out since this is a well known problem. I called my dealership the next day and told them we will go with this option at a cost of $3,150.00. I had to put down $2,000 to get this going and that afternoon I received a call from my CSR at GM assigned to my case and he went to explain that the new transmission at a cost of $3,150.00 was the assistance GM was offering. I was very confused by this because my dealership never mentioned GM was in contact with them and they just said they "got a good deal on the transmission" and that they would go this route.

Of course we had already put down the $2000.00 so I had to proceed with this route but if I had all the facts, I would have just stuck with the original plan of having the TQ replaced for a cost of $2,200 since that would have cost us $1,000 less. Not many people have $3k plus laying around to fix issues that are a well know issue...

The transmission has been replaced in our car and things are OK with it so far. It's not my car but my wife says she hasn't felt much yet so far.

What increased my frustration ever further is the fact that after all this was done, I've come to find out that there is a recall on 2005, 2006 and 2007 V6 models with the Honda V6 engine. They are calling it a Torque Converter recall and it consists of a reprogram where it keeps RPM levels above a certain point in order to get the TQ to engage properly and stay engaged. People who have had it done, say they no longer feel the juttering and gear hunting. Many say they got it done and also had the transmission fluid replaced and all the symptoms disappeared.

My question is why are the 2004 models ommitted? We have the same engines, transmissions, ECU, equipment etc. yet we are omitted from the recall. If I could have had the reprogram done and had the transmission fluid replaced, it may have solved all our issues and we wouldn't have had to spend $3,150.00 out of our pocket

What did GM do with the perfectly good transmission they removed from my car? I'm sure they'll be refurbing it and reselling...

Why aren't our 2004 models recalled as well? I think I'm honestly done with GM and we were considering buying a Cadillac SRX down the line to replace the VUE but think I'll be sticking with Honda from now on. They are on top of anything wrong with their vehicles and are prompt to send any recall information and are thorough.

Sorry for the long post... just frustrated after paying a repair bill that might not have even been necessary.
    Mark
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Mark,

If you wanted to post your case number, I could notify your agent that you need to be called on your cell phone. If you wanted to make sure we have the correct cell phone address, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with "ATTN: Sarah" in the subject line that includes your case number and cell phone number.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    edited March 2012
    Sorry to hear Bismarck but keep hounding GM to see if they will help out. I've been trying to get my assigned GM rep to call me to discuss what happened but he keeps calling my home phone despite me leaving messages asking that he call my cell phone since we are at work during the day...

I'm a little annoyed how everything played out for me and want to discuss with him.

94mark94, I think a few of us are peeved at how this is being handled, as far as the '04's not being covered the only logic was the age (>6 years)... that I can figure. GM was also unclear if this was indeed a recall or a service bulletin.

Right now as it was left I can make a service appointment, the dealer will hook it to the computer to find out if it throws a code, this will cost me about $120 a pop, & likely I will receive the same answer... & if there is a problem I will be given the same 'back door' deal you got on your transmission. Last word I was given that my file will be closed, since the diagnosis when the dealership had it for the 2 weeks was no problem found.... although it was still documented that tech that performed the PCM firmware upgrade was not happy with the results. This tech conveniently no longer works for this dealership. My PCM was reprogramed & as far as GM is concerned they fulfilled their obligations.

Per My dealer, they were just replacing the TqC's at the symptoms of the juttering, but said now it's not all that 'simple'. I really don't think the engineers at GM have this one fully figured out. For a value added costs this isn't even feasable for GM apparently even if it loses a future customer or sale. I was thoroughly disgusted in the workmanship in my 1982 J body, & divorced GM for 10 years over that.

Being out of work since last May, I cannot afford to play this game (but this is my personal issue), I should be driving something less exepensive & something I can work on myself. This problem we are experiencing rooted from an electronic problem as the engineers @ GM decided to do their own programming of the PCM instead of buying the component/programming off of Honda, but to my understanding there are even problems with the Odyssey/Pilot.

Strange thing too, that Honda does NOT recommend using DexCool in this engine, but an approved Honda Coolant or even regular Prestone. Yet GM fills this with DexCool, & removing it will void your powertrain warranty (Per my dealer).

With the Honda powertrain, I thought this would be the last thing I would have an issue with on this vehicle.
  • dsu97dsu97 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone on here cashed in on the Credit. I have a 2003 Vue, took it in a few weeks ago and was told I needed a new transmission. No way I am putting 4-5k into this car. I want to know if anyone has got the credit and how long was the process of getting the credit
  • 12eign12eign Member Posts: 1
    I am just wondering which transmission my vue has. It has been burning oil excessively within the last month and we were told the engine needs to be replaced in it, with only 85k miles on it. We bought it last June and the dealership we bought it from replaced the catalytic converter before we bought it. We would like to replace the engine, but we've heard so much about transmission problems since we bought it last year that we are afraid that will go out in the near future. From my understandings the VTi transmissions are the bad ones, so which kind is the 2004 3.5 L V6 FWD?
    Thanks!
  • dsu97dsu97 Member Posts: 2
    Did you take the 5k from GM?
  • ajjones1322ajjones1322 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car at 36k miles last year and I have had nothing but problems from battery to tires. Now the car keeps jumping and making a sound. Assuming that it is the transmission I absolutely do not have 4-5 more to put into a car that has cost me this much money in a year. What are my recourses since I seem to have gotten duped into thinking I was getting a great car that I could keep a while.
  • usedcarqueenusedcarqueen Member Posts: 1
    By the looks of this forum, I probably don't have a leg to stand on. I recently purchased this vue from a private owner. Ran perfectly fine no problems. Today, I went to back out of a parking space and it felt like I ran over something. Now reverse does not work at all. I paid $3000 for this vehicle and feel like a fool. Based on all the information I'm reading it looks like I will have to try to come up with over $3500 to replace the transmission. Really ticked. Any suggestions?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ajjones1322,
    Thank you for your post. What is your VIN and current mileage? Have you spoke with your dealer regarding this concern? Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Our Vue seems to be running fine since having the transmission replaced but if it was replaced with the same defective TQ and program mapping won't I have the same issue down the line?

I finally got to talk to my CSR at GM the other day and GM is not willing to help any further and I asked why the 2004 Vue's are not part of the recall on the TQ. He really had no information for me and just gave me the basic line about recalls being VIN specific and based on the parts and the assembly plants.

He said the TQ in the 2004 Vue is most likely a different part compared to the 2005-2007 models. To me that doesn't make much sense since the equipment came from Honda so the engine and transmission would be exactly the same.

Just frustrated knowing that we had a perfectly good transmission before and our issue may have been solved if we were part of the recall and just changed the transmission fluid. It could have saved me $3,200.

This car was my first and only American product I have owned and I went against my better judgement buying it but my wife loved it. While it has been relatively good to us, it will be my last GM purchase. We're just not happy with how this all played out and why we aren't included in recall notifications if we have the same exact car and equipment. As seen throughout the thread, there are many 2004 owners that have issues with the V6 TQ.
    Our Vue seems to be running fine since having the transmission replaced but if it was replaced with the same defective TQ and program mapping won't I have the same issue down the line?

I finally got to talk to my CSR at GM the other day and GM is not willing to help any further and I asked why the 2004 Vue's are not part of the recall on the TQ. He really had no information for me and just gave me the basic line about recalls being VIN specific and based on the parts and the assembly plants.

He said the TQ in the 2004 Vue is most likely a different part compared to the 2005-2007 models. To me that doesn't make much sense since the equipment came from Honda so the engine and transmission would be exactly the same.

Just frustrated knowing that we had a perfectly good transmission before and our issue may have been solved if we were part of the recall and just changed the transmission fluid. It could have saved me $3,200.

This car was my first and only American product I have owned and I went against my better judgement buying it but my wife loved it. While it has been relatively good to us, it will be my last GM purchase. We're just not happy with how this all played out and why we aren't included in recall notifications if we have the same exact car and equipment. As seen throughout the thread, there are many 2004 owners that have issues with the V6 TQ.

The car has always been noisey in the front end and we burn through brakes like their nothing. I never understood why a truck this size and that has a 256 HP engine has drum brakes in the rear. We replace rotors and pads at least once a year, sometimes 2 times a year. We've had to have the wheel bearings replaced at our expense, multiple wiring harness connections associated to the ABS system, the AC compressor went and while the dealership was replacing the transmission, they went to remove the sway bar and endlinks in the front, and the endlinks just completely fell apart in the techs hands. Makes me feel real good knowing that my wife and 2 little girls travel in this 80 miles each day...

Tech said that the endlinks also are known to go bad in these, they eat through wheel bearings and brakes also. If these are common problems, shouldn't GM address them?

Again, I will not buy GM again in the future because I feel since Saturn is gone, GM really doesn't care. I don't want to take a chance again in the future when that division of GM might dissolve or GM as a whole may go under and I'll be left with no support once again.

Sticking to the foreign cars which have always treated me well.
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    Your Vue has a Honda engine and Honda 5 speed transmission...its not a VTi - they were only in the 4 cylinder models...

I'm really surprised that you're having this kind of problem with the Honda engine, they're typically really good...

Good Luck
  • vueowner99kvueowner99k Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of people regretting buying this car.... second owner just shy of the 100k mark on mileage, just had a quote given to me by a local shop for over 4k to repair the transmission. my symptoms was what I could only describe as a whirring grinding noise that tended to get loudest while downshifting.... around the 20 mile per hour range while decelerating. I had bought this vehicle from a private owner just 8 months prior and loved it, but obviously didn't see all the warnings on forums about this vehicle. it is still running but could go at any time. the shop I took it too even showed me an opened transmission they had been working on for a while, as the owners son has the same model on the lot right now for the same reason. I have researched the recall but fear that I wont get any assistance in the the repairs. I will be contacting the dealership in the am, hopefully someone will have compassion and help me out with this. I just fear to sink the money into the repairs when there is no guarantee the transmission will even go another 30k miles befor needing to be replaced again :(
  • gmstinksgmstinks Member Posts: 4
    Good luck with the dealer...I am on my second transmission and the dealer said that GM will not replace it...they did however offer me 3000.00 off a NEW car which is pretty much BS because I don't want a car payment I want my car fixed! So I can either pay for a new transmission myself or take their deal or get away from GM all together and go buy a used vehicle made by a company that is willing to stand behind their vehicles. You would think that a company who took government bail out money and filed for bankruptcy would be a little more concerned about their reputation...guess not. Use your money to buy something dependable and stay away from GM!
    We too are on our 2nd tranny and the check engine light had been on and it wasn't shifting when hot. It would also not drive in drive at times. Somebody suggested to add 14oz of Lucas Transmission Additive and after being told the only thing we could do was put in a new tranny at $4-5K, we were willing to try it. It seems to have helped somewhat. The light is now not on all the time and it has only been hesitating in drive once in a while - almost always when it is hot or we have done several short trips. Might be coincidence or luck but we are just happy we seem to have some extra time to decide what to do. We already know we aren't going to spend the money on a new transmission but debating whether to try to sell it now. We don't want a car payment and had planned on having this car for years.
    edited April 2012
    ajjones1322 & vueowner99k do you have the Honda V6 Powertrain or the the I4 CVT setup? msfits I didn't not any change with the Lucas product, unless it was that subtle of a change.

Both of these seemed to be a fail with engineering & durability issues.

For those of you with the Honda V6 you are likely not going to get anything out of GM. I stress change (or displace the 4.8 quarts) of transmission fluid religously on a yearly basis with a Honda Z1 approved fluid! This is not a hard procedure for the do it yourselfer & can cost under $20 depending where you get the fluid from.

GM did NOT specify the correct service interval on this & the PCM programming only made the fluid wear issue worse.

I to do not want a car payment, as I'm one of the long term unemployed.. a shame GM is farming out it's CS overseas.

94mark94, good to hear it's running well, a shame you spent needless $$!

I will return to a foreign car on my next purchase.
  • booklover1booklover1 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2003 Vue and have had 2 transmissions. I had the last one installed just 2 years ago and it has 34000 miles. It will run really nice but only in reverse. Why was I never informed about the "soft recall"? If I had been I would have sold it before this issue came up. I always thought Saturn was a quality vechicle. I have owned 3 and the Vue is the only one I am having major issues with. Got a call into GM customer service since the dealership that installed the last transmission won't do anything.
  • jwow209jwow209 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 saturn vue. It's an AWD and I have been having issues with my transmission and when i called about the recall they told me that there was no recall about saturns or the transmission and that i would have to take it in to get it fixed. But when i looked up to read more about the recall it shows that my car is part of that recall! Idk what i should do.
  • jwow209jwow209 Member Posts: 2
    I called into a GM Dealership and they keep telling me that there is no recall on any Saturns because i have been having issues with my tranmssion as well.
    jwow209,

If you wanted to get us the last 8 digits of your VIN, we could check to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com

Looking forward to assisting,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Ours is the CVT set up. 2nd one......

With the Lucas additive, it was subtle at first and still have problems especially if doing a bunch of short trips (in otherwards, we now avoid them if we want to put the car in drive and go!). But the light is going on less frequently and if my husband drives it to work, it's been good - for now.
    An update - last Friday the tranny started slipping and my husband had to leave the car in the parking lot at work. We might have gotten a few extra weeks of use but it appears our "luck" is up.
  • booklover1booklover1 Member Posts: 6
    You want to get back at GM? Post your stories on Facebook. Go to the Facebook site for GM and put your story in detail and lets show them how upset we are and what we think of GM and their practice of selling GARBAGE! They do not like negative feedback on a popular site. You will be amazed at how fast they respond to your post. Also put in a BBB (Better Business Bureau)complaint against them. It is called a lemon law issue because GM knows the cars are having these issues and they are not making an effort to get these vechicles off the road or compensating owners fairly. Like you I still owe on my VUE and can't afford to take on another car payment. I was told by GM they would do NOTHING for me and the dealer offered to give me $1000 trade in on a newer car. After all it has transmission issues, so how can I expect more?! REALLY?!!!!
  • kzvuekzvue Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that the torque converter is going or gone. The car shudders slightly when going into 2nd or 3rd gear(automatic). I would be glad to have feedback from anyone who has had the same experience.Is their any chance of a recall situation. I am at 96,000 miles KZ
    kzvue,
    Thank you for posting your question. My best advice for an accurate diagnosis is to speak with a GM dealer, if you haven't already. Please feel free to email me with more information about your vehicle such as your VIN. Let me know if you need assistance locating a dealer. I hope your having a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • neill1neill1 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2004 Vue V6 AWD. 137,XXX miles. It happens in low RPM range for me. It's been going on for about 4 years now.

I have read on saturnfans.com forum that this problem is common. One person stated they had the torque converter replaced at a transmission shop and they later received a check for the replacement cost after many phone calls to GM. I don't have the money or time to do that.
  • mcbaker16mcbaker16 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    I purchased a used Saturn Vue 2005 in 2007 with 45000 miles and a warranty from a dealer. The transmission has gone out three times and is on the verge of going out again. I have had to pay for some of the labor. Staurn fixed it twice but only one transmission was installed and the saturn dealer has since gone out of business. The car has 160000 miles on it but the transmissions wee all supposed to have warranties on them because they were supposed to be new. Well, I called a couple of GM dealerships and they said there was nothing they could do eventhough they did find the records in workbench (Your service system).

I been getting calls from a couple of attorneys wanting to file a lawsuit but I really just want a working/running vehicle.

Can you help? Here are the names of the people that the attorney told me to call:

Sean Garrison – Global Warranty Management

Lisa Campbell – Manager Warranty

Dale Hall – Warranty administration

Alicia Boler-Davis -VP of customer experience
    Same problem with our 2004 V6. Truck ran well otherwise and dealership told us first that it was the TQ and that we would be fine to just replace that. Later they recommended that we do the entire transmission as the TQ shouldn't be done by itself...

Like suckers we fell for that and got a new transmission at our expense. GM said they gave us a discounted rate on the transmission and that was all the help they were willing to provide.

There is a TQ recall for 2005 and 2006 (maybe 2007 also if they still had the Honda V6) which reprograms the ECU to engage the TQ at a higher RPM so you don't feel the shudder. I would recommend that you take it to a GM dealer that is authorized to work on Saturns and have them perform the TQ reprogram and then have them flush the transmission. These transmissions like to have the fluid changed frequently and I feel that if the recall was applicable to 2004 models and I had it reprogrammed and a flush and fill, I would have saved myself $3300.

So upset with GM that the recall doesn't apply to 2004, that they wouldn't help any further when they know there are problems with BOTH the V6 and i4 transmissions and for the fact that I was talked into spending thousands on a new transmission when the dealership originally told me the transmission was perfectly fine and we caught it in time.

If this was handled the right way, I would have been loyal to GM products. This was our first GM product and we have had it for 8 years now but it will most likely be our last. We've put a lot of money into it for the 8 years we've owned it to keep it running and running well but it's now starting to cost a lot to maintain. Had the transmission done in March, had the entire AC system replaced about a month ago and now it needs new rear shocks and front brakes again. This thing eats through brakes and rotors for us due to the fact it only has disk brakes in the front. We replace the rotors and pads at least once a year and the shops can't resurface the rotors since they warp so badly. My brother bought a Redline Vue after seeing ours and he has the same problems as we do. There are definitely issues with these trucks that GM should address or compensate us for if we have already paid to fix.

Best of luck with your issue and I definitely suggest you try the easy route of a reprogram and flush if it can save you thousands.
    Mark
    mcbaker16,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, the name of the dealer that is now out of business as well as any other dealer you have spoke with about this. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • kimber0412kimber0412 Member Posts: 6
    I PURCHASED A 2005 SAUTURN VUE IN JULY 2007 - IT WAS USED WITH 24K. THE PERSON WHO TRADED IT IN DID SO BECAUSE HE FELT IT WAS "UNDERPOWERED". I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I WAS A SALESPERSON AT THE DEALERSHIP HE TRADED IT TO - A GM ONLY DEALER IN A VERY LOYAL GM TOWN. THIS DEALER IS A STAND ALONE DEALERSHIP - NOT PART OF A MEGA GROUP. THE PERSON WHO TRADED IT IN WAS A RETIRED GM WORKER AS WELL.

I THINK HE KNEW THAT TRANSMISSION FAILURE WAS IMMINENT AND WANTED TO CUT HIS LOSSES. I WAS NOT AS LUCKY.

FLASH FORWARD TO FEBRUARY 2011 AT 58K AND MY TRANSMISSION FAILED. GM TOLD ME I WAS OUT OF WARRANTY BY TIME (AUGUST 2010 WOULD HAVE BEEN THE CUT OFF) - WARRANTY ON THE TRANSMISSION WAS 5 YEARS/60K WHICHEVER CAME FIRST.

THEY SAID THEY WOULD OFFER ME 5K TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF ANOTHER GM PRODUCT IF I TRADED IT IN OR THEY WOULD SPLIT THE COST OF A NEW TRANSMISSION. I TRIED TO GO THE TRADE IN ROUTE AND WAS TOLD I NEEDED TO SHOW MORE INCOME. I GOT ANOTHER PERSON WITH 3 TIMES MY INCOME TO SIGN WITH ME AND THEN WAS JUST FLAT OUT TOLD NO - CAN'T GET THIS DEAL DONE. NOT YOUR CREDIT IS POOR OR YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INCOME - JUST FLAT OUT CAN'T GET IT DONE. I THINK GM JUST DIDN'T WANT THE CAR BACK - PERIOD.

AT GREAT FINANCIAL STRAIN I WENT THE ONLY ROUTE I COULD - SPENDING 2K (HALF OF A 4K TOTAL BILL) AND HAD IT REPAIRED.

FLASH FORWARD AGAIN TO MAY 2012 AND GUESS WHAT?

TRANSMISSION FAILED AGAIN. WARRANTY ON THE WORK WAS 12 MONTHS/12,000 MILES - SO I WAS OUT OF TIME BY 2 MONTHS.

CALLED GM - THEY SAID THEY COULDN'T OFFER ME ANY FURTHER ASSISTANCE. KEEP IN MIND I STILL OWE ON THIS VEHICLE. NOW THE LENDER DOESN'T WANT IT BUT THEY WON'T RELEASE THE TITLE TO UNLESS I PAY IT OFF. WITHOUT THE TITLE I CAN'T SCRAP IT AND TRY TO RECOUP ANY OF MY LOSSES. HAD JUST PUT NEW TIRES AND BRAKES ON IT AFTER THE TRANS WAS REPLACED.

SO NOW I AM OUT OF LUCK. NOT STUCK BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE - I AM UNDER THE ROCK IN A HARD PLACE.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY GM. GET A BUS PASS OR A BICYCLE OR A SKATEBOARD INSTEAD.
    That is just WRONG. So sorry to hear of your issues and the reason I will not come back to GM for any new purchases.

Do you have the 4 cylinder or V6 engine? Sounds like the 4 cylinder by your post of "underpowered" but wanted to make sure.
    YES, MY SATURN VUE IS A 4 CYLINDER ALL WHEEL DRIVE MODEL.

I FOOLISHLY THOUGHT MAYBE I WOULD GET SOME RESPONSES FROM "CHRISTINE" OR ONE OF THE OTHER GM PEOPLE WHO HAVE COMMENTED ON THIS SITE.

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW GM CAN KNOW THEY HAVE A VEHICLE WITH A TERRIBLE DESIGN AND DO NOTHING. IT'S NOT A CASE OF A RANDOM VEHICLE THAT JUST DOESN'T GEL TOGETHER WELL FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON - THEY KNOW IT WAS AN ILL CONCEIVED CONCEPT!

THE PERSON AT SATURN CUSTOMER CARE THAT I TALKED TO LAST TOLD ME WHEN THEY GET THESE VEHICLES BACK THEY SEND THEM DIRECTLY TO THE SALVAGE YARD. THAT IS IF ANYONE IS SUCCESSFUL IN THE 5K FOR TRADING IT IN OPTION. I DOUBT IF THAT HAS EVER EVEN HAPPENED. IT'S LIKE AN URBAN LEGEND. GM PUTS IT OUT THERE LIKE IT'S A POSSIBILITY BUT NO ONE KNOWS ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY WAS ABLE TO DO IT.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?

ANYONE?
    Kimber, I am in the exact same situation. I say we take to twitter and facebook. I am also not going to stop there. I spoke with a transmission specialist who saud most GM transmissions comes with a 36-75K warranty but this one is only 12K. It looks as if GM set all of us up. Why would they not give the same warranty? Also if it can only be fixed by replacing it with the same faulty transmission don't you think they new this and set us all up?

This needs pursuing and I don't know about you but I am not going to stop.
    kimber0412,

Did you have a case number from when you contacted Customer Assistance? We'd like to look further into this if you would please email that or the last 8 digits of your VIN (as well as a description of the situation) to socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    mcbaker16,
    If we can check into the warranty information on your Saturn, or work with you and a GM dealership towards resolving the transmission difficulties you are experiencing, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    MCBAKER16,

I sent an e-mail reply to "Sarah" this morning shortly after 9 a.m. EST and have not gotten a response. Have you?
    I got a message back from Sarah last week asking for my vin and mileage and she merely said that I was beyond my warranty and that there was nothing that GM could do. I have had my car for five years and every 1.5 years my transmission has gone out. Well, GM said that they only warranty the transmission in this car for 12,000 miles or 12 months and that's crazy especially when there other transmissions are covered far beyond 12k. I am working on this from a standpoint because this is crazy, they should have indicated this to our financing bodies when we purchased these vehicles. I have some of the admin names on the c-level that I am going to send a message to on twitter and facebook.
    I wish I could say that I was surprised about her response being just a regurgitation of the same thing the GM customer service people said to both of us before - beyond your warranty blah blah blah.

I still have yet to get any response. Wish I could say I was surprised about that.

I read an interesting point on an internet post about these issues...going to look up the source and post it in a future thread...but the person who wrote it was pointing out the fact that GM's position is that their bankruptcy filing disposed of the class action lawsuit and any responsibilities they had to Saturn owners with these horrible dangerous transmissions. That is tantamount to saying they would honor or pay other warranties on other vehicles purchased before their bankruptcy filing but not on the Saturns. You can't pick and choose which of your creditors you will pay or not when you file bankruptcy - you have to include (or dispose) of them all.

GM is not doing that. Chevy and Cadillac and Buick and all the rest who purchased before their bankruptcy filing in 2009 are not disallowed. Their warranty claims are being honored.

This situation is holding me hostage. I am not going to go quietly. Whatever I can do I am going to do it. Contacting an attorney as well.

Please keep me posted and I will do the same. This isn't right to do business this way.
    Sarah,

I sent this information to you directly on Monday morning. Why haven't I gotten a response?
    Good evening kimber0412,

I apologize for the delayed response time; incoming emails from the forum go to my coworker Christina and, at times, the inbox can get quite full. I will ask her about whether or not she has received your email, and I thank you for your patience. She will be back in the office at 8 am EST tomorrow morning.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service