Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Chevrolet Impala

tboom13tboom13 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2013 in Chevrolet
Has anyone heard/seen what is in store for the 2009 Impala. I am particularly interested to know if it will have automatic climate control. The 08 Malibu has automatic climate control and it seems odd to me that the 08 Impala doesn't have that option. So I was wondering if it will become available on the 09 Impala.

Also, any new colors?

Comments

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The 2009 Impalas started production on June 19th. Aside from some new exterior colors, Bluetooth, a new cupholder design, and new standard thorax side airbags it does not appear that automatic climate control is being offered.
  • rjp92rjp92 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone noticed a real difference between the new 3.9L engine in the 2009 Impala vs the previous 3.9L with the active fuel management feature as far as MPG goes? I currently have a 2007 Impala LTZ and on long trips on the highway I'm getting 29-30 MPG. I'm considering buying a 2009 Impala LTZ (that no longer has the AFM feature) and would like to know anyone's fuel economy experence. Thanks.
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    I have a 2009 LT with 3.9L that has 4800 miles on it. Still not truly broken in yet. However, The one long trip it has had, four-lane highway but not controlled access, several small cities/towns in the Texas hill country, and average speed of 65 mph--it averaged 27 mpg. I anticipate getting some improvement as the miles get closer to 8-10k. I had a 2006 LT with 3.5L that was a little more fuel efficient, but only by 2-3 mpg. They're close enough for me; I consider the increased power of the 3.9 a good trade off.
  • bigrigbigrig Member Posts: 2
    I bought my wife a new '09 Impala (1LT) which is a wonderful car except the lumbar in the split bench seat hits her "intrusively"---she almost can't stand to sit in it. She's short, and our daughter, also short, came home yesterday and immediately noticed the same thing. I hate to get rid of it already, but wondering if anyone else has same problem. Other than that, it's fantastic. Great mileage and nice features. Wonderful price also.

Haven't posted in years---good to be back! Still have my '01 LT 4WD Suburban, and you couldn't pry it away from me with a crowbar!

Bigrig
  • sstvosstvo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 LTZ with about 9500 miles and still only get 26 mpg on hwy doing 60-65 with cruise on most of time. With my style of driving, I also have a 2000 3.4 Impala with 192000 miles and I still get 30-31 mpg on the hwy and 20-22 in all city driving. I was hoping the 3.9 would perform much better than this. Maybe 29-30.
  • firstnewchevy1firstnewchevy1 Member Posts: 2
    A month ago I purchased a new 2009 Impala LT1 a month ago. Since I brought it home I have endured what I describe as wind noise whenever I go 35-45 mph. If it's the least bit windy it's worse. There is a service bulletin with this issue. I had it in the body shop today. The body shop manager performed all the adjustments even pulled off the mirrors. The noise still exists. I would describe is more of a wind drafting issue
    coming across the car. Has anyone else had this problem?? What did you do to fix it. This is my first new car at 52. I really want to be totally satisfied with the car. It's wonderful to drive just noisy,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much,
    Rhonda
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    I have had a 2006 and now have a 2009, neither of which have had any appreciable wind noise. They seem very quiet to me. A suggestion: ask the dealership if they will let you drive another 2009 Impala for comparison purposes. It will help establish a baseline for discussion with the service manager. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. Obviously, I have been very satisfied with my Impalas. Clark
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I own a 2006 Impala SS and it is one of the quietest cars I have ever owned. There is no road noise at 70 mph. It is one of the reasons I bought the car. You must have gotten a lemon.

Do you drive with your windows open or the sunroof open?
  • firstnewchevy1firstnewchevy1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help. I would describe it as a wind rushing noise. Of course my husband says to turn up the radio or air conditioner. I'm pretty sure that the windows are sealed. It does not have a sunroof and I do not drive with the windows down for the most part.
  • hotchkiss1hotchkiss1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2009 Impala, the cover on the engine says it has Active Fuel Management but there is no 6/3 cyl display. Is there an easy way to find out if it really has it?
  • txshldmtxshldm Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2009 impala LT with 42,000 miles. When I start it up it sounds like water swishing. Has anybody ever experienced this. Also I had to take my vehicle in twice because it jerked and the traction control light and the check engine light came on. the dealer could not duplicate the action so they reset the system. I paid for the diagnostic. It happened agian and this time I have been told that it was a faulty, something to do with the accellerator or other. Anybody else
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Txshldm,
    I am from GM Customer Service. If you would like to email me so I can get some more information from you, I can look up to see if you have any recalls on your vehicle. You can get my email address by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    2009 V6 Impalas do not have the AFM.
    when I start up sometimes it sounds like bubbling noise, then like water swaying back anf forth.
    Hello Tsxhldm,
    When did the condition first occur? Does it happen all the time or intermittently? Have you had the vehicle diagnosed yet? If so, what was the diagnosis? Thank you,
  • phatchphatch Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2009 Chevy Impala several months ago with less than 20,000 miles from the dealer. A terrible popping noise could be heard in the dashboard. It has been back for repairs over 5 times. New dashboard installed...still popping. It is not quiet. You cannot even turn the radio up load enought to cover the sound. I've told the dealer I am done and would have returned it outright at first if assurances were not made that it could be fixed. Now the dealer says it is not a safety issue and no one else is complaining. The salesperson check the 2010's on the lot and 6 are making the same noise. Is anyone else having and issue? And does anyone have any ideas???
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    I had a 2006 model and the popping sound could mean they have to retape the dash if its happening when you turn on the ac through the vents by the wind shield. If its coming from the passenger side by the foot wells, they will need to replace the coolant pipe under there, but that is more of a constant ticking sound. One other issue could be in the vent itself where the door that allows air in and out of the vent is jammed and makes annoying loud pop. Look up all the TSB's on the 2006 models and see if you are experiencing and of those issues.
    Hello Phatch,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • jbislanderjbislander Member Posts: 1
    Hello, We are in the process of exchanging our beloved 2003 Impala for a 2009 and have found that the headrest in the 2009 pushes your head forward and down. Most disconcerting and annoying. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem, I stilll want to drive an Impala but this could be a deal breaker for my husband. I'm 4'11" so I am able to avoid it.
  • klanning2klanning2 Member Posts: 1
    Txshldm/gmcustsvc,
    I was just wondering if you were able to resolve this issue. I seem to be having a very similar issue myself with my 09 Impala. My "Service Traction Control" and "Check Engine" lights often come on causing my engine power to be reduced, and it makes my cruise control unable to use. This is very annoying as I take many long trips in my car. I have taken my car back to the dealership three times for repairs but they haven't been able to fix it yet. Please let me know if you have found a solution or can help. I can provide more information via email.
    Thank you.
    Hello Klanning2,
    Because you have been to the dealership multiple times I would have to have an agent look at your concern further. They do require that you take the vehicle in to be diagnosed. I will need you to e-mail me your contact information, VIN, current mileage, dealership and best time to contact you in order to set up a case. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    TThe problem that was fixed was the check engine light turning on and the jerking motion. The problem was the sensor that is down by the accellarator it was faulty and they replaced it. since there has been no problem
    I have a 2009 Chevy Impala LT that says flexfuel my question is their a problem with mixing reguklar unleaded and E85 gas. my car is flexfuel however do we fill it up with only one or the other or can we mix it?
    txshldm,
    You can mix the E85 and gasoline. I would definitely recommend looking into the owners manual to read more on your FlexFuel engine.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • troy27troy27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 impala and when i turn right it will make a grinding sound and my traction light will flash then go off it only does it when i turn right and it does not do it all the time really only if i have came to a complete stop and trying to turn right has anyone else had this type of problem?
  • rjp92rjp92 Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 2004 impala - it turned out that the wheel bearing / ABS sensor in one of the front wheel went bad. Hope this helps.
    Have you had the chance to take the vehicle to your local dealership? Please keep me posted if the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • ladytamaraladytamara Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem - as do many others - I googled it. So, this is the solution - sort of ... if you take a paperclip - lift the headrest, on one of the round plastic holders there is a little hole - shove the paper clip in there to release it, lower the head rest and then raise it all the way up (works better with 2 people) and it will come out - the problem is finding a replacement - I tried a headrest from a 2007 Chevy Silverado - which fit and was about a 1/2 inch or so further back - but my problem is I have the 2009 Impala LTZ and the leather didnt match... I am replying to this in the hopes that a GM Rep will reply and tell us where to get replacements so that the interior matches? Apparently 2006 Silverado headrest also works - I also tried a headrest from a 2005 impala and the bars are too far apart - so I think that maybe Chevy (or GM?) any model car would possibly work for swapping out the headrest - maybe 2006 was the year that they changed the spacing of the bars? Good luck, if you find where to get replacements - please let me know!!! We have a trip from Michigan to Florida this week and I know my neck is going to die in this car if I cant find something to swap them out with! I actually refuse to drive this car because of this problem - it overshadows everything - otherwise very nice car - well maybe a couple other gripes... I also had the sensor problem it was something to do with the a bad selinoid and caused the check engine light to come on - then the remote start doesnt work if the check engine light is on - took that to the dealer and got it fixed - and wow drivers side BLIND SPOTS are insane on this car! I got it because I had had a 2004 impala which I loved... basically idk what they were thinking when they redesigned this impala they ruined it - for the rattle in the console & cup holders - i went to the dollar store and got some cushy kitchen drawer liner and cut it to fit - problem solved there. Thanks! Lady Tamara.
  • linda00linda00 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem with my 2010 Impala. The service traction control light comes on and immediately the check engine light comes on too and messages say service traction control and reduced engine power. I too have taken the car in and they can't find the problem. The traction control light will go off after tuning off the car and restarting it, but the engine light will stay on for a day or so and then all of a sudden it will be off the next time the car is started. Am frustrated! This was a lease car that was bought with 44,000 miles on it and I find it hard to believe this issue only started after I bought it but nothing was mentioned on the car fax.
  • gmown1987gmown1987 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2009 Chevy Imp and were told that the radiator has a hole/leak. Were also told that because we bought the car used from a GM dealer there was nothing they could do and would cost between $550 and $750 to fix. Has anyone else had a problem with the radiator. They should last longer then 2-3 years. We have only had the car little over a year and no accidents or front end problems to cause a hole in the radiator
  • tdiddy38tdiddy38 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue and when traction light comes on, my reducing power warning comes on too and then my check engine light.
  • rudybmartinezrudybmartinez Member Posts: 1
    I am having two problems with my 2009 Impala need some help please. First is the service traction control with reduced engine power loss, Second Clicking noise passenger dash board side that starts clicking then gets louder then cuts off after a few minutes. What can be done. Is there simple repairs that i can do myself. Awaiting for advice
  • irish_lady06irish_lady06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Impala that has done the same thing to me twice. I believe the code is 2122APP when put on the scope. My mechanic says that it has to do with the throttle sensor going bad. There are two of these linked to the throttle. This is something that should be covered under warranty.

Both times that it happened to me it was when I was trying to use my remote start. Hope this helps!
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Are you sure this is the radiator and not the A/C condenser, which is in front of the radiator? Sometimes flying gravel will punch a hole int he A/C condenser and if the condenser has to be replaced, you will also need receiver/dryer, and get the A/C recharged. The cost you mentioned is way too high for replacing just the radiator, which should be in $ 300 range. You can also buy genuine GM parts from gmpartsdirect.com and have your mechanic install them or do it yourself. there are also good aftermarket radiators available for around $ 200 for your car.
  • 09impalapain09impalapain Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed that some of the other messages on here are mentioning something similar. I'm very frustrated with this car after purchasing it a few months ago. It will die once every couple weeks, no codes, no sign it is about to die and start right back up. I've taken it back to the dealership several times but, they say they don't know what the problem is. Initially it made a huge jerk, almost like a hiccup, and I took it back for them to look at. They've adjusted the air intake, and some of the wiring but, still don't believe it's fixed. Because it's not throwing a code they say they can't do anything about it....
    Please Help! :cry:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    09impalapain,
    Have you worked with Customer Assistance on this already? If we can look into this with you, please email us the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 09impalapain09impalapain Member Posts: 3
    I have sent you the email concerning this, the car died again on the past weekend and I am arranging with the dealership to drop it off again to see if they can figure out what the problem is. Again, this is VERY frustrating.
  • oldreliable1oldreliable1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Impala with 38K easy miles was last driven for an hour or two, then parked in the driveway over night. The following day, it did not even turn over (the starter does not engage). All I hear is a single click when I turn the key. Then a light with an an image of an engine comes on the dashboard, followed by a check traction control message. I was very impressed with the car up to this point, having had no problems with it. Why has the car, which was in such good shape, suddenly died?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We're sorry that your otherwise faithful Impala decided not to start on Saturday morning. Have you been able to get it diagnosed since that point? If we can check into anything further for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • marb1999marb1999 Member Posts: 1
    Phatch or anyone else i was wondering do anyone hear a popping noise in their dashboard, i have a 2009 Impala and this just started and i was wondering do anybody know what the problem is?
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    IT COULD BE A DOOR IN THE HEAT & A/C DUCTS
    marb1999,

Looks like you're already getting some feedback on this. Let us know if you decide to work with a dealership to get this checked into at all as we're available to work with you through that process.

• kaycee24kaycee24 Member Posts: 1
    Good to know I'm not the only person experiencing this issue. Yesterday I got a flat tire on the way to work on my drive side front tire. When I pulled over to look at the tire and got back in my car was ticking loudly in my dash. It lasts bout a minute non-stop when I turn the car on or flip the a/c switch. But then this morning when I walked up to get in it was already ticking before I even touched it. If anyone knows if this is an issue I can fix alone or take somewhere please let me know.
    Thanks
    kaycee24,
    Let us know if you decide to go and get this checked into at a dealership as we're available to work with you through that process. We can be reached at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • pwilliams29pwilliams29 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get this issue figured out. my 09 impala is doing the same thing. sometimes when my car dies and I start it up again my tac doors not work.
  • pwilliams29pwilliams29 Member Posts: 2
    my Impala will randomly die. sometimes it will start right up. other times it will not and I have to wait a few minutes. sometimes when the AC is on the fan will slow down right before it dies. sometimes the tac will quit working. this is totally random when it happens. the mechanics could not figure it out nor duplicate what I had told them. my car is not showing any check engine codes. when it dies It feels like all electrical power is gone. my car has the 3.5 liter in it.
  • ken1951ken1951 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone determine if this can be fixed by the individual or did you take it to the dealer? We have the loud ticking/tapping noise in our Impala. It is an intermittent problem.
  • pianoplayer418pianoplayer418 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2009 Chevrolet Impala new in Feb 2009. I service it regularly with lube/oil change, tire rotations, etc. Each visit, they are supposed to be doing a multi point vehicle inspection. In July of 2009, the GM certified service did a complimentary alignment check--all was supposedly okay. In November of 2011 (with just 26,000 miles); they told me the tires were worn from the car being out of alignment! I had to buy 4 new tires plus something called a CAM BOLT KIT along with rear atrut bolts. I was told at that time that "these Impalas have alignment issues". I wasn't told on any previous visits that I needed to have the alignment checked (it was check 2 years prior).

As part of my regular maintenance, I got the fuel/air induction service done in March of 2013 with 38000 miles on the car. In July of 2013, I started having issues with the car being hard to start on a warm start. I took the car back in for service in August 2013 to look at the starting problem--and they told me that all the fuel injectors had to be replaced. Again they told me "these Impalas have problems with that". I also had the transmission fluid flushed on this visit in August 2013 at 43,000 miles. After the fuel injectors were replaced and the tran fluid flushed, I was driving the car home from the shop--then it started having problems with the engine losing power and became inoperable. I turned it off and turned it back on and drove okay--but then had the same scenario a couple of days later. Took the car back to the shop and had the same problem with engine losing power on the way BACK OUT to the shop. Car is currently back in shop to determine problem and how to fix AGAIN.

This car is only 4 years old and only has 43,000 miles on it. I should not be having these issues--the last of which is a major safety concern. It seems the car cannot be serviced or fixed correctly by the GM AUTHORIZED SERVICE center. This car has serious issues.

My spouse bought a Toyota van the week before I bought mine, and he has had no issues. I will NEVER buy a GM vehicle again (have bought them my entire life as a loyal GM customer). There are too many repairs and too many problems. My car only gets driven about 10,000 miles per year and is well maintained. If this car cannot run properly--then this Impala is indeed a substandard car.
    Hi pianoplayer,

I am very sorry that these vehicle issues have caused you to feel this way. If you haven't already spoken with GM Customer Service about this situation, I would like the chance to look more into this for you. Please email me your name, VIN, dealership, and contact info to [email protected] [attn Amber]. I look forward to hearing your response.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • whoisyodawhoisyoda Member Posts: 1
    kaycee24: I had the same issue. I just dealt with it for a whole winter season, then it went away on its own.