Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B-Series Starting problems

mminermminer Member Posts: 1
edited November 2015 in Mazda
I have a Mazda B4000 and I am having problems with it starting. About two weeks ago it would not crank, then after a couple of days it cranked again. It has been doing fine for the last week. Now I am driving it more to anf from the work site and today it will not crank again.

I did have it checked out and the mechanic said he didn''t find anything wrong with it. He did say that it needed new plugs and wires because the originals are on there.

What on earth could be a cause of this?

It won't crank, then it does and drives for a while, then it won't crank again.

Any help or advice?

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You may want to read through Ford Ranger Starting Problems to see if a similar problem and solution has already been noted.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • alnotatworkalnotatwork Member Posts: 2
    My 89 b2600i w/5 spd transmission and 225k miles started giving me grief last summer. I'd shut it off and when I tried to start it again I got nothing when I turned the key - no crank, no idiot lights, no heater fan, no radio. However, the headlights and emergency flashers all worked fine. After turning key on/off several times and/or waiting a few minutes everything went back to normal and it started just fine. Problem got progressively worse - ie. more frequent occurrences and longer waits to restart. Truck will not fire with push start when this occurs. Replaced battery cable ends and starter to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as truck is now sitting in the north woods of Minnesota 300 miles from home and 50 or so miles to any repair shops. Thanks.
  • weenypooweenypoo Member Posts: 2
    I REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP AN FILTER ON MY 1990 B2200 MAZDA TRUCK AN IT RAN GREAT FOR THREE WEEKS. I WAS ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK AND IT JUST QUIT RUNNING. I WAS TOLD IT HAD A FUEL RELY FROM THE DEALERSHIP PARTS DEPARTMENT BUT THEY SAID IT WAS IN THE FUSE BOX ON THE DRIVERSIDE FRONT FENDER. THE FUSE BOX ISN'T THERE AND THE FUSE BOX THAT IS UNDER THE HOOD DOESN'T HAVE A FUEL RELAY. I NEED MY TRUCK FOR WORK CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE? I'M GETTING PRETTY UPSET WITH THIS, I'VE HAD MY HEAD IN MOTOR MANUALS FOR WEEKS. i'VE ASKED EVERYONE, I EVEN CONTACTED THE MAZDA MANUFACTURE BUT ENDED UP AT A DEAD END BECAUSE THEY TRANSFERRED ME TO A PARTS DEPT THAT COULDN'T HELP BECAUSE OF IT BEING AN OLDER MODEL.. ANY IMPUT WOULD BE DEEPLY HELPFUL.
  • tonywatsontonywatson Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem with my 1997 B4000. I have asked all of my mechanic buddies about it and know one has been able to identify the cause of this problem. When my truck wont start, I will shoot a little starter fluid into the air intake and about 99% of the time it will fire up. I pull out the hose that goes from your valve cover to your air intake between the air filter and manifold. Its the easiest place to do it. You can also open your air filter housing and spray it in there. But if you do this make sure you close the housing back up before trying to start your engine. Mine backfired once when I had not closed the housing after spraying starter fluid in it and I almost got burned. Flames shot out at me and singed my eyelashes. If you should find out why this is happening, please post it here. I would love to know.
  • alnotatworkalnotatwork Member Posts: 2
    Update - new ignition switch solved the problem. Not the easiest installation for a hefty old guy with fat fingers, but we're back on the road (and in the ditches, etc.)
  • brgriecobrgrieco Member Posts: 1
    I am having what seems like the same problem. Have you had any luck yet? I am stumped please respond to [email protected]
  • tommie1818tommie1818 Member Posts: 1
    My b2200 1989 would not crank. Intermittant at first but then nothing (6 months) Roll started everytime. I checked starter,solenoid,coil,ignition switch, battery poles, battery. Nothing !! |Finally checked fusible link, (plastic connector) was ok not burned or anything, but being desparate by now opened up the link and the connectors were totally corroded.
    Used a wire brush,(Much like a bad battery connection) reconnected it and Bahhhm!

Very unusual! very economical to fix as well!
    I should have use a volt meter to check that line. I Must get in the habit of that.
    Hope it helps someone with mysterious and intermittant starting issues.
  • mrsixpackmrsixpack Member Posts: 39
    If your vehicle....any vehicle will not CRANK and the mechanic wants to replace the plugs and wires ................I'd find a new mechanic real fast !
  • driftwood2driftwood2 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 89 pickup that died and will not start
    has spark and fuel.any suggestions?
  • driftwood2driftwood2 Member Posts: 3
  • jrab2600ijrab2600i Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 B-2600i p/u and shut down while driving this March. Electrical still worked but no acceleration (fuel flow)...come to find out through diagnosis testing that it was the ECM (computer chip in firewall) was bad. Fortunately was replace and back on road but unfortunately part is expensive...part and labor ($1,100.00). If truck is worth something to you it's worth the amount. My truck is almost in mint condition, I take care of it and I use it for loading and off road job site purposes. Hope this helps.
  • twotrucktwotruck Member Posts: 1
    Tried to take starter off. Removed 3 bolts but would not come off. Is there a bolt on the top that I can not see?

The new starter has only 3 bolt holes.
  • lmoreno3lmoreno3 Member Posts: 21
    I was having the same problems with my '90 Mazda B2200. I found out that the problem was with the ignition key cylinder harness. I removed the steering wheel shroud then pulled and pushed on the ignition harness with my left hand, while turning the key with my right. The truck started right up. I did this for several weeks, until I noticed that the only bolt that holds the harness into the key cylinder, was a little too long. Got ahold of another one just a tad shorter and replaced the bolt. Truck now starts everytime I turn the key. Replacement harness costs about $100.00. The bolt only cost me 5 cents. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • bumbedbumbed Member Posts: 1
    replaced coil and ign. module, but still nothing out of ign. coil. also new rotor cap , wires and rotor button. anybody got an ideas?
  • kew_buggkew_bugg Member Posts: 2
    done posted this i thought but cant find it now,,, 1991 b2600 cranks easy in weather temps above 70 degress ,,wont start without either if temp is lower
  • gk384gk384 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1987 mazda b2600 carbarated 4 cylinder 8 valve and it sat for a bit with bad gas and a blown head gasket. i had the head rebuilt and put in new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I got it running and put in 91 octane to help burn out the old gas and a few days ago i took it for a drive and everything was ok until the oil light came on but it still made it home fine. today i started it up it ran rough and two blocks from the house it shut down. now it wont fire up and every once in a while it coughs out the muffler. Any ideas?
  • nokomoholenokomohole Member Posts: 2
    ihave no start signal at the starter,,, i have a b3000 2oo1... iwonder imy ask everyone...is it really worth it owning a mazda truck. ive spent so much money and time....when does it becme tooepensive to keep
  • mazda93surfermazda93surfer Member Posts: 1
    Did you fix your problem?
    I have the same situation
    My truck has been starting OK during the daytime
    In the evening - I need to crank it several times - before it will turn over
  • jgolden619jgolden619 Member Posts: 1
    My 88 B2200 will not crank. I have replaced fuel tank, fuel pump, and fuel filter. I have tried to used ether but to no use. It will crank for a second and die. Can anyone help?
  • jerrydeanjerrydean Member Posts: 1
    I have a b2200 and I was told that there is a module called Circuit Opening Relay that is under the drivers side kick panel the bottom one, that may fix your problem, I haven't had the time to replace mine....
  • paulntxkpaulntxk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Mazda B2200. It will sometimes start but die in maybe 5 seconds. will not restart, seems there is no spark when I hook a spark plug wire to a loose grounded spark plug. Sometimes if I leave it for a few hours or days, it will start again and then do the same thing (just quits like you turned off the ignition switch). Help please!!!
  • 1988b22001988b2200 Member Posts: 1
    Have you by chance come to figure out what the problem was. I am having the exact same issue and can not seem to figure it out. Replaced ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor as well as the ignition wiring to where the key goes but not the actual ignition switch wjere the key goes. Any info woud be great.. thanks . Beckie
  • hyrockhyrock Member Posts: 2

We have a 94 Mazda B4000 that has this intermittent starting problem. The dealer charged us $700 to look for the cause, and told us there is nothing wrong. Avoid dealerships at all cost. We started knocking the fuse box with our knuckles while the other person turned the ignition and it started. Discovered that it is a square relay within the fusebox named the EEC, basically Electric Relay. Others have noted that the power to radio and lights also was interrupted when it did not start. Replace the EEC relay.

• aloosebellaloosebell Member Posts: 2
    Hydro I. I have the same problem with a 98 b4000 did the eec relay fix your problem
  • aloosebellaloosebell Member Posts: 2
    mminer said:

I have a Mazda B4000 and I am having problems with it starting. About two weeks ago it would not crank, then after a couple of days it cranked again. It has been doing fine for the last week. Now I am driving it more to anf from the work site and today it will not crank again.

I did have it checked out and the mechanic said he didn''t find anything wrong with it. He did say that it needed new plugs and wires because the originals are on there.

What on earth could be a cause of this?

It won't crank, then it does and drives for a while, then it won't crank again.

Any help or advice?

• moses476moses476 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump on my 2003 mazda b4000. Sprayed starter fluid into vehicle and it started. Also released fuel pressure valve. How do you get fuel flow back into vehicle? 
  • chipmaleechipmalee Member Posts: 2
    Mazda 99 B4000 similar to Ranger. Similar starter problem to everyone. Cranks but doesn't start. More history on my video description. Any suggestions?

https://youtu.be/CbGM4HoIyhU