Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I don't think that is accurate. You have no CD changer in your center console?? Is the CD player behind the Nav unit??

Just for comparison, the Toyota LC & LX470 has the Nav, JBL/Mark Levinson system, and CD changer in center console.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Don't trust the trip computer. They are always wrong. Do it the old fashioned way by calculating how many miles you drove since the last fill up divided by the number of gallons. You will find that you normally get better mileage after the first few thousand miles and your first oil change.
    It is true. You give up the changer to get teh nav system. The same is true of the Camry.
    Why don't they just put the CD changer into the center console like on the Land cruiser??
  • jbhncjbhnc Member Posts: 16
    I got 21 MPG on the highway with my new 03 4runner (according to the computer).

Looks to be getting ~18 around town?

Not too too bad (but not the 35 I got in my BMW :( )
  • chidofuchidofu Member Posts: 21
    Do you have the v8 and 4wd? If so, how can we be getting such different gas mileage? Did it start at that or gradually get better over time?

intmed - the cd player is behind the nav system, but it is a single cd player only.
    i will use the manual method to calculate next time and report in on what it shows.

thanks.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Sometimes I wonder what motivates these people to write these articles. On the minor points; example rear power window can be lower from the key fob and the key itself can also be used to lower or raise the window (as in the previous 4runners) She complained about running boards; why didn't they get one with running boards to test. Power points are on the center console and in the center console 115v, who would want to smoke inside one of these babies? The MSRP of a 2002 Runner 2wd is about 200.00 more than a comparably equipped 2003 with the V8. I have two sitting side by side, the 03 is $31,106.00 and the 02 is $31,226.00 granted there are rebates on the 02's AND the price was dropped $1000.00 for the SR5's and $1500.00 for the Limiteds back in 2001 (I believe) so technically the 03 is more bang for the buck!
    : )
    Mackabee
    Its a LTD w/ V8 and the fulltime 4wd system.

Only had it for a week so no gradual improvement.

21 was highway driving with very little traffic, cruise set between 70-80, no A/C most of the ride, me, my dog, and some luggage. Running premium gas for right now.

Worse gas milage must be the weight of the nav system :) Really though, like Cliffy said the best way to calc is the old fashion way.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I can't agree with you on the Rubicon, the G500 if it was in the competition would beat the Rubicon.

It is not much bigger than a Jeep, just about the same size. It is much more heavy duty as far as the thickness and stength of its underpinnings.

Also, it has front, center, and rear lockers, as well as stability control and traction control. It also has a nice Mercedes leather, heated seat interior. Of course its 72k.

It will be interesting to see how Four Wheeler rates the 4Runners 4x4 capibilities against the H2 and Rubicon
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    won't be in the running this year, as it's not a new model. Wasn't it a contender last year?

Since Four Wheeler only really cares about 4WD ability in their contest, the vehicle with the most off-road ability will win. Comfort and on-road livability are way down near the bottom on their list of priorities.

Bob
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The response I received from them was exactly the same.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I believe they're are 2 options for this.

1) 6-disc indash changer w/ 10 speakers

2) 6-disc changer in rear w/ 10 speakers. Not sure if this one
    is the default with the NAV.
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    I am trying to decide b/t an Explorer with a V8 and an 03 4Runner (towing considerations push me to the V8). I would love to get a 4runner but the Explorer is a pretty nice vehicle for the price and the base model actually looks good. The walkaway price for the Explorer I want would be $30k or less (excl sales tax). The price disadvantage the 4runner has going in is that I will move to the Limited to avoid the nasty armor on the SR5 (what a shame). The inventories of dealers in the SE appear to have MSRPs starting at $36k (seems like they have all have the $900 moonroof). So what are people paying for their 2003 4runners? Hard to believe this vehicle holds list price for very long.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Ditto.

Wow - did you notice how well-written and succinct these "form" E-mails from Toyota are? Their marketing department writes better responsive pleadings than most lawyers. In any event, it's almost a bit overdone and more than you would expect in order to make their case. My guess: they must be on notice already and bracing for what they fear may be a cladding revolt. In any event, these statements seem to tip their hand . . . I doubt you would have received the same level of detail if we had complained, say, about the lack of passenger vanity mirror, etc.
  • triplenet1triplenet1 Member Posts: 4
    Any word on getting rid of the GM inspired cladding? I saw a '03 Sport in black and it is so ugly! I am looking for a replacement for my '97 with 181,000 miles, but the cladding makes my current 4Runner look good. Did Toyota hire the fired Aztec, Avalance plastic gurus?
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I have talked to a couple of Sales Managers here in the Seattle area and the Limiteds that they are receiving are going for MSRP +/- $500. I am contemplating purchasing a black Limited,but, I am going to be patient and wait for the inventory to stock up here. Very few Limiteds came in up here and most all sold in the first day or two:(

My belief is that you get what you pay for? You will always find that the Explorers are less expensive,but, in the long run, please research which seems to hold its value and lasts longer? Don't get me wrong, I like Ford (we have had a bronco and three p/u's),but, their is a quality difference and you get what you pay for. To sum it up, you will not get a 4-Runner Limited in or near the same $$ as an Explorer...Yesterday, tomorrow, or in the future!
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    It sounds like some no hassle dealers might be below sticker as a operating policy though -- even on 03s. I am just trying to find out if there are any in the SouthEast. Going to NC or another state for $3k off a vehicle is a no brainer. Has anyone found this type of pricing?
    I paid 2300 under MSRP for a 03 LTD . I live in NC but bought in So. VA as the dealers here are charging MSRP + $699 Toyogaurd ( 1 oil change ).

Worth the hour drive!
    Well, this AM, i just put on my rear axle breather tube! From the factory, the 4Runner (3rd gen) has breather tubes for the front differential and transfer case, but not on rear axle. This means that the 4runner can tread thru about 16-18" of water before the rear axle becomes submerged. The rear axle has a one-way valve that prevents water from coming in, but allows for hot air in axle to escape. This is good. However, mud or dirt can hinder the valve and allow water to come in (in theory).

So, this AM, i put in a 3/8" fuel line tube connecting the axle hole to all the way up the rear taillight housing...a full 38" from the ground! The front diff and transfer case breather tubes extend to about 27" off the ground...thus, these two are the limiting factor.

So, basically, my 4runner can ford 27" of water!!

Oh yeah, finally able to get a more accurate measurement of my ground clearance (stock tire size)...it is 10.1". Front skidplate is about 10.4".
    As I said, I paid $600 over MSRP for my truck. I am in the Seattle area and historically I have always seen 4runners selling for sticker or above. My friends who bought 4runners all seemed to pay about sticker. I think in this area there is just so much demand for 4runners they don't discount. I didn't see much chance in getting a brand new model for less than sticker anytime soon. In fact, the dealer wanted $3,000 over sticker but came down pretty quickly from that.
    you pay $3,000 less than me for your truck and you get 5 mpg better than me on the road.
    Just so you don't think I am normally the type to get fleeced on a car I feel like I need to explain that I couldn't shop or wait until inventories built up, I had nothing to drive and needed a car right away. Who knew when the next limited would come in or if other dealers even had them yet.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Did you buy your Limited in Burien, WA and is it black? There were so few Limited delivered up here...I trie dto talk with Bob Bridge Toyota and Michaels, neither talked less than sticker:(
    No I bought it up on Lakecity Way in Seattle at Allstar Toyota (used to be Tenney Toyota). They are the first Toyota dealership in the entire country. It is midnight blue. It arrived Friday and I bought it Sunday. It was the only limited they had. I haven't seen any others arrive on their lot since then.
    Looking at your location it occurs to me that some of the mileage difference might be due to all of the hills and really bad traffic conditions out here in Seattle. NC is presumably flatter and much less traffic. Perhaps that accounts for most of the difference.

Have you noticed a high rev sound (someone mentioned it might be the fan) when you are stopped with the car in drive and the brake on?

Did you get the adjustable air suspension for the rear of the truck? That and the 6 CD changer are the two options I don't have.

Have you noticed in the manual an extensive section devoted to a DVD player that looks like it can be mounted above the glove compartment? It looks like it can play DVDs on the nav system screen? It is apparently not for a DVD screen for the rear seats because it says that the video is disabled if the car is in motion. I wonder when that will be available.

Finally, have you seen anything on accessories or attachments for the 4runner? I am particularly interested in all weather mats and a ski rack attachment for the roof rack.

chidofu
    My >21 mile drive was mostly rolling hills no traffic, Raleigh -> upstate SC (my 'runners first tailgating weekend). I do have the in dash 6 disc but no suspension upgrades.

I have not noticed any noises while stopped. Only thing I have noticed is a small click feeling from the brake pedal occasionally. May get it checked out if it continues. Also, Toyota put the wrong connector for the top position of the 2 level cargo shelf (one side is okay, the other side is a hook instead of the slot for the shelf lock).

I haven't seen any accessories. I contacted Thule and they told me another month or so for roof racks. You can get a Saris hitch rack that will do skiis as well as bikes.

I am also looking for all weather mats but the dealer said not yet. I had thick rubber mats for my LR Disco, hope I can find something similar soon.

I'm an engineer, I don't believe in reading manuals :)

BTW: For those considering an 03, I am really happy I went 4runner over my 2nd choice, a disco.
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    Have you been reading previous posts here? Go back to October 10th and read from there on. Maybe that'll answer your question...
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    I tow a 4,000# trailer and I'm looking forward to getting the '03 Limited that's on order. It'll have about 50% more torque than the '98 Limited I've been towing with.

I test drove an '03 Explorer before ordering the 4Runner, and was underwhelmed. The IRS was, indeed, nice, but the vehicle was substantially noisier than the '03 4Runner I test drove and the quality of the interior was several cuts below the 'Runner's (a common thing with vehicles from the 'big three' automakers). I also note that the Explorer's optional V8 makes only 282 lb/ft of torque @4,000 rpm compared to the 'Runner's 320 lb/ft @ 3400. Not hard to tell which'll be the better tow vehicle.

The '03 Limited I ordered had everything but the nav system, and the MSRP with shipping was $41,016. The dealer, Metro Toyota of Kalamazoo, MI, discounted it to $38,815, and also made a very attractive trade-in offer on our present 'Runner. I'm pleased!

-Karl
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    I know Toyota has a great rep for reliability, but I'm always a bit leary of a brand new drive train. Does anyone know if the new 4.0 is related (longer stroke/wider bore etc..)to any other Toyota powerplant, or is it truly brand new? I think I'd proabably be happier with the V6 vs the V8, though I was impressed with the V8 when I drove it. I don't have a huge towing need, just occasional light trailer, but I don't want to be the proverbial guinea pig, ya know? Also I'm a bit disappointed that the fulltime 4wd system is only offered on the V-8. Any thoughts about why Toyota chose these drivetrain combos? Anyone think the V-6 might be offered with the fulltime in later model years? Thanks.
    The V6 is indeed all-new. I THINK it will be used in future cars/SUVs. Maybe the Lexus RX will have a similar engine design (but smaller displacement). Same goes for the ES or Camry.

I am not sure why you would want Full-time over the multi-mode 4wd system?? The multi-mode provides FULL-TIME if you want it too!
    Ok perhaps I was confused/misinformed. My understanding was the the only way to have the advantage of fulltime awd in the '03, regardless of how ideal or adverse the surface was to opt for the fulltime. If the multimode can in fact be driven in an awd configuration on pavement at all times then my concern was for naught.
    Your concern is for naught! :) The multimode is pretty darn cool! I have it on my '02 4Runner. I run 2wd on dry land/weather to save fuel. I switch to 4wd whenever there is a chance i might need it (rain, weather changes, or impending doom!, etc.). Some people run 4wd all the time to get even tire wear (less need to rotate them). In my opinion, VSC is always on anyway to save my butt if i run into trouble on dry land.
    Intmed is correct. You can leave the Multi-Mode in 4WD at all times if you wish. If I owned one, that would be how I would leave it.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I took a test drive in an 03 4runner today. This runner has the best ride of any past runners. I have owned a 1991, and currently own a 1994 and 2001 4runner. I liked the acceleration, and the smoothness of the gear shifts. If I had not paid attention to the tach, I probably would not have known the tranny was shifting. It has a very solid feel, especially rounding corners. I know that some of the comments on the interior/exterior are subjective, but I liked the dials/buttons. I liked the way Toyota squared off the circles(or rounded off the squares) in the buttons, speedometer, tachometer, etc. The cladding on the limited is not too hard to swallow, but on the SR5, it is a different story. I did get in the back and saw waht everyone was talking about with the feet under the front seats. Most times, there are children in the back seat of my 4runners, so this would not be a problem.
    All in all, I liked the feel/quality, and am still considering it as a viable replacement for my 1994.
    I got an average of 23 mpg (according to computer) driving to work today on a flat highway with a little bit of city traffic at the beginning and end of the trip.

beercoll1 is right about the transmission. you can't even feel it changing gears it is so smooth. you should take the 5-speed transmission into account when deciding between the v6 and v8.

chidofu
    not only is the V6 brand new, my understanding is that it is the first aluminum engine toyota has ever built.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good mpg for any SUV. Maybe you can double-check the computer next tank by figuring the mpg manually? Not that computers ever lie .

Steve, Host
    Thanks for setting me straight, but now I'm wondering what the difference is b/t the fulltime and multimode? Does the multimode just give you the option of 2wd if you want it? Seems redundant (more expensive) to offer 2 systems that pretty much have the same capabilities. In the long run I suppose it doesn't matter. My concern was having the advantage of AWD all the time. Now I just need to see if this new V6 will live up to the Toyota name.
    Multimode does offer 2wd mode. It also offers FULL-time mode. Quite frankly, i don't know why Toyota offers both types of 4wd systems.

Also, there are TWO transfer cases. The 4Runner, Sequoia, & Tundra share the same transfer case (2.56 torque multiplication). The one on the 4Runner has Torsen...the other two does not. The Land Cruiser and LX470 has a different transfer case (2.49 torque multiplication), which does not have Torsen. Pretty interesting and confusing, huh!
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Jim Barkley Toyota of North Carolina just got in 2 new 4Ruuners. Their 4X4 Sport Model is $3,814 off and their 4X4 Limited is $2,885 off. They also have a 2002 SR5 for $3,485. Go figure.

I have not seen any ads yet in the Atlanta, Georgia papers. I think it is a good sign for the customers to see some discounts on the new model.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Toyota builds lots of all-aluminum engines? This is just the first all-aluminum TRUCK engine they have developed. It might also be the biggest - is the LS's engine all-aluminum?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

It may be the biggest V6 engine now. The old Land Cruiser had a 4.5 L 6-cylinder engine.
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    After contacting numerous dealers within a days drive I finally found one with an '03 Limited 4x4 with the color and options I wanted (or so I thought) for a price I would accept ($1749 off MSRP). We decided to go for it and got financing today (4.89%). Planned to go pick up our new Runner Tuesday.

However, after checking the "Build Your Own" section on the Toyota site just now, it appears that what the dealer really has is a Limited with the X-REAS suspension. I specified that we wanted the "Rear Height Control Air Suspension" (which includes X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension). The rear height control suspension is one of the primary reasons I want the Runner--otherwise I'd just as soon keep my Highlander. I have sent an email to the dealer to clarify, but he is closed until Monday. It appears from the website that the rear height control suspension may not even be available yet.

Anyone know if the rear height control suspension is available now, and if not when it might be?
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Family Car (www.familycar.com) has a good section called "The New Car Photo Gallery". Anyway, they now have some nice 2003 4Runner pictures, including a picture of the V6. I feel they always have a nice selection of pictures.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Toyota4Runner/Photos2.htm

This is already available. We have one in stock and I know many other dealers have them as well.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    The X-Reas (cross-relative absorber system)option actually includes the rear-suspension lift adjustment as a package option for the LTDs, from my understanding and experience from a similar LTD model.
    Please let me know if otherwise.

PS. Good deal on the MSRP (-1750). which dealership?
    Actually, you have it backwards. You can get the X-REAS by itself as a stand alone option. When you get the air suspension, you also get the X-REAS.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    Gotcha, Thanks.

Yunno, too bad adjustable rear suspension isn't available on V6 huh? (LTD V8 option only)
    I wish they put it on the Sport and SR5 models. Its a great feature for towing.