Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• dawgpakdawgpak Member Posts: 42
    Here's a pic of (my future) titanium limited w/ ~3" lift and 110% wheel/tire enlargement (via photoshop)... this would corrolate to 18+" rims and 300x tires!

http://www.dawgpak.com/photos/4runnerlg.jpg

• dhtwaldendhtwalden Member Posts: 3
    As I am selling my car, a 1996 Grand Marquis LS, my wife and I are enjoying looking for a new vehicle. Unfortunately, the dealers will not get even close to what they should on trade-in.

We have focused on the new 4runner and it is at the top of our list. I have some questions if any of you would mind taking the time to give your opinion.

1: Any other SUV’s that we should be looking at?

We tend to like the cladding that there has been much discussion about. Our pick is the Galactic Grey Sport, with the black running a close second.

2: Is all this concern about cladding going to impact our trade-in/resale value in 3-4 years?

3: Is the Sport worth the extra?

4: How about buying the limited to get away from the cladding? worth it?

4: We live in SW MO. Is it worth extra to trade with the local dealer? Or will buying it 4 hours away cause difficulties if we encounter problems?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

dhtwalden
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    1. I'd also take a drive in either an Acura MDX or a Honda Pilot, very high-quality non-truck-based SUVs which have taken the market by storm. The Pilot is Honda's version of the MDX, slightly de-contented but a bunch less expensive.

2. Will the cladding degrade resale value? Who knows??? Resale value typically reflects the overall quality and durability of a vehicle, and Toyotas usually do very well.

3. Sport worth the extra? Yes, if you value the improved handling the 17" tires, X-REAS suspension system and bigger brakes give you, as well as the cosmetic enhancement of the hood scoop. No, if this stuff doesn't make your clock tick.

4.Buy the Limited for its color-keyed cladding? I'm prejudiced on this issue, as we have an '03 Limited on order and I don't care at all for the contrasting cladding on the SR5 and Sport. Don't forget, the Limited package includes lots of nice stuff you don't get on the lesser models, such as leather, dual-zone auto climate control, heated seats, fog lamps, 115V. power outlet, etc., etc.

5. We live in Lansing, MI. I've bought my last three Toyotas in cities about an hour's drive away and never regretted it: The deals have been much better and the dealers' integrity has been far superior to my home dealer's. OTOH, 4 hours is a lot farther away and the current 4Runner is ALL new. Toyota seems to do as good a job as anyone of getting things right straight out of the gate, but there's inherently a greater liklihood of problems with new stuff. That said, our new 4Runner (which replaces a '98 Limited) is coming from an out-of-town dealer again. This shows you the trust I have in Toyota!

Good luck. Post back and let us know what you decide.

-Karl
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    1.) Should I look at other SUV's? Yes, I would look at as many as I could. Since you have a Mercury, you may want to look at the winner of Edmunds 2002 Mid-size SUV Comparison, the Ford Explorer. I personally like the second choice, the Nissan Pathfinder. You may also want to look at some car based SUV's, like the Honda Pilot or even the Toyota Highlander.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/53479/article.html

2. Will the cladding affect re-sale value? Maybe? I know Chevy is now planning on offering the Avalanche without cladding. Of course you like the cladding, and like you I think it does look better in the darker colors. Galactic Grey is a good choice with cladding. If you keep your SUV as long as your Mercury the biggest part of re-sale value would be how reliable and how well it holds up. Something Toyota is very good at.

3. Is the Sport worth the extra money. The Sport has a lot of stuff the basic SR5 does not. If you don't mind the cladding I think it is worth the extra money. Of course the basic model usually has better re-sale value over what you originally paid. Still considering that I would go with the Sport, if you like the looks.

4. Should I go with the Limited to get away from the cladding. No, if you like the cladding go for the Sport or a SR5. As stated before if you keep it for a long time, the cladding will not be a big issue.

4 1/2. (Hey, you had two four questions.) Should I drive 8 hours to save money or buy from a local dealer? A local dealer is nice. They can offer some nice perks. A long trip to save money on a 35,000 SUV may not be the way to go. Of course I can change my mind. I think going over 750 bucks in difference or more may change my mind. It is a long trip, still if you buy else where, the local dealer should be able to service it just fine.

• jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, I read the entire USA Today article today and with the exception of a few remarks about the exterior appearance of the 2003, the rest of the article "glowed in the dark" about how great this new version of the 4Runner drove, rode, and had the real deal in interior comforts...not to mention the first class V-8 engine everyone has been ranting for all these years. Give me a break. The truck is a winner, period. JB
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Then wait until next year to make a move. It will the same quality, comfort etc. with the cosmetic issues fixed...
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    after reading your posts i am convinced that you qualify as toyota wannabe's. So sad can't buy the car you want because can't spend a couple more bucks.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Say want you want.

Nobody can say anything wrong about managing money smartly.

About being a 4Runner wannabee... I was driving a 99 SR5 V6 until a couple weeks ago... It was a great truck but not to the point of being religious about it.

I paid 35k CAD for it in 99 and it would have cost me 45k CAD to get a similar truck (Sports) in 2002. Ok, a 25%+ increase over 3 years .... Not a good thing but I would have been ok with if the 2003 would not have been so ugly. That got me shopping.

I think it is a wise move to shop around when you are about to spend that kind of money. And yes, there is a world out there....
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    yeap you are right, there is a world out there.... no hard feelings.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jamesbass1, glad you enjoyed the link :-)

Steve, Host
  • mreilly2mreilly2 Member Posts: 6
    Just as it's too early to call the new 4runner a loser, so too is it early to call it a winner. Only time, sales, and absorption into Toyota's targeted demographic will determine that. Also, Steve posted the link for me in reference to my earlier short quote from USA Today, so don't attack him.

Being the present owner of a 2000 SR5 (which, BTW, I am completely happy with for the time being) and a loyal Toyota fan, I had completely assumed and expected the new 4runner would be mechanically and technically superior to any other SUV out there. In that respect, I was not disappointed. I like the interior, the engines, and all the techno wizardry that went into this newly re-engineered vehicle. However the exterior design (IMO) leaves me confused, wanting, and is a real deal killer for me. Perhaps some people can overlook the negatives of the exterior and elevate the technical attributes to rationalize a purchase, but I cannot at 40K. I'd rather spend 50K on something that I am 100% satisfied with rather than 40K on something I am only 60-70% happy with. I tend to take a very holistic approach to my vehicle purchasing, looking at the entire package (including design) and not just the positive technical characteristics of the vehicle. If it does not come together as such, then I don't buy.

Someone earlier posted a reference to a Wall Street Journal review that is not as harsh on the appearance of the new 4runner, but that gives a mediocre summary at best. Perhaps you should take a look at it as well in forming your opinion. IMO, I think the jury is still out.
    does anyone have a photo of the 2003 Galactic Grey Sport?

how about a link to the Wall Street Journal article?

Do you have to get a limited to get mirrors on the sun visors?

Is it me, or can you put your feet under the front seats (if you are a rear seat passenger) on the SR5 and SE, but not the limited?

i had one salesman tell me that the premium stereo with headphones allows the rear seat passengers to listen to a CD on headphones while the front seat folks listen to the radio. correct info?

thanks for the help.
    Here's the article, but you can't get there unless you are a subscriber:

Toyota Softens Up 4Runner, Risking Losing Serious Fans

"Toyota says the changes aren't so important to the 4Runner's image -- or its target audience: single men who actually drive off-road (or want you to think they do)."

Maybe it'll get reprinted elsewhere in the next week or so.

Steve, Host

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Yes, with the headphones, the front and back passengers can use different stereo functions. The front can have the tuner while the back uses the CD player. They can't listen to different radio stations though.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I found out something interesting last night. While some regions and dealers are not moving the new ones quickly, others are. My girl friend is an F&I manager at a dealership in Richmond. They have sold every one they received and can't get them in quickly enough. Discounts are the exception but do happen (never more than $500 off MSRP though). It isn't as grim as some have reported.
    2003 4Runner now on MSN Carpoint

http://autos.msn.com/homepage/launchpage.aspx?idModel=10653&Make=Toyota&Type=NML

no reviews available yet... but 360-degree exterior and interior views are there. Blue w/ cladding in Gallery doesn't look too bad. Agree w/ others that cladding is ugly, but not too bad on darker colors. I'm still trying to like the new look (even the limited), I love everything else.

Here is a link to a dealership's inventory. It does have one galactic gray Sport complete with a picture. It is only 2WD, but it is a picture of the color. (After you get on the link, select 4Runner then click on "Search Inventory". The galactic Sport is 3/4 the way down. You may want to look at other pictures of the lighter colors with the cladding. The galactic color look better IMO.)

http://www.atlantatoyota.com/frameset4.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_vehicle_search

VW Tour-egg looks like it might be worth waiting for before making a decision to buy 4Runner??

Autoweek featured Tourareg on Cover this week:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?cat_code=coverstory&loc_code=index&content_code=03697393

• meemo87meemo87 Member Posts: 17
    I was offered $1500 off MSRP on a Black Limited here in Indiana. I declined. This was the first dealer I tried to get an offer from, so I know I can do better.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    How is the 4Runner selling down your way?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    In the Western New York area where I work, sales have been a bit slow initially, but picking up a bit. Part of this I think is because we don't have the huge advertising budget larger metro areas have to do a good product launch. Discounting has been the norm, although it isn't alot. Hoping to see if Toyota makes some minor tweaks when they introduce the V6 version in December or January.
  • kim47kim47 Member Posts: 9
    Like the majority of posters on this forum I was (and still am) disappointed with the exterior of the new 4Runner. But I was stuck because I needed a new car (basically, I had just been hanging on long enough for the 4Runner introduction) and I couldn't wait another month or two. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo was a lot of fun and great off road but the last couple of years have been rather expensive in the repair department. (I didn't do any rock crawling or trails like the Rubicon; mostly 4WD roads that I wouldn't be comfortable tackling in a car-based SUV). So, it came down to choosing function over form. The new 4Runner has just about everything I could want, short of a sweet look.

After a week of negotiating with dealers I picked up my new Sport edition this weekend. Couldn't find a Galactic Gray anywhere so I settled on the Titanium Metallic. And while I still think the exterior is unattractive, this whole situation does have a bright side! Had the new 4Runner been what I had hoped for (either an untouched or only subtly revamped 3rd gen exterior) I suspect it would be such a hot seller I never would've been able to pick one up for under MSRP. (I ended up getting mine for $2600 under MSRP.)

So, after owning it for a about a day and a half I can honestly say I'm thrilled with my decision. Unbelievable driving experience. True, any new car will be a treat and it's possible that fact alone may color my perception. But I've driven my mom's '98 4Runner and the ride in the 2003 is so improved it's almost hard to believe. I got the Sport specifically for the X-REAS suspension. I live in the Bay Area so I headed over to Highway 1 yesterday just to test it out on the curves. What a fun drive. Cornering was terrific; the lack of body roll was awfully impressive. The V8 was smooth and quiet and downshifting with the 5-speed automatic was equally nice.

(While I'm still sensitive about the looks I'm willing to share a few quick pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/54267754SlNwNX ) And yes, I plan on taking this puppy off-road. Might as well put that cladding to good use!

Anyway, I thought it only fair that I post something in the forum after lurking here for almost a year. Thanks to everyone who has so kindly shared their information.

You can't see the outside of your car unless you are driving by a bunch of plate glass windows, so enjoy the cockpit -- that's where you spend most of your time anyway. And congrats on the new ride!

Steve, Host
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I'm not sure what so many of the posters here are complaining about. The only thing I can see that is less that appealing is the silver roof rack and running boards. Even the cladding that has everybody so worked up isn't bad. Look at the SR5 Sequoia when it came out. The fender extentions were a shade different than the body color. Now that was ugly. At least on the 4Runner the cladding is the same color on all the different paint colors. I'd take one of these in a heartbeat if I could find a deal that my wife could live with.
    In my case, I had always loved the styling of the 4Runner, so that's why this new design was a disappointment to me. BUT, as Steve wisely pointed out, you can't see the exterior when you're busy having a blast actually driving the 4Runner. Looks can be a highly subjective topic so it's not surprising some some people hate the new styling and some people, ah, are okay with it.

However, I bought a 4Runner Sport for the driving experience and the Toyota reliability; I don't know what other car (in my price range, that is!) would have met my needs as well as this one. Since I actually go off-road on occasion I have different considerations than a lot of other SUV buyers out there.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Nice looking rig...it' s starting to grow on me...problem up here in the NW, no one that I have found is dealing on the Limiteds period. I am holding out for a black one with the rear air suspension and a dealer who is willing to negotiate if the in-stock vehicles are growing grass under the tires:)
    Thanks for your pics Kim! Hwy 1 sure makes that cladding look better :-). Although I wish the looks made a better impression on me, I too will be making the plunge soon. Your comments about the 4Runner's handling on HWY1 certainly encourage me to make this decision.

I currently have 2 vehicles to sell to raise cash for my new 4Runner - a 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder and a 2001 Ford F150 4wd Supercrew. I love the Spyder and like the truck, but want to consolidate to a single vehicle - a truck-like vehicle that handles well (e.g. on Hwy 1) enough to make parting w/ my Spyder less painful. My Ford truck is only my 2nd American car purchase ever. I've had 9 Toyotas - 3 pickups ('77, '84, '01), 2 MR2's ('88, '01), 2 Tercels ('81, '83), 1 Van ('99), 1 Corona ('72). Needless to say, I love Toyota dependability. I've never had trouble with any of them.

To be honest, every time I buy a Toyota, I wish they looked better, but I buy them anyway. Even my Spyder's looks take a lot of getting used to -but it's so fun to drive.

So, trading my silver mr2 for a silver 4 runner.

MR2 pic:

http://www.dawgpak.com/photos/spyderlg.jpg

New 4Runner?:

http://www.dawgpak.com/photos/4runnerlg.jpg

• beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I love the 3' lift with the wheels....Soooo sharp....
  • aufan1aufan1 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone have a pinpoint of the V6 release date yet? What about prices for the V6? Thanks.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    If the V8 runs on regular fuel, why do they recommend premium fuel for it? Just curious.
    There are a few reasons for them recomending premium fuel. First of all, there are quite a few engines that you DO NOT want to use premium fuel. The higher octane burns hotter, which can cause premature detonation and pinging. Also with the premature detonation and higher temps, if the engine cannot regulate itself (knock control sensors) you can do a pretty decent amount of damage to the engine.

But the greater reason why, in my opinion anyway, is that it allows them to show the actual potential of the engine. Both on documented HP and Torque ratings as well as performance numbers.
    I was told by a salesman that the premium fuel recommendation is on for the V6. The V8 uses regular. Anyone else heard that?
    Both engines may be run on 87 octane, but both recomend using premium gas.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    any confirmed dates on that?
    There are still no confirmed dates for the introduction of the V6 as of yet, but we don't have the production schedulle for December yet. Best guess from what I have heard is late December to early January. I'll keep you informed.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Toyota web site said November , guess they need to update a little.

Been to 4 dallas dealers, all say regular fuel.

DL
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    I have found your comments over last month very helpful in selecting my new 03 runner. Like most of you folks the cladding was a disappointment. However, I will say that the more runners I see [about 50 so far] the clading is looking better. I have decided on the Titanium Sport because I believe the clading is more complimentary. I will be waiting for the V6 before I buy. I have several out of the 10 dealers in Portland area that will deal between $500 and$1,000 over invoice.. This will be my third runner and have paid about the same discount on each. I still am not sure between V6 and V8. Maybe you could give your arguments for either???? A note of interest:: one Portland dealer has painted the cladding including bumpers on white SR5 $1700 add on. Frankly, I did not like the look. Would have been better I think to paint only the cladding. Keep up the good comments.
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    As an owner of all previous generations of the 4-Runner, I am very disappointed with the exterior styling of the 4th
    generation of the vehicle. I agree with the majority of the previous postings as to the revolting appearance of the
    grey plastic cladding on the SR5. The available color pallet here in Canada is limited to a number of shades of
    grey (silver), a gold, black, Pacific blue, Impulse Red and Imperial Jade (green). If you choose the Ltd, you can
    forget about red and green. I am not crazy about the look of the front end and grill or the squared off fender flares.
    As far as getting a good bang for the buck, I believe that if you get past the quirky exterior, the high content of this
    4th generation is very good value. The MSRP for the 2002 Ltd here in Canada was $50,830 CDN all inclusive,
    The MSRP for the 2003 Ltd. V6 is $49,810 all inclusive and the 2003 Ltd. V8 is $51,935 all inclusive. For the
    added features and power, these prices represent a real decrease in price.
    At some point in the next 3 years, I may be interested in replace my 1996 Ltd, but I will wait to see what will happen
    to the cladding and flares. Based on my experience with my 2002 Sequoia, it never pays to be in a rush when buying
    a new vehicle, the content always increases as the model years of that generation tick bye.

PS the base SR5 V6 Starts at $44,870 CDN or $28,270 US
    Family Car came out with a 4Runner road test. It talked a little about "Cargo Area Backup Mirrors" and "Illuminated Cup Holders". Neat.

http://familycar.com/RoadTests/Toyota4Runner/Index.htm

Thought I'd put together a page with all the links I'm aware of regarding the 2003 4Runner reviews, road tests, general information, etc.

Please let me know if I'm missing any...

http://www.dawgpak.com/4Runner/

"dawgpak" very good page of reviews. I remember Car and Driver or Road and Track having a review, but now I can't find it. Anyway here is a review from the TV program MotorWeek:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2203.shtml

Once again good web page, keep up the good work. By the way I also like the 4Runner pictures by "kim47" of his 4Runner by the beautiful ocean and redwood trees. The wonderful backgrounds help make the 4Runner look better.

• aufan1aufan1 Member Posts: 21
    Wow, I was expecting a larger difference in the two engines. I had heard $500-$1000 or more... a bit suprising. (US $)

How did you get the numbers?
    dawgpak - let me second the "good job" comment on your new 4Runner page. I also liked your "new" 4Runner mockup. Wish it was that easy to make changes to the real thing :-)

peter78 - yup, I figured out that if I park my 4Runner in front of gorgeous locations then I don't really mind the cladding at all :-) And with that newfound knowledge I'm going to grab the camera again and head up to the Sierra Nevada this weekend to add to my 4Runner picture collection. As a bonus, I'll be able to try out my Sport in stormy weather.

(FYI, since it's often impossible to tell from screen names, I'm female. Maybe that explains why I like all the other nice touches beyond the improved engine/suspension: the auxiliary storage boxes, adjustable cupholders, climate control, nice moonroof, adjustable seat belts, etc.)
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    Toyota Canada website: www.toyota.ca Go to "Price Your Toyota" That will give you all of your numbers.
    Thanks peter78 for the additional reviews. I found the reviews you mentioned and added them to my links page.

Road and Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/firstdrives/articledisplay.asp?articleid=369

Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/november/0211_roadtest_4runner.xml

And Ms. Kim, I added a link to your pictures too. Can't wait to see your Sierra shots. Looks like rain tomorrow and maybe through the weekend! Boy, we need it. I'm down near San Luis Obispo.

Since you're in the area, maybe you can get a shot of the 4Runner in the men's room at the Madonna Inn - the copper in there will surely take people's eyes off the cladding!

Steve, Host
    If Kim ever makes it all the way down hwy 1 to SLO, we'll see if we can her 4runner into that men's bathroom.

Maybe we should start a new discussion category for "50 ways to divert your attention from the 4Runner cladding". I think the best idea so far is to just get inside and enjoy the drive :-).
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    For anyone new on this board, you can refer back to posts and discussions with other on the pros/cons of the TRD supercharger. After much debate and helpful feedback from others, I decided the pros outweighed the cons and decided to give it a try with the TRD trans oil cooler and boost gauge, with no other mods. Unfortunately, dealers' parts dept's would not pass on their true costs to the new car sales dept's and it was a no-go for the price they wanted. Reason I'm posting is that I just received an e-mail with a great price on the 'charger - lowest I saw on the net. I am convinced that with my limited mechanic skills from my high school days tearing apart the old Ford Torino, I could have done myself. There are installation manuals available online. You get a one-year warranty unless you convince a dealer to install at which point you get the full Toyota factory warranty. So, for interested 3rd gen owners, this may help if you want the HP of a 4th Gen [again, there are issues to consider that were discussed fully in these prior E-mails with several others]. The E-mail:

Michael,
    TRD has reduced the price on the 3.4 superchargers to $1932.50 delivered
    Email if you have any questions.
    Thank you

[name omitted]
    [dealer omitted]
    Internet Dept.
    Houston, Texas 77373
    www.eToyotas.com
    Another Board has prices of Superchargers for $1700 and one other price was slightly more. Heh, that is $200 savings. Some people are buying these DEALS, personally I will stay away.

http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=014099

And for people that need even more power, you can have a Supercharger for the new V8 4Runner for the bargain price of $4,800, plus installation. Go for it.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?s=692a8fcde799e1061798befaa4b12d26&threadid=3110

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    There was a good article on the new Lexus GX470 in December's Car and Driver. Notes of interest for 2003 4Runner enthusiasts are that the GX470 is three inches higher than the 2003 4Runner. This was added to the design supposedly to allow for enough headroom for the third row seats.
    Also, to provide 'cathedralesque headroom is part of the Lexus luxury.' Please pass the barf bag.

One last note was that the GX470 front seats are mounted higher than he 4Runner to 'provide a commanding view of the world around...the 4Runner is sportier he (the designer) says, so its driver should sit low.'

Nice website dawgpak.