Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I was standing in front of a V-8 SR5 2WD tonight, and the base price was $28,0xx. So I can't see how the base SR5 V-6 could be more money. Something wrong there. Maybe it is a higher price in Canada?

BTW, the Pacific Blue looks great, and if you go with one of the two gray colors or the black, the cladding really doesn't look too bad. Also, the green is so dark, it kind of blends there too. Check it out in person - don't rely too much on the pictures.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• aufan1aufan1 Member Posts: 21
    Is there anyway to get a limited in cloth...ie: can the dealer switch the seats out to cloth seats. If so, would there likely be a price decrease/increase?

Also, any hope of SR5 coming in body colored cladding like the limited?

Thanks for the help!!!
    Keep emailing Toyota with complaints about cladding... hope for a change... soon!
  • oxcartdriveroxcartdriver Member Posts: 1
    Do the traction control systems and other electronics preclude the ability to add a rear axel locker to the 2003 4Runner ???

Couldn't get a straight answer at the dealer, but are the differentials open diff front and rear ???

The x-fer case lock, does it truly lock the front and rear outputs meaning the slip/torque sensing operates in the open mode ???

Stopped by the dealer at lunch today and the salesperson wasn't the best. Kept telling me about all the great features and skirted around most of my questions.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Also of note, the Lexus 4WD system is controlled by a console-mounted shift lever, that includes a "Neutral" position, unlike the 4Runner.

Interesting about the additional height; every picture I've seen of the GX470, the vehicle seemed much shorter than the 4Runner, even though the wheelbase is the same. The 3" of added height of GX explains that visual discrepancy.

Bob
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    Sorry for the mistake in CDN pricing. The Base SR5 V6 price quoted was not for the "base"
    model but for the SR5 V6 "Sport" model. Here are the Canadian MSRPs including PDI of
    $1260.00 and other excise taxes of $120.00

Base SR5 V6 $40,480 CDN or $25,500 US (at .63 CDN dollar)
    SR5 V6 Sport $44,870 CDN or $28,270 US
    Base SR5 V8 $41,880 CDN or $26,385 US
    SR5 V8 Sport $46,270 CDN or $29,150 US
    Ltd V6 $49,810 CDN or $31,380 US
    Ltd V8 $51,935 CDN or $32,720 US

Hope this clarifies things
  • chetdudechetdude Member Posts: 5
    I have to agree with many of the posts regarding the new 03 styling, particularly the cladding. I could likely get used to the cladding and outside appearance but I think Toyota erred on the interior. That's one ugly interior. The console looks like it was designed to look like a Circuit City boombox and far as I could tell, they've done away with the wood trim on the Limited. I'll keep my 99 4Runner and opt for something more traditional next time I buy.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    trdsctwo,

Such a comparison is good only if the US person wants to come here to buy his Runner here. Car are not priced as per $ ratio but at a price car makers deem fair for the country and its economic situation.

Ex: a 40K Limited in the states would be 60K here, Toyota would not sale many at that price. So they adjusted the price for this market.

Obviously an american resident could come here and buy one at thos rediculous price but he would not have any warranty coverage in the US.
    The figures quoted were for information purposes only. I would never suggest that a US resident could come to
    Canada and save significant amounts of money on their vehicle purchase. I believe that this would be a violation
    of the auto pact or similar trade law and if the vehicle is brand new, the Toyota new car warranty would be void.
    The only way to import a vehicle into the US is that it be "used". I am not certain as to what the exact age or
    mileage requirements are but they certainly cannot be brand new. You are correct about the differences in pricing
    when comparing US and Canadian retails. The stickers charged in each country are more related to relative rates
    of taxation, other competitor's prices, and in general the consumer's "ability to pay".
    Thanks for your comments, and I hope that this clarifies my point of view.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think it's illegal to import a new Canadian car into the US. Just go through the somewhat onerous paperwork hoops. I think most all new Canadian cars meet the same emissions and safety regs of the US. The lack of a factory warranty is a bit of a concern though.

What You Need to Know About Canadian Cars in the U.S.

Steve, Host

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The limited model of the 4-Runner comes with standard leather interior. You could get the seats reappolstered if you wanted, but that would be additonal in cost. The better option may be to get a good set of seat covers if you want cloth on the seats you sit on. As of the current time, there is no way of getting the body colored cladding on a trim level other than the limited unless you bring your new 4-Runner to a body shop and have them paint them.

As to the question about the rear locker being able to be interfaced by the '03 4Runner. I don't honestly know. However, it would be unlikely. The electronics of the TRAC and VSC work together with the Torsen system to limit wheel spin to any one wheel. When you lock the center differential, it does lock the output from the center differential to a fixed 50/50 front and rear. Hope this helps.
  • dan_mdan_m Member Posts: 7
    Toyotaken,
    I disagree with your discription of premium fuel. Premium fuel actually burns slower and has a more controlled predictible burn rate due to the lower number of impurities. It does not necessarily burn any hotter. Premium fuel has less resistance to detonation and can be used in higher compression engines. High compression engines burn hotter not by the fuel they run but because they can generate more power due to the increased compression of the gas/air mixture. Running regular fuel in a high compression engine may cause the fuel to detonate (or explode before the spark plug or engine needs it) which may cause damage to the engine. If you run premium fuel in an engine that does not require it then you are just wasting money.
    As the competing auto manufacturers fight over horsepower they are trying to squeeze more and more power from engines and that is why you see more often that engines require premium fuel.
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    Dan_m, I agree with 99% of what you posted except with respect to impurities.

My understanding is that there isn't any more or less impurities in regular fuel that there is in premium. The sole difference is in octane rating. Fuel with an average hydrocarbon length of 8 carbons is rated "100" on the octane rating scale (hence the name "OCTane"). Of course, its impossible for a refiner to blend a fuel with only one chain length of hydrocarbon; all fuels contain a bell curve distribution of chain lengths, with the calculated average length rated against the octane scale. Hence, the lower the octane rating, the greater the percentage of short chain hydrocarbons on the tail end of the bell curve that preignite in a high compression engine, thus causing the early detonation as described in the post.

In certain cases, in order to achieve a higher octane rating, ethanol is blended into premium fuels. Some brands also put additives into their premium fuels. Other than that, I am not aware of any differences in "purity" or "quality" of the actual fuel in regular vs. premium.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    Well, I never heard the word cladding until now and I see why the word comes up a jiggidy-zillion times in these posts. It's ugly and reminds me of when Nissan changed over to a 'tough' new look in their trucks to make it more macho and sporty. Otherwise, it's a nice looking rig. Maybe Toyota higher-ups read these posts and will evolve out of the cladding in future years. Cliffy, what do you think?
  • brightnessbrightness Member Posts: 40
    I agree that there is little difference in terms of "impurities" between regular and premium. The commodity prices for both grades are only couple cents apart per gallon, so there is little chance that there can be additional refining step involved between regular and premium. The price differentiation at the pump mostly comes from customer differentiation, and the overhead of maintaining a seperate tank for less frequently used fuel (overwhelming majority fuel purchased is regular).

Shorter carbon chains actually have higher octane. Evaporative volatility is not related to pre-ignition volatility; longer chains breaking down under compression is actually what frequently leads to pre-ignition. Diesel fuel has much longer average chain length than gasoline, and diesel engines run as pre-ignition by design. Shorter chains however does lead to higher evaporative volatility, hence most higher octane fuels achieve those high ratings by the introduction of kinked chains (double bonds), and aromatics (rings). Depending on the brand, some premium gas can have as much as 30% or more aromatics instead of the simple HC chain. Whenever double bonds and rings are increased, the H/C ratio drops, so premium fuel typically has less energy content than regular (but if your engine has to retard timing to accept regular, the energy content in the fuel itself matters less than how efficiently your engine can extract it).
  • jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    I am looking at a 1990 4Runner with relatively low mileage (100,000 km or 60,000 miles). It is a v4 std. My question to experienced 4Runner owners (I have never had one and do not know a lot about them) is - is this vehicle worth considering or is it getting too old. It is in extremely good condition and is priced at $10k (cad). Is it likely worth the dollars?
    My 2 cents worth as an owner of all previous generations; spend a few more bucks and buy the 3rd generation (1996-2002) model. It has more power, more rear seat leg room, is quieter and generally a much better vehicle.
    It is also lighter (most models weigh less than 4000 lbs) whereas the 1990 to 1995 models (V6) weighed over 4000.
    I owned my 1995 V6 5-speed for exactly 5 months at which time I traded it in for a 1996 auto. There is no
    comparison!
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. Will look at the '96 models. Not knowing a lot about these vehicles it is great to get some feedback from an experienced owner.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Couple of concerns with the 1990. The 2.4 in-line four makes 116 HP. I am not big on horsepower, but 116 HP is pretty low for such a heavy vechile. Second, 60,000 miles sounds real good if it hasn't been turned back, but that is less than 5,000 miles a year. My Grandfather had a car with super low miles and it had more trouble than a normal car with more miles. Think about it, it is probably sitting around alot with short trips. A SUV with more miles, but not a ton of miles might be better. If you still like it, look for rust and ask for records. Being 13 years old expect a lot of maintenance.

Like in the other post, I think I would look at other options. Of course a 96 would cost a lot more and if it is a V6, their is a concern over the head gaskets, but that of course is another story.

Before you decide to turn it down or even to buy it, I would take a close look and be sure to take it for a nice long test drive.
  • dawgpakdawgpak Member Posts: 42
    If you'd like to see how old we 4Runner enthusists are, check out the poll at:

http://www.dawgpak.com/4Runner/

I test drove a '03 Limited today (2wd, no x-reas). Very smooth ride. Leans a little in hard turns.

Has anyone drove both a 2wd and a 4wd/x-reas 4Runner? Wondering how much of a difference to expect in handling.
    Peter,
    Thanks for the feedback. The vehicle is actually currently owned by a friend of mine. The mileage is for real. Also, the vehicle appears to be in excellent condition - she has taken to the Toyota dealer for all scheduled mtce since new. I just wasn't sure about that particular year vs other years and what, if anything, to watch out for. It is a std transmission which may help with the power a bit. Guess I'd best take it for a long test drive as you suggest.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have a V-6 5 speed, and I would call it slow but adequate. At highway speeds, you tend to lose speed going over mountain passes and the like.

I certainly would not want to have the 4-cyl in this vehicle.

In '96 they went to the 3.4L V-6, and by then they had also figured out they needed to redesign those head gaskets out of a new material, so there should not be those head gasket failures in the '96 and up V-6's.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I have always like the 2nd generation 4Runner. As far as reliability the 4 cylinder has a good reputation. I have heard to expect getting a new clutch at 120,000 miles or so. If it is from a friend, it may be pretty good. You may want to look at this link, it is from a person who owns a 91, best second generation web site I have seen. In his site he talks about the lack of power, especially in the 4.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/

Now about head gaskets, their were actually 2 different set of problems. One was with the 3.0 V6 in the second generation and the second completely different problem was with the 96 3.4 V6. A re-call was done on the 96, so hopefully all have been replaced that needed replacing.

• nhopper1nhopper1 Member Posts: 21
    After road testing a Limited and an SR-5, I agree with many of the aforementioned posts. It's a great driving vehicle. Very different from my current 2000 SR-5 and a lot like the 2001 Sequoia(refined) I traded in after one year on a 2002 Avalon (it was too big for my needs).
    Positives as compares to the 2000 are smoothness, quietness in most situations, roomier esp. in front seat area, much more power, much better stereo with upgrade, easier for my 5'1" wife to get into(esp. because of a lower front seat bolster), tilt and extendable steering column and price compares well to that of the MSRP of my 2000 SR-5(which was 33,000).
    Negatives are cladding on SR-5(BIG negative), flimsier shifter console pieces, etc. on the dash, electonic climate control as compared to simple mechanical 2000 design, electronic rear hatch release (electronics = reliability questions eventually), harder to see out of right rear quarter glass, smelly exhaust after moderate to hard accelleration with rear window open,(my Sequoia did that). At speeds of 60 mph with all windows and roof closed, I did notice a great amount of wind buffeting in the roof area despite the rack's cross bars being positioned well to the back of rails(very bothersom). Also it doesn't seem as "friendly" or "likeable" as the 2000 type. I realize that is a very subjective comment.
    Right now, the cladding is the biggest reason I'm inclined to keep my 2000. I refuse to pay another approx. 5K for a Limited that has things I do not want, and would cost as much as an SR-5 Sequoia. None of my family can stand the cladding no matter what color the main body of the vehicle is, and I as I said I tend to agree. Painting would still leave a rough texture and the notches. (I wonder what the Limited's prepainted arches and door cladding would cost??) Let's hope Toyota does indeed offer Limited style cladding and bumpers on the SR-5 SOON. I will buy when they do.
    You mentioned smelling the exhaust after hard acceleration with the rear window down. I hope that you had at least one other window open. Driving with JUST the rear window down is dangerous as the vacum caused by the vehicle moving through the air will draw the exhaust fumes into the vehicle unless you have another window open to draw air from the front of the vehicle back through the rear hatch window.
  • 20024runner120024runner1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All

Recently traded in my 1996 Camry and bought 2002 SR5 2WD 4Runner, liked it very much , only thing that bug me is the ride gets bumpy on concrete. I was wondering is there any thing which can be done for Bumpy rides ,like installing additional suspension ,don't know much about SUV.

Guru's any ideas..
  • nhopper1nhopper1 Member Posts: 21
    I always had at least one window and/or s/r open. I'm aware of what you correctly warned about(I've been in the auto repair biz for 28 years). The sulphuric(rotten egg)smell was especially apparent at speeds less than 45-50 mph, but also higher if my memory serves me. Driving around town produced the most occurrences, as might be expected. The Sequoia had no rear spoiler and test 2003 4Runner did. It's not a huge problem, but seems strange that such a nice feature as a roll down back window would not be usable under so many circumstances.
    Now if Toyota would just get rid of that gray cladding for SR-5 models....(might be appropriate for the sport model buyers?)
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    I understand Toyota recommends priminum fuel on both new v6 and v8 [89 oct.] Does anyone know which of the two new motors would run best on regular [87 0ct.] ????
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    My 97 4Runner came w/ Michelin LTX M/S. Great tires. Got 74k out of them and would have gone another 10k if pressed. But, the ride wasn't the best on pavement. Replaced with Michelin Cross Terrains. The pavement ride improvement is incredible. After 22k, the tires show little wear.

All you need is ~$550 and you are good to go.

Jack
    rollie3,

If you look back a few posts, you'll see quite a few posts about this topic. However, to answer your question, both will run well on 87 octane, just at a lower level of performance. HP and Torque numbers won't be quite a robust, although for most people, it won't be something that you will notice substantially.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The '03 4 Runner is featured right now in the New Vehicle Spotlight (ad) on the main edmunds.com page. Lots of links to features, etc.

Steve, Host
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Just cruisin' around; got back from a weekend with the Lab and the rain - what a combo. Can I tell everyone to go buy Husky Liners for whatever vehicle they decide on; they definitely "do the trick"!!

BTW, a positive note: before a colleague ventured out for a possible new 4Runner for his wife, he asked me where to start on this board . . . Answer: Post #2162. [Someone should have posted that milestone by now; that is when the first spy shots posted and public reaction to new Runner began.] He read through all the posts to date in a few hours and in the end got one that he does like - silver Limited (no stripes and he's rich!).

Other than some occasional long posts, he said it was very helpful to read the posts and feedback about the new engines, cool interior, ugly cladding, etc. Were it not for the selective prosecution here, I would say Edmunds is the best on the Net! ;>> [a lot of acronyms out there . . .]. C-ya!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I was on vacation last week and returned to discover 67 new posts which I can't take the time to read through. If anybody posted a direct question to me, I apologize for not responding.

BTW, fishing in Miami is a blast this time of year.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    In the Southeast Toyota region, there is an option on the 2003 for 18" Enkei alloy wheels; really nice looking. The standard wheels on the 4Runner range from 16" to 17". Generally, does someone know what kind of effect these larger wheels would have on: on road handling and highway ride? I have to imagine that offroad ride suffers. Thanks for any input.
    I just looked through all of my information about options on the '03 4runner and don't see anything about 18" wheels. Maybe it's an option that is only available in their region or something that is dealer installed. That being said, there are a couple of different qualities that you will get with larger wheels. First, if they are not factory equipment, make sure that the overall diamater of the tires is the same as those on the OEM wheels and tires. If they are, then with a larger wheel, the sidewall should be lower in profile. This will benefit your handling in turns as with a lower profile tire, there is less sidewall to flex, so when turning, there is more direct reaction to your steering wheel inputs. This added responsiveness may come at the expense of ride quality. The shorter sidewall gives less flex in response to surface irregularities as well, so may transmit more of these bumps to the cabin.

Offroad wise, a larger sidewall gives several benefits. First, if you need to lower the pressure in the tires, a higher sidewall gives you the opportunity to have a larger contact patch when going through sand or mud for added traction. It also absorbs quite a bit of the smaller bumps associated with off-roading before the suspension needs to come into play as well. Higher sidewalls also tend to protrude further out, protecting the wheels from damage from the environment as well.

Lastly, lower profile tires tend to have a tread that is more designed for on-road conditions. Higher profile tires for trucks especially, tend to have either an all-terrain, all-season, or mud/snow design for the tread patern.

Hope this helps.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Welcome back. Hope your vacation was a good one. We don't get many good ones nowadays. Too many pets.

Are Edmunds TMV prices reflective of what the 4Runners are going for down your way? Thanks.
    The vacation was great thanks. The goal of catching a sailfish on my own tackle was accomplished but the goal of a tarpon still eludes me.

As to the pricing, I haven't looked at TMV on the Runner. I also can't really comment on "normal" pricing at the moment because it varies greatly at the moment. There are dealers like the one my girlfriend works for who are at MSRP or within $500 of it and there are others that are $2000 off MSRP. There is that much variance within a 2 hour drive here in VA.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    We're just looking right now. Good luck with the tarpon.
  • kevinliangkevinliang Member Posts: 1
    First time long time. Always admiring 4Runners, I finally had a emotion breakdown and bought my black Sport Edition 4Runner ($1,500 off MSRP). The trade-in is a 94 Honda Civic coupe.

Thank you all for the info I got from this board.
    Congrats and welcome to the discussion. You'll love it.
    Here in Western New York, things are similar as for cliffy. Varies greatly from deal to deal and from dealer to dealer. Some places are sticking pretty close to sticker (within $500) and some have discounted as much as $1,500. I think it's still early to tell what the market is going to be like on them so far.
    Hey Kim, are you home from your trip to the Sierra's in your new 4Runner? Love to see pics of you in the snow! The Sierra's got lots of snow last weekend :-) I heard Mammoth even openned.
  • kim47kim47 Member Posts: 9
    The Sierra was great. Didn't get high enough to hit snow since I ended up going to Yosemite Valley (which is only at 4,000'). I had hoped to hit Tioga Pass and cross the Sierra but that part of Hwy 120 was closed for the season as soon as the storms hit on Thursday. So, no action shots, just more posing the 4Runner in scenic spots. (I added the photos to the same album, http://community.webshots.com/album/54267754SlNwNX).

Still loving the new 4Runner. It really is fun to drive. Handles beautifully in the mountains. Only gripe so far: I don't much care for the running boards. I usually step over them when getting in and out, which led to scraping of pants legs against the muddy boards this weekend. I'm going to ask my dealer if it would be possible and if so, how much it would cost to have them removed.

• olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    After well over a year of lurking on this board (as well as many others) to find info on the '03 4Runner, here's my $.02. Bought a Titanium Limited a few weeks ago (have owned both 2nd and 3rd gens) and LOVE it! V8 is super-smooth, handles great, and the structure is tight as a drum (to be expected.) Got mine here in NC (Sanford--good guys.) Went to their website, chose the one I wanted (X-REAS, 6 CD changer, NO spoiler) and had it in a week. I had my doubts about the styling from the spy pics, but it looks good in person (and keeps looking better--parked next to my '96, makes the 3rd gen look kinda antique, in a good way.) All I can say is--you need to drive one before you decide.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you finally decided to come out of the shadows and participate in the dicussion. So what took you so long?

tidester, host
    Thanks for posting your pictures. I like the Bridalveil Falls one best! Looks like you caught the black oaks changing color.

I would think your dealer would be willing to remove your running boards for free.

Glad you're liking your 4Runner!
  • superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    Hi everyone. I've been along for the ride with all of you. It seems like so long ago that we were all complaining about lack of information, and now I've already seen two Limiteds on the street and driven an SR5 myself.

I have a rather strange question. It seems that everyone on this board is already an SUV devotee. I guess that goes without saying for many of you out there with kids to haul.

But what about those of us that are single, living in apartments, without any need to carry large items, or multiple people? Should we buy an SUV?

I really like the 4Runner, but am totally split over whether I should buy something smaller and sportier. So, why buy an SUV ?
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    I thought the reviewer in the review you posted in your second message hit the nail on the head in his summary. I traded a Highlander for my 4Runner because I plan to tow quite a bit and also on rare occasions have to go through drifting snow to get to work in the middle of the night. Both are excellent vehicles. The Highlander was a little more comfortable for me, drove very nice, and was outstanding cruising on the highway. It is a good compromise between a car and a truck-based SUV.

I had a Subaru Forester before the Highlander. I liked it a little better for running around town, but the Highlander was much more comfortable on the highway. Both did pretty well in the snow and ice, but I did get the Subaru stuck twice and one of my employees with Jeep GC had to come get me out (but I think the Subaru might actually be a little better than the Highlander in that regard because of slightly higher ground clearance).

The Subaru got the best gas mileage--22.98 mpg. The Highlander got 19.14. Too early to tell on the Runner, but after the first four tanks I am getting 16.80. I expect to do a little better when I get to take it on some long trips.

Comparing any of these to our '95 Honda Accord (which my high schooler drives), I'd have to say I prefer the 4WD SUVs. My wife is short and prefers the better view of the road (higher seat) of the SUVs. The Accord is not that great in the snow. It does, however, get 26.41 MPG and is a nice little car (but not as comfortable for me as the Highlander).

Of course, your mileage may vary! Good luck with whatever you decide on.
  • jkpete1jkpete1 Member Posts: 1
    Called one of the dealers here in Las Vegas and they are saying the V6's won't be here tell Mar. Has anyone heard anything different for their area?