Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Dodge Ram EPA fuel economy estimates are out

orangutanorangutan Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Dodge
Notes: All numbers are for automatic-transmission models. The 3.7 liter V6 is connected to a four-speed automatic while the 4.7 V8 and 5.7 V8 are connected to a five-speed automatic. These are the only estimates that have been published yet. Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm to browse these and other figures.

2WD:
Engine size | City mpg | Highway mpg

3.7 | 14 | 20
4.7 | 14 | 19
5.7 | 14 | 20
4.7 e85 | 9 | 13

4WD:
Engine size | City mpg | Highway mpg

4.7 | 13 | 18
5.7 | 13 | 18
4.7 e85 | 9 | 12

Comments

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The 2009 Ram 1500 will not be offered with a manual transmission, nor will the 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. If you want to shift for yourself, you'll have to step up to a 2500 or 3500 diesel.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    Wow, really? Are you sure about the lack of manual offerings? That would seem to preclude selling any Rams as low-end work trucks, among other things. How will they achieve the 23 mpg rating they've touted for the 2009 Ram if these are the only drivetrains?

Edit: I did some more research and see that Dodge later "corrected" the 23 mpg number down to 20. I was really excited about the idea of getting 23 miles a gallon in a Ram along with the new rear suspension and Rambox. But with the Rambox debacle and unspectacular fuel economy, as well as Chrysler's reliability, materials quality, and build quality, I'm giving up on this Ram.
  • Options
    ddumas29ddumas29 Member Posts: 1
    Dodge has been saying the HP is up to 390 and fuel econony is up 18 - 20 %, given the posted figures I don't see much of an increase, my "06" 5.7 Hemi was listed at 13 - 19. I see only 1 mpg posted gain in both city and highway. I've been sending Dodge e-mails for the last 8 months to offer a 7 or 8 speed auto trans option, that would certainly boost MPG for city and highway. I would gladly pay $1,000 - $1,500
    for the 7 or 8 speed option with a gain of 3-4 MPG, both city and highway. I didn't do the math but the fuel savings would offset the added cost of the trans. Although the truck looks great, better interior, and better exterior styling, quality etc. I think they fell short on the trans given todays fuel costs. They also shot themselves in the foot wwhen they killed off the lease option. As much as I like the looks of the truck, no effort was made at fuel economy, & no leasing! Well I guess I will have to go to TOYOTA for the next truck. DODGE, you are about to loose a lifelong customer to the Japanese, because you failed to provide the two things I need most in a 5.7L full size truck - LEASING and BETTER FUEL MILAGE. Although the TOYOTA is a little worse on fuel, (2mpg) they do offer a lease. Too bad Dodge you missed the target again. AND... whats the deal holding off putting the "09" on the streets till sometime in October, instead of September 1, as it always has been. Boy it's just one bad descision after another. Sales down 37%, go figure....
    Dennis
  • Options
    The official Dodge spec sheet released on September 1 for the 2009 Ram 1500 says the 42RLE automatic is standard and the only trans available with the 3.7. The 545RFE is standard and the only trans available with the V8s.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    Dodge has been saying the HP is up to 390 and fuel econony is up 18 - 20 %

Not sure where you saw 18-20%, because the Dodge press release from the January intro at the Detroit auto show notes a projected increase of 4%.

Chrysler Press Release - 2009 Ram 1500 Intro, Jan 13 2008

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    What exactly is the "Rambox debacle"?
  • Options
    Chrysler won't set an actual price on the Rambox until they know how many trucks will be ordered with it, but dealers won't order trucks with it until they know how much Chrysler is going to charge for it.
  • Options
    folsomjack2folsomjack2 Member Posts: 4
    And at $11,525 plus tax and license it was like a gift! The lack of a shifter tranny would have sent me else-where so I guess things work out!
This discussion has been closed.