Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Tahoe Locks and Windows

jbowenstellajbowenstella Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
Recently, while driving, my door locks unlocked and then relocked without being envoked manually. This has occurred several time at different speeds while accelerating and decelerating. On occasion, the air conditioning system is turned off. On two occasions, the engine cut out. This obviously is of most concern to me as the steering wheel locked up. To recover, I quickly placed the transmission in neutral and restarted the engine. I took my Tahoe into the Chevy dealer but the mechanics were unable to find the source of the problem after running the diagnostics. I was certain that this was related to a falty computer chip. Now, I am at a loss for what is causing the locking system to operate unprovoked. Has anyone else experienced this dilemma? Thanks for you input in advance.

Comments

• Options
    arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    Does your Tahoe have the on-board computer where you can set some door locking, seat position recall, head lamp delays etc?

If you do, how is your door locking set-up, i.e. is it set to lock doors automatically from speed or from off-park? Then, is it set to unlock doors from gear selector being on-park?

For trouble shooting purposes you could set both door locking and unlocking to manual so the car would not try to do it automatically. If this stops doors from unlocking and locking while driving it could be a sign of failing park/neutral switch.

One scenario how this would work is that for example if you have set the doors to lock from speed and unlock from park a flaky park switch could cause the doors to unlock while driving and then the doors would lock again when flaky signal disappears because the car is moving faster than door locking speed.

Setting the door locking to manual should take care of this if it is caused by a failing park/neutral switch.

Why would this cause the engine to shut off I have no idea other than if there is some sort of interlocking for running engine when vehicle speed is above certain limit and gear shifter is on park? If there is interlocking for running engine like this then your engine would be shutting off every time the door unlock / lock happens but if this lock / unlock cycle is fast the engine will re-start before it actually stops turning. Does unlock / lock happen quickly? If it does, on those two occasions when engine stalled did the doors stay unlocked?

If you do not have the on-board computer with the door locking selections then forget the above.

When your engine stalled you say steering locked up. I hope you mean you lost power steering and it became very hard to turn the wheel. Steering wheel should not lock as long as you have key in the ignition switch.

-Arrie-
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Suspect a faulty ignition switch, or a main power relay.

With an intermittent problem like this, you may have to connect a test wire with a voltmeter to monitor a strategic voltage point.....to see if you can prove or disprove where the voltage may be dropping.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There may be something helpful in Suburban Door Locks and Windows.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.