Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I made a mistake. The lowest (numerically highest) rear axle ratio since 2001 is 4.10. Before 2001, if you got the big tires AND rear electronic locker, you would get 4.30 rear axle ratio. So, if you had the Limited 4wd model WITH rear locker back in 1999, then your gear ratio would be stronger (4.3 vs. 4.1).
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Yes, they used to make a 4.3 rear end. When I bought my 2001 4Runner I seem to remember a 3.73 for the two wheel drive. A 3.9? and a 4.10 both for 4 Wheel drives. Beagles3 gearing of 72 mph at 2200 RPM seems to suggest a higher gearing than the 4.1.

A good way to check is to run the SUV at 2,000 RPM with overdrive on. With the 4.1 it should be at 60.8 MPH. My 3.73 rear end runs at 67 to 68 MPH at 2,000 RPM. The 3.9 should be somewhere in-between 60.8 and 67MPH, probably around 64 MPH or so. My bet the gearing may be higher than the 4.1. Maybe someone else can give more information on gearing.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    You are correct because in my 99 SR5 I had the P265 tire/wheel combo and the rear locker. I actually thought that the Limited's had a numerically lower gearing that the SR5/Sport? My new rig just does not feel like it has the powerband my old one did? I know a little bit about gearing because of a gear swap I did many years ago in my 1983 CJ7 (went from 3.31 to 4.56) and what a difference in power it made.

My thought is that in my 99 SR5 I drove with the overdrive on most of the time and with the new rig, I find that the overdrive is really a overdrive and not for uphill use at all?
    If you want more info on 2002 model, see link:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4

If you want more info on older models, see this link:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8

Enjoy!

Thanks Intmed99 for those useful threads. I saved the specs of the 2001 to my computer. According to the Web Site Intmed99 provided, it looks like the 2002 comes with a 3.727 for 2WD and 3.909 for the 4WD. The 4.1 is optional, BUT it looks like it is standard on the Limited model. So it looks like Beagles3 has the 4.1.
  • gage3gage3 Member Posts: 4
    Can you turn off/disable the daytime running lights on the '03 LTD ?
    The one I ordered has them (only way I could get a LTD with X-REAS.) I want to be able to turn them off.
    The dealer says you can, there is a switch. But, from my experience they don't know what they are talking about 99% of the time.

Regards,
    Thanks for all the info intmed99 and peter78...I think I have the 3.9 on the 2002 Limited? Lots of good info...
    You should have 4.10, if you have the Limited model.
    Too much reading on those websites....Sorry:(
    Peter78 and intmed99 I checked my rpm's coming in this morning and I am doing 66 mph @ 2000 rpm and 70 mph @ 2200 rpm...
    66 MPH at 2,000 RPM. Maybe the tires are different or the instruments are off? Still you should be showing just around 60 MPH at 2,000 RPM. I wonder if you do have a different rear end. Maybe Cliffy can give us his views.
    The rig has just under 3,000 mi,so, it still has the factory Bridgestone HT's that are P265/16. I just find it hard to believe that I have 4.10's? Or even 3.90's?
    Just kidding! I am sure you have 4.10 gearing. Unless Toyota workers put in the wrong gearing.
    Alright, I probably have the 4.10's...Obviously , I am not a mechanic,so, I will rest assured that my friends here at Edmunds are in the know..Thanks for the input..The bottom line is that this veh just drives differently than my old,so, I think to put my mind to rest, I will take a trip to the dealer and have them check it out:)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    You know, there is a way to determine in your own driveway what rear-end ratio you have.

Put the rear of the car on jack stands with the engine off and car in neutral. You should be able to turn the rear tires by hand.

Turn the rear wheel one turn. Count how many revolutions the driveshaft makes. The shaft will make 4.1 revolutions for one turn of the rear wheel with 4.10 gears. Simple.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Most of the old models had 4:10. The old 31x10.50x15 tire option even came with 4:55 gearing. That was a nice set up.
    Thanks to all for your thoughtful input...It's going to the dealer tomorrow for a test ride by the Service Mgr. I will also drive another 02' Limited in order to compare...So funny, because it drives great without the overdrive off (gas mileage suffers),but, only have the problem with the OD on?
    Beagles3, I am glad your going to the service department. Your gearing sounds a lot like my 2WD SR5 with a 3.73 rear end. Let us know what you find out.
    Thanks for listening to me...
  • tahoma17tahoma17 Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading this board for the past few months, and I would like to thank all of the participants for the very useful information they have provided. I am a transplanted Midwesterner who has lived in California the past 20 years. I am moving back to the Midwest (Minnesota) next year and have been waiting for the new 4Runner to come out to replace my aging (but great) Camry, so that I have four-wheel drive capability for winter driving, among other things. Like many of you I was sorely disappointed by the cladding, as I have always loved the look of the classic 4Runner. So I am currently trying to decide between the 2003 Sport and the Limited, since I want the X-REAS suspension. My dilemma is I hate the cladding of the Sport, but don't want all the added (and expensive) luxuries of the Limited that I don't want or need. Since I'll be on gravel roads part of the time, the cladding may be a benefit. I have two questions for you knowledgeable folks: (1) The cladding also seems like it may be beneficial in snow country where the roads are salted, because plastic cladding may diminish problems with rusting caused by road salt--does anyone have any experience (as in knowledge about other plastic-cladded vehicles that have come before the 2003 4Runner) or comment on that? (2) When I lived in the Midwest, I wasn't what you would call a savvy buyer, and dealers were always trying to sell undercoating. That's not an issue in California, but should I be getting some sort of extra protection on my 4Runner in anticipation of my return to snow country? Thanks very much for your input.
  • nhopper1nhopper1 Member Posts: 21
    A lot of rust results from water(esp. salty water) being trapped in a cavity or space that can't be cleaned or flushed well. Door panels, rocker panels, behind trim pieces, etc. That brings up the question of whether the cladding on the 4Runners(remember, the Limited has cladding too) will act as a trap too. Other vehicles that I have seen in my area that have had their cladding removed after a number of years seem to have quite an accumulation of salty dirt in the area behind the cladding and sometimes rust.

Regarding undercoating, the black tar-like substances were infamous for peeling back over time and trapping the moisture, and salt, if present, and actually ACCELERATING the rusting process! I don't know about the wax-based types.

I think common wisdom in the trade is that undercoating is at least a waste of money, and possibly counter-productive.

I've seen early 90's 4Runners that have rusted(from behind)all over the lower edges of the bodies that had been used in heavily salted areas. Cladding wasn't present. I certainly hope Toyota has like many later manufacturers gotten much better at corrosion resistant techniques.

Hope that helps.
  • ajivoinajivoin Member Posts: 7
    I rented a 2003 4Runner Sport Edition for a few days from a dealership here in Colorado and did an extensive test drive. A couple more things I noticed that make this new model a no sale for me.

1) When driving at night and using the turn signals the light reflects off the visor. The location of the turn signal indicator, right above the circular dash, is the cause. The light reflects off the glossy silver finish.

2) When driving during the day in certain sunny conditions the reflection of silver gloss tri-circular dash and area around the radio, heater, etc. reflects into the top third of the front window. To see that bright reflection in the window is a distraction.

I turned the car in last Friday. When I got back in my 2000 4Runner SR5 it was "Oh what a feeling!" I had not realized how much stress it was to deal with all the lousy design features of the new 4Runner.

Now that I'm totally committed to my 2000 I'm going to get the fog light package, supercharger and have an air suspension installed... and problably get a new premium sound system installed. Thank goodness I've taken care of my 2000 to this day.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Where were you able to rent the new 4Runner? How much was it to do so? I'm considering possibly buying one, and renting one for a bit might be a good way to have an extended test drive. I'm in the north Denver area, so there's a decent chance where you rented from would be convenient. Thanks...
  • rollie3rollie3 Member Posts: 13
    After weeks checking out the new runners and reading all of the very helpful posts on Edmunds. I bought the V6 Sport in Titanium. Although, the cladding has taken some time for me to get use too, I think it goes fairly well with titanium. I only have several hundred miles driving time but the handling, ride, and increased power is certainly an improvement over my G3. The new V6 with 4 speed auto is as smooth as any engine I have owned. I wanted the option of 2 wheel drive and better mileage that the V6 offers. My major complaint is the low back lighting on radio and heater panels. It is difficult to read without wearing my reading glasses. I do not need glasses for driving thus it is a pain to read the digital read outs. [However, the lighting certainly got better when my son removed the plastic coating that the dealer failed to remove on delivery]. I love my 96' [100 K] but over time I believe the G4 will become my favorite over my previous G2 and G3 models.
    Certainly, the value is in the new models. I paid a little over $31 K for the Sport which is only $1500 more than I paid for my seven year old SR5.
    Next week heading over the mountains to Bend so I will see how the new rig handles in mountain snow and ice. Will follow up with report and gas mileage.

PS The cladding may be more of a problem with us runner nuts as family and friends have all[one exception] commented how much they liked it!!!
  • tahoma17tahoma17 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. I should have clarified that it's the contrasting gray cladding of the SR5 and Sport that I dislike, because I detest that two-tone look. I did wonder if the seam where the cladding meets the rest of the body would have a tendency to trap salt, water, etc., particularly as the vehicle aged. I guess the answer is frequent car washes on the warmer winter days to wash off the salt, since I hope to keep the new 4Runner as long or longer than I have had my '93 Camry. Thanks.
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    I just bought a new 4Runner last night. I have been looking at the Sequoia for 2 years and was finally ready to purchase it. When I went to the dealer on Wednesday, I hapenend to see the new 4Runner. Oh, what a feeling! I gave it a test drive and fell in love. Yesterday, I went back (after price researching) and looked again. Two and one half hours later I signed the papers. Because I wanted navigation, they had to locate me one. Evidently, there are none in our region so they went to another. I will pick it up next week.

Although my family is happy for me, they can't truly appreciate what I am feeling like all of you can. I am so excited that I almost can't wait. After it comes in and I have driven it for a while, I'll let you all know my thoughts.

Happy and healthy holidays to all!
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Going to test drive a new 4Runner Limited tomorrow. Are people paying MSRP for them? If not, how much are dealers coming off MSRP?
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    We had a brief exchange a while back about folks accidentally driving the new Runners in 4th (overdrive off). Just today I was coming back from a trip with two fellow employees. We took my '03 Runner. I was sitting in back reading the newspaper while one of my pals was driving. It suddenly occurred to me that something didn't feel quite right. I looked over his shoulder and, sure enough, he was driving in 4th--he had no idea he had overdrive off.

I am beginning to wonder how many people inadvertently drive with OD off due to the design of the gear shift gates. This may be something Toyota really needs to fix. Out of 4 people who have driven my Runner 2, and maybe 3 (not sure about my wife but I have my suspicions), have made this mistake. At the very least I think an orange "OD OFF" light is warranted (rather than just just lighting the green 4, instead of D, on the gear indicator). My Sienna had the "OD OFF" light and it helped me a time or two (I found the button in the end of the shift lever pretty easy to push inadvertently--and caught my wife driving with OD off a time or two).
  • gage3gage3 Member Posts: 4
    redline65, I paid $100 over invoice on my LTD (and they had to order/get one, I didn't buy the ones on the lot) and it wasn't even a fight.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I think if you got $3000 off sticker, you'd be doing well.
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    2cents on road salt. Running a portable sprinkle under your vehicle regularly will greatly reduce salt deposits from the under chassis. 15 mins in fwd, 15 mins mid and 15 mins aft is what I do after driving through salted roads. I also have a pressure washer that I religiously utilize to clean underneath my 4runner(carefull with the pressure though) to flush out salt and dirt form hard to get areas.
  • gareneaugareneau Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2002 4-Runner SR5 and wanted to know if anybody could point me to the best solution for a pet ramp for getting my 110 lbs. BMD in the back. I'd like something that is easy to move in and out/easily stored. Also, it would be great if someone could direct me to the posts that talk about roof racks. Thanks for the help.
  • stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    Many of the Internet pet supply site have folding ramps that will meet your needs. Check Care-a-lot. A Google search for folding dog ramp and for PetStep will give you more hits. if you want to make your own, go to:

http://www.gricgoldentown.com/dog-steps.shtml

for instructions and pictures of a homemade ramp.

• gflorgflor Member Posts: 2
    I'm reeling between the 4runner vs Sequoia vs Honda Pilot.

I like the power, ride and quietness of the 4runner, but find the rear seat legroom lacking and wish for the extra seating.

Sequoia is nice but the find the acceleration not equal to the runner. Good looking though and nice room.

The Pilot seems like a nice compromise between the Sequoia and 4Runner. My feeling noise level is slightly more and power slightly less. Interior is not as apportioned as the Toy's.

Anyone else have comments on these.
    Car and Driver tested the new premium mid-size SUV's. The results were as follows:

8.)GMC Envoy SLT

7.)Land Rover Discovery SE

6.)Lincoln Aviator

5.)Volvo XC90 T6

4.)BMW X5 3.0i

3.)Acura MDX

2.)Lexus GX470

1.)Volkswagen Touareg

As I can re-call the Acura won the last comparison at Car and Driver. The Lexus GX470, which has a full frame, came in second by Car and Driver is not bad. Now, I wonder how much difference is there between the GX470 and the 4Runner.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2003/january/0301_comparo_bradsher.xml

Off-roading should be very similar between the two. The major difference is in LUXURY and ride comfort. The GX is supposedly significantly quieter with more headroom.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The GX has a much raised roofline to give the headroom needed for the rear seats. It also offers the air-ride and adjustable suspension settings. The mechanicals are pretty much the same. So the things to consider are the looks, avail. of 3rd seat, height affecting handling, luxury features, warranty, and of course, pricing.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    We were looking at those three also. Our impressions were:

Pilot: not enough amenities (sunroof, heated seats, power passenger seat, dual zone A/C, etc..), third row seat is useless (unless you have kids under 10 or so), it didn't seem to have much power when you floored it. The engine was very quiet and the ride was comfortable, it drives much like a car.

4Runner: no third row, a little pricey even in the V6, cargo capacity wasn't that great. Ride is comfortable and the engine is quiet, I love those Toyota engines.

Sequoia: this is the one we wanted the most. It has it all, plenty of room (even in the third row), all of the amenities you could ask for, nice ride, quiet engine. But the price was way too much for us, optioned out how we like it would run well over $40K.

My suggestion would be to drive a GMC Envoy XL. It has a great deal of room (plenty in the 3rd row), decent acceleration, smooth engine (inline-6), comfortable ride, plenty of available amenities (heated 8-way power seats and power lumbar for both driver and passenger). Plus right now GM is offering 0% interest up to 60 months. You could save thousands of bucks...
    The Envoy has had it's share of multiple quality problems. IF i were to get the Envoy XL, i would get the optional 5.3L V8 to carry all that extra weight.

However, i would seriously consider the Yukon +/- Denali BEFORE the Envoy XL...i just think it is better built.
    The salesperson at the GMC dealership told me they got an Envoy XL with the 5.3L V8 and they had mucho transmission problems with it. I would be more hesitant to buy it with the new engine than with the one that has been out for a few years. Hopefully GM has had time to work out most of the quality issues on the 4.2L Envoy in that time, but you never know...

To be honest, if I were shopping in the Yukon/Denali price range I would most likely buy the Sequoia.
    The 5.3L V8 has been out much longer than the 4.2L I6. I think it has been in the GMC/Chevy trucks for a long time. In addition, the transmissions from GM have been bullet-proof...that is what GM is known for!...or, at least, that is what i've heard.

With the increase weight of the XL, i don't think the 4.2L I6 will cut it.
    What I meant by new engine was new for the Envoy XL. But you are right, the 5.3 is used in other applications and is paired with the M30 4-speed auto transmission in the Yukon as well. Maybe the sales guy was yanking my chain.

The curb weight is only about 350 additional lbs. for the XL. It takes about 9 seconds to get from 0-60 vs. 8 seconds for the standard Envoy. Not too bad. But alas, this is the 4Runner thread...
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    Does anyone know if the oil filter for the V8 '03 Runner is the same as for the '02 Sequoia with the V8 engine? I am ready for my first oil change at 5,000 miles but cannot find which filter it uses (the part number is not in the owners manual, and none of the web sites I checked have the '03 Runner listed yet). I don't live near a Toyota dealership so I'll have a local place change it for me (with Mobil 1), but I prefer to supply my own filter--AC-Delco UltraGuard Gold. I have several UPF 53s on hand from other Toyotas I have owned, so I hope this size also fits my Runner.
  • lomadoolomadoo Member Posts: 4
    this is from other forum, but any others out there (any model year) notice fore/aft and side-to-side squeaks in driver's seat? mine appears bolted down ok. i weigh 215. no matter what, i LOVE this vehicle (as much as i can without being idolatrous).
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    the reason 96 to 02's shift all the time when in OD is very simple, the engine does not have enough torque. i have a s350 mbenz diesel that weighs over 5000#, and it never shifts out o.d. on a highway even if you going up long grade. this is same reason i got rid of my 97 4runner, and bought a 02 pathfinder, it almost never shifts going uphill. proably would go back to 4runner with new engine if it has enough TORQUE.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Pathfinder: 240hp @ 6000 rpm
    265 ft-lbs @ 3200 rpm

4Runner: 235 hp @ 4800 rpm
    320 ft-lbs @ 3400 rpm

I'd have to say that the 4Runner has a bit more torque than the Pathfinder now.
  • 004runner004runner Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 4Runner 5sp manual. Initially the transmission shifted perfectly smooth. After a couple months, it began shifting roughly into second gear. A knock sensation can be felt through the shift lever as it goes into second. The problem does not happen all the time. I first noticed it after returning it to 2H after using 4H for the first time. The dealer has driven it and doesn't think there is a problem. They claim they don't feel the rough shift. If I shift slowly into second, the transmission grinds sometimes. I think the "knock" / rough shift I feel when shifting normally, is actually the transmission getting pushed through a grind. I've written several letters to Toyota Canada and even send them a video showing the transmission grinding when it is shifted slowly into second. When they saw the video, they agreed there was a problem, but wanted a dealer to witness it first hand. I took it to the dealer, they saw and felt the grinding, but said any transmission will grind if shifted slowly. They also, could not feel a rough shift when shifting normal speed and said there is nothing wrong with it. The problem only seems to be with second gear. It doesn't happen all the time. And, it seems to shift a lot smoother if the truck has been driven for a LONG time (over an hour). Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    You could have a bent shifter fork. If it is, it will get worse over time and not cheap to replace. Unfortunately, they have to drop the transmission and crack it open to get to it. It's the labor that's expensive.

The worse shift feel happens from 1st to 2nd and can be a little sticky from 3rd to 4th.

It's a strange feeling, as if it's not shifting completely into gear sometimes. Otherwise, it's can feel like you're forcing it in & out gear with a rough or clunking sound. Similar to a bad clutch.

Hopefully it's not this serious.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    you're comparing a v8 4.7 toyota to 3.5 v6 in pathfinder, and 3.5 in mb diesel. lets compare apples to apples! the old toyota was a weak [non-permissible content removed] 3.4 v6!
  • 004runner004runner Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your reply. I'm curious... is this a problem you have experienced? And if so, did you manage to get Toyota to repair it under warranty?
    Do you think a bent shifter fork would cause a rough shift only some of the time (as in my case)? Do you know if it has been a common problem? Sorry for all the questions:)

Your description of feeling like it "has to be forced in and out of gear" sounds familiar to me. Especially in cold weather, I've found that it is extremely difficult to get out of first, it clunks into second very rough, and then requires lots of force to get it out of second.
    Would a shifter fork problem be worse in cold weather?

After 2 and a half years of trying to get this problem sorted out, it is encouraging to get a new lead. None of the service people have ever mentioned the shifter fork before.

I'd appreciate any other info you have on shifter forks (or where I might be able to find more info on the web, etc.).

Thanks for your time and all your help.