Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Rebirth of Buick.........

cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
OK,OK, I'll take a kick at the cat:

With the success of the Enclave, and positive buzz over the 2010 Lacrosse, and an apparent mating of NA Buick with China's Buick (though not meaning Chinese built Buick's coming here) style wise, is this the rebirth of the US's second oldest remaining nameplate???
Tagged:

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Ha, nope. Once you take out the fleet sales, I wonder if Buick is even outselling Mini YTD?
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Well, I doubt that the Enclave is a fleet darling. But, understand that right now the Lacrosse and Lucerne ride on 10 year old platforms. The Lacrosse will come to us as an Epsillon 2 variant in less than a year (do I smell a Lacrosse classic for Avis & Co???). If it is as good as the Aura, Malibu, and CTS, people are going to want this car.

The buzz is also that this "Chinese" styling is to be the future face of Buick here in America.

Lucerne replacement is still a couple years away.

The question is going forward, will the "new GM way of thinking" and these new vehicles coming out of that be able to pull Buick out of it's sales malaise???
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    The answer is maybe or probably, IF the new designs replace the frumpy image with a good dose of cool factor.

To me, Buick's post war zenith was the '55 model year, when you could be proud to drive a Buick, and the Century, especially, was cool. Some subsequent model years were also good. For example, for '63, when the Riviera was introduced, and again in '67, '69, '78, and '85, Buick fulfilled its mission of delivering substantial, comfortable, upper mid-range to luxury cars, in my opinion. Although The '78 and '85 large body Buicks were down-sized, they were roomy, comfortable, premium cars. However, despite some promising ralleyes, Buick never regained the cache' it had in the '40s (the '49 Roadmaster was drop dead gorgeous) through mid-'50s. The brand may have come close to regaining its glory some years, but then fell back, in years '57 and '58, for example. Like other domestics, quality problems played a major role in Buick's decline in the '70s and '80s, and the brand never regained traction.

Let's hope the next generation LaCrosse demonstrates that the Enclave wasn't just an aberration.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Nope. The new Traverse will take away sales from the Enclave. The 2010 laCrosse will compete more with the Malibu and Impala than with any other car. The Lucerne and LaCrosse are already nice vehicles. Don't you have to have an AARP card to shop at a Buick dealership. That type of image takes a long time to go away.
    Well, you make some good points, dtownfb. I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Buick can change its image fairly quickly. As a premium brand, it doesn't have to attract the below 30 crowd, but it certainly must appeal to the late 30s and older crowd, instead of only (with few exceptions) the 55+ motorists.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine one of the objectives of the Buick Reatta was to pull younger people into the showroom, but it failed to do that. I think the Reatta was nicely styled, but its driving dynamics weren't sporty enough. It should have offered a supercharged version with a tight suspension and a 5-speed manual, a Reatta "Grand National" or "GNX." That may have helped, and may have saved the Reatta.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    The vice-principal of my high school, who re-defined bland, drove a Reatta. That says it all for me.
    The problem I see is the Lucerne and LaCrosse were suppose to attract the younger crowd. Folks have been lukewarm to these cars. Not sure how a "re-designed" Lucerne will get this done. No one is buying them now and GM can not afford to market these vehicles the way they should. Like I mentioned before, they are already nice vehicles. No reason why more poeple shouldn't be buying them. Saturn has the same problem. Nobody knows about their lineup. People rave about the Malibu, Saturn had its twin, the Aura, a year earlier. Now you can't give away the Aura.

GM has too many brands. They can't afford to keep them all and support them properly.
    Look at these comments:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/19/spy-shotss-2010-buick-lacrosse-little-camo-pl- us-interior/

The Lucerne outsells the Avalon.

The current Lacrosse has been saddled with "looks like a 2nd gen Taurus"

The Aura's biggest hurdle is that there are only 500 dealerships in the country.

I doubt Traverse shoppers will be cross shopping the Enclave. 2 different price ranges. If the Enclave was too expensive, then the Acadia would drown out it's sales, which it doesn't
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    side by side:

Taurus

2005 LaCrosse

Really. They're not THAT similar!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    The current Buick Lineup is a mixed one IMO:

-The Enclave is selling well but it isn't that impressive to me as I think the market is shifting to smaller, lighter CUVs (Vue, Flex, CR-V, etc.). It is really quite "trucky" when you see it up close, the interior of the less than top line version is no nicer than that of a GMC Acadia IMO and the damn thing sits so high that the old folks who like Buicks will find it hard to get into.

-The Lucerne has a crappy name but it's the only thing in the lineup with anything like the luxury land yacht appeal of the Buicks of yore. The styling while gimmick- free and clean is a little anonymous to my eyes.

-The Lacrosse OTOH has little appeal even to the oldsters who gravitate to Buicks.
    You don't see many even in places like Florida and Arizona.

Nope, Buick has a ways to go before it's reborn.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Actually, I didn't realize how similar they really ARE until you put pictures of them up side by side.

I think the best thing Buick has going for it is this new Chinese styling. That Riviera they are going to produce for the Chinese market is the best-looking Buick in a long LONG time.

And anyone contemplating the long-term future of Buick MUST at least take into account the strong likelihood that if Buick continues to be sold in the U.S. it will be Chinese-designed and built. China is a much more popular market for Buick, and the cars will eventually be designed and sold where they sell best.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Always amazes me how folks try to show success by comparing a GM product to a Toyota or Honda product. The Camry alone outsells the entire Buick and Saturn divisions.

BTW, Saturn had the same number of dealerships when it sold over 286k vehicles in 1994 with one vehicle. They sell fewer than that now with 5 vehicles.

Here are the numbers that matter for Buick. In the calendar year 2002, Buick sold over 432,000 vehicles. Calendar year 2007, they sold roughly 186,000 units. And through August 2008 (7 months), Buick has sold about 99,000 units, down 21% compared to last year. Basically, they have dropped over 50% in 5-6 years and still sliding. Everyone acknowledges that the new car market will remain tight through 2009 due to the economic crisis. I'm not sure where these sales are coming from.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Here are the numbers that matter for Buick. In the calendar year 2002, Buick sold over 432,000 vehicles. Calendar year 2007, they sold roughly 186,000 units. And through August 2008 (7 months), Buick has sold about 99,000 units, down 21% compared to last year.

Just to show how far Buick has fallen...in 1983, they actually outsold Ford!
    Just to show how far Buick has fallen...in 1983, they actually outsold Ford!

Wow!!! I couldn't find numbers that far back.
    I don't know how easy those numbers would be to find online, but I have some old car books that list production. Also, I should note that this is for cars only. If you combined Ford cars and trucks back then, they still would have been a close #2 behind Chevy.

The 1980-83 period was a bad time in general for the domestic auto industry, but GM weathered it pretty well. Chrysler was actually back on track by 1983, paying their gov't secured loans in full that year, way ahead of schedule. But they were also a leaner company, and learning to survive on smaller volume. Ford was actually a wreck around that timeframe, too, but their troubles weren't as well publicized as Chrysler's.

Anyway, in 1981 I think it was, Oldsmobile slipped past Ford and into the #2 position, and then Buick slipped into #3 for 1983. By 1984 though, Ford was on the rebound, as the economy improved, sales of the aero T-bird took off, and the Tempo proved a sales hit. I think they moved ahead of Buick for 1984, and then ahead of Olds for 1985, and a few years later they were outselling Chevy.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I owned a 91 Reatta. It was not sports car, but it was not a bad car. On the other hand, the Riviera of that period was probably just as good. I would point out that the Mercedes SL's in the 70's and 80's were not sports cars either and did not compare with the 300SL gullwing. The Reatta was a cheap SL knockoff of sorts and much cheaper than the Allante. Why GM thought they could sell both the Reatta and the Allante is beyond me. Neither sold well.
    I have owned numerous Buicks, the last was the 95 Riviera. I liked the Buicks because I got a lot of the stuff that was otherwise only available on Cadilliacs, such as fully automatic climate control. The interiors were nice, but not overstuffed like the Olds Regency or Cadillac d'Elegance. But the 95 Riviera interior was too plastic for my taste, as was the 98 Aurora. I think that the Cadillac interiors on my 2002 Seville and my 2007 SRX are closer to what Buicks should have.

I don't know if Buick's sales decline is related to the cheapening of the interiors or if it is a result of Buick offering very few models in the last ten years. Before Olds was dumped, Buick only offered the midsize and full size cars, basically two platforms. Now they offer three platforms.
    My judgment of the car is more on the owner than the car itself :P

It seems the Allante was as close to an SL as a period SL was to a gullwing.

GM was arguably at its most clueless in the late 80s and early 90s. And that's saying something.
    A co-worker of mine inherited a lowish miles 94 LeSabre from his grandparents. The upholstery itself is OK for what the car is, but the interior plastics and the dashboard itself are pretty laughable. I can't imagine it being any better when the car was new, either. The car has held up decently otherwise, but the insides don't make one think of a quality product.
    so-called "Top 10 Production Vehicles" (of all time), for its centennial, and Buick doesn't bear a mention:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/09/gm-chooses-its-best-ever-cars-money-making-t- - rucks-noticeably-absent.html#more

Indeed, Saturn, Cadillac, Chevy, and Pontiac all make the list with at least one vehicle, heck even SAAB makes the list (with a vehicle that was designed WAAAAY before GM had ANYTHING to do with Saab), but Buick gets dis(mis)sed...

...the list does not represent top sellers or anything, as the Silverado also is not on it. I guess I don't see the case for Buick being anything more than a Chinese division of GM in future, and if GM has nothing good to say about them for the centennial, maybe they are thinking the same way?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Buick would get a lot more consideration if they would just raise gas mileage figures by 8-10 ^
    A 1910 Caddy and the accepted milestone of the 1912 car? Certainly something else could be seen as more significant than the 1910 car. Even the space-efficient dowsized models, or maybe the early FI applications. Or for a Buick, maybe the first Century, which was a predecessor of the "performance" (for the period) sedan. The Saab is a dorky choice too, as well as the mention of GM tanks in neutral Sweden, and the idea of a 1930s Opel not being "politically correct" is silly.
    Or for a Buick, maybe the first Century

What year was that?

Oh, and BTW, if Buick is "the US's second oldest remaining nameplate", what is the oldest? Is Ford older? Oldsmobile was the oldest until it was canned, right?

As for GM's top 10 list, I thought it odd, yes. I merely included it in the commentary because it may indicate something about how important GM considers Buick to be in its grand scheme.

The first Buick Century was the 1936 model. It was created by putting the big engine from the senior models into the smaller, lighter body. Whereas the Special had a 233 inline-8 with 93 hp, the Century had a big 320 inline-8 with 120 hp.

I think Cadillac is the oldest US nameplate. It was founded in 1902. Ford Motor Company was founded in 1903, although Henry Ford did build cars before that. Buick was also founded in 1903, but I don't know which one was founded first. Ironically, Ford was founded with considerable investment from John and Horace Dodge. Maybe that's where the Acronym "F Over Rebuilt Dodge" comes from? :P

One other car that I think would be significant for GM is the 1939 Oldsmobile. First car to offer a fully automatic transmission. And believe it or not, it was a 4-speed!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I rented an '05 LaCrosse a few months ago and got 28 mpg driving on 2 lane highways. I thought that was pretty good. 38 mph would have been terrific.
    Me, I would say 28 mpg is mediocre at best for all highway cruising.

Is the time ripe for a Buick (and Impala, and Avalon, and...) with a small 4-cylinder turbo under the hood, as Lutz has intimated?

Is the time ripe for a Buick (and Impala, and Avalon, and...) with a small 4-cylinder turbo under the hood, as Lutz has intimated?

Well, could we see that on the 2010 Lacrosse or the next gen Impala???
    Buick would get a lot more consideration if they would just raise gas mileage figures by 8-10 ^

You mean like Lexus or MB or BMW have???? Yeah, right.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I wasn't aware a new Buick discussion was here. Glad to see it.

What's missing? Respect. :P

Well, in other ways are what we are talking about here. I miss a moderately priced full-sized car replacing the leSabre. The Lucerne does but seems higher priced with the 3800 and the replacement V6. The Northstar isn't what I want. I think I'm looking for a Camry/Accord sized car with full front seat option and a 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder, or a turbo motor. The Lucerne just doesn't make it for a replacement for my older car or as a third car. There's something missing. And I think it is what leSabre was in the era in the 90s when it was the best selling full size sedan.
    Evan a used Lucerne doesn't interest me.

A smaller car with a 4-cylinder turbo might suit. I want something that's got room, gets greater gas mileage than 31-33 like the two current leSabres, but still is living room comfortable after 6 hours on the road to Nashville, e.g. The Hondas and Camrys I've sat in don't impress me as feeling good after 6-7 hours on the road. The Accord seats were especially poor and the Camry seats impress me as feeling good at first but becoming irritating later.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Sounds like you want a time machine. People don't buy cars to do that anymore. They buy Tahoes and Highlanders.
    Well, like I said, I had to take a kick at the cat.

Take a look at some of these comments:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/19/spy-shotss-2010-buick-lacrosse-little-camo-pl- - us-interior/

If GM can mate Saturn and Opel, and Pontiac and Holden, then is Buick (Asia) and Buick (NA) a stretch??

Now, I'm not suggesting importing Chinese Buicks here, as I believe the NA sister models for ALL GM models should be built here, but the platform and engineering sharing should save money. Then, all you have to do is adjust for what engines are to be used where, as well as safety equipt.
    I would say 28 mpg is mediocre at best for all highway cruising.

Ok, but you're coming out of an ECHO, I'm lucky to reach that in my minivan once every 3 years on a good day cruising; ditto my AWD Outback. So 28 mph in a rental that I had some fun punching was ok by me.
    Steve, with my '99 Ultra, the worst I've done on a long trip w/ 2 adults and 2 kids, one teen and one pre-teen, is 30 mpg. One thing I've noticed about 3800 engines over the last 20 yrs is that they are quite thrifty on the highway, yet they will suck it down in intown traffic.

BTW, did I mention I had an Echo in the trunk??? :P
    Am wondering why you didn't mention the LaCrosse in your message. It seems to me that if you're looking for a replacement for your LeSabre, the LaCrosse is the successor to the LeSabre, while the Lucerne replaces the Park Avenue and Park Avenue Ultra.

Although the gas mileage of the LaCrosse falls short of what you're looking for, it's pretty decent for the size of the car. Also, GM is giving such good deals on Buicks these days that you could buy quite a bit of gas with the savings on the purchase. Did you overlook the LaCrosse, or did you consider and reject it?
    I think the problem is that Buick targeted the Lucerne towards BOTH Lesabre and PA customers, while the Lacrosse was meant to grab Century and Regal customers.

We know that a new Lacrosse will be out in 12 months, and a new Lucerne is a couple years beyond, but I wonder what else is in store for them? A mid-size or compact CUV?? Something sporty??? A convertible???
    You may be correct regarding which models the La Crosse was intended to replace, but size wise, the LaCrosse is close to the Le Sabre. Maybe the LeSabre was more space efficient than the LaCrosse.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    The LaCrosse doesn't have quite the interior breadth that the leSabre does. The shape was different than Century/Impala, but just doesn't interest me. It has the roundedness of the Taurus. I believe one model did have full front seats.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53
    I'm a past Buick owner ('92 hand-me-down LeSabre), and I have to say that Buick has major issues with its image. Others have already pointed out that there are few pre-retirement buyers - and for good reason. My experience with a Buick was that it was a solid large car, big on passenger space, comfort, and very reliable (only problems I had with a car I got with 100k+ miles on it was when the battery went, followed by the alternator).

But while it had a smooth ride, it handled like a tugboat. I'm not sure there's a car out there that would give the driver a more disconnected feel for the road. Steering was vague and the car felt like it was floating - not a good feeling when changing lanes at highway speeds. This really turned me off to Buick - I quite simply can't perceive it as anything but a sofa on wheels, and styling changes (inside and out) are not enough to make me want to go back.

So what's the answer? I hate to say it, but I think there is no answer. GM has not given any fresh product to Buick that is not duplicated elsewhere in the lineup. At this point, GM either needs to start from scratch or scrap the brand.

The tinfoil hat-wearing cynic in me thinks GM is intentionally killing off the brand, but doing so in a manner that will get dealers to give up their franchises willingly, rather than facing an expensive axe-job like Oldsmobile.
    You mentioned the Impala. Although that model is lower in the GM hierarchy than the LeSabre, it's roomier than the LaCrosse, in terms of hip and shoulder room, and it has considerably more trunk space. Equipped with the 3.5 engine the Impala gets one mile per gallon more (city and highway) than the LaCrosse with the 3.8. The Impala also costs less than LaCrosse. Since the Accord and Camry didn't impress you, maybe the Impala would be a good fit for your needs.

I didn't mention the new Taurus, which is very roomy, because it doesn't offer six passenger seating, while the Impala does.

By the way, I'm not in the car business, so I'm not trying to promote a particular brand.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    The tinfoil hat-wearing cynic in me thinks GM is intentionally killing off the brand, but doing so in a manner that will get dealers to give up their franchises willingly, rather than facing an expensive axe-job like Oldsmobile.

Many of us have been banging on the concept for years that GM has too many divisions and has to spread development dollars and advertising across those brands, to the detriment of all. Others have argued that it would be too expensive ($1B) to shut down Buick or other divisions like Saturn or Pontiac. But the one thing its seems Ford has going for it is some really competitive smaller product in Europe, and they don't have such a large and bloated set of brands here in North America. They can stay much more focused than GM.

If GM has $21B in cash and is burning $8B a year (I believe I recently read numbers something like that), then even with their liquidity problems, spending the cost equivalent to 1/8 of a year in expenses ($1B) to shut down an entire division might be money well spent. GM for many years has seemed unwilling to make the bold and decisive moves it needs to survive. They should just admit they are way too big, downsize rapidly, and then work to build the very best product with what they have left. Sort of like the airlines - in previous recessions they tried to undercut each other and many of them went bankrupt--- but this time they're all actively downsizing to the size that will allow them to be profitable. And GM is way too big in North America to be profitable.
    Maybe the LeSabre was more space efficient than the LaCrosse

This probably isn't a concern for more average-height people, or if you never have back seat passengers, but I just find the back of the LaCrosse, and all W-bodies, for that matter, to be really cramped in the back. Put the front seat all the way back and the only way I can fit in is sideways. I think part of the problem is that the "theater height" seating raises the cushion enough that my legs need more fore-aft room, than with a lower seat. My head also hits the ceiling in back.

I swear the LaCrosse feels more cramped inside than my Dad's '03 Regal, although part of it might be the higher beltline and smaller windows of the LaCrosse. Even though the LaCrosse is a bit bigger than the Century Regal, having moved from the 109" Buick/Intrigue wheelbase to the 110.5" Impala/Grand Prix wheelbase, it seemed to have adopted the Pontiac's passenger cabin, which is swoopier and more rounded, which probably cuts into interior room.

As for the Lucerne, I looked at it as sort of splitting the difference between the LeSabre and the Park Ave, and trying to fill in for both at the same time. However, the cheapest Lucerne still seems more upscale than what the cheapest LeSabre was, while the top-line Lucerne seems a step above the Park Ave Ultra. I think the Park Ave's style had a bit more presence to it though.

I'd consider a used Lucerne if I was in the market for another car. But like Imidazol, I want to move ahead when it comes to fuel economy, not take a step back. I just noticed that for 2009, the Lucerne V-6 is the 3.5, rather than the 3.8. It's rated at 17/26, whereas the 3.8 was 16/25. So that's a slight improvement.

For comparison, the 2000 LeSabre is rated at 17/27 (the window sticker, which reflected the old rating method, was 19/30). My 2000 Intrepid is rated at 18/27 (20/29 on the window sticker).

So I guess 17/26, using the old rating system, would have been around 19/28 or 19/29? In real-world driving, that might actually not be too much of a difference compared to a 2000 Intrepid or LeSabre
    "I just noticed that for 2009, the Lucerne V-6 is the 3.5, rather than the 3.8. It's rated at 17/26, whereas the 3.8 was 16/25. So that's a slight improvement."

3.5 or 3.9?

How does the '09 Impala compare with the LeSabre and LaCrosse, in your opinion?
    Oops, yeah, it's the 3.9. My eyesight must be failing me...I could have sworn when I went to the EPA website it had a 3.5 listed!

The 3.9 in the Lucerne puts out 227 hp, 237 ft-lb of torque. Interestingly, it puts out a touch more in the Impala...233 hp, 240 torque. A few years back, in the Impala, it was putting out 242 hp, 242 ft-lb of torque. It was also a bit of a guzzler back then, too, as I recall. Maybe cutting the hp a bit is what helped its fuel economy?

Anyway, the 3.8 in the Lucerne was putting out 197 hp, 227 ft-lb of torque, so I'm guessing the 3.9 should be an improvement.

As for the Impala, even though it is a bigger car inside than the LaCrosse, it doesn't feel like it to me. My head still hits the ceiling in back, and with the front seat all the way back it's really cramped in there. It might be a little bit better, legroom-wise, than the LaCrosse, but I swear I fit better in the back seat of a Malibu or Aura.

If I was shopping for a car like this, that's probably the reason that I'd get an Aura or Malibu over a LaCrosse or Impala. While the LaCrosse/Impala are larger cars, they just don't feel like they're larger in any dimensions that would increase their usability to me. But then cars like the Lucerne, or the departed LeSabre, feel plenty roomy to me, without feeling any more bulky in overall size than an Impala or LaCrosse. And fuel economy is close enough that I'd probably just go for the bigger car.
    There seem to be two (2) 3.9 engines:
    this one and this flex fuel 3.9.

There is a difference in emissions, so both are not available everywhere.
    The straight eight Buick had in the 1930's had over head valves, which put it a step a head of GM's other 8 cylinder engines, which were not over head valves.
    I wasn't thinking of the Echo at all. The Echo would use just about HALF the gas your Lacrosse did, on such a trip. I was thinking of highway trips I had taken in both the last-gen Camry and last-gen Accord. 4 adults on board, plus their luggage, mpg was in the mid to high 30s, which I would consider decent given the 75 mph and the A/C running.

Of the two, the Accord was notably the driver's car and both had 4-cylinder engines, which is what made me think that for steady-state driving like that Lutz might be on to something with his idea for turbo 4s in the Buicks. I bet that Lacrosse you rented would use 1/3 less gas on the highway with the turbo 4, while still having plenty of pick-up for freeway ramps and around town.

But it would have to be a less powerful engine than the one in the Solstice, because that one did no better for fuel economy in GM testing than their 3.6 V-6 when they tested it in the Camaro. Plus that one is more powerful than Buick's current base engine for Lacrosse and Lucerne.

Maybe the biggest problem for the future of Buick is how will they kill their twin reputations for being (1) rental cars, and (2) cars for old old people driving their final car into those twilight years?

I don't think it is a problem that Buicks have the rep of being cars for non-drivers (floaty, disconnected, "rolling sofas", etc), as Toyota has made a killing selling Camrys with exactly the same rep.

Welp, I'm old school and have this irrational fear of turbos. There may be a bunch of AARP eligible people like me shopping Buicks who would prefer a V6.

I don't rent all that often but this is the first Buick I can remember ever having (the rental places were sold out so I wound up renting from a Buick dealer on that trip).

There was a lot to like about the Buick. Comfy for the two of us, lots of gadgets to play with and I liked the way it drove, although it did have a bad pull to the right that I attributed to the tires or a curb hit by the last driver. The back up sensor saved the bumper when I was parking it in Chicago.

Old, old drivers? My 87 year old mom recently gave up her keys - she drove a 1990 Mazda Protege off the lot new into the twilight, after driving Buicks all during her 30's and 40's. But my elderly mom-in-law swapped her BMW for a Buick 5 years ago.

Sorry, I'm rambling here. I've never spent any time in a Camry or Accord to really compare, and spend most of my drive time is in a wagon or minivan. The last sedan I rented was a base '07 Mustang and the Buick was light years ahead of it for what I needed.
    Well, from my recent experience in a Mustang, I would say that just about anything on the road would be light years ahead of it. I do find it telling that coming out of a minivan, you liked the way the Lacrosse drove. In terms of my personal preferences, even in a large car for highway cruising I would prefer it not drive similar to a minivan.

But I think a large Buick with a direct injected, 2.0L turbo four could end up rated somewhere around 25/35 EPA and still have plenty of power for everything people need their large cars to do. And that would be a huge step forward in terms of fuel economy for Buick.

The basic facts of life are that the turbo 4 in the Sky/Solstice does not get over 30 MPG, so a turbo 4 in the Lucerne probably would not either. However, with a hybrid turbo 4, 35 is possible. The Lacrosse on the eps II platform might get better economy with a turbo 4 if, and only if it is designed for the 4. That means designing the Lacrosse eps II to be much lighter weight, using carbon fiber perhaps. But with a carbon fiber body, the Volt system would make more sense.
    Yes, but what you forget is that the turbo in the Solstice is a low-tech, high-hp engine. I would be looking for the Buick turbo to have DI (which allows them to raise the compression ratio and thereby lower the boost, so that the engine can run with very little boost in steady state highway cruising - imagine how much gas a 2L naturally aspirated engine uses running at 70 mph, and think of how high that highway mileage could go) and also to make less power than the Solstice engine - the current Buicks only make like 220, so it would be OK if the proposed turbo 4 made about that much power too, I would think.