Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra - where's the snow plow prep package ?

cthuskiecthuskie Member Posts: 11
edited May 2014 in Toyota
Anyone have any idea why Toyota seems
reluctant to offer a Snow Plow Prep Package
on the Tundra ?

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Most current half-tons are too nose-heavy and the front ends rated too low to offer a legitimate snow plow package. Add 500-700 pounds of plow and hydraulic equipment, plus the weight of the snow, and you're putting way more pressure on the front suspension than it was intended to handle.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • cthuskiecthuskie Member Posts: 11
    Of our 3 American manufacturers ( Chevy , Ford & Dodge ) ;
    BOTH Chevy ( Silverado 1500 ) & Ford ( F-150 ) offer Snow Plow Prep Packages ,
    both currently and in past years , that are definately "legitimate" in their form & function. That's 2/3 of the "original three" companies.
    If the majority of Americans can do it , sure seems like Toyota & Nissan ,
    could do it , if they wanted.
    Certainly Chevy & Ford are not creating a "ruse" , offering snow plow prep packages, that cannot stand up to the task. In reality , Chevy & Ford 1500s with
    snow plows are everywhere , and I have not heard of any class action lawsuits
    being brought against either company for "promoting" snow plowing by offering
    snow plow prep packages on vehicles not designed to withstand the rigors of snow plowing.
    In other words , my original question remains for the most part - unanswered.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Without knowing your location, I can tell you that most plows here in NJ are 3/4-ton 4x4s. Snowfall here will range from an inch to 3 feet, so not buying enough truck to handle what may occur can cost you around here... because someone with the heavier-duty truck will be more than happy to take your business from you.

Having owned half-tons in the past, I would not do it. Also remember that Ford and GM essentially renamed their light-duty 3/4-ton trucks to the half-ton name a few years back. Those are the rigs offering the plow packages... example - the F150 has a GVWR package that rates it over 8000 pounds - that was the old light duty F250. Half-tons are generally under 7000 pounds GVWR.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Why? Because the tundra is just a soccer-mommie wanna be truck
    thats only good for trips to the school or garden store....................

They aren't made to work! Just note the recalls and complaints on those
    bad camshafts, failing transmissions and bouncing beds, lack of a REAL
    limited slip rear end among other things.....................

"Good luck on this one now!"

:lemon:
  • mtmtnwmnmtmtnwmn Member Posts: 2
    Can I put tire chains on my 07 tundra 4x4? Do they have to go on the rear tires? I live in the mtns and need to use ice bar chains in winter.
  • farmerrubefarmerrube Member Posts: 33
    Them tundra ones need to be full size before you can work them ones with a plow now. That plow will pop them tiny tundra pumkins for sure now. If you plan to work them ones any... get a full size one. We work them big3 ones hard on that farm now... and they last longest. Facts is facts. Good luck on this one now!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Tiny pumpkins? I guess you haven't seen the differential or ring gear they offer with the 5.7 V8. Most dealers have samples in the show room.

But the questions "Where's the Snow Plow Package" illustrates something I've complained about before. Toyota claims that you can "Build Your Tundra" on their web site but you really can't. The stand alone options are limited with most options being bundled into packages that are severely limiting.

I recently bought a Chevrolet Silverado because I could spec it my way: leather, tow package, but not a front console and no fancy, extra cost 18" wheels., etc. With Tundra you can't really spec out a truck but have to find which package you can live with. Then after you have chosen the package that is the best compromise you may not be able to find one. You see, Toyota doesn't let dealers buy direct but rather through regional distributors. They in turn spec out and order the vehicles. A consumer really can't order a Tundra built to his spec but has to find one that the regional distributor has already specced out.

I'm stunned that in today's economy Toyota has this extra cost layer in their distribution system and that a buyer can't order exactly what he wants.
This discussion has been closed.