Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Air Bag light won't go off on Nissan Murano

gmogmo Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Nissan
I know I have to go to the Dealer, but don't they have to repair free of charge because of Federal Safety Law??

Comments

• kevin71kevin71 Member Posts: 4
    Try This, I got this from ClubArmada.com It worked for me.

Since some of you guys here are new owners I thought I'd save you a trip to the dealer once you start modifing your armada's. I'm not sure what set's it off (other than pulling things apart) but at some point you will likely end up with a flashing airbag sensor light. Here is how to reset it yourself.

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.
  • alb3alb3 Member Posts: 1
    excellent advise - I have 2010 murano and had same issue. Followed this not sure how many times but cleared the annoying blinking airbag light :)
  • rickc519rickc519 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for these instructions but I have a question - being as this worked and the light is no longer blinking:

Does this mean that I didn't really have a problem?
    Did the sensor just have to re-set?
  • stealth878stealth878 Member Posts: 5
    Same problem with my 2007 Murano at 57k miles. Light came on out of the blue while driving locally. Light began blinking and continued non-stop without going solid or blinking intermittently. I followed the above-mentioned directions to reset and after figuring out how to do it correctly, the light went off and did not return.

I made my appointment with my dealer but called to leave a voicemail to potentially cancel my appointment. I am waiting for a return call to advise me on how to proceed.

I don't assume anything but, given that the light went of and has not returned (it hasn't been a full 24 hours yet), does this mean it was a glitch versus a serious problem?

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!
  • av05carav05car Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Murano and the airbag light will not go off, the dealer told me the airbag would still work. I was just told by another mechanic that the air would not go off if in an accident. Can anyone confirm this fact? Also any idea of the cost to fix? can anyone fix or does it have to go back to the dealer?
  • p8reutp8reut Member Posts: 1
    My 05 Mo has been doing this now for a couple years. I just keep resetting it. It's been to the dealer twice...nothing came out of that except they did confirm the air bag will not deploy if the light is blinking. I'd really like to know what the cause is and get rid of the annoyance. Has anybody found a cure?
  • gps8gps8 Member Posts: 1

Had same problem with 2009 murano followed the advice above and problem solved cheers

• dwrightphotodwrightphoto Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Murano and tried your fix and after I finished the process it went into a different rhythm of blikiing........ Slow,slow then fast,fast, fast in that order, any other hints I can try?
  • HI, i tried this on my 2006 murano. After several attempts i got it to work. As I sat there so happy that it worked I grabbed the wheel and turned it, then the light came back. I did this a second time, it seemed to work, i sat there a good 10 minutes no light, but again as soon as i turned the wheel it came back. Any ideas what it may be? Would it be a sensor issue, or airbag replacement for sure? Please, I need to know.
  • ksmustangeksmustange Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpIq1se8to Bad clock spring. Airbag light comes back on after a reset and you turn the steering wheel
  • mkava2116mkava2116 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Nissan Murano with the same problem. However, the reset does not correct the problem (multiple attempts.) A mechanic diagnosed it with error code B1018...faulty side air bags. The airbags will not deploy in a wreck.
    Nissan has recalls for various makes and years for this exact problem, including 2009 Murano (google to see if your car qualifies). Nissan tells me recalls are VIN-specific and mine is not included...yet it is the same problem!
    Now, here's the real kicker...the design in the 2010s was such that the ENTIRE FRONT SEAT needs to be replaced. You can't just replace the sensor. So, a $2,000 repair to replace a $50 part, to correct a known safety issue.
    I have contacted several dealerships. They all referred me to Nissan North America, whose response so far is "Too bad." (phrased a little nicer than that).
    This is not fair. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • Dupio333Dupio333 Member Posts: 1
    I also have 2010 Nissan Maurano and have the same problem and ny mechanic said the same $2000 to change whole seat. What else can be done, I agree not fair. I cannot sell car. What can be done?