Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Navigation System

124»

Comments

• themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    Yup that should do it.

Unfortunately, my issue with the speeds is that the GPS software mistakes main roads for interstates and calculates the time to arrival incorrectly. I've proven this by having a route that is not on an interstate and when I adjust the interstate speed the time to arrival will change. It's especially neat when I have 5 miles to go and it is going to take me 4 mintues to get there, even more so when the interstate speed I have set is 55 MPH.

- Merg
  • arto7arto7 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    I know that a forum is going to focus on problems encountered for assistance in fixing them or in warning other forum users. However, I am planning to buy a 2011 Sonata SE in the next couple of weeks and was planning on getting the Nav/Sunroof upgrade. For those who have done so - buyer's remorse or happy you did?
  • kenlight1kenlight1 Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2010
    I have the Limited 2009 with NAV. Love the Nav but could have done without the sunroof as I am 6' 3". Actually I only use the sunroof when reminded by my girlfriend, otherwise I would never use it (in two years she only reminded me twice). I had a removable NAV for my last car and thought I wouldn't like the one in the Sonata, however after using it on a trip I liked it much better as it would always show in advance the direction of the next turn in the upper right.
    Thanks for the info. I have heard similar from some other people - I never think about it but my kid always asks me to open it - kind of thing. The dealer I have been talking to suggested an aftermarket sunroof but, even though I hear that is better now, my wife and I both remember the days of people with leaking sun roofs they had installed. I would still want the stereo upgrade and when you need nav it is nice to have so I think getting the package is still the way to go.
    Well, it turns out that my Nav System is on the recall list. When I brought my Sonata in for service in May I was told that there was a recall on it, but after the service everything seemed to be the same. Today when I was looking at the invoice while trying to figure out what service I need now, I noticed a comment that they did nothing with my Nav system since I had purchased a Map Update for it and that I needed to call Hyundai Customer Service.

When I called customer service, I was told that they might look at having the Nav system replaced and then reimbursing me for the cost of the Map Update since I upgraded a defective unit. I brought my car in for service and the service manager stated that he is going to try to figure something out for me. We'll see what happens.

- Merg
    Has anyone here purchased the 2010 map update for the 2009 Sonata? If so, can you post the software version and map version that you now have installed?

Thanks,
    Merg
  • wayshiwayshi Member Posts: 2
  • wayshiwayshi Member Posts: 2
    I love my 2011 sonata limited but was supposed to be all black when it arrived but instead it was black outside and grey inside ( dealer said that was hyundai's black ) crap.. in the brochoure it shows all black interior ( hyundai brochoure are crap, full of picks they can't deliver ). I purchased the $2000.00 Nav system as well....it's crap my $200.00 GARMIN NUVII 360 blows it out of the water. It only covers commercial addresses ie: if you want a harveys or big mac it can direct you there no problem but if want want something really exotic like your or some one you know.... HOME ADDRESS forget it and if you wish to STAY OFF THE 407 series highways which it LOVES to direct you onto...forget it your screwed you may as well just turn it off and go back to your NUVII 360. The blue tooth seems to work in some area's ok.
    Am I sorry I purchased this car NOT ON YOUR LIFE.
    BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK OUT THERE.
  • nstuffnstuff Member Posts: 25
    They JUST posted a brand new version for our navi dated 9/13/2010. Cost is still $200. I sent them a message to see if they know of any differences from prior versions. They make a big deal saying the version number is now 3.x. We go through this every update and they never seem to know what was changed other than "new poi and addresses." I'll report if they say anything worthwhile.

As for the version from earlier this year, i never bought it as i didn't think it was worth $200 for only a year's worth of updates.
    I'm actually getting this V3 one. Due to a recall on my system, I need to have it replaced, but needed a new Map Update disc since my one from 2009 could not be used on the new system. I ordered the 2010 update back on 08/31 and after a week of it not shipping out I called. I was told the 2010 update was backordered, but they would be getting in the 2011 version and would send me that instead. It shipped yesterday and is due for delivery on Friday. It will be installed with my new Nav System on Monday.

I'll update with more info after my update on Monday. Fortunately, it seems like Hyundai is actually going to reimburse me the $199 since a recall is causing me to purchase a new update.

- Merg
    do you know the TSB # for the recall? I'd be curious to see if my navi was included. Last time i got service at the dealer, i asked them to review all TSB's for my car and they only found the firmware update for the transmission.

Congrats on getting the new version and also getting it free. I look forward to your post of any changes and bug fixes.
    edited September 2010
    The code on the invoice from the dealership says:

"TA6 09 NF NAVIGATION REPLACE 10-01-011"

I also had the transmission system update as well when I went in this past time, too.

From what it seems like, I should have had the Nav System replaced back in May, but the tech refused to do it then because I had updated the map.

And, hopefully, Hyundai will reimburse me. I need to send in the invoice once the Navigation System is replaced along with receipts from my two map update purchases. After that they will make a decision.

- Merg
    edited September 2010
    Just found this on the web posted in June 2010...

2009 SONATA NAVIGATION SYSTEM REPLACEMENT
    (CAMPAIGN TA6)

IMPORTANT: DEALERS MUST PERFORM THIS CAMPAIGN ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WHENEVER AN AFFECTED VEHICLE IS IN THE SHOP FOR ANY MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR.

IMPORTANT: WHEN A VEHICLE ARRIVES AT THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT, ACCESS HYUNDAI MOTOR
    AMERICA'S "WARRANTY VEHICLE INFORMATION" SCREEN VIA WEBDCS TO IDENTIFY OPEN CAMPAIGNS.

DESCRIPTION:
    This bulletin describes the procedure to remove and replace the Sonata navigation unit.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
    2009 Sonata vehicles equipped with the Navigation System that were sold between September 1, 2008 to February 28, 2009.

PARTS INFORMATION:

PART NAME ----------------------PART NUMBER
    Navigation Unit------------------ 00201-F9005 FLT

Here's a link to the PDF... http://www.myhyundaiforums.com/10-01-011.pdf

Looks like it came out in February.

- Merg
    cool. good info, just wish it talked about *why* there was a recall. I'll bug the dealer again next time i make a visit.
    My service advisor stated that it was because of lockups and the system freezing on the Hyundai logo screen. I haven't had that issue except for maybe once not long after I got the car and restarting the car took care of it.

- Merg
  • 97prime97prime Member Posts: 1
    The Nav system on my newly purchased, brand new, otherwise perfectly running 2011 Sonata (Aug 30, 2010) does not recognize my home address (in an older neighborhood in northern New Jersey), which is an odd number, but does recognize my neighbor across the street who has an even house number. It also doesn't recognize the address of my relative a who lives 3 blocks away and also has an odd address, but similarly recognizes the neighbor across the street who has an even house number. The service dept at the dealership first tried updating the unit with the newest CD update; that didn't work. On the latest visit they tried replacing the Nav with another new unit, but the problem persists--appears there is a ?software bug in the new Navs. An older unit had no problem recognizing my address. A case # has been opened with Hyundai. Anybody else experiencing something similar? Are there any other associated problems I haven't yet discovered?
    Well, it seems that my new Nav System is has more issues than my recalled system. At least 3 times the first week and now at least 4 times this past week, when I start my car, nothing comes on the Nav System. Everything still works if I touch the screen in the right places; I just can't see anything. Not even the Hyundai Logo appears when turning on the car. I took it back to the dealer and they are going to replace it again.

The new map/software upate seems to be doing well. The software version is now displayed as v017. I noticed that my iPod shuts off when the car is turned off, so they definitely updated the software. They have not corrected the issue with the Random feature in that if you select a different input or use the tuner dial to change a song, the Random option turns off. The option should remain set at all times, even after the car is turned off and on (store it in the system registry just like the preset radio stations).

While one place I go still is not correct on the map even though the streets changed there about 3 years ago, other new streets where I frequent are correct now. The map also seems to route a little better now too. One route I would take would actually have a shortcut between two roads. In the past, it would never route me on that road. It now will do so.

I'll update with more info if I see anything else.

- Merg
    really stinks you went through all those problems with the navi. Also kinda stinks the new v3 update doesn't appear to have a huge amount of fixes/changes. The ipod turning off would be a very welcome fix though. Slightly annoying to hear the first song on the ipod every morning because the battery died and upon bootup, it plays the first song on the list.

I was hoping that since they made a big deal out of it being "version 3" that it would have other changes. Not even Apple expects people to pay a premium for a new ipod without giving some indication of what you get for your money.
    Well, the shut-off of the iPod is not as perfect as I thought. Sometimes it seems to shut off and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, since my old battery was basically not holding a charge, I replaced it with one from ebay. So now the new one is not staying charged very long, but I don't know if it's the iPod itself or the new battery.

On a positive note, Hyundai Consumer Affairs has approved my request for reimbursement of the nav update software.

- Merg
    good luck getting the check. I've dealt with Hyundai directly before and it was a mostly positive experience. They have a call center out in western USA and everyone was very friendly. Just took lots of follow-up calls. :)

Guess i was hoping for some other changes. Just saw they came out with a new TSB for the navi... probably similar TSA that was used to replace yours. Campaign TA6 for the 2009 NF. TSB doesn't mention why it's being replaced, only that the TSB calls for them to replace the whole navi unit.

On a side note, i have several ipod nanos that i swap out in the car and using the same official hyundai cable, i've noticed the older ipod would regularly stay on when i turn off the car, while the newer nano's seem to turn off as they are supposed to.
    Well, within just about 2 weeks of getting it approved, I got the reimbursement check.

As for the iPod issue, I have noticed that my wife's iPod, which is a 5th generation (?), the one after the iPod Video, does turn off.

- Merg
  • ken2011ken2011 Member Posts: 11
    2011 LIMITED T WITH NAV. CAN A IPOD BE USED WITH THE NAV, AND IF SO, IS THERE A SPECIAL CORD NEEDED??

THANKS FOR ANY INFO.
    KEN
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    You just need a mini stereo cable to plug it in to the Aux port and change songs with the device. You need the iPod cable to see the song information on the screen and change songs with the car stereo controls.
    Spend the $30 for the Hyundai iPod cable. You won't be disappointed.

- Merg
    I second Merg's advice. With the cable I can go through the iPod menus on the nav screen, see what is playing, play playlists, and, of course, control next previous and volume from the steering wheel controls.
This discussion has been closed.