Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Dealers have prices now. In fact, I just received my first two in this afternoon! I have a Mazda3 s Sport 6-speed and a Mazda3 s GT w/ tech automatic.

I have yet to drive them, for they are getting preped in the shop, however, they look great! That "smile" is not nearly as obtrusive in person. The interior quality is second to none. It absolutely smokes the Corolla and Civic in terms of quality of materials as well as build quality. The seats just hug you and the driver focused cockpit is simply amazing.

I was very worried about the front before I saw it in person. Not now. This car will sell, and sell very very well.

I will post back after I drive it!
  • gwrace1gwrace1 Member Posts: 24
    aviboy97

I noticed they did away with one of the gauges on the 2010 model. What did they do with the engine temperature and fuel gauge that was on the 2009 model?

In looking at pictures it's very hard to tell. Thanks for all the info.

David
    Well I received replies from 3 of the 5 dealers I contacted here in South Texas. They all have received several of the new model 2010 Mazda3 sedans. No hatchbacks have been reported yet but at least they are starting to arrive.

David
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'm going to have to give you guys up in a few days... send you to the Sedans board and the Hatchbacks board. Bookmark this discussion now if you haven't already - the URL won't change but you won't be able to find it on the Future Vehicles board in a few days.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• zar1zar1 Member Posts: 24
    O.K., I'm not saying that this is the most critical factor in my vehicle selection, but can anyone tell me if a normal set of golf clubs will fit in the trunk of a Mazda 3 sedan without putting the back seat down?

Thanks.
    BTW - Aviboy, we're all looking forward to your take after driving the 2010 next week!
  • mandymusikamandymusika Member Posts: 42
    Any info in regards to the Ipod integration?
  • griswaldgriswald Member Posts: 33
    My wife and I both agree that the new one looks really cool in person and makes her 2008.5 look old and out of date by comparison. Change is hard for some, but each to their own I guess. ;)
  • tgassetttgassett Member Posts: 20
    AVI - I was at my local dealer today and he doesn't have a new one yet. He was trying to pull up pricing on a new base S Sport Automatic that retails for $20,210 by trying to order it (or something along those lines) but his system kept showing approx $20,700. He didn't act like he knew what he was doing anyway. I asked him why his price was different than the price released by Mazda. He didn't know why. He said maybe these had an installed option that he couldn't see. Does this make any sense to you? Do you know why he was not able to pull up a 2010 at $20,210? Any help is appreciated. I will just be glad when I am able to see one in a few days. I just don't understand why his numbers showed the $500 difference.
  • jasonsk287jasonsk287 Member Posts: 2
    I stopped by my local dealer yesterday just to check what he had, and he had two 2010s that just came in. Saw them on the lot. S Sport Automatic in black for $20,210...and S Grand Touring Auto for $25,700. Grand Touring was gray and S sport was black. Look very nice in person...smile is not as noticeable.
  • marsdogmarsdog Member Posts: 9
    Is this a US dealer? If so where? I'm anxious to see one here in SoCal and give it a test ride. Thanks!
    What did they do with the engine temperature and fuel gauge that was on the 2009 model

The fuel gauge is in the lower center of the gauge cluster. It is digital reading like this ( E----|----F). There is no more temperature gauge now, but there is a temp icon that looks like a funny looking sail boat that will light up if the engine is running hot.
    Sorry guys, I have not had an opportunity to drive the 2010 Mazda3 just yet. Since it is end of month, I have been really busy (thank God!!!).

I was playing around with the GT w/ tech that I have and was fiddling with the MID system. It's really useful for many reasons. First, it does more then show your various fuel economy readings, but, also gives you real-time maintenance updates for fluids and tires. The display is very vibrant and easy to read, even though the screen is far away and not very big.

I like the idea of the nav system being small. Mazda really went after the Garmin type nav system with integration. There is no need for a 7 in nav screen, although they are nice. This makes nav more affordable, and is still pretty useful.

I have spent some good time in the interior and I have noticed that Mazda has payed huge attention to detail. This interior is so much better then the first gen Mazda3. There are also a lot of soft touch materials, and the car just has a more solid, quality feel to it. I'm not saying that the first gen was not quality, but, the 2010 is just better.

When you park a 2009 next to the 2010, the 2009 really looks dated.....I know, I know...I can't believe it either, considering that the 2009 still looked far more advanced then anything else out there.

I also took notice that there are many personalization features that can be customized, just like the 2009 Mazda6.

Anyway, Mazda is comming for training on Monday, as I said a few days ago. I'm eager to learn how this new Mazda3 works.
    aviboy97

Thank you for the information. I wonder if this was a cost cutting action. Cheaper to install a two gauge cluster instead of 3. A little disappointing.

One last question. Can you tell me if the rear seats in the hatchback lay down completely flat like in the Honda Fit?

Each of the 3 dealers here in the Austin, TX area received 4 2010 sedans this week.
    I plan to stop by for a look this weekend. I'll be waiting for the hatchback. Just seems like it has more functionality.
    AVI - when should we be able to build one (2010) on mazdausa.com and check inventory online?
    AVI - when should we be able to build one (2010) on mazdausa.com and check inventory online?

You can build one on cars.com. They seem to be the first. Checked edmunds, kbb and carsdirect but they don't list the 2010 yet.
  • familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    I had the opportunity to drive both the 09 and 10 Mazda 3 today. The wife says the difference is like comparing coach with first class. We both agreed the grill looks like a smiley face on the 10. However, the inside materials and ride quality were far superior on the 10. We're going to wait until April-May to check on the Honda Insight and compare with the civic and 3. Right now, I would have to say I'm leaning towards the 3. Nice car!
  • gamejo1gamejo1 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if the 3 was gonna have dual power seats? cuz in everything i've read, its given me mixed messages saying "power seats" but the pacage says 3-mem power drivers seat.
  • jasonsk287jasonsk287 Member Posts: 2
    marsdog-

Dealer is on eastern Long Island, NY. I'd be sure that other dealers in my area have them too, if he has them.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    We both agreed the grill looks like a smiley face on the 10.

Were I interested in one, I think it'd have to be black to hide that :D look a bit.
    We went to look at the newly arrived 2010 sedans that arrived this week. The wife instantly changed her mind and opted for a 2009 S Grand Touring Hatchback.

We pick it up tonight. Best price we could get on a 2010 was 500 off MSRP with a custom order and a wait of 2-3 months.

The 09 was loaded with every option/accessory accept for NAV. Walked off with $3000 off MSRP, $1000 cash back from Mazda and zero percent financing for 36 months and a potential tax credit for the sales tax.

To good a deal to pass up and she's happy with the Copper Red Mica and Black Leather interior.
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    I did the same. After seeing the 2010 I decided to buy the 2009 S Sport Hatchback. I also got $3,000 off MSRP. The 2010 does not have an engine temperature gauge and I don't trust idiot lights. If there is a coolant leak or thermostat problem I would like to know when it is getting hot not when it is already hot. I also prefer the styling both in and out on the 09. So even with the refinements done on the 2010 I''ll take the 09. Enjoy!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "If there is a coolant leak or thermostat problem I would like to know when it is getting hot not when it is already hot."

Sorry, but the temperature gauge on the 2009 Mazda3 will not be able to tell you that. Said another way, if it registers "Hot", it's already too late. Why? Because the needle will continue to point to the "Normal" position until a certain threshold has been reached, and then suddenly jump to the "Hot" position.

I too prefer real temperature gauges, however, what passes for a "temperature gauge" in the era of OBD-II is what could best be described as an idiot needle. In other words, it essentially has three states, cold, normal, and overheated, and this applies to all cars with a gauge from all manufacturers, bar none.

I'm not sure what it is about the OBD-II specifications that preclude manufacturers from putting a real temperature gauge in their cars, but I haven't driven a single car since the mid to late 1990s that had a real gauge, my Mazdas, Dodges, VWs and BMWs included.

With all that said, I suppose an OBD-II style idiot needle is slightly more desirable compared to an idiot light, but not by much.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Are you sure about VW? My wife's 2005.5 Jetta has actual temperatures shown on the guage and I think where it points does vary...unlike my Mazda6 which is always right in the middle as soon as it is barely warm enough to provide a little heat.

I don't think it has anything to do with OBD II, I think the change to the "idiot needle" cam about because too many of us are idiots and would be concerned that the needle was pointing a bit toward the hot side, while still well below the red danger area.
    Walked off with $3000 off MSRP, $1000 cash back from Mazda and zero percent financing for 36 months

Does the $3000 off include the rebate or did you actually get $4000 off, after the rebate is considered?
    Am I 100% sure that all temperature gauge equipped cars with OBD-II have idiot needles? No. Am I 90% sure? Yes.

Regarding your wife's Jetta, once the needle gets up to the "normal" spot, I'd be very surprised if it varies even a single degree (in travel not in temperature), regardless of what's actually happening under the hood.

FWIW, I've owned a number of pre-OBD VWs and Audis, and the temperature gauges were very lively, even to the point of being able to tell exactly when the thermostat opened following a cold start. That said, my last VW (a Passat) had a temperature gauge that, once it moved to "normal", was deader than a doornail.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Hey Everyone-

Mazda decided to come today for training, as opposed to yesterday because of the blizzard we had. So, here are my thoughts...

Content:

There is much more valuable features in the 2010 Mazda3 like DSC/ TSC on all Mazda3's from the i Touring on up. The MID on the "s" models is very useful and very easy to read. The GT trim has so much content, and the price stayed the same as an 09. The nav system is based off of an SD card, which is a lot easier to update, as well as maintain. The SD card system also makes updates and future modifications to the nav system much easier.

I really like the adaptive front-lighting system. There is no car in this class that offers this, as well as bi-xenon headlights. The GT is really big bang for your buck.

Interior:

The interior materials and build quality are much better then the 09. It's probably one of the nicest interior I have ever seen. All controls are driver focused and easy to use. Even the nav controls on the steering wheel are easy to figure out, and only takes about 5 min to learn all the buttons on the steering wheel. They operate very similar to the outgoing model.

The seats are more supportive and made out of higher quality material. Mazda also extended the seat bottom an extra inch for those of us with long legs (I'm 6'3", so, I love it!) and an extra inch on the seat back.

Noise:

Road noise has been drastically reduced! This car is quiet! For those of us who are familiar with the first gen, there is a lot of road noise, and bumps can easily be heard in the cabin. Mazda basically eliminated this. You can hardly even hear the engine going, unless the RPM's are high.

Road feel:

The car handles just as good as the 1st gen. The frame is stiffer by using 40% more high tensile steel then gen1. The suspension also has stiffer bushings, creating a stiffer ride, however, since the car rides so much more quiet, you cannot hear the car absorbing those bumps.

Looks:

Purely subjective. The photos do the car no justice. The car looks much better in person. I stopped at the Vitamine Shoppe today in the 2010 Mazda3 to pick up some supplements, and the sales guy came in to my store early this afternoon to take a closer look at it. He loved the front end. While the front end is controversial, it's not as bad in person as the pics. It is actually growing on me. I never thought that would happen, but, I'm starting to like it.

The rest of the car is beautiful. The rear is really stylish.

Overall:

I really like this car. I am probably going to consider it to replace my Mazda6 with. I'm also really happy that the pricing is virtually the same. That's a big thing, considering our economy.

This car will sell well. I really like it. The test drive is what really sold me. It really is much better then the 09. I didn't think that was possible, but, Mazda did it. They improved on perfection. Kudos.
  • Susie3mhsSusie3mhs Member Posts: 8
    Wow!!
    Excellent comments. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated.
    Can't wait to get my hands on my Grand Touring Hatchback!!
    Cheers,
    Susie
    Susie-

I will let you know when you can expect to see them on dealer lots. Mazda has not shipped any just yet.
  • Susie3mhsSusie3mhs Member Posts: 8
    Thank you so much!!
    You're the best...wish you were closer so I could give you the sale :cry:
    Best,
    S
    My local dealer has one (hatchback) in Liquid Silver. GT automatic. It is beautiful. It came in Friday night with the 4-door. Both look great.
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    So it sounds like the gauge works off a temperature switch like an idiot light and not an actual sending unit. Yes, I have noticed the sudden spikes that the temp gauge makes in my 09. My 2004 Dodge responds gradually like older vehicles. While it is a slight dissapointment I would still take the gauge over the warning light. According to Avi it sounds like the road noise is improved as compared to the 09. And I was hoping it was just the tires.
    While I won't claim that my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring is the quietest car in the world (not by a long shot), it did get noticable quieter when I yanked the crappy Goodyear Eagle RS-As at 714 miles and had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires mounted in their place.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    According to Avi it sounds like the road noise is improved as compared to the 09

Improved is an understatement. The 2010 is near silent compared to gen1.
    While I won't claim that my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring is the quietest car in the world (not by a long shot), it did get noticable quieter when I yanked the crappy Goodyear Eagle RS-As at 714 miles and had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires mounted in their place.

I'm in search of 17" tires to replace my Michelin Pilot's on my Mazda6. They are loud, and makes the ride a little to harsh for my tastes. The ride quality has greatly diminished since the tires have really begun to wear.
  • emily23emily23 Member Posts: 8
    IT'S COLOSSAL!!!!!!
    IT'S TREMENDOUS!!!!
    IT"S AS IF MAZDA HAS INVENTED THE CAR ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!
    I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT ONE!!!!!

THE MODEL I LOOKED AT WAS 25.5K!!!!
    WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DEAL!!!!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE MODEL I LOOKED AT WAS 25.5K!!!!
    WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DEAL!!!!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

We are all entitled to an opinion. No question about that. However, in reference to the $25,500 sticker you saw, name another car that has an MSRP of $25,500 that you can get the following in......

167hp/168tq engine
    6-speed manual / 5-speed auto
    leather / variable heated seats / power driver seat w/memory
    keyless entry & push button start
    navigation
    Bluetooth 2.0 w/ Bluetooth audio
    bi-xenon hi and low beams
    adaptive rotating head lights
    TCS / DSC
    MID (fuel econ, real time maintainence update)
    17" allow wheels
    Bose s
    surround sound w/ 10 speakers
    moon roof
    antitheft alarm
    .....just to list a few features.....

....most importantly, you get more equipment then a 2009 GT w/nav for $300 LESS!!!!!

Now, if you are penny wise, then buy an 09 because of the aggressive Mazda support.
  • mandymusikamandymusika Member Posts: 42
    This might seem like a silly question, but is there anhors in the back of the hatchback model that could be used to anchor down a cat carrier? I am looking to buy a couple of carriers for my cats that allow me to tether them to the vechile (much safer for them in an accident) but am wondering if hte mazda 3 has availble anchors for this? Maybe I could use the LATCH? Do you think it's accessible from the back of the hatch?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    That's not a silly question at all. I don't know about any anchors or tie-downs (aviboy should have an answer for that), but have you tried placing the carriers behind the front seats on the floor, using both the front and rear seat to hold it in place? I do this all the time with my cats, and they've never moved...
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I agree, changing the crappy Goodyear tires on the car will help a lot since the tires are the source of most of the noise IMO on our 2009 Mazda3 i Touring VE. I changed the Michelin Precadas to Michelin Exaltos on my MX-5 at 17K miles and saw a huge improvement in road noise and handling in wet and dry conditions. Mazda has to get their act together and provide OEM tires that aren't a POS.

But the front wheel wells obviously needs some sound deadening material as well since you can hear sand off the roads hitting the wheel wells inside the car. Maybe some undercoating would help this.

Does anyone know what the tires on the 17" wheels are on the 2010s?
    BTW - 2010s are showing up at dealers in the Boston area this week.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I was having my oil changed and there it was in black metalic,rear lip spoiler dual ,exhaust .I think the rear looks better than front.This car has to be longer than previous Mazda 3"s. The interior was black leather and top quality.At first, I thought the car was an Infinity. The change is so pronounced.There are so many symbols on the steering wheel to get used to.The car is built around the driver every thing is at your finger tips The price was 25.5k MSRP.
    I don't see how the car can get 22_29 mpg with the auto tranny,maybe with a 5 or six speed. They have really put alot of thought into the design. It looks like a 30 to 40k automobile. I'd like to know how Honda or Toyota can match it.
    I agree for a Corolla or Civic comparison but at the 2010 Mazda prices you can get a loaded 4-cyl Accord.
    Yes, I agree ,but you won't get the torque. I think with the Honda and Toyota you will get a more comfortable ride.( I'm for that)You would get better gas milage I should think. The price of gas will go back up. How soon we forget.
    The Mada has a stiffer suspension and an engine thats pratically a six cylinder. It's a 2.5 D.O.H.C. The Honda has a single over head camshaft.
    I needed the lumbar support and Honda and Toyota didn't offer it.I have a 2008 I New value I bought May 29,09 and I have only 4000 miles on it and it's paid for.I don't use it much because of the stiff ride.
    Yes for sure. You have to lean more towards Sporty and give up the more comfortable ride when opting for a Mazda 3.
    2010 Mazda prices you can get a loaded 4-cyl Accord.

2010 Mazda3 prices have basically stayed the same as the 09 prices, and in fact,the loaded '10 GT w/ tech is less then the 09, but, has more equipment. I see the new pricing as a "job well done" by Mazda.

BTW, Honda's idea of a "loaded" Accord is leather, heated seats and a moon roof and nav. It's pretty funny that the Mazda3 s GT offers so much more then an Accord, outside of overall size and 2mpg's.
    Well, I'm going for comfort and good gas milage. Like I said I only have 4K on my Mazda and it's ten months old. :)
    don't know about any anchors or tie-downs (aviboy should have an answer for that),

I sure do!

I just got in a 2010 5-door and it is in the shop getting PDI'd. Once it's done, I will take a look and see what type of anchors it has.
    2010 Mazda3 prices have basically stayed the same as the 09 prices

While perahps nominally true, in terms of MSRP, the actual selling prices will be a lot higher, at least for a while.
  • emily23emily23 Member Posts: 8
    In CT, where Mazda shill avi seems to be located, you can get a V6 EX-L Accord for 25.6k.
    Just makes the "premium" nonsense associated with the new Mazda 3 seem even more ridiculous.
    Don't you think because the economy Mazda will deal on the 2010? I was in the waitng area of my dealership and not one coustomer came in.
    There alot of 2008's let alone 09's on lots.I don't even watch the news anymore.All you hear is that no one is spending and we will be using the "D" word soon.
    I get better sevice from Mazda than Acura. The reason is the owner of my dealership has Ford,Toyota,Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes and VW dealerships previously owned by a drone. He bought them all,cleaned house and treats everybody like royality.His sale are up 7 percent from last year. Go figure. The Big three are bleeding billions of dollars. :confuse: